Chapter 3 – Adversity
97 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey. Em. You in there or what?”

“Huh?” I’m pulled away from my thoughts by my new colleague. “Oh, hey, Lillian. Sorry, I guess I spaced out. What is… uh…” Just as I was about to ask them what was up, they got up from their stool and… “Why are you so… um… close…?”

“Heh. You’re pretty cute, you know that?” Their stare is burning right through my heart!

“C-Cute!? Now, h-hold on--” What’s going on…!? This is going way too fast…!

“Shut up and kiss me, Songbird…”

“I, um, no, w--”

“--wait, Lilli… wh-huh?”

What the… this isn’t the Utopia anymore… this is my room! Oh… so it was a dream. That explains why nothing made sense just now…

Taking a breath to center myself, I check the time. 11AM. Well, at least that dream didn’t screw up my sleep schedule… it’s been hard enough getting myself used to my new routine. I mean, I used to fall asleep around midnight, but now that I work at that hour, I can’t exactly do that anymore.

 

I got up from my bed, stretched, and decided to head to my studio’s living room for a glass of orange juice. Gotta get something to down my meds, after all. I have a bit of time before my meeting with my brother, so maybe I’ll rela–

 

“Wh– Elio!?”

“Oh, hey, little sis. Morning~”

“What are you doing here!? How did you even get in!?”

“Hm, wonder how. After all, you’re *soooo* thorough about locking your door when you get home. There’s no way you could have forgotten. Again.”
I pouted at that. “Listen, I’m tired after work, okay? It happens.”

“A little too much, yes. You need to be more careful, Emmeryn! What if–”

“Oh, this again? Yes, what if a T-Rex with opposable thumbs or something broke through my building’s front door and then gently turned my doorknob instead of smashing that door, too?”

“...okay, I know, I know. I’ll lay off the overprotectiveness. A little. But still, try to remember to lock it more for me?”

“...no, you’re right. I’m sorry, Elio. It really is a habit I need to form.” He smiled at that. “But you’re still a worrywart.”

“Hehehe, maybe a little. Now, put down that bottle of juice and get dressed. I’ll treat you to a bite somewhere.”

 

“So,” Elio started, sitting down with our food as he did, “how’s work?”

“Same old same old, I guess.” I put my hormone pills in my mouth, and took a sip of soda to down them. “Why do you ask? You’d usually rather just show up unannounced to see it for yourself.”

“Oh, no reason.” He left it at that, not asking or saying anything more. I’m not so easily fooled, though. That kind of silence from him is never meaningless.

“...”

“...”

“So, who’s Lilian, then?”

“Wha– how do you know about them!?” Ah, that was too loud! Everyone’s staring…

“Well, you’re not the most… quiet sleeper. Let’s leave it at that. Also, sit back down.”

“Hahaha… yeah, that makes sense…” I sat back down, and took a bite out of my burger. “Anyway, they’re jusht a coworker. Shtarted yeshterday.”

“Oh, huh. Didn’t know Zena was looking for anybody. It’s not like you’re exactly overwhelmed.”

“*gulp* Oh, she wasn’t. They just… showed up. Seemed very desperate for work. It doesn’t seem like they have anyone else to rely on either, so…”

“That’s really nice of her… I’m glad she gave them a chance. There are too many people alone in the world. Gotta all do what we can to help with that.”

“Mhm!”

“Maybe I should come to the bar tonight, then. See how that Lilian character is. And how they captured my sister’s heart.” he said, winking as he did. He sure enjoys seeing me blush…

“W-Well, sure, if you wanna…”

“Hehehe. …oh, shoot, what time is it?”

“Oh, uh… 2PM, apparently.”

“Ah, damn, I have a meeting in an hour!”

“H-Hey, don’t scarf down your food that fast… an hour’s a long time, you know!”

“I gotta run, Em. It was nice seeing you, though. You okay to get back home on your own?”

“Heh, you never change… yeah, I’ll just take the bus. See you!”

Just as he was about to leave, though, he turned around to face me again. “Oh, and one last thing… all jokes aside, I’m glad you’ve been seeming so much happier lately. Be it this new person, hormones, or anything else… if it puts a smile on your face, I’m glad it’s in your life.”

“Thanks, Elio. It means a lot.”

We briefly hugged, and parted ways. My brother might be a bit of an overbearing goof, but I know he cares a lot. And I’m glad we’re closer now than we used to be.

