3 They Know
456 7 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The heroic dungeon contemplates his plans for future near and far, long into the night. In the meanwhile, major events are spurred into motion in distant lands.

¤¤¤¤¤

In the dawn's shadows of a grand tree well over 700 meters tall lies a verdant palace seemingly carved from a single piece of wood. Yet to anyone who is well-versed in wood-grains, it is obvious that there are at least seven different species represented in this magnificent structure. Still, there are no seams to mar its beauty. However to those who know of it, it is the single greatest feat of nature enchanters in all history..

The Living Palace.

A messenger in the robes of a ranking member of the astrologers' guild rushes to the gates.

"I have urgent news for her Imperial Majesty."

Recognizing him, the guards allow him inside, with one of them as escort.

"Come with me, Lord Efan'Thanil."

"Thank you Vetti."

Upon entering the bright and elegant throne room, the wizened elf immediately falls to one knee. His wrists crossing in front of his chest in salute. As demanded by protocol. While he kneels at the doors, the guard makes her way to a Minister. A few hushed words later, he then announces the astrologer's presence.

The Empress looks up from her discussion with a leader of the agriculture guild.

"You may rise, my friend Thanil."

"Thank you, my Empress." He finally lifts his gaze to the figure seated on the throne. "I bring great and terrible news.
The Golden Comet has been sighted!"

¤¤¤¤¤

Elsewhere, within this same continent. Four mountain peaks in a line from east to west lie to the north. A fifth lone peak shorter than the others, but still wider, sits to the southwest.

This outlines a wide fertile plain known as The Hand of God.

In the center of this land, a series of low rocky hills march to match the fingers (mountains).

In the center of these hills, a massive fortress rises proudly above the heavily populated farmland.

And in the center of this fortress stands an extremely well decorated, ornate stone palace.

Within this palace's throne room, the dwarven Chancillor Kroxnor Mythrilaxe IX is having a similar discussion.1I used the stereotypical "heavy scottish brogue accent" = "dwarven accent" but only for the emperor. His minister is required by their protocol to clearly enunciate. This keeps the riff-raff from wanting the job. *Also note I will never claim to be good with a scottish accent.

"Tha Gold'n Comet!? Tha only shows isself en a new Hero's bern."2The Golden Comet!? That only shows itself when a new Hero is born.

"Lord Chancillor, according to the records, the Hero is born when the Comet eclipses the white moon."

"An you jus sight it en tha las night?"3And you just sighted it in this last night?

"Lord Chancillor, that is correct."

"En ho long til e's appear'n?"4And how long until he appears?

"Lord Chancillor, it will happen in six months. No more."

"Ah ken tha prolem iz tha th'only need we haf fer a Hero iz tha Demon King. Ho long ya ken?"5I know the problem is that the only need we have for a Hero is the Demon King. How long do you believe?

"Lord Chancillor, the records vary on this point. But never less than twenty years. And never more than thirty."

¤¤¤¤¤

On the northern continent, in one of the many human kingdoms' capitols. Yet another such conversation continues . . In the Royal bedchambers.

"From twenty years to thirty. And it will be on the beasts' savage continent this time. I'll be too old by then. Let me think for a moment."

. .

"Pirium, fetch me two of your scribes. Post-haste."

The State Minister, having been ordered to ignore protocol in favor of working more quickly, nodded his head and left the room in as close to a run as his portly body was able.

He returned a few minutes later with two shaven headed young men. They were wearing livery showing a quill, a scroll and an inkpot.

"I have two decrees to be sent out today. First: The next Hero will be born upon the western continent when The Golden Comet eclipses the White Moon. In no more than six months later than this date. Whoever finds him and brings him to me will be granted a promotion to Lordship, to be inherited by his descendants. Whichever common man will become a Viscount. Whichever lesser Lord, up to Baron, will be promoted to Count. A Viscount or Count will be made a Marquis. A Marquis made a Duke. And finally, A Duke will marry his family to mine own."

"Use the usual flowery language on all that, and send a copy to every city and township for the criers to read out. Put extra importance on the towns in the beasts' continent. And another copy to each of the Lords' houses."

"Now for the second decree: The inheritance of my throne will be decided on one point only. Military prowess. Each of my sons will join a mercenary company. They will compete for jobs and battlefield valor. Whoever proves himself the best commander within twenty years from this date will immediately inherit my crown. While I retire."

"Send a copy to each member of my family. As well as to each Duke, each Marquis, and each general."

