Scene 3: Mephistopheles 1
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scene 3: Mephistopheles 1

(Back in JACOB’s study. JACOB is sleeping on his desk)

 

JACOB: Elizabeth! 

 

(JACOB jolts awake as multiple alarms go off simultaneously in the room. Each of them is out of sync. Panicked JACOB runs over to a covered door frame. He gently touches it as he speaks)

 

JACOB: This is all wrong. I thought I had more time! I’m so close to finding you, Elizabeth. So close to finding you and leaving this endless nightmare forever. But I did it! I know where the Raven is, I just need to get to the Tower before the Descendants can find me. I swear to you I won't let this be like last time. I promise, I …. I just need more time. Once I’ve found you and take that parasite from your body we can be together again! I miss you so much Elizabeth. The last twenty years have been so difficult without you. I’m so tired. I just need to do one last thing before we can rest. 

 

(As JACOB speaks EMILY comes up from behind him and hugs him)

 

EMILY: (In the guise of ELIZABETH) I know, my love. And I’ll continue to wait for you and send you strength. 

 

JACOB: I’m sorry. I’m so sorry Elizabeth. I’m doing everything I can to escape this prison, but the seals are too strong for me. 

 

EMILY: Oh, my poor Jacob! (EMILY begins to switch into a more sinister personality) Making excuses like always? I would have thought you learned your lesson after you let me die!

 

JACOB: What?

 

EMILY: You heard me! You didn’t listen to me when you had the chance, and when I died because of it, you blamed everyone but yourself, like the bastard you are!

 

JACOB: Let go of me! (JACOB throws EMILY off) Emily! What are you doing out here? I told you I don’t want you out of your room at night!

 

EMILY: I just wanted to have a bit of fun with you. You always take my jokes so seriously father. 

 

JACOB: Don’t call me that! You’re no daughter of mine! Wait a minute. What are you …? What are you doing wearing her clothes? I thought I told you never to go in her room!

 

EMILY: I just wanted to know what mother looked like. You know, before you killed her!

 

JACOB: How dare you! You know nothing about her death! Know nothing about her! Get out of here! Get! Don’t make me say it again you monster of a child. So, help me if I catch you out of your room again, I’ll lock you in and throw away the key!

 

EMILY: Suit yourself, father (EMILY exits into her room STAGE LEFT)

 

(JACOB walks over to his desk and grabs a drink as he sits. While he drinks, he stares at EMILY’s room)

 

JACOB: Born her spitting image, yet she’s worse than any demon I’ve had to face. If I don’t find a way out of here soon, she’ll kill me before I can throw her back from the pit she came from. (JACOB briefly glances at his watch) Is it that time already? Alright then, Chronos, if you can hear me, I’m counting on you. Please, for once, be on time. Five. Four. Three

 

(JACOB is cut off by the sound of a cuckoo clock. After several seconds more alarms join in. They are even more out of sync)

 

JACOB: By the will of the Creators, please! (A few beats) (JACOB runs to the offstage door) Come on! Knock damn you knock!

 

(After a couple more moments there is a heavy knock on the door. Without hesitation JACOB let’s the person in and rushes them to his desk)

 

JACOB: Come on in M! Don’t mind the mess. I wasn’t expecting company tonight.

 

MEPHISTOPHELES 1: Are you ok Jacob? You seem a little, jumpy.

 

JACOB: (As M1 sits, JACOB lets out a sigh of relief) Everything’s fine M. You know how I can be when people arrive unannounced. Especially when said unannounced person hasn’t come to visit in twenty years!

 

M1: Has it been that long already? By the Gods, time does go by quickly. I swear I’d miss the next couple millennium if I didn’t check up on my children from time to time. I’ve missed you, old friend. 

 

JACOB: As have I (Calm now, JACOB and M1 take the time to reconnect with a brief, but firm hug) Time seems to pass by slower every day for me. After that mess at the graveyard.

 

M1: Jacob, that wasn’t your fault. You couldn’t possibly have known Elizabeth would show up when she did. With how badly she begged for you not to go, her being there was the last thought on anyone’s mind. 

