The Rise of the Golden Sands – Chapter 1
25 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the year 1960, Humanity discovered a new source of power. It was neither nuclear, solar, or anything of the sort. Unlike anything ever before seen, this power existed inside of each and every person and animal on the planet and was scattered throughout the atmosphere. With the advent of this new power that came to be known as ‘Mana’, also came the advent of creatures that had never existed in the world before this. Demons, clumps of mana that came to possess a will, that would invade the body of animals and distort them, threatened all intelligent life on Earth.

These demons were explicitly violent towards human beings, and at first there was nothing that Humanity could do to fight back. The monstrosities boasted supernatural strength, speed, vitality, and even magical abilities. Bullets were largely ineffective, and it would take hundred, if not thousands, of bullets in order to take down one low-class demon. There were various types of demons, each having their own specialties and traits. These were based off of what animal was taken over, and how much mana came together to create the being in the first place.

Thankfully, the small number of corpses that researches were able to obtain helped to turn the tide. Using the materials harvested from the grotesque corpses of these demons, they were able to develop magical bullets capable of dealing significant damage to the previously unstoppable demons. However, this was only a small help. The largest contribution to the repelling of the demons belonged to the Heroes that rose from the depths of the darkness that Humanity found themselves in.
These Heroes were capable of manipulating the mana inside their bodies and in the air surrounding them, raising their physical abilities and giving them the ability to cast magical phenomenon. These Heroes arose all around the explore, and guarded Humanities retreat into the few magical barriers they were able to create from exceptionally rare demons.

Despite all of this, the losses were massive. 65% of the Human population on Earth was wiped out, and the rest were huddled together in barriers that covered a few dozen cities in the countries that survived. From the limited number of countries that survived the rush of demons, the United States of America quickly rose to be the largest in population and number of Heroes. Russia was also quite well off. The reason for this was because the tensions were high between the two countries, and both were preparing for potential war when the outbreak of mana began.

The African continent was completely run over, and a large portion of Asia was lost as well. Select areas of Japan, China, and Korea managed to stay afloat in the tide. Europe was the most well-off after the American continent, with England, France, and Italy surviving with relatively few casualties. Canada was also mostly lost, with areas of Manitoba and Ontario managing to survive thanks to the aid from the U.S.

South America was also completely lost, and most of Mexico as well. The surviving areas were near the border with the U.S.A.

With the threat of death looming just beyond the protective walls made from mana, Humanity huddled up inside those walls. Years passed, and Heroes became stronger. They began leaving the walls proactively, fighting demons and growing stronger. Technology also advanced rapidly thanks to mana and the demon corpses. With the creation of teleportation portals, it became possible for Humanity to travel across the world in an instant, without the danger of being attacked. Several hundred Heroes banded together to create an organization they named “Saviours”.

Saviours, with funding from governments and powerful families, created several academies to raise up young potential Heroes in order to battle against the demon threat. Mercenaries that used expensive magic bullets would actively hunt low ranked monsters, that existed in places with little mana. Mana, like hot air, seemed to rise upwards into the sky, when enough of it gathered. Due to this, mountains like the Himalayas and Mt. Everest gathered massive quantities of mana, as well as absurdly powerful demons. Humanity slowly got back on its feet, and the world once again gained a sense of order.

 

Continental Year, 1993, September 6th.

“Dias, come out to play!” The youthful voice of a child rang out in the peaceful scenery of orderly houses with green lawns. The voice was directed towards a particular house, painted in a soothing grey. Beyond the white door came a faint thudding of weightless footsteps, before the door opened. On the other side stood a five-year old child, less than half the size of the 7-ft frame. Dressed in light brown cargo shorts and a blue t-shirt, Dias stood with the door half-opened, looking at the child in front of him. The smile on his face was positively adorable as he cheerfully opened his mouth to reply.

“Nicholas! Come inside, I still have to get ready!” Dias swung the door open, gesturing for the other boy to take his shoes off. Nicholas entered and did as he was told, questioning his best friend as he did so.

“What do you need to get ready for? We’re just going to the park!” He asked curiously. Usually, Dias would simply run out of the house and they would go and get into trouble with the rest of their friends.

“Um, Nicholas.” Dias’ face deflated a bit, and he turned to Nicholas with sad eyes. “Did you forget that today is my birthday?” Nicholas’ expression, faced with Dias’ upturned eyes and pouting face, tightened.

“O-of co-course I didn’t forget!” The guilty boy stammered while avoiding eye contact. “I just, you know… thought it would be later in the day! Yeah, that’s it!” He nodded to himself after finding what he deemed to be an acceptable excuse.

