Chapter 5
87 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Heyo, It's me again, Sorry for not uploading for the last few days. Major headache kept me from focusing on writing for more than a few minutes at a time. Mix that in with a minor writer's block? Slow update.

Chapter Start 

I wonder, when was the last time I woke up with such a headache? It feels like someone bashed me over the head with a brick or three. That's ignoring the rest of my body, which feels like I've been beaten black and blue for a week.

"Hey, ouch, Yuki? What happened, ouch, why am I hurting, ouch, so badly?"(Neve)

[You fell unconscious due to the pain the rats and bunnies caused and almost bled out, and those injuries are still healing. There's also the fact that you have unlocked a <System Function> that is directly tied with your body so it is trying to adjust. Well, I call it a <System Function> but it's closer to a "perk" you would get in a video game.]

"What does it, ouch, do? I hope it's somewhat, ouch, useful."(Neve)

[It's called <Flawless Body(Lesser)>. All it does is give a minor resistance to illness, poisons and prevents injuries from leaving scars. It also removed any scars you had before you obtained it. In other words, it just generally improves your body's function. It has a side effect of making you look better as well.]

"Why is it labled lesser? I mean, I understand what it's implying, but does that mean I can upgrade it at some point?"(Neve)

[Correct, it's possible to improve it later. However, we can't do it yet as it would be too risky.]

"Ah, I see."(Neve)

Risky. That describes a lot of what I've been doing. I haven't been anywhere near careful enough for a dungeon full of monsters. I'll be a lot more careful from this point forward. This is already my second chance, and I likely won't get a third.

---------------------------------------------------------

"Huh, these rations are surprisingly tasty. I like it. Anyways, I'm all out of points, yes?"(Neve)

[Correct, you are completely out of points.]

Hmm. I'm going to have to hunt more rats so I can afford more of this food. I'll also need supplies, lot's of them. I'll sit around this floor a bit more to both farm points and practice with my new weapons. AH! I can also try practicing with poisons! I'll need to start with a weak one so I don't kill myself by accident though.

I decided to start with getting used to my new weapon. I don't want to do something stupid like I did originally and risk getting hurt due to attacking purely on instinct. I open my inventory and pull out a beautiful silvery green rapier. I swung it about a bit, getting used to its weight before practicing slashes and stabs until I was confident I could use it without truly embarrassing myself. 

I also noticed during this that I am finally feeling like this is truly my body. I can properly move how I want with little issue, and feel very light on my feet. Finally, for a few minutes before I move on from this room, I practice using a rapier in my mainhand with a dagger in my offhand. 

"It's a shame I don't have any weak poisons I can practice with yet. How much does the weakest poison in the store cost?"(Neve)

[It costs 20 points per vial for the absolutely weakest available poison.]

"Roughly how effective is it? I'd rather not die due to poisoning myself."(Neve)

[A healthy child would be able to resist it with little trouble.]

"So new goal, save enough points for both good food and a couple of vials of poison so I can practice."(Neve)

---------------------------------------------------------

I killed ten rats and two rabbits in the span of three hours. To prevent the previous disaster from happening again, I killed them by throwing my dagger before rushing up and stabbing it with my other dagger. I never pulled out my rapier, mainly because I used my mainhand to throw and that's the hand I hold the rapier in.

However, I have come across the first victim of my new weapon. It is a single rabbit with an extremely pointy horn on its head. It's currently lightly sleeping in the middle of the dim room. I fail to quietly attempt to approach without waking it up. 

As it starts to wake, I throw away any attempt of a quiet approach, rushing forward and stabbing towards it with my new rapier and slashing with my dagger, landing a shallow blow with my rapier against its front leg before taking a few steps back.

It rushes forward, thrusting it's horn towards my stomach, leaving both a light gash in my side and an opening as I side step to avoid it. I immediately use the opening it made to stab towards it, piercing it's throat and killing it once and for all. 

"Ooh, this one has a horn! I wonder if it will sell for more!"(Neve)

[It likely will. If you learn to dismantle it first, you can earn even more points though.]

"... Wait, that's true. I still have the rabbit bodies, yes? I never sold any of the bodies from today?"(Neve)

[Yes, and?]

"This horned rabbit has mostly the same anatomy, yes? I'll practice on those first rabbits so I can earn a lot more points!"(Neve)

[Go right ahead. You can also dismantle the rats as well. You didn't sell today's rats either.]

