Chapter 3- Overcast II
379 4 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The seven year old Rin panted, heaving breath after breath of exhaustion. She stood on her two wobbly feet on a hard circular training ground, (or just a large open space surrounded by dozen of the neatly organized and well-built wooden house) while showered by the usual cold and white snow that had conquered the entirety of the continent. She was holding a small wooden sword that she used as a cane to support herself in her fatigue.

She was also sweating and was decently hot despite the weather but, stubbornly, she still wore warm and slightly heavy clothes. Under normal circumstances, that would have been normal and perhaps, even recommended. However, since right now she was supposed to be training, her clothes were more bothersome than anything. She had been moving around a lot, building heat along the way, so logic would want her to at least loosen up her attire.

Rin didn't do so. Not because of some silly reason like she wanted to build resistance against heat, or, because she was afraid to catch a sickness, nor even because it was some sort of weird training. Rin was putting up with the building heat of her clothes because... she couldn't handle the cold anymore.

“How about we call it a day, little girl?” An old man, opposite where Rin was, said. “I think you've done more than enough training for now.” He wore a kind smile behind his voluptuous white beard and slowly advanced toward his granddaughter.

Rin slowly regained her breath and returned her look to the older figure. “No,” She said. “It's only been an hour or two, at most.” She steadied her posture and held her sword firmly once more.

“At most, you say.” The old man chuckled. “Believe me Rin, at your age, that's already over the top.”

“But that's still not nearly high enough.”

The grandfather sighed. The expression on his face seemed to say ‘What a stubborn child.’ Rin frowned and placed the wooden weapon in front of her.

Just as she waited for her grandfather to also take his stance, however, she was instead shown one of the worst acting jobs she had ever seen in her life (not that she had seen that many).

“Ahhhh!!” Her grandfather mimicked a cry of pain, arched his back a little, and wore an expression of distress. “Ahhh! My back! It hurts! It hurts so much!”

His voice was monotonous so Rin knew immediately that he was acting. She pouted. “Stop playing around, grandfather.”

“It hurts! Help me!” The old man rubbed his back and seemed to try really hard to produce crocodile tears.

“Grandfather.”

“Ahhh! What a cruel child you are! Not even a hint of worry when I am in this much pain!!”

“Grandfather! ” Rin frowned and pouted even more. ‘Only an idiot would fall for this trick you know?’ was what her expression was saying.

And yet the old man didn't stop his comedy. He wailed and thrashed a little, one bead of tears finally managed to fall. Seeing that Rin didn't buy his acting, he even bent down on the ground. His voice sounded less and less monotonous (though it was still obvious it was an act) and he continued his trick for a good five minutes.

Rin, on the other hand just looked at him, arm folded against her chest. However, her expression softened rapidly and she began to show a hint of worry.

“G-grandfather?” She said, seeing a bit of exhaustion on the old man.

The man's wail intensified and Rin finally began to panic. She slowly strode toward the man with a mix of doubt and worry on her face.

“Are you alright?” She asked as she slowly rubbed the man's back.

“I'm not!” The man said loudly making Rin panic even more. “But I can be if you take a break with me.”

Rin stopped moving, looked at the man's smirk, and became slightly embarrassed from falling to her grandfather's trick. She turned her head away, and frowned, speechless.

“If possible for, umm, nine more years?” The old man added fuel to the fire.

Rin grumbled, angry. “Fine, if you do not want to train me, I'll do it alone.” She turned her back to the man and began to walk away.

—Only to bump into someone else.

“Hey there, little Sis!” With that cocky grin, she was certain she would recognize anywhere, a black-haired and blue-eyed boy entered her sight.

“Brother...”

“Don't you think you're being a little too stubborn here?”

Rin maintained her frown, looking at the older boy for a second.

He was five years older than her, had a good looking face that would certainly grow to be very handsome, let out a kind and warm vibe around him, and above all, always wore a smile on his face, the sole difference he had with their father who, on the opposite, wore a calm and stoic expression all the time.

Rei was the only one, besides her grandfather, who genuinely cared about Rin in her family. Her other relatives only showed her either indifference or hate. That's why Rin liked both of them.

