Chapter 3.2 – Father’s birthday
13.2k 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          The food promotion and hotel marketing strategy were thought and planned by Luo Anhai.  She believed that the rich not only loved to eat but knew how to appreciate food.  Food was an item that one cannot ignore in a lifetime, so she had personally created the revolving restaurant to attract gourmet attention.  As for the bulletproof glass, it was just a gimmick.  After all, the wealthy or anyone else for that matter was afraid of death.  And as to the architectural design, she had to run around for a few months and eventually found a master architect who agreed to design the hotel for her.  It could be said that she put in the largest part of the effort to make this hotel a success.

            But what was so great about her contribution to the hotel's success?  In her last life, she had also built up the hotel and was also dedicated to Luo Corporation.  But in the eyes of Luo Cheng He, she was insignificant…… compared to Han Ding Rui.

            In this life, although she was also personally involved in the creation of this hotel, this time, it was no longer a fight for power.  She did not have any more interest in the President's position and just wanted to enjoy the food in the restaurant just like the last time when she was a regular at the restaurant.  Even if she was not interested in the President's position, she would not be willing to hand over the position so easily.  The last time, when she built up this hotel, she was twenty-five years old and Han Ding Rui was working for Luo Corporation.  He had also worked on a few good projects for the company and thus they were rivals.

            In this life, the hotel was set up when she was eighteen years old and Han Ding Rui was only a little devil, still in school.  With her strong reputation in the business world, Luo's shareholders were all standing on her side and she wanted to see how Han Ding Rui was going to sit in the President's position.

            Luo Anhai stepped into the elevator and Han Ding Rui followed silently behind her.  The two were standing on the left and right of the elevator not looking at each other.

            Luo Anhai had a cold face and exudes a cold indifference.  Han Ding Rui could sense her bad mood and of course, did not try to converse with her.  He would not be so foolish to open his mouth and get stabbed as a result.  Leaning against the wall, he turned to look into the mirror's reflection of the two of them on the wall.  

            He looked into the mirror…..at her.  The contours of one side of her face, her long eyelashes, her straight nose, and her pursed lips…….exuding a cold, unapproachable front.

            Han Ding Rui suddenly thought of this morning.  His classmate's gossip magazine and on the cover was a photo of her.  She was held in the embrace of a brown-haired man, lightly kissing her cheek, with her lips curved in a smile……a beautiful passionate smile.

            According to the gossip magazine, she and the man, a wealthy second generation, on the cover photo was having an intimate relationship.  The magazine also listed all her romances and the longest so far had not lasted more than three months.  It also stated the number of conquests she had under her thumb, the number of men dumped by her and also those who were broken-hearted over her.

            Several students had asked him whether the gossip was true or false and he was too lazy to respond.  His eyes had been staring at her on the cover. 

            That smile…..was really strange.  At least, he had never seen it.  Luo Anhai would only show him only two types of smile…..smirking and sneering.

            "Why are you looking at me?"   The person in the mirror suddenly turned around and caught him staring at her.

            Han Ding Rui gathered his thoughts.  He looked into the mirror and saw the cold face, then thought of the magical smile on the magazine cover.  The difference left him feeling distasteful…..just like this morning.  He had grabbed the magazine from the student's hands and dumped the magazine into the trash bin.  At that time, his mood was exactly the same as now……..

            Suddenly feeling depressed, the normally expressionless Han Ding Rui could not help but retort.  "If you are not looking at me, how do you know I am looking at you?"

            Not expecting the little devil to contradict her, Luo Anhai froze and her fighting spirit instantly rose.  "You!….."

            *Ting*  The elevator door suddenly opened.  The two of them instantly closed their mouth.  Outside the door was the restaurant and the service staff had long been waiting for the elevator door to open.

            "Miss Luo, Mr. Han!"  Seeing the two of them, the service staff immediately bent over in greeting.  The manager went up to Luo Anhai and said.   "Miss……the Master and Madame are already here."

            Today, the restaurant is closed to the public.  Only the Luo Family are dining here.  Luo Cheng He and Mei Fang were waiting for them.

            Luo Anhai suppressed her anger, straightened her back and followed the Manager into the restaurant interiors.  Before coming out of the elevator, she looked daggers at Han Ding Rui.

            Luo Anhai had a sharp tongue and Han Ding Rui had become used to her for the last eight years.  He followed behind her indifferently.

            So what if she has murderous eyes? 

            They both share a common consensus.  Luo Anhai did not like to lose face in front of others and she was not interested to be fodder for gossip.  As to Han Ding Rui……he was never interested to cause trouble for himself. 

