Retrieving The Greatest Treasure
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Olivia felt her feet begin to ache from running. She was currently dressed in a grey blouse, denim jeans, and heels which she had taken off to run. She had changed out of her work attire after she finished her shift. Right now she ran like a maniac that had a goal in mind. If anyone had seen her though, no one would have thought she was any less sane than they were. No one saw her though. Everyone had their eyes glued to the screen in front of their faces. '

After a while, she had to stop. Her feet were aching intensely. She stopped running and took a moment to look around more carefully, ignoring the screen in front of her completely. After a minute, a little less actually, she began moving towards her goal once again. People that were in here way were twirled around, cars on the sidewalks were either voided or sled across, and cracks and rumbles were ignored completely.

Her instincts screamed at her to continue moving forward no matter how much she wanted to just stop completely. Suddenly though, she was forced to stop. In front of her was a scene she had only seen in movies and shows. A person was crouched over another that was laying on the ground, eyes open. They were being eaten.

Holding back the bile in her throat, Olivia moved slowly and quietly. She scouted the area around herself to make sure there weren't others. After she made sure she had not involved herself in any of such situations, she continued on her way. Though once again she stopped. She looked across the street to the sidewalk opposite her. There was a bike leaning against the wall of a restaurant. 

As she said before she wasn't exactly a bad person, but she was definitely no saint. She took a leap of faith and decided to run across the road to the bike. She had almost made it when a hand clamped around her wrist. Not giving anything the chance to bite, scratch, or dissuade her, she yanked her arm away with surprising strength. Her actions resulted in her arm gaining scratches from a car she was near. 

She took a half-second to look back only to see a young lady in her teens sitting in a car with a terrified look on her face. With black shoulder-length hair and dressed in a red button shirt, and some ripped jeans the girl begged Olivia through the glass., "Please help me, the door won't open!" Olivia garnered a hesitant expression on her face. She was conflicted. Her gut was failing her. At first, she was hellbent on reaching her son's elementary school, but now her entire being was divided.

After a few more seconds of hesitation and observing to make sure the girl wasn't hurt, she wasn't taking anyone injured with her when she was in a hurry, she told the girl to move away from the window. She took the heel of her shoe and, without hesitation, smashed her way to the glass. After the first hit, it cracked immediately. The second hit followed, then the third, and finally the fourth. 

She grabbed the girl through the window making sure that she didn't get cut, "Thank you," the girl said crying and shaking. She wrapped her arms around Olivia's waist and cried into the tall, 6'3, woman's chest. Olivia pulled the girl off of her immediately as gently as she could.

"It's honestly no problem, but I have to go," Olivia speaks with a thick accent that only appears when she's tired, anxious, or stressed. She looks toward the bike to make sure it's still there. Once she realizes it, a pain shoots through her heart. The bike is gone.

Olivia takes a deep, calming breath. She couldn't blow up right now. She couldn't break down right now. She couldn't become defocused right now. Not right now. Another breath, this one even deeper than the first. She turned to leave. She had to keep going, but as she did she realized the girl was still holding onto her arm. 

Deciding to deal with it later, she pulls the girl along with her. The girl is shocked at first but decides to be led by the polish woman, "Where are you headed?" She asked. 

"Saint Lonalds Elementary School," she steels her gaze as the girl takes in a breath. Olivia knows why she gasped, but didn't say anything.

"That's like three miles away," the girl runs up to walk beside Olivia. Olivia glowered at her as she brought up the distance, "I had planned on taking a bike instead, but some whiny child decided to play on my good side and distracted me enough to let it get taken by someone else," Olivia snapped.

After she said it, the tension eased out of her a bit. She was still upset, but she knew it was her decision. It was just a little further she kept telling herself, or at least she did until she heard what the girl had said. She felt the anxiety she had been bottling up rush towards then up her spine from somewhere deep inside. Just as it was about to explode, she shoved it back down mercilessly.

She and the girl continued walking, running, jogging, and avoiding in silence. On the way, she learned the girl's name was actually Torra. She was from Queens and actually used to go to Dustin's current elementary school. Olivia almost cried tears of joy when she saw the familiar walls of Saint Lonalds. She hurriedly ran to the doors, which were locked.

After banging on the door and waving frantically, she watched as Shirley unlocked the door with an excited expression on her face, "Ms. Pawlak," she said when she finally got the door open. She rushed the both of them into the school and shook Olivia's hand s she walked them to the office. Shirley was a fairly thin woman, aged younger than Olivia at the age of thirty-seven. She was dressed in a pink blouse, a black pencil skirt, and some black-spotted pink heels. She talked the entire time as they walked.

Finally, they came to a stop as the door to the office was actually opened from the inside by a young blond boy no older than six or seven. He wore a black shirt that had a picture of an astronaut and a dinosaur fighting on mars, khaki shorts, and black sneakers. On his face, he wore the biggest smile, "Mommy!" He yelled and he ran and hugged her waist.

Olivia leaned down and hugged his back. She had finally retrieved her greatest treasure on the planet.

1