But, that was also why she needed her family to acknowledge her.

“No, I do not think so.” Rin said before resuming her march away from the two people.

With a sad smile on his face, Rei put his hand on Rin's shoulder. “You...” He said, hesitating. “You don't have to become like us, you know that right?”

Rin hung his head down without looking at her brother. “I do need to become stronger.” She said, weakly, uncomfortable with sharing her thoughts.

“Why?” Rei asked back with a more serious smile.

Rin didn't answer immediately. She bowed her head down even further as though trying to escape reality. She clenched one of her hands on her wooden sword and the other on the warm clothes she was wearing. She opened her mouth. No sound came out. She tried again.

“...S-so that mother and father,” She mumbled. “...acknowledge me.”

Rei stayed quiet at first and slowly advanced in front of her sister. He placed his two hands on either of her shoulders. “I still think this is wrong, Sis. You're not even ten yet. You can't put this much strain on yourself.” His smile faltered but, with a great deal of effort, he managed to maintain it. “You're just a kid, Sis. And kids aren't meant to train as you do.”

Rin lifted her head and looked at her brother. Trying to match him, she wore a sad smile before replying. “It's especially because I'm their kid that I need them to approve of me.”

That was it. Rei's smile fell. “You—”

“Alright, alright, kid,” Grandfather interrupted, and placed his wrinkly hands on Rin's head. “I get that you're, annoyingly stubborn, but, this time it's non-negotiable.”

“W-what?” Rin looked up at the tall old man behind her.

“The end of the year festival is approaching, so, this time only, I'm gonna use my absolute authority as a grandfather.” The old man put on a very dramatic face and looked down at the little girl arrogantly. “Therefore, I order you, cute little child, to have fun!”

“...Eh?”

Then the grandfather laughed. Rin was speechless once again and was not able to come up with an answer for the old man's weird antics. Were all old people like this? She had the impression her grandfather was more like a child than an adult, and yet, somehow, he radiated a mature vibe.

How did that work?

Rin heard Rei chuckled and returned her eyes to him.

“Well, you heard that, Sis,” He said joyfully. “You can't go against grandpa's authority!”

Rin frowned at the statement and pouted. She looked away from the boy and stubbornly answered, “I can.”

Rei laughed. Her grandfather ruffled her head, messing her short hair, and smiled gently. “Nope,” The old man said.

“You can't!” The young man added.

Then the two of them continued their laughing fit.

Rin's cheek reddened and she felt like she was being mocked. She felt embarrassed too and didn't have a single a clue how she should respond. When she did open her mouth, however, the two men laughed louder and drowned her voice. They were clearly mocking her.

“Now you're forced to have fun, little Sis!” Rei said, a little exhausted from laughing too much.

“You don't have a choice!” The old man added.

Rin frowned further. “I—”

Once again, the two didn't let her speak. Rei abruptly took her hand and began to drag her away outside of the training ground. Rin was certain the boy didn't actually have any destination in mind and was just messing with her. And, since he didn't seem to listen to any of her words, she didn't have any other choice than to follow him.

“Let's have, fun, okay, Rin?” Rei asked, a little less joyful than earlier.

Rin's eyes slightly widened. She looked at the back of her brother's head for a while and struggled to voice her answer. She felt her brother's hand squeeze hers and felt warmth slowly spread over her chest. Her frown loosened and her mouth hesitantly opened.

“...Fine.” She said while feigning a reluctant expression on her face.

Deep in her heart, though, a small happiness was blooming.

Droplets of snow fell like usual, covering roofs and grounds and... umbrellas. The rain didn't fall yet but the clouds forming in the sky seemed to say it was only a question of time. Whether it rained or not, though, the funeral mood, the black suits, and the praying priest seemed to encourage the people to rise their umbrellas. To shield themselves against tears.

It was cold. Very cold despite the number of people attending the burial ceremony.

And yet, for the first time ever, Rin didn't seem to care about how cold it was. She couldn't care about it. Her heart had already frozen from the inside, and her eyes had lost all of their warmth. Her two frail hands laid limply at her side, and her mind had already stopped thinking. How she was able to even stand was a mystery.

