Fortunately Lost
150 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Ugh… where am I?"

Jeremy held his head with a slight buzzing pain within. It was not as unbearable so he was able to notice that he was in a room he has never been to before.

Once the buzzing pain slightly faded, he could hear the sound of a shower from his left. It obviously came from the shower room and at the exact moment he looked at it, the sound of the shower disappeared.

Jeremy began to panic. What happened the night before?

"Ah, right… Roselle…!" once he remembered that name, memories flooded him. He caught Roselle suspicious by the window of the school's music room. Then, he offered her a ride home.

There was slight awkwardness at the beginning but the ice soon broke and the two felt a little bit closer. More than classmates but not exactly friends either.

It was a good feeling to make another acquaintance until…

"We… were hit by…?"

The door to the shower room opened. Jeremy immediately turned his head to it again to see Roselle's depressed face as if she just bawled her eyes out under the shower. Her head was drooping as well as her shoulders as she loosely wore the towel around her.

Roselle, with her eyes on the floor, slowly walked into her room.

Jeremy blinked a few times. He thought she would notice him. Also, he couldn't call her out as he felt it would be all of a sudden.

'Does she not know I'm here?'

He only knew that they were involved in an accident. But what happened after that? Jeremy wouldn't be so confused if he woke up in a hospital bed. He looked around and saw his bag on the table. Opening it, he took his phone out.

"Ahh… shit…" he cursed seeing the giant crack. And, as he expected, it wouldn't open. He didn't have any choice but to put in back.

While he was in deep thoughts, the door to Roselle's room opened and she came out. Casually clothed without any effort done while her state was still the same. It's as if her soul left her body already.

Jeremy waited for him to be noticed but she just walked past him.

'She… she's like a zombie…' he thought, a little bit surprised. For Roselle not to notice him the second time, is this intentional?

Waiting a little bit more, Jeremy finally tried to call her out when she was pouring herself a glass of water.

"Uhm… Roselle?"

"..."

Roselle turned her head to him and just stared.

"..." Jeremy didn't know how to reply to her reaction so he just stared as well.

"..."

"Uhm…"

Roselle first knitted her eyebrows. Then, she rubbed her eyes and looked at Jerem again. As if nothing worked, she walked closer to him and stared until… her eyes widened as she gasped.

"J-Jeremy!? Y-y-y-y…." she pointed at him with great disbelief. Feeling the weakness in her knees, she fell to the ground.

Now, Jeremy felt like a demon haunting a frail lady because of her reaction.

"What…?" he asked.

"Y-you're alive…?" Roselle whispered to herself.

Jeremy thought she was just acting weird so he tried to laugh it off, "Haha… yeah… you think I'm dead?" he then decided to continue while he has her attention, "Also, can you tell me why I'm here?"

"You…" Roselle look around as she was finding the most rational explanation for this.

"... but, thinking about it, I'm no doctor. What if there's a phenomenon where your heart just stops beating for one whole night but you're actually not dead?"

Jeremy tilted his head as he could only hear her muttering.

"Also, I didn't try to see if he's brain dead or not. I should've at least tried to light his eyes or something. Ahh… I'm so stupid..! So, he could've been saved. No, he is alive and he looks like he has energy. But still, I should've brought him to the hospital…"

"Roselle!"

"Y-yes?" Roselle looked at him but before he could speak, she suddenly stood up and walked up to him, "Don't you feel any pain? Please, lie down first. Are you hungry? Are you thirsty?"

Jeremy couldn't follow Roselle's actions. Before he could say anything, she had already prepared him bread and water.

"This lack the nutrients but at least, it will fill your stomach. Give me a minute, I'll cook you some eggs-"

"Wait, Roselle." Jeremy stopped Roselle by holding her wrist. At least now he knows she's just worried for him. But before all that, he wants to know what exactly happened last night.

"Y-yes?"

Roselle seemed out of breath so Jeremy pulled her down, "Please, sit down first."

"..."

"I think I'm fine. Here, drink some water." he gave her what she prepared for him.

Roselle paused first before taking a drink. Jeremy's calm tone always puts her at ease. Even she couldn't understand how he could stay this calm. Though, he may not know that his heart stopped.

"You calmed down?" Jeremy asked to which Roselle nodded so he continued, "Is this your place?" he looked around.

Meekly, Roselle nodded, "Y-yeah…"

"How come I slept here… what about the accident? After the car crashed onto us, I don't remember anything. And, I seem finer than I thought I should be."

Roselle gulped after hearing the series of questions. She was also relieved that he didn't remember anything. That should be expected. But most importantly…

"Wait, yeah, you seem fine… is there nothing hurting you?" she worriedly asked, unthinkably crossing some distance between them.

