Primal Stone Event – 07
36 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Part 1 - Planting Seeds

“So, how does everyone feel after what happened last night?”

Zen looked around at the dwarfs sitting nearby.

“After hearing the details from the victims and after watching how he tried to blow us all sky-high? His execution was perfectly justifiable.” Frost mage Acar said with a shrug and went back to eating his vegetable soup.

“Although I dislike Ubel I’ll admit that he had a point in wanting to root out such evil. But who am I to talk? I'm just a simple fisherman.” Mo casually added as he ripped into his rat jerky.

Zen rolled his eyes.

“I don’t think a normal fisherman can hit a mecha hard enough to make it fall over. But whatever. How about you two hunters? You've been under Ubel's command for a good while. Anything you wish to add?”

“He was irredeemable. I dislike how the whole operation was handled, but no one was injured or killed. On that note, I’d consider the mission a success and you can’t say much more than that.” Blink mumbled through a mouthful of rat jerky.

Joy nodded in Blink’s direction.

“I totally agree with Blink that the ambush was somewhat messy... we could’ve made the kill cleaner since he couldn’t use his magic. But...”

“But what?”

As Zen motioned for Joy to continue, the rest of the table stopped eating and put their attention on her.

Joy, flustered by their attention, turned red.

“Y-You all don’t need to stare at me...”

“Sorry.”

“My bad.”

“Don’t mind us, please speak your mind!”

The group apologized and urged her to keep talking.

“Ok, ok! I’ll talk!”

The table grew silent, setting the stage for Joy to begin speaking.

“So… I think one reason Ubel did the assassination the way he did was to display our power.”

“What?” Zen inquired, confused.

“This way he can show all the dwarfs, rat-kin, and fox-kin that no matter how strong they are, they can and will be killed if they step out of line. The powerhouses also showed their unity in killing such an evildoer, making us look quite stable to our new allies, the fox-kin. With one death Ubel accomplished Unity, Stabilization, and Security.”

“A-all through fear.” The busty Aqua broke into the conversation as she sat down with her food.

“Fear is a great motivator when there is nothing else stopping people from indulging in their desires.” Snorri followed up, making her presence known as she sat right next to Aqua, causing her to jump.

“S-Snorri?! W-what are you doing h-here?”

“Ya know, making the rounds, seeing how everyone is holding up after last night. That was some show Ubel set up. Man can be quite devious.”

Snorri put her arm around the fidgeting Aqua and scanned the now uncomfortable group at the table. Everyone was looking away from her. 

In the face of their blatant discomfort, she just smacked her lips and pointed a question at the group.

“Come on, don’t stop talking  just because I showed up. I caught most of what you guys talked about on the way over anyways. So please, Joy. Continue. I'm quite interested in your viewpoint. I promise I won’t bite, haha.”

Thrown for a loop, Joy stared at the newcomers before shaking her head to refocus and started to speak once more.

“Y-yes. A-As Aqua mentioned, Ubel accomplished his goals through the motivators of power and fear. And that makes me question... if he didn’t like one of us, would he do the same and make us into an example too? I mean Urist, Ubel, and a few of the older members hold a lot of power. What stops them from abusing their powers and killing anyone who defies them?”

Acar shrugged, “You’re worrying over nothing, there is no way Urist would allow such a thing. Unless another Agate shows up or Urist vanishes, we’ll be fine. ”

“Aye, my disci— I mean, our king would never allow such fiends to run rampant.”

“Having watched him these past few weeks, I can say he’s reliable, even if he’s still immature.”

Mo and Blink added on without much thought.

Zen then jumped in.

“What if he dies? What happens then?”

Snorri stirred her stew into a small whirlpool before downing it in one go.

“We just have to make sure he doesn’t die.”

Joy shook her head, “We can’t be sure of the future; that we'll always be able to protect him.”

“T-then what d-do you suggest?”

Aqua tried to pull Snorri’s arm off only for her hand to be slapped away by Snorri.