"Yes! Thank you! I can get more food and practice!"(Neve)

---------------------------------------------------------

I struggled. A lot. Even with Yuki's instructions I wasted seven rat bodies before I was able to do one decently. After that, I started to get the hang of it and managed to properly dismantle the rest. I decided to keep the meat of one rabbit and the horn of the horned rabbit, or almiraj according to Yuki, and sell the rest. 

I earned one point each for the ruined rat bodies which was the same as before, one point for each non-ruined rat meat, one point for each non-ruined rat pelts two points per rabbit pelt, an extra two points for their meat, finally five points for the almiraj hide, and am extra five points for it's meat. This was for a grand total of thirty seven points.

"That was… satisfying? Fun? Enjoyable? I don't know how to describe that. I liked it though."(Neve)

[That's good. As you're likely going to be doing that a lot in the future.]

Nice, this was relaxing so I guess I have a new way to relax. I can probably make a career out of this depending on the world as well. I should try cooking it later as well. I hope it's just as relaxing as this part was.

"How many doses per purchase is that weak poison?"(Neve)

[Ten doses per purchase. Most don't have that many but this one is cheap, weak, and possible for common people to accidentally make.]

"I see, can you go ahead and buy it for me then? I need to practice applying it to my weapon without afflicting myself before I start practicing using any poison in any combat capacity."(Neve)

[Why do you want to use poison anyways? Most people like knights much more.]

"Because poison is cool! You can kill, cripple, harm, torture and more with moderate ease! An assassin sneaking around poisoning people is much cooler than a knight in shining armor who's unwilling to get his precious little hands dirty because its 'unhonorable'." I said with as much disdain towards knights as possible.

[You… really hate knights, don't you?"

"I don't hate knights. I hate certain kinds of knights. Like 'flawless' white knights, or pointlessly arrogant knights. Or any knight I've remembered meeting in this life, which is honestly not a lot but still counts. Most Knights… "(Neve)

Yuki stays silent at that. As I continued my rant about disliking knights, my hands weren't idle. I pulled out the vial of poison and poison guide I had and got to work. By the time my rant was over thirty minutes later, I had already become proficient enough with applying poison without poisoning myself.

"Hey Yuki, can you show me my status? It's been a bit since I've checked."(Neve)

[Here you go.]

---------------------------------------------------------

System Function: [Self Status]

---------------------------------------------------------

<General>

Name: Neve Mitternacht     

Class: U.Rogue 2

Race: Half-Fae

Age: 48 

Type: Humanoid, Outsider(Native)

---------------------------------------------------------

<Defense>

AC: 16, Touch 14, Flatfoot 12 (+4 Dex, +2 Armor)

HP: 10/12 (1d8-1/level)

Fort:-2 Ref:+7 Will:-1

---------------------------------------------------------

<Offensive>

Melee:(Mainhand)M.Rapier(+4(1d6+3), (Offhand)Dagger (+3(1d4+2)

Ranged: N/A

---------------------------------------------------------

<Statistics>

STR:15 DEX:18 CON:7 INT:16 WIS:9 CHA:12

Racial Modifiers: N/A

Languages: Common, Draconic

---------------------------------------------------------

<Feats>

Armor Proficiency:[Light]

Weapon Proficiency:[Simple]

Weapon Finesse

Two Weapon Fighting

Lucky

---------------------------------------------------------

<Talents>

Poison Use

Innocent Facade

---------------------------------------------------------

"What's the <Talents> section? It's new."(Neve)

[It's for the abilities you've learned to use that don't quite qualify as a feat, but still impressive enough to be shown. Think of it as being the same as feats with just an arbitrary separation.]

"Ah, makes sense. How'd I get Innocent Facade though? I wasn't particularly acting innocent."(Neve)

[I don't know, it could've been how when you were talking about poisons you looked unreasonably innocent for the subject matter.]

As we're talking, I start closing all the doors to this room so I can sleep peacefully with minimal risk of interruption.  I throw everything not immediately needed into my inventory, lay down my sleeping bag and go to sleep.

Just before I fall asleep, I mumble:

"I wish I could shower"

Chapter End

Neve's Progress should speed up quite a bit from this point forward hopefully. I won't be describing quite as many events as I have been. 

3