The Story
10 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stare at Dani with my jaw hanging. Did they just take the heat off me? I can’t decide whether it’s a favour or an attempt to sabotage me. Even though I’m staring right at them, they avoid looking at me, like I’m a repulsive monster gibbering in the corner.

Instead, Dani just stands there, bold and confident, a haughty look of displeasure on their face.

Frank gives a brisk nod. “Okay, Dani. The full story—spill.”

“Guy came in, I pressed the button. What more is there to say?” They flick a copper curl out of their face. 

How can they possibly stay so calm? I wonder if they’ve super-dosed their drinks in the mornings. That would make the effects stronger, I suppose. My dose of Courage has practically fizzled out at this point, but that was a worker dose—one pump. Of course, it would be against the rules to take more than one at our class grade.

But if they’re so casual about serving abandoned, surely pumping a few extra doses of Confidence in their cup wouldn’t phase them.

Their dark eyes meet mine for a split second, but I can’t hold it. I look away, blushing furiously. I’m a messy tangle of emotions—angry, cocky, embarrassed, calm—natural hormones mixing with a chemical comedown. 

Frank locks the door and resets Melly’s AI. He listened to Dani, but surely he doesn’t believe them—I can’t read him very well, but it feels like he’s trying to figure out the right questions to ask.

Once the cafe is closed and we have some privacy, he returns and leans on the counter, so he’s nose-to-nose with Dani. “You wanna try that again, or should I go to the tapes?” He nods to the ceiling.

Of course there are cameras—every nook and cranny of Skycross is under surveillance. But now Dani is caught in a lie. And by extension, so am I.

I remain mute, looking first from Frank to Dani and back again, like I’m at a freaking tennis match. I wish I could speak up, but anything I say will only cause more trouble.

Dani smiles sweetly, hardly blinking under our boss’s intense scrutiny. “Frank, what does it matter? He came in, the alarms sounded, he’s been taken to reform.”

Frank eyes her carefully before making a gravelly hum low in his chest. Then he looks at me.

Oh shit.

“Kyla?”

“Hmm?” The pitch of my voice rises by about five octaves.

“Who pressed the alarm?”

Dani cocks their head at me. Well?

“Yeah, it was uh, Dani.” I smile and give a roll of my eyes, forcing my brain to process the lie I want to show on my face. Of course it was Dani, jeez Frank, overreact much? Get a load of this guy, am I right?

Frank nods, but doesn’t look convinced.

“Melly,” he calls to the ceiling.

“Hello, Frank.”

“Wipe the tapes from the last 3 days.”

What?

“Affirmative, Security footage deleted. Is there anything else?”

“Yes, corrupt the previous footage, back five days.”

“That’ll leave a fingerprint—” Dani interrupts, but Frank holds up a hand to stop them.

“Not once I get Lena to scramble it. Now, listen. The wardens are coming back tomorrow. You better get your stories straight by then—both of you. And make sure you dose her—“ he jabs a thumb at me, “—girl can’t tell a lie to save her life.”

What?

Dani takes one look at my confused, pissed off face and laughs. “Next stage of staff training starts now, Kyla.”

Frank stalks into the back office, muttering something about the security footage, while Dani beckons for me to follow them into the storage cupboard.

“I really wish you hadn’t called the wardens, but I get it. You’re in an awkward position,” Dani says as they calmly get to their knees and move bottles on one of the lower shelves. “But if you’re going to keep working here, this is going to happen more often. It’s part of what we do.”

Now that the huge bottles of syrups are pushed out of the way, Dani leans forward and reaches blindly to the back of the storage. They scramble about for a bit before producing a small bottle, small enough to fit in your fist. After I stare at them holding it out for a few seconds, they give it an irritated shake. “Well, take it!”

“Oh,” I take the bottle from them and read the label; ‘Composure.’

Dani replaces the bottles neatly and stands, brushing their apron down. “Yup. Keep it on you, all the time. You need it if the wardens ever come by. Man, I’m glad you didn’t crack when they were here. It’s a good thing we did Courage for you this morning, huh?”

They elbow me in the ribs again in a playful sort of way, and I clench my jaw, putting the small bottle in my apron. It takes all my energy to resist the urge to shout at them, demanding answers. Instead, I speak through gritted teeth. “Dani, would you please explain what the hell is going on?”

