How To Make A Friend V
1.6k 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I think I see movement," Jan said in a voice that held tension. His presence was completely different from the fickle attitude earlier. Instead, standing in his place was a serious young man, determined to accomplish his mission.

Everyone turned to the direction where the bald student was looking and made quick last-minute preparations. Aqua took multiple deep breaths and muttered to herself.

"You'll be fine... you'll be fine..."

Forcing her own uneasiness down into her heart, Tsuko laid her hand on the village girl's shoulder. She patted gently, hoping to alleviate some of her anxiety.

"Yes, you will be fine."

"T-Thank you... Tsuko... I don't know why I am feeling so anxious. Even though I've seen the uncles fighting them back home... maybe because this time, I will be the one killing."

The village girl shivered slightly as she trailed off into a feeble whisper.

"Then it's perfectly okay to be afraid. Like you, I have never killed a living being before."

"R-really?"

"Yes, Father told me to always avoid the slightest sign of danger. He even assigned personal knights as escort whenever I go outside. But ever since I enrolled here, I want to learn ways to protect myself. I don't want to be the only Princess in the family who has to rely on others. So we are in the same boat — let us work together and cover for each other."

"Y-yes, let's do our best together!"

Aqua breathed a sigh of relief as Tsuko felt her tensed shoulders relax.

Near the side, Jan hopped around a few times and performed some last-minute stretches. His facial expression indicated a pure childish excitement.

All the while, Onii was silent as he carefully unsheathed the white bandages on his「Katana」, almost like performing a sacred ritual. His actions were graceful and filled with respect. Reflecting from the sunlight, the blade gleamed brilliantly like the white beam of judgment. He smiled warmly, as if greeting an old friend.

Tsuko and the others watched, mesmerized by the sight of the beautiful naked blade. Compared to the weaponry of the Shui region, the「Katana」had a slight curve and sharper edge. It was also engraved with some unknown midnight-black tint.

Several silhouettes suddenly surfaced from the forest, capturing everyone's attention.

"S-Should we engage?"

"No, let us maintain formation," Tsuko waved her hand and spoke in her standard directive tone. "We should let the enemy come to us since we are on defense. Remember our objective — protecting Temple Village is the number one priority."

"Y-Yes, that makes sense!"

"Of course, there's no way I am losing to some fake holograms!" 

Jan grinned widely and readied his thrown items —「Smoky Screen」.

Twelve monsters stepped forth and continued in their direction. Although most of the enemies were concentrated in the middle, a few were scattered near the edges across the vast field.

With ugly twisted faces, two dull gray fangs protruded out of their ravening maws. Their skin was a sick green while their filthy-dark hair looked completely stained with dirt. Wearing tanned animal hides, each monster was around the size of children and held basic weaponry like a wooden club, javelin, and sword.

The enemies watched the students cautiously as they advanced forward without coordination. However, their faces wore an obvious hostility. Thus, Jan, Aqua and Tsuko automatically stepped back.

The Shui Princess felt her heart beating faster and faster. That was because this time, her knights were not here to provide protection. She had to win, through her own strengths.

I need to prove myself here.

This is the moment I am waiting for.

"W-Wa~ T-This is so much scarier than the imps."

"Y-you need to stay calm, Aqua! I can handle those in my area without a problem. Just make sure you protect your side, okay?"

"I-I don't know if I can..."

"Come on. These things aren't even real. They are holograms. Remember that!"

"I know... but I can't stop thinking about what would happen if I lose..."

"Quit being such a scaredy-cat."

"..."

Aqua bit her lower lips and glanced downwards.

"At ease," Tsuko chimed in and waved her hand, calming the dire situation. "Think of our strategy earlier and use what we learned in class. We'll help each other out as needed."

"That's a large wave you have there. I wonder if you'll be able to handle the middle?"

Tsuko did not have an answer for Jan.

If they were to change strategy last-minute and have everyone defend the middle, the Goblins on the far sidelines would easily slip through. Plus, there was no telling how their teamwork will turn out. Aqua was not confident in her magic ability and Tsuko was personally worried about Jan's overzealous bloodlust. Their opponents were Goblins, monsters that were much superior to imps and could deal damage if they were not too careful.

She thought back to Doctor Lirin's lecture on common defensive strategies and tactics. Also the assigned readings she had done every night to prepare for class. Even reflecting on the strategy books she read back in the Great Library of Shuixandria before coming here.

I know it... but why can't I think of anything?

Why is my mind a blank... in such a critical situation...?

Her physiological senses were tingling all over the body, refusing to grant clarity in her mind.

As panic began to fill her heart, the swordsman held his hand up and cast away any further doubts. An aura of confidence exuded from his position. He scanned the three with a pair of keen eyes and nodded slowly to himself.

Tsuko felt like she was analyzed from the inside-out.

"I shall handle the wave in the middle."

Onii calmly stated his thoughts, steeled with a convincing resolve.

"Wait, do you need any assistance from us?"

"There's no need."

"That's a lot of Goblins you are facing on your own."

"I know."

"Are you sure?"

