Chapter 12- Fog IV
185 6 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Rin!” Celia's voice finally made it to her ears and she looked up. “A-are you alright? Your eyes...”

Rin's breath was haggard and she felt weirdly exhausted despite not having done anything. She was crouched, one knee touching the ground. She had blanked out. For how long? It didn't matter. Law's presence was growing dangerously close to them so they needed to move. Fast.

“They're catching up,” Sophia said alarmingly. She crouched and held Rin and Celia around their waist again. “Excuse me.”

They jumped and flew through the air. The bit of disarray in Rin's eyes disappeared and she tried to assess the situation. There was still quite a distance before they reached Ark's HQ and one look behind her showed the monster, holding Law in his left arm, jumping from building to building. ‘We won't make it...’ She concluded.

“Leave... me.” She said quietly.

“What?” Sophia said and she could see Celia glaring at her.

“They're... after me, so...”

With Law still in the game, separating from Celia was a bad idea but, it was still better than all three of them getting caught. Of course, it wasn't like they were guaranteed to lose but neither were they guaranteed to win. It was better to be safe than sorry. If Law was, indeed, after her, there was no need for other people to get hurt.

“Nope,” Sophia said before Celia could. “I barely just met you, sweetie, no way am I going to lose a chance to count you as one of my friends. Even if you're...” She paused, probably avoiding mentioning  Rin's supernatural strength. “Plus, an Elite must protect the citizens.” She winked at her.

“That's right!” Celia said. “So don't do anything funny!”

Rin couldn't help but... smile. ‘A friend...’ She thought, then mentally shook her head. ‘Even so,’ she looked back towards Law and was about ready to forcefully break off of Sophia when she heard a gunshot. A bullet scratched her cheek and another headed straight toward Sophia's head. Out of reflex, she quickly raised her hands to catch it.

The bullet flattened against her skin. Rin winced in pain and, as if just remembering it, her belly throbbed as well. 

Another gunshot and a third bullet flew through the air, heading straight towards Sophia's left shoulder. She couldn't catch it this time. Her heart sank when she saw Celia nearly falling out of Sophia's grasp. The green-eyed girl let out a groan of pain, and soon, they fell to the ground. Rin wanted to help but her window of opportunity was too short and too sudden to do anything.

They crashed on the ground, Sophia receiving the brunt of it.

“Sophia!” Celia shouted, immediately trying to help the girl.

Rin glared at the sky, standing up and moving in front of the two. Some citizens were still around them but, thankfully, they already seemed to be running away: Rin doubted she could very well order them to move away. Law and the monster landed—crashed in front of her barely a second later. Sophia stood up behind her and she could feel Celia's hand finding hers. She bit her lips when she smelled blood oozing out of Sophia.

“It seems I might have, indeed, been a little too hasty,” Law said going out of the small cloud of dust the monster had created. “Could you really blame me, though? You, Kuroki Rin, just seemed so much like the last piece I was missing. A powerless Winter Noble. Someone I could manipulate— someone I could use my power on.”

The monster growled behind him and Sophia took a step forward.

“However, it seems my little Rouge was wrong,” He said, frowning at her. “And that, my dear, is something that rarely ever happens. Make no mistakes, though, you are coming with us.” 

Rin tensed and exhaled a breath. Everything seemed to slow down. Things were not going to be easy. Law would be the priority but taking him down without him being able to utter a single word and with the monster protecting him seemed kinda difficult. They were lucky earlier but, now...

‘No other choice, though,’ Rin thought.

She held her breath and ripped another button off her coat.

Hound.” Law uttered.

The beast roared, its fang extended before it leaped forward, destroying the ground on which it was walking. Sophia was slow to react but that was good since it was better to have her near Celia. Rin needed to be fast and precise. She let go of her friend's hand and kicked the ground, jumping up and intercepting the monster halfway through its destination.

Both of her knees crashed against its dog-like face and yet, it was so hard she felt like she was the one receiving the more damage. She bit her lips to further her focus. Thankfully, the monster lost its balance nonetheless. Still in mid-air, she rotated on herself and kicked the aberration square at the left side of its face, creating a small window toward Law. Using the same momentum, she threw the button towards Law's opening mouth. If she missed that shot, it was all over. 

She fell to the ground and the monster nearly fell to its side. The monster growled, didn't even try to regain its balance, and spun its claws at her. Rin couldn't spare it a thought. She hadn't missed but the button hadn't choked the man either. She kicked the ground again, received the brunt of the Hound's attack on her back, and shot forward towards Law.

Sto—

Rin hit him dead on the stomach and noticed it was unnaturally hard. ‘Some kind of armor, perhaps?’ That was probably why he hadn't lost consciousness earlier. The man coughed the button out before she choked his throat. It would be easy to snap his neck and kill him, but she wasn't sure she could take it mentally. The man's complexion turned blue and he was slowly losing his consciousness.

Rin let out a small relieved sigh.