“I suggest that after this campaign we demand to institute a government, Urist’s successor, a rule of law, and a branch to enforce said laws. Only then can I rest at ease, knowing that no matter what we will have a voice in matters! That we can’t and won’t be snuffed out! Who's with me?!”

Snorri hit the table with her fist, filled with passion as she looked at the group of dwarfs around her who were putting on thoughtful expressions.

Mo scratched his chin in thought, “That does sound well and good, but who would write this rule of law?”

“What kind of government would it be?”

“How do we know that this branch made to enforce said law would continue to act in good faith?”

“Yah, and about Urist’s successor. Who could possibly take on that role?  Out of everyone here, he tries his hardest to keep pushing us forward. He takes time out of the day to meditate problems between the people, and he cares for those who are wounded and can no longer fight. I can’t think of anyone that has the same compassion.”

Blink snorted, feeling quite heated over the thought of someone being Urist’s substitution.

As the group became impassioned with the discussion with questions and answers flying left and right, Joy rose her hand. It took a bit, but the table caught on and gradually quieted. 

“I know it’s daunting to think about, but these things must be done sooner rather than later. If nothing is done then our civilization could be led to ruin. I just wanted to suggest that we all think about what we want and come back to this discussion with answers to those questions at a later date.”

The group exchanged glances before they all nodded in agreement, chewing over what Joy had said.

The meal finished soon after, and the dwarfs broke off into ones and twos as Aqua’s sister, Vesi, rescued her from Snorri’s clutches.

Joy was the last to leave. She walked about aimlessly, with no tasks to rush her steps.

Soon Ubel appeared and walked with her for a bit.

“Are the seeds planted?”

“Mission accomplished. Snorri was a big help.”

“Thanks for doing this. I can’t really get the ball rolling myself.”

“This is nothing compared to what you usually had me doing in war. Think nothing of it, Demon General of the West.”

 

Part 2 - Meditation

 

“What do you want me to do about it?”

Sage sat in her chair, looking over the report Ubel sent over as she asked the three sitting before her.

Virgo jumped to her feet, filled with anger. “That bastard rigged our clansman to explode and then treated them like heroes! Why are we letting him get away with that?!” She slammed her fist against the table as she stared straight into Sage's eyes, demanding an answer.

Sage looked at her and then at the two foxkin, Crux and Orion, that were quietly sitting next to her with their ears flat against their heads and flames raging inside their eyes. 

Sage heaved a sigh and opened a hidden compartment underneath her desk to pull out a slim stack of papers.

She slid the papers across the table.

“What is this?” Orion asked, confused at how calm Sage was acting. He had always known her to be someone who was quite hot-headed.

“Read them. Then you’ll understand the reason why we’re not making a move.”

Virgo took the papers, sat down, and began to read them with Crux and Orion staring over her shoulders.

Hey, Sage and Ubel said I should write this will in case I die haha. How could I, Skit, the greatest fox-kin to ever be born in the clan, die on a simple scouting mission? Still, you never know what can happen on the battlefield, right? Hell, I’ve been a hunter all my life. Who's to say I’ll make it back alive?

I guess the only reason I’d leave this is for my parents and Virgo... As long as she… No, I will make sure she returns. Then I’ll leave this letter to my beloved, who I never expressed my real feelings for. Yah, I like that. 

Virgo, if you’re reading this, sorry. I didn’t come back with you. Hopefully I died in a cool way and not in a pitiful manner. I’ve been told by Ubel that once this battle is over, I can be brought back to life. So if I have to brave death for us to advance, then I’m fine with dying. 

As long as I can protect you, it’s all worth it. When I come back I’ll give you a proper proposal by hunting the largest prey I can find for you! But for now, I know it’s a little cowardly, but I want to say it in this will.

I love you, Virgo.

Sincerely, the best in the village, Skit.

Crux whistled, “I knew that he liked you, but for it to be this bad? Damn, what a warrior. He shouldn’t have had to die like tha—”

Drip, drip, drip.