Anyway… guess I’ll head back home. I can play some more of that game before heading to work that way… hehehe.

 

***

 

“Hi, Boss!” I shouted out, whipping the door open as I did.

“Hey, Emmeryn. See my new lackey anywhere yet?”

“You mean Lian? No, not yet. They still have a little bit before they have to show up, though, right?”

“Well, yeah, I don’t expect all my coworkers to show up five minutes early like you do every day, but… I dunno, it would’ve been nice on the first few days, at least.” A solemn gaze appeared on their face as she said that.

“I’m sure they’ll turn up, Boss, don’t worry.”

“Heh. Thanks, kid.” she said, ruffling my hair as she did. “I mean, I know it’s probably unfair to compare them to him, given his… dedication, but even your brother showed up before them.”

“Oh, Elio’s here already?”

“Yep. Seems he just sat down outside. If you wanna see him, that’s fine. I can handle the first wave of customers on my own.”

“Oh, thanks! I’ll take his order at least, though. It’s the least I can do.”

 

Stepping back outside, I felt a familiar presence just to my left, scribbling in a pocketbook of some kind.

“Oh, so this is where you were.”

“H-huh!?” They were so startled that they dropped their book on the ground. “Oh, i-it’s you, Songbird.”

“Whoa, I didn’t know you were so easily startled, Lilian. Hehe~”

“S-Shut up…”

“So, what are you doing here? Boss was looking for you.”

“Oh, I was just…”

“Oh, is this the fabled Lilian, then?”

“Eep!” Ah, I forgot about him! “Elio, come on…”

“What was that about me being easily startled…?”

“Don’t mind her, she’s just a mess. Cute mess, though!”

“Hey!” I don’t know whether to blush from embarrassment or anger…

“Anyway, hey. I’m Emmeryn’s brother. It’s nice to meet you.”

“Lilian. Nice to meet you too.”

 

The two started happily chatting away, but just as I was about to interrupt before they got to teasing me again…

“Heey, you! Girl!”

“Huh? Oh, hello, sir. What can I get you?” That’s right, I’m still at work here… though it seems like he’s already been attended to tonight. And not just a little. His breath stinks… how’d he get this drunk in this little time?

“You can “get” me a date. Huh? Howzzat sound?”

“Oh, um… I’m sorry, sir, but I…”

“Huh? Whaddyou say?” He started crossing his arms and squaring up, making me feel more and more anxious… “I think youddon understand what you’re missin’ out on here…”

“Sir, please calm down…”

“Younnow what to do to calm me down…” Aah, too close… I…

“Hey! You! Back off!”

“Haah?”

“Elio…!” He violently pushed the drunken customer away from me.

“Fuck off, kid. This ain’t nona your business.”

“What you do to my sister is my business.”

“Aah, how cute.”

 

“Songbird, you alright?”

They immediately motioned to hold my hand, stopping themself to allow me to choose. I softly nodded, letting them know it’s alright.

“Y-Yeah… thanks, Lian.”

“I’m sorry, we should’ve paid more attention to what was going on instead of just… talking on our own like that.” I’ve never seen them so apologetic…

“N-no, it’s fine, you don’t have to… Huh? Wait, these two are…!”

 

“For a big brother, you’re fuckin’ scrawny, dude. Almost seem like a girl.”

“What was that!?” Oh, no… he’s starting to get angry too…

“I said you’re like a girl!”

“Graaah!” Suddenly, he jumped at my drunken harasser, and punched him square in the face!

“Guh–! Okay, thassit, twerp, you’re fuckin’ dead!”

“No, stop! Please!”

“Heh. Bring it on, asshole.”

“Elio!” 

“...” “What’s happening here…?” “Maybe we should move…” “Ugh, guys are all the same…”

It’s… so noisy… I can’t… I… loud… dark… confusing…

 

“Hey! What the fuck is happening here!?”

“…!”

 

“Zena! This guy was harassing Em, and–”

“And you thought being some righteous idiot was gonna solve anything!? Look at her! She’s having a panic attack over here!”

“Oh… I did it again, didn’t I…?”

“Hey! I ain’t done here, twerp!”

“And you. I have reason to think that you’re the reason my bar is in absolute chaos right now. Get the hell out of my establishment or I’m calling the cops.”

“Izzat any way… to treat a payin’ customer…?”