“In time,” they wave dismissively, walking back to the counter. “We have to open back up, and it’s best you don’t know too much right now. Just keep that on you—you’ll need it in the morning.”

I huff, blowing a sweat-soaked tendril of hair from my forehead, and follow back into the cafe. They wave me to the door, and I go to unlock it. Someone is already waiting outside—great.

I open the door and beam at them, doing my best to pull from the last drops of Courage remaining in the pit of my stomach. “Hello, welcome to Emotiv. I’m sorry for the delay—“

“Yeah, right, whatever. Who’s serving today?”

A paranoid wave hits me, and I look down to check for a bracelet. On their right wrist, I see it—worker class, male—at least they’re not from the underbelly, too. I sigh and move aside to let them in. They push past me and stalk over to the counter.

“Greetings, patron. You will be served by Dani today.” Melly singsongs over the speakers.

“Dani!” they call with a grin. Sure, they’re happy to see Dani. Everyone loves Dani. Dani’s so amazing, Dani’s so special… I roll my eyes and make faces behind the customer’s back. 

Dani raises an eyebrow at me before smiling at the patron. “Hey, Ike. Nice to see you again.”

“Whip me up a cup of that sweet Focus, will ya?”

“Coming right up, Ike. Kyla?” They both turn to look at me. “Come here and watch.”

Guess I’ve been demoted. I trudge over and watch Dani demonstrate for me again, barely resisting the urge to roll my eyes when they remind me to “Stir it slowly. This is very important. Again, I don’t know why, I didn’t study chemistry. It just works.”

Yes Dani. Whatever you say Dani. As you command Dani.

I beam at them and nod enthusiastically until Ike is served and gone. When he walks out the door, my sunny expression immediately melts off my face.

“What is up with you?” Dani asks in an accusatory tone.

“What’s up with me? What do you think! Dani, I just watched a man get knocked out by the wardens for existing!”

“After you called the wardens. What did you think would happen, Kyla?”

“I—“ My voice had grown louder but this stops me dead.

What did I think would happen? It’s not like the wardens are known for being amicable. We all know to keep our distance when they’re around. But I’d never seen anything like this before, up close and personal. It was more than I expected. More than I can stomach right now. “I don’t…”

I can’t find the words.

Dani’s expression softens. They pat me on the shoulder. “It’s okay. It’s tough, the first time. Just be cautious, okay? Don’t call the wardens unless you really need to. A guy asking for water is a threat to no one.”

“But the diseases—“

I jump in shock when Dani bursts out laughing—right in my face, practically spitting at me. 

“Sorry!” they chuckle, “Kyla, honey, you don’t seriously believe that propagandist bullshit, do you?”

“They live in the sewers, Dani. The sewers!”

They nod, eyes wide. “Ooh yeah, that’s right. I bet it’s just crawling with viruses and rats and contagions, right?”

“Well… Yeah!”

They snort.

I can’t say I love being spoken to like a child by someone my own age. You could swear I just told them one plus one equals four. I can’t stand the look of pity they give me. 

Keep your cool, Kyla. You need this job. There isn’t anything else. You’ve looked.

My God have you looked.

“Look Kyla, I get it. I laugh now, but I believed all this stuff too, once. You’ll see differently. You’re in the real world now—you won’t be able to shelter yourself from the truth anymore.”

“I’m not sheltering myse—“

“And you know what? You’ll feel better for it. You have a chance to do some real good, working here. You’ll see.”

“But what about the wardens coming tomorro—“

“Just stick to the story I gave. Frank and I will have it covered. You’re not working tomorrow, but you’ll need to be here early. You know the wardens won’t tolerate tardiness.”

“I’ve never had an interview with a warden before.”

Finally Dani goes silent. They look me up and down, and seem to consider something for a moment, before giving me a smile—the sort of smile a mother gives to a toddler when they’ve bruised their knee.

“Do you want an extra dose? Of Composure?”

“No.” I pout.

“Maybe something else? I could slip you some Confidence when you get in, if you like. Frank will be cool with it.”

“No, thank you.”

I don’t even know why I’m digging my heels in on this—Dani’s just trying to help. But they’re helping themselves, too. Poor Kyla, can’t lie to the wardens, can’t keep her story straight, hasn’t got a clue. 

Poor, sad, clueless, pathetic Kyla.

I’m not pathetic. I’m not clueless. I can do this… whatever this is.

2