Scene 11: The Elysium Paradox
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scene 11: The Elysium Paradox 

(Outside of RALATHOR and ELIZABETH’s home)

 

(Ralathor stands alone in the snow, just outside of his home. He takes one finally look before Turing to walk away. He makes it a few steps before…)

 

ELIZABETH: Daddy wait! Where are you going?

 

RALATHOR: I’m off to work silly! (RALATHOR kneels to ELIZABETH) Remember how we talked about that last night?

 

ELIZABETH: Yeah, but you left so early. I almost missed you. And you forgot Jack! (ELIZABETH pulls out a small, worn out stuffed animal dressed up like a pirate)

 

RALATHOR: Not Jack! Oh, I knew something didn’t feel right. Thank you, sweetie. If it wasn’t for you, I don’t think I could find my way around the back yard. I’m gonna miss you. I’m gonna miss you more than anything else in the whole universe.

 

ELIZABETH: Then why didn’t you say goodbye, daddy? (ELIZABETH begins to tear up)

 

RALATHOR: I’m sorry honey, I was just trying to… I was trying to keep us both from hurting too much before I left. When we had to say goodbye to your mother there was just so much pain there. I couldn’t bear to do that to you again. I should have known better though. You’re stronger than me after all. You’re all grown up (JACOB gives ELIZABETH a tight hug, so tight that he doesn’t want to let her go again. He wants so desperately to stay. The hug is broken by ELIZABETH)

 

ELIZABETH: You aren’t coming back this time?

 

RALATHOR: I don’t think so. There’s a lot of bad things coming Elizabeth, things that I want to take care of now before they can ever get you.

 

ELIZABETH: Will I ever see you again daddy? 

 

RALATHOR: Not in this lifetime, Flower. 

 

ELIZABETH: (ELIZABETH throws her arms around JACOB and starts to cry) Please daddy don’t go! I know I said I would be fine, but I can’t. I just can’t. I need you

 

RALATHOR: No Elizabeth, I’m the one who needs you. The world needs you. (RALATHOR gently grabs ELIZABETH’s shoulders and looks her in the eyes) I need you to be strong for me now, ok? Like you were when mom went away. While I’m gone you’ve gotta keep watch over the ruins because I won’t be able to anymore. You’re my big girl, right?

 

ELIZABETH: Yeah

 

RALATHOR: Good! You have no idea how much the world’s gonna need your magic honey. You’re going to grow up and do wonderful things, I just know it. And if you try and do your best to make the world a better place, I know in my heart that we’ll see each other again!

 

ELIZABETH: When?

 

RALATHOR: (RALATHOR begins to tease ELIZABETH, trying to lighten the mood) Oh, I don’t know if I can tell you now. 

 

ELIZABETH: Please daddy! I need to know!

 

RALATHOR: Ok, if you think you’re brave enough. But I need you to come closer!

 

ELIZABETH: Here?

 

RALATHOR: Closer! (As ELIZABETH leans in closer, RALATHOR grabs her and begins to tickle her)

 

ELIZABETH: Stop it! Please! I’m gonna die! (RALATHOR teases her for a few more moments before giving up on his assault. While ELIZABETH is still settling down from the laughter, she begins to yawn, tired out from all of the emotions and the playing. RALATHOR leans into her)

 

RALATHOR: When everything is finished, I’ll meet you with your mom where all the prettiest and strongest angels go. (ELIZABETH struggles to keep her eyes open) I’ll meet you at the Elysium Fields. (RALATHOR gives ELIZABETH a small kiss on her forehead) I love you so much Elizabeth.

 

ELIZABETH: I love you too daddy. 

 

(RALATHOR stands up and begins to walk away as ELIZABETH drifts off to sleep. Before he is completely offstage, he stops and turns back toward her)

 

RALATHOR: One last thing that I need you to do for me. In a few days a boy will find his way lost in our woods. He will be injured, and his heart will be muddled and confused. I need you to do your very best to take care of him for me ok?

 

(ELIZABETH has already fallen asleep by the time RALATHOR finishes, but he knows that in her heart she heard him. RALATHOR takes one last look at ELIZABETH and his home. He smiles as he places JACK into his breast pocket before disappearing into the morning sun.)

 

(As ELIZABETH sleeps, a letter falls next to her. The following is narrated my RALATHOR as the lights dim slowly)

 

RALATHOR: Dear Elizabeth, I write to you with great hesitation. It seems like the many lifetimes that I’ve spent trying to prevent this night from occurring were in vain. A great calamity is about to befall our realm, a cataclysm that will finally mark the end of the book of man, and you are the only one who can prevent it.

 

END

0