The Hound growled behind her, but, it seems the concept of loyalty was present in its mind. If the thing decided to attack nonetheless, however, things would get pretty bad. ‘Just a few more seconds...’ She thought, eyeing the monster carefully for any abrupt movement. Once Law was out, the battle was as good as won—or at least, it would be easier.

‘—!’

Rin's grip suddenly loosened and she could see Law slowly regaining his composure. She frowned and tried to apply more strength, yet, her hand refused to obey her. Her veins began to show but no matter what, some kind of energy seemed to prevent her from suffocating the man. She bit her lips as her hands was slowly being pushed back.

Law glared at her and, even without speaking, his Order was obvious: Move.

‘So... he doesn't even need to speak?’ She thought as she began to sweat.

The moment her hands left the man's neck, the Hound roared and hit her on her left side. Rin barely managed to block it and was still pushed away. She maintained her balance, Law gave her a sideye glance and she was pinned down on the ground with the monster's large hand. It didn't hurt and the thing's grip was loose enough that she knew she could easily break free but... the moment she tried to move Law would speak a word.

“Rin!” Sophia shouted and leaped forward, leaving Celia's side.

Rin clenched her hands.

A blur of shadow fell from the sky, violently crashing on the ground. Clouds of dust arose followed by a hysterical laugh.

“Woow! he packs quite the punch doesn't he?” Aiden said as his figure was slowly outlined by the smoke. “That's how I like th—”

Another two blurs of black mass shut him up, crashing directly against his skin, this time, clearing up the smokescreen. Aiden was buried so deep into the ground that Rin was unable to see him anymore. Kein's figure appeared from the sky, standing on top of a circular-like floating black platform, slowly coming down but never reaching ground level.

“Is that all?” He said with a scoff. “Pathetic.”

Rin's heartbeat accelerated as her eyes met his. Kein, however, didn't deign to look at her for more than a second. He first assessed the situation by looking from Sophia, to the monster and then at Law, only giving a sideglance at Celia. The two spherical masses that attacked Aiden returned to his side, joining the two others floating in circle at his back.

He sighed in disappointment. “Pathetic.” He repeated. “I expected more out of Ark's people.” His glare was mainly directed at Sophia.

Without warning, three of his sphere pierced through the air with so much speed the Hound couldn't even react before it was lifted off of Rin. The thing roared, and one of the spheres broke its jaw, another hit its shoulder while the last one hit the back of its right knee, making it stumble on the ground. The three assembled and hit its face, separated, and assaulted it nonstop.

“Stop!” Law shouted all the while firing his gun at the Noble.

Kein's blue Aura flared brushing off the bullet like it was nothing and protecting him from the brainwashing. He raised his hand and his remaining sphere floated around it, melting into a liquid-like form before taking on the shape of a large knife. He flung his hand in Law's direction and his blade flew forward without hesitation.

“Kuh!” 

Blood dripped down from Law's neck as the knife stopped a second away from taking his life. Kein looked at him for a second while narrowing his eyes.

“Who are yo— hm?” 

He looked up and a crack sound reverberated. Two of them in fact. The area was already evacuated but if not for that, a loud siren sound would have played out right at this moment. The Rift opened and two loud inhuman screams resounded. 

Kein just smirked.

The first Demon possessed wings and flew straight towards the Noble while the other just fell on the ground, dangerously close to Rin. She looked at the thing just as it let out its long black tongue, seeming to lick its lips. Another fat demon. After what she had experienced and done, she shouldn't be afraid of them anymore but, things wouldn't be that easy, would they? She got stuck on the ground, unable to take her eyes off the demon.

Before she could regain her composure, however, a black blade abruptly penetrated through the thing's skull, halting it in its movement. For good measures, the blade rotated on itself, utterly destroying the demon's head. Some of the blood got sprayed on Rin's face and she found herself thankful that they weren't acidic.

She turned her head back towards Kein to see the remaining Demon incessantly hammering the boy with its claws. With his Aura still deployed, though, the thing might as well have been attacking an invulnerable wall. The noble on his part, now firmly on the ground, simply looked at the monster with his arrogant smile. A second later and the same blade pierced through its heart.

Kein let out a sigh, the monster fell and he took out a handkerchief from his pocket to wipe the bit of blood on his face.

He frowned and suddenly spun his head to his right. “Another one?” He asked no one in particular. 

The black blade moved out of the monster's body and flew straight toward where he was looking.

‘That... was where we were, earlier.’ Rin thought, slowly getting into a seating position.

“Well then,” Kein said, returning his gaze towards Law. “Who are you?”

Rin couldn't quite catch what he or Law said after that as she saw Celia frantically running towards her, panic and worry on her face. Luckily, the auburn girl didn't seem hurt or injured by any of what had happened. She didn't even seem exhausted, her clothes looked cleaner than they were before, and... she looked way too pristine for the situation.

‘Is that.. another effect of her 'weird' power?’ 

Even now, a fine sheet of red-colored energy was covering the girl's body. It looked too much like an Aura.

“Are you okay?!” She shouted, extending her hands to help Rin up.