JACOB: That doesn’t stop my mind from wondering back there, M. I dreamt of it even just today. I.… I’m not sure that I’ll ever be able to stop going back M. Not until I can find a way to stop it from ever happening. Until I can find a way to bring Elizabeth back. The real Elizabeth.

 

M1: That’s the problem with you Authors. You get so wrapped up with analyzing the lives of others that you think you can fix your own lives. That you can somehow reach out and change the strands enough to make all your problems go away. But that isn’t the case. We’re all wound by the same strands. Michael should have taught you that. You can’t change the past. No one, Descendant, god or otherwise has the power to do that. Emily should have been enough to show you that.

 

JACOB: I know M, I really do. I just can’t help myself. We were so close back then. Maybe we could have done it, you, and I, given enough time. To reach across fate itself and pull back what we wanted. To finish my machine, and really help to heal the world. But without her, M, there’s nothing left for me. All I do is reach out for the strands and relive the moments we had together.

 

M1: That gift you have there has always been a curse for you, even from the start. You know, it’s funny. What with there being nothing for you here. Jacob, I want you to come back with me. I want you to come work with me like old times. We need you.

 

(JACOB goes to reach out for another drink before quickly placing it back down. In a moment he goes from warm and open, to cold and isolated)

 

JACOB: The answer is no! M, I don’t blame you for Elizabeth’s death, but it was your job. I told you I was out after it happened, and I stand by that now. My work with you is over.

 

M1: Think about it! You could actually do something with your life! You could help people again! What good have you done being holed up in this cabin doing jack all for Michael and his religious cult? They won't even let you use your gifts to help those in need! They just sit around waiting for another war to start before they get off their assess and do something!

 

JACOB: M, please. Michael took me in after I left, and working for the Descendants was the least I could do to repay him. To repay the world for the crimes that I’ve committed. 

 

M1: That’s real grand given that you and I both know why he decided to bestow his infinite “charity” on you instead of gutting you like a pig. He’s a selfish prick that wants nothing more than to exploit your gifts for his corrupted order. 

 

JACOB: And you and I both know Michael isn’t the only reason I took this job out here alone where no one could get hurt by us. You and I both know damned well! (JACOB points at Emily’s room)

 

M1: Don’t you dare blame her for your choices Jacob! You got on your knees, and you begged me to bring Elizabeth back after you killed her! It’s not the child’s fault that your stupid little “Miracle Machine” failed to bring back the right Elizabeth because you were too weak to guide it!

 

JACOB: I said I’m not going!

 

M1: And I’m not asking! (M grabs JACOBs left arm and forces it upright revealing a black brand engraved into his palm) You made a contract with me for that girl, and now your time is up! You had twenty years Jacob, now you and the child must come with me.

 

JACOB: No, we will not! I have until that moon reaches its apex before my time is up. We will not go a moment before!

 

M1: Jacob you fool! Always thinking you can outrun fate. Use your Author’s eyes and look around you. All paths lead toward the Tower, and as the moon glides across the night sky, the convergence only draws closer. You and the girl will come with me whether you like it or not. You will come with me and take your place as his unholy manifestation, and the girl will ride as the Queen of Monsters, leading the rest of the Horsemen as we siege the Tower and burn it to the ground. That is your destiny.

JACOB: Not if I warn Michael and the others. Not if we can fight you off!

 

M1: Don’t make me laugh! Do you think Michael will ever believe you? After everything that you’ve done? You’re the reason they’re struggling with the natural balance between the living and the dead after all. You’re the reason they can’t find any newborn Descendants across the realm. And after you disobeyed his direct orders and went into the Tower yourself, you hid from him! That’s right Jacob, I know all about your little trip into the dream realm to visit the Tower! How you tried to disappear so you could work toward your goals in the shadows, unseen by all. Did you think you could hide from me? Michael may not have been able to track you down, but I can see right through the charms you wear to stay hidden. (M1 throws open JACOBS jacket and grabs the charmed necklace) You should have known better than to hide from me. You want to tell Michael so badly about the Tower? Then tell him (M rips the necklace off JACOB and throws it to the floor) We’ll see just how understanding he really is. I’ll be back soon. It’s about time for me and the others to welcome the Raven home.

 

JACOB: Please M, wait! (JACOB fumbles round on the floor trying to collect the charms)

 

(BLACKOUT)

0