The scribes bow low before rushing out to their workstations to complete the tasks. Leaving the King alone with his Minister and still-sleeping wife. The Minister, still a bit dazed by the importance of the news, asks for a clarification.

"Sire, if I may."

"You have a question? Yes, what is it?"

"Why a mercenary company? Would a brigade from the army not be a better choice?"

"It certainly would be a good choice. But not the better one. You may be well versed in running a city and a kingdom. But an army is a different beast altogether. If I lent them each a brigade, how would their men trust that they know how to lead? If I simply ordered conscripts to refill their ranks, how would their men be inspired? With a mercenary band, outside of my command, only those worthy of fighting rise up. Only those worthy of leading inspire. And only those worthy of commanding keep on succeeding."

"But they might be able to succeed anyway by relying on others to do their work."

"Did you see me fill out those scrolls just now? Being able to rely on others to delegate tasks is another important quality of a good leader. If someone's second is better than any of my sons, then whichever son can convince him to lead the army is best qualified as King in the coming Troubles."

And similar scenes play out in each of the other 17 human kingdoms.

¤¤¤¤¤

However on the western continent, a different type of discussion plays out. While it happens in many different places, each in their own way, they are remarkably similar. This is just one example.

"Chief, there's a powerful omen appeared amongst the stars tonight!"

"Show me."

The duo leaves the yurt to venture out past the edge of the camp. Away from the cooking fires, their feline eyes can see better into the night sky.

The shaman points up, toward due east. Saying "There, between The Hunter and The Dragon. A new star of the color gold has appeared."

. . .

The tiger tribe's chief flicked his tail back and forth while in deep thought.

. . "Five hundred years" says the shaman.

"What do you know of this?" The chief reluctantly turns his gaze from the stars to his advisor of the esoterics.

"My forebears have passed down a legend from the dawn of time. A Demon King will rise to wage war against all the races once every five hundred years. And a Hero will come to save us. The Golden Comet is the sign of the Hero's birth. And this time will it be on our continent."
The shaman flicked her ears back, in revulsion at a sudden thought. "But what if he's born among those vile, marauding humans?"

"We can only pray that that is not the case. But if he is among the Tribes, no matter which, then we must protect him from those thrice-damned slaver kingdoms." He stamped his paw into the ground for emphasis. Then also spat the distaste from his muzzle after mentioning their second most hated foes. "Until he can protect us in return."

¤¤¤¤¤

With fewer hours than it seems to have been, the dawn came outside of the dungeon's entrance.

[Okay, that's plans A through C. Should I start on D? Or try to find something to write with?]

[Oh, the sun's out. A new day means I can Modify again.] {Mod: Int +1} [Hmm, I'll figure out plan D later. Time to get to work.] {Map: Set opaque}

[Wait. . WHAT?]

With the map feature finally activated, he can see two locations. Neither all that large, the bigger one the size of a small house. But they were a great distance apart from each otter.

[OH, so that's where my other me is. It's a bit far to walk, and I don't even have legs. What if . .] {Tile: Assimilate: 'just outside entrance'}

 


Warning!
Unable to reach!


 

[What? Then how about-] {Tile: Assimilate: 'over there with my other body'}

 


Please choose:
Square, 3 meter 1 DP.
Square, 4 meter 2 DP.
Square, 5 meter 3 DP.
Square, 6 meter 4 DP.
Square, 7 meter 6 DP.
Square, 8 meter 8 DP.
. . .
Line, 10 meter 1 DP.
Line, 20 meter 2 DP.
Line, 30 meter 3 DP.
. . .


 

[Hmm. . the Square options are about 9 square meters per DP, rounded up to the nearest. Making 4 and 5 just a waste, unless to fill in a gap. For actually buying up everything, parallel Lines is more cost effective. Let's do that then] {Line, 10 meter}

The map's smaller section expands to an area the size of the sidewalk in front of a house.

 


Intruder Warning:
2 Intruders.
Income 3.1 DP per day.
.
One Intruder entered.
3 Intruders.
Income 3.9 DP per day.
.
One Intruder left.
2 Intruders.
Income 3.1 DP per day.
.
One Intruder entered.
3 Intruders.
Income 5.5 DP per day.


 

[That's already too annoying.] {HOW DO I TURN OFF INTRUDER ALERTS!?}

 


Intruder Warning Disabled.


 

{THANK YOU!} {Can I keep the income part displayed like the mini-map? And the current amount too.}

 


DP Income set to Mini Status.
Current DP set to Mini Status.


 

[Okay, it looks like I'm set to go with plan D now.]

13