Rin took it, keeping Kein in a corner of her sight.

“H-how did you...” Celia said. “How did you do that? You know, like, the jumping...?”

Rin put on a wry smile, seeing Sophia approaching.

“I... could ask you the same thing.” She said, not expecting an answer.

First, disabling the mind control then stopping a bullet. ‘Does she have a protection type Singularity? But... Didn't she say that she had healed me before? What else can she do?’ Rin was curious. Very much so, but now was hardly the best time to satiate herself. Either way, it was a fact that Celia's ability was strong.

Sophia arrived before any of them could hold the conversation.

“Things took a weird turn but,” She said, putting on a smile but not letting go of her cautiousness. “I think it's safe for us to go for now.”

A whistling resounded before a wet and cold sensation prickled the back of Rin's neck.

“No,” Kein said, glaring at her. “I haven't finished talking with you.”

Rin bit her lips as she felt the black blade pushing her skin.

“Hey!” Celia shouted glaring back at Kein. “What are y—”

“Shut up, Fake,” Kein said over the ginger girl. “I didn't speak to you.”

“Wha—!” A vein popped on her head.

Rin placed a hand on Celia's shoulder to calm her down. Kain's attitude wasn't that surprising in contrast to the look in his eyes. She couldn't see anger in them nor the usual sheer arrogance he was always displaying. He wasn't... looking down on her. He seemed... wary, even.

‘No...’ Rin narrowed her eyes.

“Very arrogant, aren't ya?.” Aiden said out of nowhere, catching her attention.

Since who knows when, he was standing next to Law, playing with the black knife that had threatened the man. He was wearing his usual smile and for how much his clothes were damaged, he seemed extremely fine. Not too surprising, he wouldn't be a worldwide researched criminal if that was enough to take him down. Kein, however, wasn't of that opinion, judging by his slightly widened eyes.

The black knife vibrated in Aiden's hand but it wasn't able to leave his hold.

“From a man to man, I'd advise you to change your attitude,” Aiden said, though there wasn't any hint of condescendence in his tone. “It makes you seem like a fish. You know, the kind that's held in a very small well. Confidence is a good thing—just look at me— but overconfidence?” he shook his head while dangling his index finger from side to side. “Leave that to the kids.”

The prickling sensation left Rin's neck as four black spheres headed straight for Aiden. The man simply laughed. As though they were just some flyes in his way, he swatted all of the projectiles away with one fast movement, using the black knife no less. He didn't even seem to have applied that much strength, yet, all of the spheres got blown meters away.

Kein frowned. The knife in Aiden's hand turned liquid and then returned to its original form before flinging to his head. The distance was short so it didn't get enough speed. Aiden easily caught it. With a smirk, he threw it straight towards the noble with a speed Kein had never managed. It hit the Noble's forehead, making him stumble back.

Aiden laughed some more.

“Stop playing around,” Law said at his side.

“Oh come on,” Aiden said, tapping his—friend?'s shoulder. “The angrier he is, the more fun it'll become for me. I've heard that strong emotion sometimes makes you stronger. I'm sure that applies to him as well, he's a Noble after all.”

“You—!” Blood dripping down from his forehead, Kein barred his teeth at Aiden.

Every five of his sphere flew at his side, spinning angrily around him. This might have been the first time Rin saw her cousin being this angry. He was playing right into the Fallen's game, and that might have been bad. Could Kein win against the man? She contemplated whether she should help him and what she could do in the first place. Showing her power in front of Sophia and Celia was one thing but, in front of a family member...

Could she afford to not intervene, though? The rising figure of the abomination crushed her hopes and, what's more, there was still Law to think about.

Aiden's eyes subtly shifted in her direction.

Stop playin—” Law repeated, drawing away from the impending battle.

All of the spheres melted mid-air and transformed into blades.

“Yeah, yeah, Killjoy,” Aiden simply waved at the other man. “It's about time, anyway,”

Goosebumps washed over Rin's body. She felt something inside her react to whatever Aiden was doing to make his body glow for a fraction of a second. She blinked and Kein was already clutching his stomach, his expression distorting in pain. All of the black spheres fell limply as Aiden smashed the noble's head on the ground.

Rin's body moved before she knew it, biting her lips as she glared at Aiden. The man didn't even glance at her as threw one of the spheres—that he had somehow already taken— in her direction. She stopped in her track and avoided it by ducking back but by the time she returned her eyes to the man, Kein was already sent flying through the wall and roof of a building and up in the air.

That she could see the huddled figure of two terrified kids inside said house cut off her last remaining hesitation. She punched Aiden with no hold barred, destroying even a chunk of the ground behind the man. Aiden blocked it with his forearm, a wide grin on his face. This fight could end in seconds if the man willed it— and that was not only because he could take back Rin's power— but, considering his personality...

“That's right,” Aiden said. “Now I want to play with you.”

Hopefully, Rin had a chance to win.

There goes my backlog.

I feel like this one was a little rushed, too, but, hope you enjoyed it nonetheless.

10