Chapter 28: Determination
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As his small figure approached the Brobdingnagian wall, Alexander glanced up. He realised how insignificant his highest achievement was.

 

He was nowhere near its 1%. No! He highly doubted that he had even passed the 1% mark.

 

Not allowing Alexander to wail in his own doubt. A monotonous voice broke his immersion, “New recruit … must pass … the challenge … of the wall.”

 

Smiling, Alexander stopped thinking about it and stepped forward to challenge the wall once more. 

 

This time, no more cheats. Only sheer determination could help him pass this last challenge and gain his brother's Memory Fragment. 

 

Chibi Cillian stood from afar and cheered, “Good luck, kiddo!”

 

Alexander raised his hand without looking back, signalling that he got this.

 

As he moved closer, the damage he made on the wall with Shortsword became visible. 

 

Alexander knew, for now, that was his short-term goal. After observing it for a while, Alexander’s eyes abated. He connected his hand with the wall.

 

As his smooth skin touched the wall, the whispers of olds revealed themselves once more.

 

*One more time*

 

*I’m still too weak*

 

*Push on*

 

His face frowned. Yet, Alexander continued to connect his other hand with the wall.

 

*I must continue*

 

*How am I still so weak*

 

*I can beat my achievement*

 

Their emotion, ambition and dream flooded into Alexander. Unlike before, when he pushed them away, this time, it was different.

 

Alexander accepted them.

 

He will walk the path that they walked.

He will learn what they learnt.

He will practice what they practised.

 

'Follow the path of legends, and new heroes will emerge!'

 

***

 

With single-mindedness and determination, Alexander slowly scaled the incredible wall.

 

With each rock he gripped, his ascension increased. 

 

Under the cheers of the whispers of old,

 

All their desire,

All their aspiration,

All their goals,

 

channelled into him.

 

He who longer could be considered a mortal. He was transformed, transformed into their champion.

 

A champion of their beliefs. And like beliefs,

 

They might fail.

They might be repressed.

But they never die.

 

Sometimes his hand slipped. With sheer determination, Alexander pulled himself back and continued climbing

 

_ _ _

 

<Final tutorial quest: Freed but ultimately chained - In Progress>

 

<Progress: 20/2503>

 

_ _ _

Even if there were gaps between climbing holds, Alexander improvised. 

 

How could he be stopped under the encouragement of his seniors.

 

He released his golden chains, connecting to the Shortsword.

 

With a powerful swing, he slammed the weapon into the wall. After connecting it firmly, Alexander then transitioned into ascending via chains until he found new climbing holds.

 

Nothing but himself could stop Alexander from progressing.

 

_ _ _

 

<Final tutorial quest: Freed but ultimately chained - In Progress>

 

<Progress: 60/2503>

 

_ _ _

 

He had long passed his short-term goal. Yet, it was not all good news as signs of exhaustion started to manifest.

 

Heavy perspiration formed on Alexander's head and back.

 

His hands slowly became heavy.

 

His grips became weak.

 

His mind slowly reunited with his seniors.

 

Alexander's resolve hardened as he bit his lip to stay focused.

 

_ _ _

 

<Final tutorial quest: Freed but ultimately chained - In Progress>

 

<Progress: 100/2503>

 

_ _ _

 

Alexander struggled to pull himself past the 100 metres mark.

 

The intensity was too much for his second climb.

 

The memory flooded through all of his defence.

 

His mind and body slipped once more. 

 

***

 

*Huff* *Huff* *Huff*

 

“You should be more careful, lad. What would happen if I am not there to catch you!” The scarred officer scolded the young, reckless recruit.

 

Yet the boy was extremely joyful as he yelled his heart out.

 

 “I finally passed my high score!”

 

The officer slowly dropped the boy.

 

“You really did it!” He mumbled in absolute surprise.

 

*Sigh*

 

“Alright! Rules are rules. Follow me!”

 

***

 

Alexander woke up. Although, this infusion was painful as before.

 

He held himself together. He managed to somewhat hold the content of his stomach in, albeit with the occasional regurgitation.

 

Same as before, as he looked up a skeletal skull greeted him.

 

“New recruit … should … be careful.”

 

Finally allowed to express his gratitude, Alexander respectfully exclaimed, “Thank you!”

 

He also politely leapt off the skeleton’s arms.

 

After thanking the skeleton that was casually strolling away, Alexander sat on the ground to stabilise himself.

 

“Congratulation, you made great progress on your second try,” Chibi Cillian tiled and spoke with his hands behind his back.

 

Alexander, however, waved him away. He found that his effort of finishing only 0.04% of the wall was sub-optimal and shouldn’t be praised for it.

 

Chibi Cillian smiled at his determination before disappearing, letting Alexander rest.

 

***

 

Alone, at last, Alexander summoned a few Eliot Nutrients to rehydrate himself.

 

However, as a man of charming looks, he never was truly alone. 

 

Recently woken up from its slumber, a predator was staking Alexander. As the sweet and rich mango wafted through the air, the hungry being couldn’t resist and immediately charged at him. 

 

Shocked by the creature's surprising appearance, Alexander dropped his drink. He immediately drew his sword and stood in a battle-ready stance.

 

As its figure reflected in the sunlight, Alexander realised it was an adult Panthershutt. 

 

Remembering their [Stats], Alexander knew that there was no way he could outrun it. Nor could he battle it. So he deployed his tried and tested strategy, he stood defiant and let the air bellow through his vocal cord.

 

“WAHHAHHHHHHH!”

0