She couldn't move.

Her focus was concentrated solely on the tall gravestone two meters away from her. Everything else was noise. The words the priest was saying, the fact that her entire family was there with her but didn't look at her with disgust, didn't mock her and didn't shoo her away, and, even the fact that her mother was standing just beside her. None of it mattered right now.

The only thing that mattered...

The only thing that she saw was... the name on the gravestone.

Her grandfather's name.

“...May peace be brought upon you.” Were the final word of the priest.

Minutes passed.

Each person present took turns, advanced to the deceased, and said their final farewell. People outside of the family gave their condolences and tried to comfort some of Rin's relatives. Some people talked to the thirteen years old Rin, tried to give her courage, and snap her out of her trance, but, the little girl just couldn't see them.

Hours passed.

Everyone had left. Except for Rei. The boy—one year away from adulthood— remained by his sister's side and waited patiently. At some point, he took the girl's hand and intertwined their fingers. He, however, never opened his mouth and simply looked at the gravestone in complete silence.

Not that he didn't want to talk and comfort his sister, of course, but he felt like whatever he wanted to say would be meaningless. So he waited. Even if it would take days for her sister to regain her spirit, he would wait.

Another hour passed.

And at long last, Rin spoke.

“G-grandfather...” Her voice quavered.

She choked on her breath. Her nose burned, her chest tightened and any word that could have further escaped her mouth got caught in her throat. Her eyes reddened, and she wept.

Yet, she gathered the last bit of force she had and took one step forward. And then another. And another, until she all but stumbled on the gravestone. She let go of Rei's hands—the last source of warmth she had— and hugged the grave with her small frame. Quietly, Rin's weak sobbing voice resounded.

 

 

Time mercilessly moved on, urging everyone to follow in its step and let go of the past. Some managed to do so, others not so much. Rin was, unfortunately, among the latter. It could even be said that her time had frozen, trapping her for weeks on end, preventing her from facing forward.

She didn't eat, didn't utter a sound, and stayed cooped in her room. If one didn't know any better, Rin appeared as though she wanted to end her own life. And maybe that was the case. However, for better or for worse, she was still alive and would stay so for at least a month even if she didn't eat anymore. Human physiology was tough after all, especially for Rin, who, despite being ignored and/or hated by her family, had led a pretty healthy lifestyle. Rin was in better shape than other girls her age. Or, at least, she had been in better shape.

Now, though, she was weak. Her body was suffering from hunger, and lack of care. She probably stank right now since she couldn't even remember the last time she took a bath. Worse was her emotional state. It was a complete jumbled mess of chaos that depicted different versions of sorrow and grief and powerlessness and incomprehension.

What really marked her, however, was that despite how bad of a state she was in right now, no one came for her. Her brother did come, yes, but every single one of his few visits were brief. Very brief. They didn't even have time to talk past their greeting since her brother would always be needed elsewhere.

The death of her grandfather was a pretty big deal, after all. And Rei, being the heir of the family, had every reason to be busy because of that. Rin understood. She knew that she couldn't be selfish and bother her brother when the family needed him so much right now.

She knew that, but...

The realization that no one was there to lift her up when she was at the very bottom of a dark pit broke her spirit even more.

She had always believed in her heart, that, despite the hate and the scorn, she was still a member of the family. She might not have been a noble like all of them, but, she had their blood in her veins. She thought that.... at least, that meant something. And yet, now, for the very first time in her life, she thought that, maybe, she really was just an..... outsider.

 

Rin clenched her teeth, took a deep breath, and, with a very torn expression, finally lifted herself up.

 

No one was there for her, and no one would be there. She was alone.

Therefore, she would move on alone.

 

 

The girl ran through the cold falling snow.

Rin was unwanted, and, as such, she wasn't allowed to live with her family. Her room—or perhaps her house— was a one-floor, slightly Japanese-styled building, that was ten minutes away from the main mansion where all her important relatives lived.

She was provided with the necessities to live, thankfully, like food, some clothing, and such, but rarely was she ever visited by people other than the servant and the tutors. Her mother and her father never called for her, and for the few times, she managed to gather the courage to try and visit them, the unwelcome gaze of her other relatives was always waiting for her.