“Oh, I see.” Dias’ tearful face quickly changed into a cheerful one. “I’m glad, I thought you had forgotten. Everyone else should be here soon too.” Dias almost skipped into the kitchen from the corridor in which they had been standing.

The kitchen was fairly small, with a counter-top on two sides of the wall, connecting in the corner. A refrigerator stood in the corner next to one of the counters, while a stove was placed into a niche cut into them. The kitchen sink made from stainless steel stood taller than Dias could reach, so he had to get a chair from the small table in the center of the kitchen in order to pour himself a glass of water.

“Want some?” He offered Nicholas, who had followed him into the kitchen.

“No, I’m okay.” Shrugging his shoulders, Dias gulped down the water. Giving off a satisfied sigh, he murmured to himself.

“Water is so easy to get nowadays…” Nicholas, who overheard him, frowned.

“What do you mean, nowadays? It’s been the same for as long as I can remember.”

“Uh… yeah, you’re right. I wonder why I said that?” Dias looked equally as confused as Nicholas as he rubbed his tiny forehead.

“Never mind that, let’s go to your backyard! It’s too hot inside!” Nicholas pulled Dias’ arm and ran to the patio door, throwing it open while ignoring Dias’ muttering of how it was hotter outside.

 

“It’s weird how no one is here yet, don’t you think?” Nicholas asked while swinging on a metal bar that jutted out from the shed in the corner of the garden.

“Yeah… we’ve been playing for about an hour, so they should have been here 30 minutes ago.” Dias had a troubled look on his face that quickly darkened. “You… you don’t think they forgot, do you?”

“Of course not, maybe they’re just taking their time to get here. You know how easily those guys get distracted.” Nicholas reassured him before a curious look appeared on his white face. “Actually, where are your parents? Shouldn’t at least auntie have come home by now?” Dias shook his head in response.

“Mom and dad said that they would be home late today, but that they would make it up to me tonight. They shouldn’t be home for another hour or two.” Dias stomped his feet on the metal grate he was standing on. “In the end, you’re the only one who actually came to celebrate my birthday on time, Nicholas. Thank you.” The disheartened boy stared down into the dark sewer that he could barely see from the top of the grate.

“No, it’s fine. I am your best friend after all! And besides, I’m sure that they’ll show up sooner or later, don’t be so down.” Nicholas tried his best to reassure Dias, but it didn’t have much effect. The boy gave a small sigh, before he cocked his head towards the grate in order to listen better. That’s strange.

“What’s wrong Dias?” Nicholas asked after seeing Dias pause with a strange look on his face. The other boy shook his head.

“I thought I heard something from below, but I can’t hear it anymore.”

“Heard something? It’s a sewer, so maybe you just heard water?” Nicholas suggested, still swinging from the bar.

“No, it sounded more like… footsteps?” Dias heard the sound once more, and it was closer this time. He stared into the depths, looking for anything that looked like it was moving. It was at that moment that he saw it; a dark, shambling figure, reaching just below the opening to the great. It walked on all fours and was the size of one of the wolves that Dias had seen in picture books before. It craned it’s neck upwards, looking at the light shining down from above. Dias saw it’s two red eyes and felt, deep inside of him, a primal fear towards this red-eyed quadrupedal animal. He began slowly backing off the grate but was a moment too slow. The animal bent its knees and jumped upwards, clearing the gap and smashing headfirst through the metal grate. Dias, who had one foot still on the grate, was sent flying backwards. Crashing into the fence that wasn’t too far away, he blacked out.

 

Ho… ess… Yo… Hol… ness… Your Holiness.

Your Holiness!” Ozymandias opened his eyes. Taking a few seconds to remember where he was. He stretched while turning towards the voice calling him.

“Zahra.” A smile found its way to the young man’s face. He reached his arm over towards his wife and pulled her a bit closer to him, enjoying the warmth of her body.

“Your Holiness, it’s time to re-begin the march.” Zahra giggled into his ear while burying her face into his neck. Ah, right. The march. We must quickly advance to join with the scouts. He couldn't muster any motivation to leave his bed.

“Why is it, I wonder, that a bed will feel so uncomfortable in the night, yet be more comfortable than anything else the morning after?” Ozymandias wondered aloud. His wife responded laughingly to his meaningless question.

“Sleeping next to the man I love, sharing his warmth, and waking up to the very same warmth keeps me comfortable from the start of the night to the end.”

“Zahra, my star of stars. The moon to my sun, please stop answering my rhetorical questions so adeptly” Ozymandias rose out of his bed, his shoulder length white hair brushing against his tanned face as he did so. The teasing expression on Zahra’s face quickly disappeared.

