Scene 5: The Gunslinger Graveyard
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scene 5: The Gunslinger Graveyard 

(A vast desert filled with many large stones and boulder)

 

(JACOB is alone at one end of the stage. He holds a pocket watch, which he nervously checks from time to time. He paces back and forth as he waits, before sitting down on a larger boulder after a few moments and begins fiddling with his watch)

 

RALATHOR: (RALATHOR enters from the opposite side) You ok there, son? Something wrong?

 

JACOB: I’m… I’m fine. Just waiting for someone. We have business.

 

RALATHOR: Well, if you’re meeting at a specific time, I’m afraid that device won't do you any good. Time does funny things in this graveyard 

 

JACOB: Graveyard? It’s just a big pile of sand and some rocks.

 

RALATHOR: You’re meeting someone, and you don’t know anything about the place you’re supposed to meet up at? Each of those stones is a tombstone hand carved in remembrance of every person that was killed here. They go on for miles before they disappear. 

 

JACOB: (JACOB quickly stands from his spot and flinches away) Look, this is my first time doing something like this, ok? I’m just doing what I was told to do. I don’t even want to be here.

 

RALATHOR: That seems pretty foolish, boy. Mephistopheles is usually more careful about choosing members of his flock. (RALATHOR takes a moment) Well he must have had a good reason for sending you to do his dirty work. That man plans even the smallest detail down to the last detail!

 

JACOB: How do you know about M? I haven’t even told you why I’m here.

 

RALATHOR: Yes, I know it was him who sent you. No one else could possibly know where I am. I can’t believe you didn’t even bother to get information about the person you’re meeting. Is there anything you do know about this meeting?

 

JACOB: He just told me what he wanted done. I didn’t ask anything else. 

 

RALATHOR: You’re either brave, or stupid to come here and face me without being aware of the implications. If the circumstances were any different, I assure you that you would have been dead long before I arrived. I advise you to do your research next time. Do you understand?

 

JACOB: Yes, sir.

 

RALATHOR: And grow a backbone while you’re at it. This isn’t work for the weak willed, boy. I take it you at least understand what your job is?

 

JACOB: Yes.

 

RALATHOR: Then get on with it. We don’t have all day.

 

JACOB: Get on with it? What do you mean?

 

RALATHOR: I mean stand up, take out your weapon and strike me dead boy!

 

JACOB: You’re gonna just let me do it? Aren’t you gonna fight back?

 

RALATHOR: I told you, if I wanted you dead, you would be dead. Didn’t he tell you I wouldn’t resist?

 

JACOB: He mentioned it, but I didn’t believe it. Who in their right mind would let themselves be killed?

 

RALATHOR: Only those with the soundest mind can look their enemy dead in the eye as they let them snuff out their light. And besides, even if I did decide to fight back, with Mephistopheles there are always

 

JACOB/RALATHOR: Contingencies. 

 

RALATHOR: Details on top of details. I suspected he might come for me one day, especially so close to the Convergence. The remnants of the Old Gods only serve to get in the way of his plans, so I took the liberty of putting my affairs in order so that today might be relatively clean for the both of us. That man is a devil outside of time. Hiding is futile.

 

JACOB: But why does he want you dead?

 

RALATHOR: Now you’re finally asking questions! Good, you’re learning! He wants me dead because I am the only one who knows his dirty, little secret.

 

JACOB: And that is?

 

RALATHOR: I’d rather not risk spoiling the punchline. There’s too much at stake here. Besides, we’ve done enough small talk, Jacob. Its time.

 

JACOB: But… but you could just run. You could live if you wanted to.

 

RALATHOR: There’s no more running away for me, son.

 

JACOB: But. I don’t think I can kill you. I’m not strong enough.

 

RALATHOR: (RALATHOR laughs) So that’s why you didn’t dig for information! You didn’t want to legitimize this gruesome task, didn’t want to make it real before it happened. You wanted it to be quick and clean, and instead we had this wonderful conversation.

 

JACOB: I don’t want to kill you.

 

RALATHOR: Jacob, I’ve been walking this diseased and fractured Tapestry for a long time. Longer than most of the now dead Gods and Giants. I’m tired, and my purpose will be fulfilled here, any minute now. Even as we speak, the ink of my book is drying in the deepest vaults of the Citadel. If you can’t kill me for your master, do it for an old man looking to get some rest for the first time in his life.

 

JACOB: Ok… I’ll… I’ll do it. (JACOB pulls out his gun and aims at RALATHOR)

 

RALATHOR: Thank you (As JACOB fires, ELIZABETH runs out onto the stage between JACOB and RALATHOR)

 

ELIZABETH: Jacob, wait! (ELIZABETH is struck by the bullet and falls to the floor)

 

JACOB/RALATHOR: Elizabeth, no! (RALATHOR runs over to ELIZABETH)

 

RALATHOR: Elizabeth, you stupid girl, do you have any idea what you’ve done!

 

ELIZABETH: I’m… I’m sorry daddy. I… I was just doing what you told me to do in the letters.

 

RALATHOR: Letters? What letters? I never sent anything to (RALATHOR realizes what has happened) oh god what have I done?

 

ELIZABETH: It’s ok daddy… I’m… I’m with here with you now. I’m here. I’ve missed you so much. I’m sorry that I have to leave you again so soon.

 

RALATHOR: No! Elizabeth! I’ll get you out of here, please just hold on for me Flower.

 

ELIZABETH: I… I can’t. I can hear them daddy. The angels are calling for me. They sing so sweetly. Daddy they all… they all look just like me.

 

RALATHOR: Please Elizabeth, I just need more time.

 

ELIZABETH: I… I have to go daddy. I still have work to do. We all do. I love you so much. It’s funny, I thought I would be the one meeting you at that place, instead of the other way around. When the Raven’s nest burns to ash, I’ll meet … you… …at … … …Elysium (ELIZABETH dies)

 

RALATHOR: Elizabeth, no! 

 

(JACOB stands up from his spot, breaking out from his state of shock. He is filled with anger and pain. He isn’t that same nervous child anymore)

 

JACOB: What did you do! What did you do to her!

 

RALATHOR: Jacob, please I didn’t do anything I swear!

 

JACOB: Liar! You’re just like him! There are always contingencies aren’t there?

 

RALATHOR: Jacob listen to me; this is not my doing. Things have changed. We both need to get out of here before….

 

JACOB: No! M was right. I should have just killed you! (The earth begins to shake as JACOB’s pain and anger grow) She was everything to me, and you killed her!

 

RALATHOR: Jacob, wait … 

 

(With an intense cry of grief, JACOB falls to the floor as the world collapses around him)

 

(A thunderstorm transitions us into scene 6)

0