“You think we want your patronage when you’re trying to abuse my employee? Last warning. Get. Out.”

“Mgrrrr…”

Lian, after checking if I was okay, got up and let go of my hand, walking toward Boss. “Ugh. Look at him. He can hardly walk away in a straight line.”

“Yeah. By the way, thanks, kid. You did the right thing, staying by her side.”

“It’s… nothing. I just… don’t like seeing dangerous people get close like that. Too many bad memories from that…”

“Hm?” Boss raised an eyebrow at that.

“Oh, uh… don’t worry about me. We should focus on Emmeryn right now.”

“Nah, Big Bro’s got it. Right, Elio?”

“U-um, yes, ma’am…”

“You heard the man. Come here, kid. We got customers to serve.”

 

***

 

Once Lilian and Boss left, it suddenly got very quiet outside. All the customers save a handful went inside with them, probably sensing the heavy air at the moment, and the few that remained didn’t dare speak too loudly, likely for the same reason. Elio and I didn’t speak either. Speaking for myself, I just… didn’t feel emotionally ready to talk just yet. I presume he didn’t know what to say, after Zena dug into him for his behavior. Finally, though, after what felt like an eternity, I mustered up the courage to speak up.

 

“So… are you alright?”

“I’m fine. Not even a scratch, hehe…”

“That’s a lie…”

“So what? I’m fine. That’s what matters.”

…I can’t take this.

“You always get like this! Always putting yourself in danger for my sake! Do you ever stop to wonder how that makes me feel!?”

“You don’t like to use violence! What am I supposed to do, watch you get attacked?”

“I don’t like violence, period! And oh, I dunno, how about you call the authorities? Or Zena, at least?”

“I just… can’t help it. I wanna protect–”

“I don’t need protecting, Elio!” That came out much more forcefully than I anticipated. I immediately regretted being so harsh, but I somehow couldn’t bring myself to apologize for it…

“Ah…”

“I-I mean… yeah, I’m not exactly physically strong… or mentally, for that matter… but I can still stand up for myself! I don’t need you fighting my battles, or escalating them!”

“I understand… I’m sorry.”

“If possible… I’d like it if you came around here less. Not never, just… less often.”

“I get it. I’ll… give you some space, sis.” He then turned around, intending to leave just then, but stopped himself mid-step, and turned his head toward me. “But if you ever need me… just give me a shout, okay?”

“Mhm, I will, Elio. I promise.”

“I love you.”

“Love you too.”

 

And with that, I was left alone. I took a minute to sit down on a bench across the street, to pull myself together and gather my thoughts. Everything that happened was a little overwhelming… I don’t do good with this much chaos. The odd day where the bar is packed? Sure, I can handle that. But arguments and fights? Not so much.

…I feel bad about blowing up at Elio, though. Even if we disagreed, I know he meant well. I should have gone easier on him…

 

As I remained lost in thought, my gaze ended up resting on the entrance to the Utopia, and I eventually noticed a small, rectangular item on the ground, where I was first accosted.

“...Wait, isn’t that…?” I got up and crossed the street to pick up the item in question. “Just like I thought… it’s Lian’s pocketbook!” I should return this to them, but… I am curious what it is exactly that got them so flustered when I caught them in the act before.

“...Well, maybe a little peek wouldn’t hurt…” I opened the book on a random page, and started reading the poem I landed on. Seems it’s the one I caught them writing… it’s not complete yet.

 

Light in the Darkness

 

My heart is cloaked in shade
Afraid to step into the light.

Too many years in the dark

Made me forget who I am.

 

But was I anyone

Before that woman’s song

Brought me into her thrall?

Her bright eyes of blue, so blinding to my world.

 

Though we have met only days ago,

You feel like the dream I searched for
Since the day I first held this plume.

Perhaps it comes from your wings, S–

 

…Wait… Is this poem about me?????

No… no, there’s no way, haha. It could be anyone… with blue eyes… that they met recently… whose nickname starts with an S and relates to birds. Hahaha…

…Anyway! I should return this to them right away and not read any more. It’s none of my business, and I’d probably explode if I looked any further. I didn’t know they wrote poems though, let alone this well… *sigh* I’ve really gotten myself into quite the situation, crushing on them in this way, huh…? Well, it’ll at least be interesting.

 

Those were the thoughts running inside my mind as I walked back inside the Utopia, hoping for the night to be more quiet from now on.

6