"Yeah, nothing hurts." Jeremy remembered the buzzing pain in his head but now it's gone, "It feels like the crash last night was just a dream…" he pondered.

"Really? But you need to go to the hospital-"

"Before that, how about you?" Jeremy looked at her. Since he had a grasp on the situation, his concern switched to her.

"Me…?" Roselle never thought about that because compared to what happened to Jeremy, her situation was much better, "I guess I'm a bit tired but… I'm fine."

Realizing her face got too close, she backed up, flustered. She was fine more than ever, especially after knowing Jeremy is alive.

"I see but you seem a little bit off earlier," Jeremy recalled her looking like her soul just left her body.

"Ah… no, I'm really fine now." to satisfy Jeremy, Roselle explained, "I was… just worried about you…" but at that point, she couldn't look at him straight in the eyes.

"Oh, okay." Jeremy smiled, "And why didn't you bring me to the hospital?"

Hearing this, Roselle's face became dark. That's the thing she's most guilty about right now, "I-..." she was about to explain but she knew it would be just an excuse, "I'm so sorry…" she lowered her head.

"No, no, hahaha, sorry, my question is not clear." Jeremy waved his hand, "I mean, it is a good thing that you didn't bring me to the hospital because look, I'm all fine!" he jokingly showed his muscles to laugh it off. But his arm's bulging muscles were no joke that Roselle's eyes widened a little.

That was a little hot, she thought

There are really people in this world who look slender but are actually bulky if they want to. She just thought that his muscles were hard but not this big last night.

"Umm… but there may be internal damages so you should get a check-up."

"..." Jeremy lowered his arm. He hesitated a bit but he soon replied, "No, actually, I can't pay the medical bills anyway so that's better."

"Oh, if it's about money then-"

"No."

Roselle was met with a heavy reply. She looked and saw Jeremy's solemn eyes.

"I don't like owing people money."

"Ah, s-sorry…"

"No, no, it's fine. It's a personal thing, you're just trying to help."

"..." Roselle nodded before Jeremy stood up and stretched his arms.

"There's school today, righ- wait, my scooter!" Jeremy suddenly panicked, "W-where is it!?"

"I-it's outside." Roselle immediately brought him outside and showed him his scooter that has a huge dent in the front.

Seeing this, Jeremy was shaken.

"Shit! Fuck!" he tried to turn it on but to no avail, "Work… please, work!"

Roselle was taken aback by his reaction. Please work, she wished too.

But their wishes were not fulfilled after a few minutes of retry.

Jeremy's arms fell as he lost hope. After some pause, he sighed as he palmed his face.

"I'm… I'm sorry…" Roselle said, feeling like she was at fault.

"Eh?" Jeremy looked at her and smiled to lighten the mood, "What are you apologizing for?"

"Because… none of this would've happened if you didn't have to bring me home."

"Really? I don't think that's the case though." Jeremy then tried to recall something, "If I remember correctly, you said I should be careful but I didn't look both ways before crossing. Also, I'm a bit pushy last night and lost in thoughts so, you know, I should be the one who's sorry." he scratched his head.

"No, not at all!" Roselle replied and remembered the night too, her anger rose up, "Actually, the one who hit us is drunk and speeding!"

"Oh!" Jeremy thought of something, "Then, it's the drunkard's fault. I'll that person pay for…-ah!" before he realized that wouldn't happen.

"W-what?"

"I don't have a driver's license yet." Jeremy looked at Roselle with a defeated face to which she was confused.

"But he was the one drunk…"

"No, in their eyes, I'm the reckless student. Unless we can prove that the man was drunk last night, I will definitely lose the case." Jeremy sighed again, "Well, that's that. I have to go now."

"..." Roselle nodded. She felt so weak and hopeless.

"Umm, sorry about the bother. And, thank you. See you tomorrow, hahaha, I'll have to bring this home first so I don't think I can attend school right now."

"Eh? You're just going to walk the scooter? Isn't your home far?"

"Yeah… how do you know my house is far?"

Jeremy raised an eyebrow, making Roselle quiet and sweat. She couldn't say the reason.

"Oh, wait, yeah, I told you yesterday. I forgot, hahaha, silly me." Jeremy laughed before getting off his scooter, "I have no choice but to walk it home. It's still a bit early so it wouldn't be hot if I start walking now." he waved goodbye before pushing the scooter.

Fortunately, scooters are lighter than other motorbikes.

Roselle wanted to say she could accompany him or rent a tow truck. Although that would cost some money, it's worth it for Roselle. However, as Jeremy said, he didn't like owing people money.

Furthermore, even though so much happened since last night, Roselle still felt like Jeremy keeps his distance from her. They are more than classmates but still not friends.

2