Chapter 24: Wall of History
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alexander’s body swayed, almost falling over.

 

That quick flashback was too surreal for Alexander. Not only that he could see the boy’s memory, but he could also feel his drive and desire, his hope and dream, and ultimately his loss.

 

Everything was just too much, overloading Alexander’s senses.

 

His legs gave in, and Alexander fell. With his hands pushing against the ground, Alexander vomited.

 

*Blaargh*

 

Before, he could stabilise himself. Another quest appeared.

 

_ _ _

 

<Final tutorial quest: Freed but ultimately chained - In Progress>

 

<Description: You somehow managed to free Anlaf from his eternal battle. However, although he won the final battle, he ultimately lost the war. His soul has long departed the mortal coil, leaving behind an ego-driven body. 

 

Without consciousness or soul to guide his decayed body, Anlaf has regressed to doing what he remembered. That is guiding and protecting prospect recruits. Hence, you who have passed his test were delivered to one of the training fortresses.>

 

<Objective: Successfully challenge the Wall of History>

 

<Progress: 0/2503>

 

<Rewards: 15 free points, Memory Fragment, ???>

 

_ _ _

 

After stabilising himself from the memory infusion, Alexander carefully read through his new quest.

 

“Is that what you mentioned?” Alexander’s shaky hand pointed at the rewards.

 

“Yeah. I think I have said it before. You will receive a Memory Fragment once you have completed the tutorial,” Chibi Cillian nodded his head.

 

Quickly understanding the objective of this quest, Alexander asked. “This is a mind tempering test, isn’t it?”

 

“Yup!” Chibi Cillian happily replied.

 

Whilst carefully reading through the quest objective again, Alexander jested.

 

“You guys were serious about tempering. However, I didn’t expect it to be about mind tempering.” 

 

“Well, it’s both types, actually. You still have to climb this giant wall, after all. But you could argue that it primarily focused on mind tempering.”

 

Alexander gave a wry smile hearing about his brother’s meticulous training regiment. 

 

***

 

After their short conversation, Alexander looked up at the wall.

 

The gigantic wall’s smoothed initial section had defined climbing holds for the initial recruits to hold on to.

 

As the recruits progressed upwards, the wall became more jagged and unpredictable, forcing them to use their skill and quick thinking to proceed further.

 

Of course, those were just terrain challenges. For Alexander, the most worrying part about this challenge was the constant infusion of previous recruits' memories. 

 

As long as he touched the wall could constantly feel their history, struggles, ambition and determination. 

 

Furthermore, as Alexander progressed upward, he believed the input would be more intense.

 

Cillian didn’t design this to be easy after all.

 

***

 

With the challenge’s overall concept understood and not wanting to have another splitting headache, Alexander decided to brainstorm some way to cheese this quest.

 

Whilst pondering, Alexander burst into a smile. 

 

For once, he didn’t have to fight for his life.

 

After a while, Alexander looked down at his arm as his golden answer had already wrapped itself for him.

 

He moved his hand toward his back. Brandishing his Shortword as he pushed his mana towards his right-hand tattoo.

 

As a soft clank signalled the union of sword and chain, Alexander started swinging the combined weapon around, smacking it against the ground, shooting it in the air, and pulling it back down to acclimatise himself with the new equipment.

 

After some playing around disguised as testing, Alexander felt that he could start his plan. 

 

He moved back a few metres before quickly dashing forward, lobbing his Shortsword towards the highest part of the wall.

 

The Swordsword danced in the air, accompanied by the golden chain. However, the weapon scraped the side of a large rock and fell back down.

 

Undeterred, Alexander tried again. This time he was less ambitious as he lowered his angle of attack.

 

The weapon shot straight into the air. Not wanting to disappoint its master for a second time, the sword impaled itself deep into the side of the wall. 

 

Alexander gave the chain a quick yank to ensure that it was secured.

 

***

 

With his hands pulling the chain, Alexander’s legs wrapped themselves around it, ensuring no part of his body touched the wall.

 

With that, he started his climb.

 

_ _ _

 

<Final tutorial quest: Freed but ultimately chained - In Progress>

 

<Progress: 3/2503>

 

_ _ _

 

“Hahaha!” 

 

“It works!”

 

Alexander cheered as he looked back down at Chibi Cillian. However, the Chibi only gave him quick a smirk. This made Alexander feel that something was wrong.

 

Hence, he turned his head back and doubled his effort on climbing.

 

As he passed the 30 metres mark, Alexander finally realised what was wrong. The wall had increased its AOE.

 

Whispers of memories started chattering in his mind.

 

*For my family*

 

*I cannot give up yet*

 

*One more. Just one more*

 

Alexander focused his mind, forcing these distracting thoughts away and continued climbing.

 

_ _ _

 

<Final tutorial quest: Freed but ultimately chained - In Progress>

 

<Progress: 40/2503>

 

_ _ _

 

As his ascension increased, the degree of infusion grew.

 

Although they initially started with whispers, they eventually progressed to distracting senses, further to full-blown flashbacks.

 

As he passed the 50 metres mark, Alexander’s mind no longer could shield him against the powerful infusion. Just like him, it slipped.

 

***

 

*Huff*

 

“Just one more!”

 

The boy cried as he struggled to grab the next piece of rock. Yet, he continued to encourage himself.

 

“Just one more! For sis!”

 

However, as his strength depleted, his hand slipped. He tumbled straight down a 50 metres drop.

 

“Ahhhh!”

 

He screamed, trying to latch onto anything that he could. However, his descent continued to accelerate.

 

Still, he struggled, aiming for the grass and minor rocks by the side of the wall. As the boy reached for his saving grace, his hand smacked straight into them. 

 

“Ahhhh!” He cried as his hand bled.

 

Yet, he refused to give up and tried again.

 

And again.

 

Again.

 

Blood poured out from both of his bleeding hands.

 

He refused to give up even if he was only a few metres away from the ground.

 

*Thud*

0