Vol. 2 Chapter 38: Siege
1.1k 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hey, aren't there too many monsters than expected?"

On top of the city walls, an adventurer spoke as he stared into the distance with a tsunami of monsters entering his field of vision.

"You are right, there are over a thousand! What is going on?"

They could see over a thousand monsters ranging from solid-state to expert-level strength.

"Wasn't the dungeon that spawned near the town a 4th-grade dungeon? What's with this number?"

"The guild issued an evacuation order, I thought that they were overreacting at that time but I suddenly have a bad feeling."

A female adventurer said as she felt uneasy for some reason.

Master-ranked monsters hadn't shown up yet but most of the champions here knew otherwise.

"Guild Master!"

From the shadows, one of the guild staff members appeared behind Hendrick.

This was the same person that was Revlo's judge when the latter took the adventurer's qualification test.

Hendrick did not look back but he still acknowledged the man's presence with a nod.

"Do you remember about that troll den and goblin den that formed some sort of an alliance?"

"I know, we were supposed to form a party to exterminate them after we deal with this dungeon business."

The guild master said with a solemn expression.

"We just received a report that the entire settlement had been abandoned, almost like they were all moved away."

The guild master did not reply immediately, turned around to look behind him, and squinted his eyes.

His eyes widened and saw another army of monsters coming from another direction just right behind the town.

"I should've known, that the unknown enemy was responsible for those monster dens' irregular behavior."

The guild master gritted his teeth.

A dungeon outbreak in the front and an army of trolls and goblins in the back.

The guild master didn't think it was a coincidence for two disasters to happen at the same time, everything was planned from the start.

One didn't need a brain to figure that out.

As for why the guild put so much importance on the combined den of a troll den and a goblin den? 

It is because it was discovered that there were abnormal strong monsters, in other words, irregular monsters in that den.

From the reports they received from adventurers and scouts, the number of irregular monsters there was over a dozen.

This discovery stunned the guild at that time, irregular or mutated monsters were rare existences and for dozens of them to exist at the same time in the same monster settlement left the guild flabbergasted.

The guild master did not dilly-dally and quickly put out some orders.

It didn't take long for the word to spread.

"What? Another monster army is headed this way from the other side of town?"

"All of our forces are focused on this side, doesn't that mean that place is defenseless?"

"Don't worry our defensive array will hold up, it's just a bunch of green freaks, we can take them!"

"Quickly, we need at least 20% of the forces here to go on that side!"

Just right after their forces had split up.

"Kekekeke, I love seeing a bunch of ants struggling to delay their deaths."

A cold voice filled with mocking laughter reached everyone's ears.

A terrifying pressure suddenly descended over everyone's head, forcing them to bend their knees.

"This..."

Stunned, everyone suddenly had a hard time standing up, some of the weaker ones immediately spat out blood.

"A master-ranked champion?"

"Who is this bastard?"

"F*ck, I can't stand up."

"This terrifying pressure."

The three remaining master rank champions, the guild master, the town lord, and Salvador were the only ones that remained standing under this immense pressure.

They all looked up only to see a skinny man with ugly features wearing a tattered cloak flying in the air.

"It's you..."

The guild master muttered in an icy tone, even though they just met, the hostilities between them were as intense as they could be.

The three of them started glowing and were able to push back the pressure, mana energies colliding in the middle, forming sparks and tiny shockwaves.

"Finally, I can breathe."

"Who is that guy?"

"Don't tell me that he is the one that orchestrated everything?"

"That guy... gives me the chills."

The surrounding adventurers and knights simultaneously stood up and looked up as well.

They all felt shivers down their spines the moment they laid their eyes on him.

The three master rank champions from Turron Town noticed their expression and cursed.

"No wonder... he arrived here to decrease our side's morale before the battle even began."

It was a simple but effective plan.

"Don't be intimidated, the enemy cannot break through the town's defenses, we just need to hold on until help from the other towns arrive."

The town lord used voice amplification magic so that everyone could hear his words.

The dwindling fighting spirit in their eyes instantly returned as they thought that the town lord's words made sense.

"Attention to all adventurers, with every monster head that you cut off, the guild will reward you with one gold each!"

The guild master's voice also reached their ears, which prompted the adventurer's fighting spirit even more.