"I am sure."

"That's... pretty confident of you, Onii."

Of course, there was some apprehension in Tsuko's tone. 

That was the dilemma of the current situation.

If the strongest person were to falter, it will lead to a domino-like reaction that would result in the team falling apart. But that was the worst-case scenario. If he could truly manage all seven Goblins on his own, then this would solve everything. 

He should have felt uneasy about his role and its heavy responsibilities. After all, he was fighting more than half of the incoming wave.

"You'll see," Onii prepared his pistol and spoke reassuringly, terminating any further conversation with a curt nod. "Remember what I said earlier — Trust in me. As your teammate, I will never let my comrade falter."

He was off.

Those words actually felt normal this time, presenting itself as a ray of hope in Tsuko's anxious mind. She thought back to the duel with Mich and his display of sheer bona fide strength. Indeed, he was a skilled fighter. There was no doubt about that. The question was how strong he was, now wielding his signature weapon.

Perhaps, someone who was trained in the famous Dojo had live combat experiences. Even then, Logyn and the other elite knights would probably have some trouble fending off mobs by themselves.

Tsuko's eyes glanced at the sky as she felt something.

What is this feeling...?

For the first time in all her maiden years, the Shui Princess felt an inexplicable warmness inside her heart.

♦ ♦ ♦

Tsuko continued to watch Onii walked forward with calming, confident steps. It was as if the swordsman was enjoying the view of the scenery, not against a large wave of angry, charging monsters. Her inner voice of caution amplified, realizing the dire consequences behind Onii's decision if an irregularity were to happen.

Please be okay.

I'll be leaving the main force up to you.

He stopped short at a respectful distance and drew his blade in a ready position.

As the Goblins charged and yelled belligerently, Onii aimed his pistol. His body did not indicate the slightest fear at the seven monsters, who surrounded his front in a concave formation.

That was when two Goblins on the opposite end jumped, collapsing him with a pincer strategy.

BANG!

BANG!

Loud shots filled the air as everyone, including the monsters on the sidelines, turned towards the source of the booming sound. The pair dropped lifelessly to the ground next to Onii, disappearing back into small traces of red shimmering light.

This was a breathtaking scene that had unfolded in front of their eyes. And it had ended before Tsuko and her teammates could fully process what had happened.

"W-what happened...?" 

The village girl muttered in utter awe, which carried itself across the silent battlefield.

"He killed the two leaping Goblins in a single second," Jan responded after a brief realization. 

"B-But what if he were to miss...?"

Aqua's tacit statement was that it could have been bad. 

Real bad as the remain Goblins would collapse onto him, making Tsuko's worst nightmare come true.

But the quick reflexes and sheer confidence that Onii portrayed were that he would never miss his shots. That mere monsters like Goblin never stood a chance against the likes of him, especially since they were holograms.

He waited until they are in point-blank range — to ensure it's a kill.

I can't believe he managed to stay this composed.

I definitely would have panicked.

Now, this was not a difficult feat for those with battle experiences. Tsuko had witnessed many of her veteran royal guards, including Logyn, perform such action under tremendous mental pressure. However, using a Modern Weapon for the very first time and achieving such results in immediate danger was on another level. 

It was praiseworthy.

From Onii's battle prowess, Tsuko speculated that he was either familiar with fighting monsters or absolutely confident in his swordsmanship to block all incoming attacks. Perhaps it was both.

"Not coming?"

His cold tone resounded through the meadows like a taunt. The nearby Goblins observed cautiously but took a step back, growling and readying their wooden weapons.

"Then it's my turn."

Onii charged forward to his next enemy, closing the distance in a matter of seconds. The third Goblin was already held at gunpoint — with「Deagle」pressed harshly on its green forehead.

Its crimson-red eyes filled with ire and lashed out in retaliation with its club. 

But the attack was predicted and easily parried by Onii's blade.

BANG!

A clear shot penetrated through its forehead. It collapsed lifelessly onto the ground before disappearing back into speckles of red light.

"Three down. Four to go."

Onii announced coldly as he was now radiating a vortex of murderous intent that made the remaining Goblins took a step back. Tsuko did not know it was possible for summoned familiars to experience fear.

But she was glad he was on their side.

He killed three Goblins all within the span of ten seconds...?

Tsuko activated her「Celestial Eyes」, trying to appraise his magic or any activation of martial skills. But there was nothing unusual surrounding his figure. No signs of mana. No nullification abilities were depicted. No physical enhancement bestowed on his arms or legs.

It can't be...

This meant that every move earlier had been his bona fide strength.

Is it because he is a graduating student of the Dojo or is he one of their top students?

I wonder if he can actually win against Logyn in a duel.

"H-How is he not scared?" Aqua muttered as Onii continued to defend against three Goblins simultaneously. "They look so intimidating and dangerous... I would never want to get close to them."

"Aren't you glad it's a simulation then?"

"Yes... I-I wonder what would happen if we were fighting against real Goblins..."

The village girl raised a concerning matter.