“The scouting party shouldn’t be much further. I wonder what exactly the strange beast they found was?”

“We’ll find out soon.” Drawing out his last word while stretching, Ozymandias began dressing himself. The half-open entrance to the white tent darkened and a voice resounded from outside.

“Your Holiness, there is news.” After hearing a sound of acknowledgment from inside, the voice continued. “The scouting party returned to us in the dark last night, they are heavily injured.”

“What?” A look of anger crept onto the young Ozymandias’ face as he transformed from a loving husband into a fierce ruler. “Why was I not awoken when they first returned?”

“We did not wish to disturb your Holiness’ sleep.” The deep voice answered.

“Shaytan, you fool. Inform me of such matters at once, even if you must disturb my rest.” The anger did not fade from his face, but Ozymandias’ voice showed no signs of it.

“Yes, your Holiness.” The shadow moved downwards when the tent flap opened. Ozymandias strode out from his tent wearing thin white leathers. He turned to face the kneeling royal guard.

“Stand, Shaytan. Lead me to them, quickly.” The guard nodded expressionlessly and began striding towards the outer section of the encampment. There were about 30 tents set up in a circular formation, with the largest being next to Ozymandias’ own tent. Stepping forward on top of the still cool and soft sand, Ozymandias hurried to the second largest tent in the camp, the medical tent. Once he reached there, the two warriors standing guard put their left hands over their hearts and quickly bent their knees. Waving them aside, the ruler entered the tent and witnessed the scene inside.

Priests rushed back and forth, carrying fresh water and bandages, nursing about 15 injured men and women who lied on beds made from soft wool.

Scanning the faces of the men, Ozymandias identified the one he was searching for and strode to his side.

“Siad.” The head of my scouts. “What happened to all of you?” Siad was being nursed by a priest as well, his bandages being changed and spells being cast on top of him to hasten his recovery.

“We were attacked, your Holiness. A strange creature with black fur and red eyes that walked on all fours. It ran at us from the horizon as quickly as one of the divine beasts and attacked us viciously.” He coughed unceasingly, and the priest treating him forced him to drink some water before being pushed away. Wiping his mouth with his uninjured left hand and wincing when it provoked his wounds, he continued.

“We were no match. Although we managed to injure it, they were nothing but scratches. We hurried back after being attacked, in fear that it would give chase and cause even more casualties.” Ozymandias’ face hardened at Siad’s last sentence.

“How many did we lose?”

“7 men, who sacrificed themselves to buy time. Last I saw, the beast was feasting on their corpses.” A small, powerless chuckle came from Siad’s throat. “I’m ashamed to face your Holiness after such a failure.” The future emperor put his hand on the scout’s uninjured arm.

“There is nothing else you could have done. They are one with the sand now.” At his words, all of the priests nearby put one arm onto their foreheads and bowed forwards.

“They are one with the sand," They echoed, "as we all shall be."

“Your Holiness,” Siad grasped the arm of the man he respected more than any other in the world. “I fear the beast will track us by the scent of our blood. If it comes to this encampment, I don’t believe anyone would be able to stop it.” His voice trembled as he gave his opinion.

Ozymandias’ mouth formed a small grin that possessed both kindness and fierceness at the same time, a grin that would become iconic of the great ruler as he began his conquest of the world.

“Do you doubt me, Siad?” An expression of surprise formed on his subordinate’s face.

“No, your Holiness.” Siad bowed his head, despite the fact that it would aggravate his wounds.

“There is nothing in this world that I cannot do if I put the effort into it, do you know why that is?” Siad’s eyes looked up, holding respect, admiration, and worship towards the figure standing tall before him.

“That is because your Holiness is a God.” The grin on Ozymandias’ face became wider and fiercer, possessing a distinct likeness to the murals of the sun God Shams that were found in the small temples that were built in the tribe’s home.

“That is correct. I can do anything, because I am a God.” Ozymandias turned on his heel and strode out of the tent, paying no mind to the priests and the wounded scouts who began kneeling and bowing their heads as he passed.

 

Thank you for reading, and sorry about the info dump at the beginning. I just felt as though I had to establish some world history. If there's things that seem really unpleasant with the writing or storytelling, let me know! I'm always looking for constructive criticism. Same thing if you notice any typos. I'm not the greatest at catching them.

Just in case it isn't clear, this is the same world we live in (The known history is the same), except humanity gained access to magic in 1960, during the Cold War. In the next chapter, we'll pick up with the young man version of Ozymandias as he encounters a red-eyed animal for the first time. I wonder what it is~~

0