Finale: Moving On
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

By the time the wardens return with a supply of Composure, courtesy of Emotiv, Sinclair and Harding are draining their third whisky.

“The water brings the flavours out, you see?” Sinclair hiccups. “Without it, it’s just not the same. Ah! There you are.” He motions to the wardens in the elevator. “Please, come in. Thank you.”

Frank and I fetch the compliance and soak Dani and Lena’s lips with the neat syrup, patiently wetting their tongues in the hope of bringing them back to consciousness. Lena’s eyes flutter almost right away, and Frank quickly brings her up to date.

Dani lays limp in my arms, their eyelashes thick and dark against their cheeks. Stroking their face, I run my thumb across their lower lip, willing them to wake up. “Come on, come on…”

Three doses. I couldn’t help but count them as I watch their motionless face. The first when Harding first took them from Emotiv. The second in reform. And now a third.

Caleb got three doses. 

“Come on…”

“Patience is a virtue,” Dani says weakly, their face brightening instantly, eyes fluttering open.

A small squeak escapes me, and I hold Dani’s face in both hands, bending down and kissing them, not caring about anyone else in the room.

“I thought I lost you,” I say through the thick feeling in my throat, the threatening tears choking me. “I thought you were dead. I thought—”

“Shh.” Dani strokes a hand through my hair, gazing up into my eyes. “I’m alright. A bit dazed but…”

“There, you see?” Sinclair says with a satisfied smile, although his eyes soften when he looks at Dani, as though he’s beginning to feel the first pangs of guilt. “All’s well that ends well.”

“Here,” I pass the glass of Composure to Dani. “This will help.”

While Lena and Dani come to, we fill them in on the ‘deal’. I don’t give too many details about the terms we’ve agreed, only that Lena needs to broadcast a message to Skycross.

It takes her no time to set up a makeshift studio in Sinclair’s apartment with his computer and a security camera, ready to transmit his announcement across the city. While she works, I watch Sinclair and Harding carefully, noting every frown, every flicker of doubt that crosses their face. As time goes by, it becomes more and more frequent, until Lena is ready to broadcast. 

“Alright,” she says warily. “It’s not perfect, but it’ll do. Who’s going live first?”

I raise my eyebrows at Sinclair. “I think Mr Sinclair should start.”

He looks surprised, but nods slowly, like he’s considering his options. “Yes… yes, of course. I’ll go first.”

While Sinclair positions himself in front of the camera, I turn to Dani and take their hand.

“Come on,” I murmur. “Let’s go.”

They frown. “Aren’t you meant to do a thing?”

I shake my head.

“People of Skycross, residents of Central Square. I speak to you tonight, not as a VIP, but as a fellow resident of this city.” Sinclair looks earnestly into the camera, his lower lip trembling as he seems to weigh his words. “I… I have so much to tell you.”

Dani and I walk hand in hand to the elevator, where Harding stares out of the window. Outside, Sinclair’s face is plastered over every building, every ad board, every visible screen in Skycross.

Harding’s eyes are glassy, his shoulders slumped. As the elevator doors close behind us, he slides to the floor, covering his head with his hands and sobbing softly. 

“What the hell did you do to him?” Dani asks.

I shrug. “Frank and I figured they needed a taste of their own medicine.”

Dani cocks an eyebrow. “Yeah, sure, but which one?”

“Take your pick.” I grin, embracing the warmth in my veins from the liquid happiness I’ve dosed myself with.

Outside, the air is cool and crisp. I breathe deeply, weaving through the assembled wardens and rioters in warden gear. 

“Many years ago, we implemented a new reform centre within Skycross. We promised that the inmates there would be given the skills to survive and thrive in society. But in truth… they were nothing more than free labour. I turned a blind eye to the reasons for their imprisonment, but I did not work alone in this.”

Dani squeezes my hand as we reach the edge of Central Square, tugging on me slightly. “Kyla, wait—”

I turn back to them. “What’s wrong?”

“Where are we going?”

“I… I don’t know.” I laugh a little. “Anywhere.”

Over Dani’s shoulder, I see my mother, standing with her face turned up to the massive screens dominating the central plaza. Behind her stands Caleb, with one hand on her shoulder. I know it’s not this simple. Even if I walk away, he’ll still haunt me.

“Anywhere but here.”

“Dennis Harding, the Chief Warden of Skycross, was elected to his position due to my recommendation. He and I made a deal to fill reform as quickly as possible, and keep it full, so that Emotiv would have an abundance of free workers. Willing, compliant workers, thanks to the emotion enhancers we have at our disposal. I regret this. I do not know how to make it up to you. I put my fate into your hands.”

Dani kisses me softly, their hand cupping my chin. “Okay. Let’s go.”

There’s more to fix, more to survive. Like the tendrils of Oblivion that curl in the back of my mind, waiting for a dark moment to strike. Any moment of doubt, or sadness, or despair, and the drug will take effect, replaying my mistakes, my trauma, my sins, on repeat in front of my eyes. 

And yet, at this moment, walking hand-in-hand with Dani, I don’t really mind. Maybe it’s the prospect of a fresh start, a new place, a new life.

Or maybe that’s just the Serenity talking.


Author’s Note:

Wow. A whole year since I started developing my short story into this serial novel. It’s the first time I’d ever written a serial, and I went into it with less than an ideal plan. I had no outline, no ending, and very little idea of what I was doing. I just knew it was a good way to motivate myself to write (almost) every week. 

Emotiv has been a huge learning experience for me, and while it’s definitely more than a little rough around the edges, I’m really pleased to have seen the project through to the end.

I’m going to take a few months off from working on Emotiv now to work on other projects, and then I’ll be looking back over this story as a first draft, ready to edit into a more cohesive and well planned out novel. Hah. Should be fun!

In the meantime, if you have any comments or feedback about this story and all its many varied plotholes, please do let me know - it’ll come in really useful when I finally sit down to polish it up!

Thank you so much for reading Kyla’s weird and tangled story. I hope you enjoyed it in its current form, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for following along!

Ria x

0