            They were led to the table by the Manager.  Mei Fang was talking to Luo Cheng He when they reached the table.  Luo Cheng He lifted his head and frowned when he saw Luo Anhai's outfit. 

            "Anhai, you….."  He was going to admonish his daughter.  Mei Fang immediately pulled at his sleeve and Luo Cheng He had to swallow the rest of his words.

            With one look at Luo Cheng He, she knew what her father wanted to say but at the same time, saw Mei Fang's gesture.  She humphed in her heart and sat down on the chair which the Manager had pulled out for her.  By her side, Han Ding Rui also sat down. 

            "Sir, can we serve the food now?"  The Manager asked Luo Cheng He.

            Luo Cheng He nodded.  The Manager immediately retreated and a short while later, the waiters quickly sent up the dishes.

            Luo Cheng He likes Chinese food and so Chinese cuisine was served today.  Altogether there were ten dishes and a soup consisting of meat and vegetables.  The food was rich and delicious.

            Mei Fang ladled a bowl of mushroom chicken soup for Luo Cheng He.  "Come, drink your soup first.  Warm your stomach."   And then, she handed another bowl of soup to Luo Anhai and gently said.  "Anhai, your stomach has always been bad.  Drink the soup first before you start to eat." 

            Luo Anhai looked at the soup that Mei Fang handed her.  She did not say anything and reached out to take the bowl from Mei Fang.  Her attitude towards Mei Fang had always been lukewarm even though how much Mei Fang had tried to please her, her attitude had always been unresponsive.

            "Anhai, don’t you know how to say 'thank you'?"   Luo Cheng He could not stand his daughter's cold attitude and reminded her.

            Luo Anhai pretended not to hear, bowed her head and quietly drank her soup.  Anyway, the old man did not scold her like he wanted her dead.

            "It doesn’t matter."   Mei Fang patted her husband's hand, smiled and said.  "It is not necessary to say 'thank you' in the family."

            Then she looked at Han Ding Rui and laughingly said.  "Xiao Rui, you must also drink a bowl of soup."   As she was speaking she handed him a bowl of soup.

            "Mom, it's alright.  I will do it myself."   Han Ding Rui did not let his mother helped him and began to ladle his own soup.  Then he looked towards Luo Cheng He and said.  "Uncle Luo, Happy Birthday."   He took out a beautiful red box from his bag.  "This is for you."

            "Oh?  I have a gift!"   Luo Cheng He looked surprised.  He took the box, opened it and saw two emerald rings sitting snugly in the box.

            "This emerald is very beautiful."   The luster of the green was almost transparent and with one look, Mei Fang liked it very much.

            "Mom, this set of double rings is for Uncle Luo and you."

            Although Mei Fang liked the ring, she knew that the price of the rings was expensive.  She frowned and asked.  "This is definitely very expensive.  Where did you get the money to buy this?"

            "I earned it."   Han Ding Rui occasionally traded in stocks and futures.  Earning and losing was the norm but he had earned more than he lost and therefore had saved quite a sum of money.  He did not let his mother know because Mei Fang definitely would not allow him to speculate on the market.

            Mei Fang's brow wrinkled even more tightly.  "How did you earn this money?  What work are you doing?  Are you neglecting your studies?"

            "It's alright, Fang Fang"    Luo Cheng He prevented Mei Fang from questioning her son further.  He had known that Han Ding Rui was investing in stocks and did not think it was anything bad.  Anyway, he should widen his experience and this was considered a good experience for him.  "Xiao Rui is very smart and has his own way of earning money.  Don’t worry.”

            "Yes, mother, I know."   Han Ding Rui nodded helplessly.

            "You need not worry.  Xiao Rui is sensible."   Luo Cheng He tried to speak up for Han Ding Rui.  He took out the lady's emerald ring.

            "Come, I'll help you to put it on.  Your hands are fair and look nice wearing emerald."

            "Don’t exaggerate."   Mei Fang threw her husband a glance.

            Luo Cheng He and Han Ding Rui laughed.

            Luo Anhai quietly ate her food.  Four people sitting together at the same table but she was like an outsider.  She did not want to integrate and concentrated on filling her tummy.

            Mei Fang saw Luo Anhai sitting alone as if she was left in the cold.  She quickly picked up a piece of 'lion head' and put it onto Luo Anhai's small plate.  "Anhai, this 'lion head' is very tasty, you must try this."

           (Lion Head is a meatball dish either stewed in soup or braised with sauce.  The name is derived from the size of the meatballs which can range from the size of a golf ball to the size of a fist.)