Naturally, Rin learned to appreciate being alone and, despite wanting to, avoided meeting up with any of her kin(unless they were the ones that approached her.)

Right now, however, was slightly different.

Rin's hastened breath transformed into mist and passed by her.

Nervousness grew in her chest and the cold wind certainly didn't help her. Running did, thankfully. She wasn't exerting herself that much, so no sweat, but she still managed to grow a little heat inside her warm, winter clothes. Despite the hood she was wearing, though, the tip of her ears and nose still adopted a red tint.

Nonetheless, right now, her physical condition was of no importance.

After less than ten minutes of racing, Rin arrived at the door of the main mansion. Lowering her pace, she took her time before touching the handle of the entryway. Her heart got wild in her chest. She inhaled a deep breath and steadied herself.

‘Alright,’ She thought, gathering her courage. ‘I just need to find mother.’

As soon as she opened the door, countless gazes rained down on her.

‘Don't dwell on them, don't stop.’

Surprise, indifference, displeasure, and hate. Rin guessed those were the different emotions displayed upon the gaze that looked down on her. If she stopped and looked back at them, she was certain all the remaining courage she had would disappear and she would instantly turn back and run toward her mansion.

So she didn't.

Running wasn't allowed inside the mansion, so Rin simply walked quickly, looked ahead, and ignored all the other people present. She knew where her mother's office was, so that was where she was going. No need to care about anything else. Thankfully, by some miracle, no one stopped or called out to her.

Probably because they, too, were still mourning the death of her grandfather.

With an immense amount of pressure, Rin succeeded in going up to the second floor where fewer people were present. She didn't see her brother anywhere but saw some kid around her age glaring at her. Her cousins.

‘Don't dwell on it!’

Her mother's office should be just a few feet away from where she was. Just a little more. She kept her head up, to avoid bumping into anyone, but her eyes were intent on looking down at the ground. Her nervousness grew and grew and she began to sweat a little.

She shook her head a little to rid herself of her uncertainty.

Finally, she stood at the door where the name ‘Reza Kagane’ was written. Her mother's name.

Rin took another deep breath and raised her hand to knock at the door. She froze.

‘You can do this, Rin.’ She thought to herself.

She closed her eyes, gulped, released her breath, and managed through subconscious movements to tap her hands against the wooden frame. She opened her mouth to try and say something but failed. Instead, she waited and hoped that the knock was enough.

No one answered, though.

Her heartbeat hastened further.

She knocked again.

Silence.

More nervousness.

She steeled herself and prepared to speak.

“Mothe—”

“—You...” A voice interrupted.

Rin's nervousness reached its climax and she stiffened.

“What are you doing here?”

Rin clenched her hands and exhaled quickly.

‘Alright.’

She turned behind her, opened her eyes, and saw the frown plastered on her mother's face. Talking to her was probably one of the most difficult things Rin had to face in her life. Nevertheless, she needed to do it, now more than ever, so that she could advance forward in her life.

Rin only needed one request.

“M-mother, I...” Rin said weakly. Her gaze obviously couldn't remain locked with the older woman's.

As she was preparing to speak the next word, however, she saw the small figure of someone hiding behind her mother's shadow. Rin bugged on the silhouette. Rena. Her little sister. For obvious reasons and slightly less obvious ones, it was really difficult to ignore her like her other relatives.

‘Don't... dwell on it.’

After a couple of seconds, and mostly thanks to the intense glare of her mother, Rin regained her sense.

She looked back at her mother and stuttered. “I-I... I—”

“Out with it, girl,” Her mother urged, though her tone wasn't that menacing. “Say what you want. Quickly.”

For the nth time, Rin took a deep breath. She clenched her hand even tighter.

“...I can't live here anymore.” She finally said, trying her best to not look away from her mother's face.

If the older woman was surprised by the request, she didn't show it on her face. Rin couldn't decipher what kind of emotion her mother had at the moment. She simply looked at her with an even more intense glare.

Rin flinched but continued with her request.

“Please, l-let.... Let me go,” she said. “Away from... from all of you.”

19