Chapter 1 – My fluttering heart
116 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I ran away trying hard to get away from laughing faces. I turned backwards because I was normally good at walking backwards but my eyes were full of tears so I couldn't see as well. I bumped into someone and stumbled forward. My heel caught on the edge of the pavement and I looked down as the ground became closer. My head banged sharply against it and it made more tears stream down my face. I heard laughter and people racing towards me. Suddenly I heard someone yelling then people talking. The footsteps began moving again. Away this time. I swallowed hard. A hand was placed on my shoulder and a girl was next to me, kneeling.

"Are you alright?" She asked in almost a whisper.

I looked up and confronted the girl. She had medium black frizzy hair, brown eyes, dark skin and was looking perfect in the school uniform of a black skirt, long sleeved light blue shirt, long socks, black heels and a tie. The tie was perfectly placed and every strand of her hair was in order.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"My name is Nicole. Are you okay?"

I nodded, "T-thank you." I swallowed again.

The girl smiled, "What's your name?"

"Julia." 

"That's a pretty name." Nicole stood and held out her hand to help me. 

I took it and she pulled me to my feet. The way she pulled I was pressed against her.

"I hope you don't mind me asking but . . . why were they making fun of you?"

"Because I like girls." 

"You like girls? What's so wrong with that?" Nicole looked confused.

"You don't think it's weird?"

Nicole shook her head, "No! In fact I like girls too!" She grinned and took my hand, "It's cool to finally meet someone the same, "Wanna go to lunch with me?"

"I normally skip . . ." I stared at Nicole and she frowned, "But I guess I'll come this time."

She grinned and suddenly was running. It was hard to keep up with her but I managed.

"I really hope we can be friends! What would you think of that?" Nicole asked as she ran.

"Sure! That would be great!"

"Good!" She smiled again and we ran all the way to the cafeteria.


It was weird for me. I wasn't used to being surrounded by people and even sitting with them. Nicole was next to me talking about something when one of my worst bullies, Maddy, came over.

"Hey Julia." She smirked, "Wanna be my girlfriend?"

I looked up at her surprised, "Wait . . . what?"

"No. She doesn't. Because she's already taken."

"Oh yeah? Who would like her?" Maddy looked at me, "No offense."

"Her girlfriend."

"Who's her girlfriend then?"

Nicole glanced at me then down at her food.

"Yeah, cause she doesn't!" Maddy laughed, "You seriously thought I wanted to be YOUR girlfriend?! Even if I DID like girls, which I don't, I would never like YOU!" She threw her head back and laughed harder.

"HER GIRLFRIEND IS ME!" Nicole stood and the bench pushed back.

The cafeteria fell silent.

"Y-you?" Maddy looked at her shocked, "I thought you liked GUYS."

"No. I don't."

"Prove it." Maddy said firmly.

"I will." Nicole clenched her teeth.

"You have two weeks to convince me. Good luck." Maddy turned angrily and stormed off.

"What did you just do?" I whispered harshly towards Nicole.

"I guess you'll have to really act like my girlfriend for the next two weeks then. If you have a girlfriend I'm betting people will make less fun of you. Well we're doing that, I'll try to find you an actual one!"

"Excuse me?!" I suddenly bolted up and left the cafeteria, boiling with anger.

I heard Nicole racing after me, "Julia! Wait! Let me explain!"

I stopped and faced her, "Do you know how humiliating that is?!"

Nicole stopped running and looked at me, "I'm sorry, okay? Can you just please do it?"

I sighed and my mind gave up, "Fine." 

"Yay!" Nicole jumped forward and hugged me.

My heart began to flutter and I pushed her away.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"Too close."

"You'll have to get used to it. We'll be doing stuff like this for the next two weeks."

"Two weeks?!" 

"Yeah, she said two weeks. You ready?"

"Sure."

"Oh Julia!" Maddy's voice came from down the hallway.

"You gotta trust me."

"Okay. I do." I smiled and Nicole pulled me closer, "Wait what are you going to-" 

She kissed me just as Maddy came in. 

I heard her gasp. Her footsteps came but they were going away.

Nicole pulled away, "Okay, you gotta get used to it. Sorry."

I went over and kissed her again. She wrapped her hands around me and pulled away. She hugged me, putting her head on my shoulder. Now I had a girlfriend. A girlfriend . . . sweet.

6