Tears fell from Virgo's eyes. Her hands shook and crumpled the papers Skit's will was written on, but she was too overcome to notice. As her emotions took control, Virgo began to dry heave

“Hey, hey now! Are you ok Virgo?!”

The large boy, Crux, touched her shoulder worriedly.

Orion, who had been in a daze over the revelation, was shocked back to reality by Crux’s voice. 

“Is this real? He’ll be able to come back to life?”

“You didn’t hear? Have you all been in a hole since coming back from the operation? Ubel told everyone here that the dead can come back after this ‘event.’ In fact, what’s your excuse for your ignorance, Orion?” Sage scoffed as she looked at them in surprise before rolling her eyes at Orion.

“Been in a coma since this morning, Chieftain.” Orion gave a deadpan response.

“I’ve been closed up in my room reflecting on the mission...” Crux whispered as he scratched his cheek in embarrassment. 

“Is this the truth? He can come back?” Virgo asked as she glanced up with trembling hands, her eyes filled with hope.

“Yes, or at least that’s what Ubel says. But it’s no guarantee. Apparently we have to win this war to have enough points to bring them back, and even then they might not have enough for everyone.”

“How can you trust that devil's words?!”

“Urist confirmed it, and since he was chosen by our God I ‘have’ to trust his words.”

“And if he’s lying?” Orion asked.

“We’ll kill Ubel, and figure out what to do with Urist when that time comes. Is that all you three wanted to ask?”

Sage simply stated.

Wiping the tears from her cheeks, Virgo’s eyes gradually became focused.

“So that Skirt can come back to life... I will prepare myself and do my best in the upcoming battle!”

“Heh, if you're fired up then I won’t hold back as well.” Crux slapped Virgo’s back as he roared with laughter.

“Since the doctors have discharged me from the hospital, I shall be joining the battle as well.”

Orion, pumping himself up, added.

“Good! Now get out of here, I still have to go over the final plans Ubel sent me.” 

Sage waved the three off and picked up her cup only to notice that it was empty. She turned and yelled towards the back room.

“Eins! More tea!”

“Coming right up.”

A cute rat-kin boy quickly trotted out of the back room with a small pot in his hands and filled Sage’s cup with tea.

The three fox-kin arched a brow at seeing the rat-kin reduced to a mere servant. They had seen rat-kin in battle before, and they were fierce warriors despite looking so cute and harmless. They never expected one of those powerful fighters to be lowered to the point of serving tea, even if it was for their acting chieftain.

Noticing how they looked the rat-kin up and down, Sage grew agitated, “What? Urist lent him to me as a show of good faith. I’m just using him to brew the tea, so get lost all of you!”

The three quickly left the house to avoid their Chieftain's anger and reignited their determination.

I will fight for you, Skit. I promise to bring you back. Virgo clenched her fists with newfound strength and headed out to prepare for battle.

***

A little while later, a knock sounded on Sage's door.

“Eins! Go get the door, I'm busy.”

“As you wish.”

Ein walked out of the back room and headed over to the entrance. He opened the door only to see the cool beauty Sel standing on the other side.

 “I have a message for Sage.”

“Come in.”

Eins got out of the way, and Sel walked over to stand in front of Sage.

“Sit down.”

Sage demanded, and Sel obliged.

“Speak.”

“I have come with a message from Commander Ubel. We will start the march to the outposts in the afternoon and set up for the night. Then we shall attack tomorrow, two hours before midday. He also wished to thank you for the scouts you supplied. With them by our side we were able to quickly check the forts we have yet to capture. With their information we are positive that we will not be flanked without warning.”

“Is that all?”

“No. He wished to ask how you dealt with your people.”

“They are pacified for now, but you tell Ubel that he better keep his word or only death awaits him.”

“Understood. I’ll be sure to relay your message back to Commander Ubel.”

“Is that all?”

“Yes.”

“Then you may leave.”

Sel stood and gave a quick bow before she walked out of the house.

Sage mulled over her thoughts as the door closed.

So tomorrow is the big day then. I almost thought the day would never come. Wait for me Mama, I will rescue you no matter what.

2