Chapter 4: Am I a babysitter?
107 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey Leno, lately I have been thinking this, recently am I just a babysitter?” 

“Boy, I’m starting to think so, too.” The middle aged man ghost could only sigh at the young boy’s comment. 

“So it wasn’t just me then.”

Currently Ori was walking together with two children, a boy and a girl. Ori had wanted to take a stroll around town looking for the heroes on their tour of the city, but before he knew it he was pulled along by these two children. The two were close in age where the boy was eleven years old while his little sister was three years younger. When Ori had found them earlier, the boy had brazenly introduced himself along with his little sister. It was the adventure of the two, until Ori got pulled along with them. Or at least that’s what he himself would describe the scenario as.

“Boy isn’t it because you called out to them?” said the old lady ghost.

“Young master is a young boy after all, “ added the old man ghost. 

“I’m much older than them, you know, a good four years!” 

Then the boy in front of him interrupted their conservation, though to his point of view Ori could only be thought of as a strange person who talks to himself..

“Onii-san why are you speaking to yourself?” The young boy asked curiously.

“Hey brazen boy, don’t you know? When you speak to yourself, you are able to process your thoughts better. With that you can improve yourself and become a much smarter person. You see, it’s like self suggestion. When you give yourself a suggestion that, ‘I can do it!’ it helps a lot to accomplish that goal!” said Ori proudly. Of course it was something that he pulled from a random book that he had been recently reading.

“I don’t really understand what you are saying.”

“Don’t really worry about it, you will understand after you have grown up. Now brazen boy, where were you planning to take me?”

Is this brazen boy going to rob me? Don’t do that your mother will be sad, you know.

“Stop calling me, brazen boy! I have a name you know! Ian! It’s Ian! Besides, didn't you say you wanted to join us?” The brazen boy was seemingly filled with frustration. The girl beside him could only watch in confusion.

“You say that, but aren’t we in a dark alley? Doesn’t it seem not like a place for an adventure?” asked Ori questioningly.

“Isn’t that because you brought us here? Saying that you had something to do here.”

“I did?” asked Ori to the girl beside the boy. 

“Yes, Onii-san.” replied the little girl with a voice that Ori could barely make out.

“I see.”

I see somewhere along the way the world line changed. What a problem this is.

“What’s with that understanding face? Onii-san, I have been thinking about this since we met, but there is something definitely strange with you. And–” The boy’s words could only be drowned out by Ori’s mutters.

“Ahh maybe I time-leaped. That is a possibility. Suddenly time-leaping, what a fearful world this is. Goddess Regina, save me. I’m on the wrong timeline!”

“Why aren’t you listening? Hey Onii-san! Hello! Don’t ignore me!”

“Hey brazen boy, what year and what day is it?” Surprised by Ori's sudden question, the boy replied honestly.

“1050, The 4th Month and 7th day of the Regina Calendar.”

“I see. That could only mean one thing!”

“What?”  asked the boy curiously with the girl’s eyes beside him showing a hint of curiosity but still filled with her previous shyness.

“I’m a time traveler! It’s the only possibility! Brazen boy, shy girl, I remember. It was at this spot in this dark alleyway where I died and time traveled back here. And that was a week from now! I’m not just a time traveler, but a reincarnator! Aren’t I cool?!” exclaimed Ori with a proud face.

“Are you really serious? For some reason, I can’t really believe you.” said the brazen boy skeptically.

But the shy girl’s eyes besides him were different, they were filled with awe and curiosity. However, she didn’t say a word.

What a pure soul.

“Shy girl, don’t you believe me? When have I ever lied to you two?” said Ori with a sweet voice.

“Boy, don’t go around deceiving little girls. That’s too evil!” 

“Young master, even for you…”

“Boy, that’s too far… Before we knew it, the boy had grown into a lolicon superspy.”

Shut up, you three! It’s not what you think! Especially that last one! 

“If you say you believe me, I’ll take you and your brother on a beautiful adventure. In this world of magic and technology where everything is bound by its rules, I’ll show you a world of dreams and wishes,” said Ori again with the voice hinted with flowery sweetness.

“Hey, stop trying to sway my sister with your sweet words. It’s too sketchy! You’ll probably take us to some dark alley and do bad things to us. Don’t trust strangers who take you to a dark alley. That’s what Nee-chan said.”

“And here I thought you two were just naive. And besides, aren't you two already in a dark alley? With a stranger at that? Listen to your older sister more properly, kids.” said Ori while laughing.

“Don’t mock us! You said you needed help to do something here. You deceived us!” 

What a scumbag. Using children’s poor innocence to deceive them. Who is this guy?

“Well, more importantly. Brazen boy, shy girl, what do you say? Would you be willing to go with me to a different world? A world that I can grant all your wishes.” proposed Ori with his signature smile of playfulness. 

The one who broke the silence wasn’t the brazen boy, but his shy sister beside him.

“Can you really grant my wish?” asked the shy girl with a shaky voice seemingly holding back her tears of fear. 

But she had no choice but to cling to hope. Even if her hope was a conman time traveler. 

“Don’t get deceived by this Onii-san, Leila. Let’s go home. Nee-chan is waiting for us.” But Ori ignored the brazen boy’s words.

“It may not be what you expect, and it may not all come true. But if that is enough, I can help grant your wish. The reason why you cling to hope in front of you, isn’t that because you can’t let it go?” For the first time, Ori had spoken with a soft, serious voice laced with a lacking sweetness. He didn’t want to scare the girl in front of him, and he didn’t want to waste her strength.

“Can you really grant it? Can you? Can I really meet Mother?” Her violet eyes and shaky voice filled with hope, asked Ori.

“Leila… Is that what you've been wanting… You know that it's impossible. Magic can’t revive the dead. The best it can do is make those ghoul things. Nee-chan taught us that,” exclaimed the brazen boy. And that brazen boy was right.

“Brazen boy, you are right. I can’t revive her. That’s impossible.”

Or rather the cost would be too much. That your entire lives would not be enough to cover it. 

“Then…”

“But you see, she only wished to see her mother didn’t she? If it’s that much I can do it. I can do it for both of you, I can grant both your wishes. I have that much power.”

Before the brazen boy could speak, his younger sister took the initiative.

“Can you really do it, Onii-san?” The sad eyes of a young girl longing for her mother that sought salvation.

“If that is what you wish, this sketchy evil-looking time traveler will help you,” said Ori while smiling.

“Yes, that is my wish.” said the young girl with hesitation, but strong determination.

“As you wish, my dear customer.” 

“By the way, are you coming along, brazen boy? I’ll leave you behind if you wish.” asked Ori with a small laugh.

“I guess… I have no choice. I’ll come along to take care of Leilia.”
What a nice older brother you are. Not like someone I know of. Let’s go then.

“Here you two hold both my hands.” Ori took the hands of the shy girl and the brazen boy in front of him. And the chant started, in a language lost to time.

May this book

Not write a sad future

May this world

Not be one of suffering

May this story

Please end with a happy ending.

And the world changed once again.

Sorry for this late chapter, had a final project to do. And it's shorter too than usual. But I just want to write about the main girls, but Ori won't let me lol. Can't wait to write the school arc. By the way, should be able to pick up speed during summer break.

1