"Yeah! There is no need to be afraid!"

"Let's kill as much as we can before help arrives."

"Haha, guild master, I'm going to empty your wallets."

The knights remained calm while the adventurers made a commotion amongst themselves.

While keeping an eye out for the necromancer, the town lord raised his right hand and commanded in a loud voice when the monster army was finally within close distance.

"Archers! Mages! Fire!!!"

All sorts of magic attacks and arrows covered with mana were being hurled at the monster army.

*Boom

*Crash

*Pierce

"Kraaaa"

The monsters at the front let out shrieks of agony.

The vampire lord, Riaz, watched silently with a smile.

"Keke."

He cackled without a care in the world.

"Arise."

Small bursts of dark magic energy suddenly erupted straight out of the ground.

The monsters that died from the first wave of attacks promptly stood up, their eyes turned red while their skin became darker.

"Kreeeeek."

As if announcing that they have returned, they shrieked so loudly that even the surrounding monsters had to cover their ears.

"What? They came back from the dead!"

"A necromancer?"

"F*ck! A master rank champion as well as a necromancer? This type of battlefield fits his style like a glove."

Necromancers were one of the few overpowered occupations that would excel in one versus many types of battles, especially if there were plenty of monsters that could be revived like a monster army in a dungeon outbreak.

"Keep attacking, he can't keep reviving them forever, or else he'll just run out of mana."

Seeing that the people on his side were hesitating after seeing the necromancer's methods, the town lord commanded with a booming voice.

Everyone gritted their teeth and continue to blast all sorts of ranged attacks on the monster army.

Magic attacks were thrown everywhere as the number of monsters slowly decreased.

The barrier that covered the town possessed a special feature where it can block attacks from the outside but can allow magic attacks to pass through from the inside.

They just have to spam any ranged attack spell that they know, slowly but surely, the number of monsters started decreasing a bit.

However...

"Arise."

The necromancer in the air kept reviving the monsters that died.

The guild master, the town lord kept an eye out on the necromancer, while Salvador joined the rest in attacking the monster horde.

"Traceless Lance."

Salvador pulled out his magic weapon, a silver lance with an ornate design.

The orange gem embedded on the lance lit up brightly and the weapon was then covered in yellow light and launched itself towards the monster hoard and successfully killed a good number.

"Arise."

The necromancer chanted once more.

"How does this guy have so much mana?"

"Whatever, just keep attacking until that ugly dude runs out of steam."

The adventurers and knights continued to dish out their attacks from inside the barrier.

'That brat from the Mason clan is not here.'

Riaz, the necromancer thought as his eyes darted around the town that was covered in a barrier.

"Arrow of Wind."

His thoughts came to a stop when he noticed an intense magic attack was fired at him.

"Blood Shield."

The two spells collided and caused a shockwave to occur.

Two eyes locked on against each other as Riaz and Hendrick were having a staredown.

Riaz then showed a grin as his eyes flashed in silver light.

A wave of spiritual fluctuations emerged from his eyes, Riaz was trying to subdue the guild master with his spirit power.

However, the necklace on the guild master's neck lit and formed an invisible barrier that blocked the wave of spirit power from hitting him.

"Tsk, I should have expected, as the guild master, you should have at least possess some artifacts that can protect your spirit from being invaded."

The necromancer clicked his tongue.

'My warding necklace activated, his spirit power must be formidable.'

The guild master was astonished.

Riaz looked below to gaze at the battlefield.

The battle between the champions from Turron Town and the monster army was still ongoing, the monsters were trying their best to break through the barrier, however, the barrier felt like an immovable wall and the monsters had yet to make a dent or a scratch.

The Necromancer shook his head.

"Looks like this is not going to work"

He slowly flew close to the barrier and stopped just a few inches away.

'What is he doing?'

Everyone who saw this thought.

The necromancer retracted his skinny arms and landed a punch.

Every single face of the champions on the Turron Town's side visibly paled when the protection barrier shook.

"Again."

The necromancer uttered and threw another punch.

*Bang

It was like an earthquake had hit the town as a small crack eventually appeared on the barrier where the punch was landed.

"You got to be kidding me!"

Hendrick, the guild master, yelled in disbelief.

3