            Luo Anhai stretched out her chopsticks, bypassing the 'lion head' on her small plate and directly aimed her chopsticks at the main plate of 'lion head'.  The atmosphere at the table suddenly dropped and out of the corner of her eye, she could see Luo Cheng He's face sink. 

            She lifted her lips in a curve, her hand holding the chopsticks made a natural turn and picked up a strand of green vegetables on the main plate and slowly put the vegetable on her small plate.  She looked at them in faked puzzlement.  "What is wrong?  Can't I pick vegetables from the plate?"

            Han Ding Rui sighed in his heart.  He knew that her action was deliberate and creating havoc was her specialty.

            Luo Cheng He was frowning.  Mei Fang quickly spoke up before her husband could say anything.  "Anhai, if you like to eat vegetables, you should eat more.  Look how thin you are"    She picked up a few more strands of vegetables and put them on a small plate for her and at the same time, pulling on her husband's sleeve under the table.

            Luo Cheng He did not want to lose his temper but he really did not know how to get along with his daughter.  At the time when his daughter was young, he had been busy.  For a long time, he did not have feelings for his wife and when he did not pay much attention to her, the feelings of the father and daughter were also growing apart.  The two of them had been alienated for such a long time, so he did not know how to treat his daughter anymore.

            Luo Anhai's business acumen and management were very good and when outsiders expressed their admiration for his daughter's achievement, it made him proud.  But when facing Luo Anhai, he did not know how to communicate with her nor did he know how to praise her and thus father and daughter were almost like strangers when they meet.

            It was not that he did not want to change the existing situation but Luo Cheng He really did not know how to do it.  After thinking for a while, he picked a topic and tried to converse with her.  "Anhai, I heard that you are now going out with Hunter's second son, Baker."

            Luo Anhai lifted her eyebrows at her father.  When did he start taking an interest in her love life?

            Han Ding Rui frowned.  Hunter's Baker?  Could it be that man featured in the weekly magazine?

            Luo Cheng He gave a light cough.  "Today, I received a call from Hunter Family.  Their intention is to let you and Baker get engaged first.  What do you think?"

           "What?  Engage?"  Mei Fang was surprised.  "Anhai is only twenty-two years old.  She is still young.  Isn't the Hunter Family too anxious?"

            Luo Cheng He smiled.  "I heard it was Baker's intention to get engaged and he likes Anhai very much.  He wishes to get engaged with Anhai.  What do you think?"   He turned to ask his daughter.

            Luo Anhai's response was to take out her phone and dialed a number.  "Baker, I'm breaking up with you…….No, nothing is wrong…..  Just wanted to break up, that's all…….just playing around……  Don’t be so serious…..  That's it"   She decisively hung up the call, turned off her phone and looked up at Luo Cheng He with lifted eyebrows.  "Any more questions?"

            "You……."  Luo Cheng He began to feel the beginning of a headache and started to massage his temple with his fingers.  "Anhai, how many boyfriends did you have.  Can't you settle down?"

            Luo Anhai shrugged her shoulders.  "Settle down and later separate?  I think that would not be nice.  Anyway, I do not have any interest in helping others raise their children."   She said indifferently.  As she had expected, Luo Cheng He's face turned green.

            Oh damn, she should have controlled her mouth!  Luo Anhai felt a little regretful but she could not bring herself to say so and at the same time, she could not withdraw her words either. 

            She had no intention to quarrel with her father.  So she stood up, put down her napkin and said.  "If I stay any longer, the atmosphere will get worse.  I will make a move first."

            Before she left, she took out a transparent glass box from her handbag and inside was a tobacco pipe carved from white jade.

            Luo Cheng He does not smoke but loves to collect various types of tobacco pipes.  In his study, there is a glass cabinet which contained his collection of pipes.

            "Happy Birthday, Dad.”    She put down the gift, turned away and walked out of the restaurant.

            Luo Cheng He was having difficulty with his breathing and was furious at what she had said earlier.  When he looked at the glass box containing the white jade pipe sitting on the tabletop, his eyes began to turn red.

            Mei Fang patted his chest soothingly to appease him.  "It's okay, don’t be angry.  Anhai did not do that intentionally.  Look, she even specifically found you a pipe that you will like as a gift for you……"

            Looking at Luo Anhai's receding back, Han Ding Rui frowned.  He looked at his mother and was about to speak when Mei Fang nodded towards him.

            He understood his mother's meaning.  Han Ding Rui sighed in relief.  He smiled at his mother and immediately got up to chase after Luo Anhai.

9