Tsuko did not have any fighting experiences as she was protected all her life. In fact, there was no need for her to learn how since Logyn was also enrolled, under one of Father's conditions. But in a real-life situation, there was no telling what would happen if they were to lose and be captured.

Her mind shuddered at those dreadful thoughts.

I need to learn how to fight.

I need to improve faster.

After all, that was why I am at Temple Academy.

"You can't take all the credit, Onii! I gotta have some fun too, wahaha!"

Tsuko watched the eager student charged to his section and taunted a nearby Goblin with a pebble. Instantly after, he threw his item「Smoky Screen」on the ground.

The smoke instantly enveloped his position, confusing the opponent in the process.

A firebolt shot forth from the camouflage Jan had created. The spell landed on the monster's shoulder, burning the flesh of its right arm.

"Garrrrrrgh!"

Jan could be heard cheering inside the smokes. In a fit of rage, the Goblin charged in frenzy and disappeared in the fog.

"Aqua, there's two at your section!" Onii parried several jabs from a Goblin wielding a sharp spear. For some unknown reason, he was not using his blade to kill. "Tsuko, back her up."

It was time.

Tsuko took a deep breath as the two girls hurried to the far left side. The Shui Princess felt some anxiety on how to progress if their plans were to fail.

"Aqua, you focus on supporting me. I will be on the offensive."

She squeaked like a little mouse as sweatdrops bloomed uncomfortably on her back.

"Um-Um. What spell should I use?"

There was no time to respond as they were in position. Standing against two charging Goblins, Tsuko raised her right-hand and waved majestically.

"「Water Blast」"

A white cascade of stream emerged from her palms, pushing back both monsters with the mighty force of the ocean.

Seconds later, the Goblins scratched their heads and laughed, having taken no damage. They gradually picked themselves back up, now completely drenched.

"Aqua, I need a magic buff! Anything is fine!"

"Y-Yes!" Aqua closed her eyes and held her hands together in a praying posture. "「Enhance Magic — Elemental Water」"

Tsuko felt a wave of warmth entering into her body, gradually seeping into her central nervous system. In response to that energy, she felt her magical power grow stronger by the second.

The two monsters responded with a garbled cry that was hard on the ears and charged forward. They raised their swords, faces maddened with aggression. 

Tsuko felt an uneasy sense of danger — she had to cast her follow-up spell now.

"「Icicle Shards」"

The wet trail on the ground instantly turned frozen. They cried out in agony, standing on what seemed to be a wide path of irregular, ice-formed spikes.

"Aqua, finish them off!"

"Um... Oh, I know...! I'll be counting on you「Little Bunnies」!"

Rising from the small residue, hordes of water-filled bunnies took shape. Instantly, they rushed towards its target.

"Attack, my cute bunnies!"

This was a bizarre scene to watch — small liquid-shaped animals charging straight at two armed monsters with weapons.

Like a water current rushing over them, all of the bunnies dispersed with a massive push.

From the force, the two Goblins fell on the path of sharp icicles and howled in pain. Tsuko knew they had succeeded because their remains disappeared into red forms of light.

"We did it!"

"Mhm!"

The pair gave each other a triumphant high five and screamed in delight.

This was a historical moment for the two maidens. A massive personal accomplishment. They had finally done it — killed their first monsters, despite it being a hologram.

"N-Nice work... Tsuko!"

"You too, Aqua... To think we had our... first times together."

"Ah. I feel so out of breath... right now..."

Aqua panted repeatedly, placing her hands on her thighs for support. Tsuko could understand why as she was also experiencing mana exhaustion. The summation of their earlier spells had drained most of their mana.

I can't believe it took us this much to kill two Goblins.

Now I am really worried about how Jan and Onii are holding up. No, Onii should be fine on his own. But Jan... that's a different story.

"I-I want to rest... but I know I can't..."

"It's not over yet. We should help Jan right now since he is dealing with the remaining Goblins."

The villager girl's eyes grew more alert and quickly nodded in agreement. After finishing their mana potions, the two rushed across the meadow. In the distance, they could hear Jan barking taunts and curses at the top of his lungs. There was also the sound of clashing metal and loud noise of shots firing.

"Aqua, what was your item? I haven't seen you use it yet."

Her cheeks grew an adorable rosy-red.

"「Jetpack」. But I forgot how to use it since I fell asleep in that lecture... Sorry for not telling you earlier..."

Tsuko chuckled at the clumsy village girl and smiled.

"I guess it can't be helped. I won't be able to use it since I have a fear of heights. Listen carefully because I will teach you the basics right now, in case we need it later on."

"Yes!" Aqua replied energetically as they prepared for the next part of their mission.

『 Amae (11/04/19): Awkward upload schedule cause internship is kicking my butt ( ·ᴗ·̥̥̥ )』

Patreon Siblings: Adonis, Andrew W., Connor K., Etienne, Jonano99, Logan, Nero Angelo, Ness682, Somedude~ ♡♥

As always, thanks for reading, dear reader! ❣ 

A WHOLESOME READ | JOIN MY SIBLING PARADISE | PASSION ➼ PART-TIME |

15