Chapter 2 – Determination II
529 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xal notices how the cloudy skies are threatening to rain at any second, but a man standing in shiny golden armor seems to shine up the area. He has a long sword put in a sheath with intricate golden marks, and wears a red cape that is fluttering about. Xal knows this man very well. It's the man who he fought alongside with for almost 4 years in their quest to defeat the Demon King.

Standing a dozen meters away from Xal, he is tall, has a well-sculpted jawline, and a look in his eyes that all women seem to go wild over. Is this really what people want in men these days? Xal feels the urge to spit as if something foul is stuck in his mouth. It doesn't help that just by being near this man, you will be drawn into his remarkable golden eyes, shining yellow holy light as if god himself has descended from heaven. From his face to down across his muscled body, he looks like a statue clad in armor, and has a divine-like aura that feels magnetic. Xal forcefully averts his eyes, grimaces and lets out a spit.

「You look well, friend,」 the man opens the conversation with legs separated at shoulder width, one hand on his side, close to the sword's hilt, 「must be someone taking care of you,」 he adds.

Xal spares him no other glance as he instead chooses to look around behind the man.

「So do you, Hero,」 he replies, a forced grin on his face, 「must be all the palace cooking... It's been what, 2 heavenly cycles? Did you have them make your armor a size bigger?」

While talking, he notices how several meters behind Hero are carriages and dozens of knights in less shiny, but matching iron armor. Their faces are stoic and their bodies still. Even with their weapons sheathed, they seem ready to execute any order. A scary sight, however, unlike an ordinary countryman or a well-to-do city dweller who would shriek in this position , Xal feels no intimidation from them. He has no need to.

「Cut the nonsense Xalvari, where is she?!」

Xal is forced to settle his gaze on Hero again, noticing his unamused look. One thing Xal remembers well is how straightforward, almost block-headed, this man is. You could never crack a joke around him without having to explain it, rendering it completely useless. This is a trait he had even before his illumination. Fair, Xal doesn't want to waste time either. He approaches him with steady steps, prompting several knights standing behind Hero to unsheathe their swords and prepare their stance, however, this doesn't faze nor stop Xal. He knows they won't dare move without Hero's order. And Hero won't order them to do that because he's not stupid.

When he is up close enough to see the whites in Hero's eyes, he puts on a haughty expression before leaning into his face to say, 「Ah, so it's business as usual, is it? Well, I'm afraid I can't tell you where she is. That's classified information.」

From around the surrounding trees, Xal hears several archers pop up, their bowstrings already drawn and aiming at him. An intense silence fills the air as the troops wait for Hero's signal, but he raises his hand in a gesture that tells them to stand down.

Xal lets out a hearty laugh, relishing in his status. 「It's always fun how your trained monkeys get ready to dance for you.」

Even more so when considering that Hero wouldn't need any of their help, were he to get serious. The sordid blessing of the Goddess made it like so.

Once again, Hero doesn't entertain Xal's amusement, keeping a serious face to warn him.

「I am here at the request of the Crown, Xalvari. The country needs its princess to be safe and sound. They are just here to ensure that,」 he reveals, staring him right in the eyes with an unwavering gaze before adding, 「Now, please stop this foolishness and-」

「Foolishness?」 Xal interrupts, 「Hero, why pretend? Why don't you just come out and say it? The real reason why you're here.」

Hero looks at him with a bitter expression,「I'm not here out of my... our personal disagreement-」

「Bullshit!」 Xal cuts him off. 「You can't stand the thought of me being her friend, can you?」 Not that Xal cares about that. He just wants to get the rise out of Hero — to hit him where it hurts the most. He continues, 「You've always been jealous of our friendship. You couldn't stand the thought of someone else being close to her besides yourself. That's why you're here, isn't it? To take her back, confine her, and make her your own.」

Hero stomps the ground in anger, getting a sneer out of Xal, 「How dare you speak to me like that, Xalvari. I am the Hero of this kingdom, no! This world! Chosen by the Goddess herself. I am here to protect the princess and bring peace to this land, not to fulfill my own selfish desires.」

Ah yes, still a puppet. Xal shakes his head. Looks like nothing has changed. He would've preferred if Hero did act out of his desires, but he won't, or rather... can't — one of the many reasons why Xal won't forgive him. Thinking about it turns his mood sour, so he makes a swift turn, letting his short grey cape violently swing around toward Hero's face, but, as if protecting him, the wind suddenly changes direction, blowing the fabric up against Xal's back.

「Oh please... Save the noble act for someone who believes it!」 Xal shouts as he's walking back to his front door.「We both know what you truly are. Dare I remind you about what transpired at The Battle of Demon Highlands?」 He knows he's poking a sore spot, but there's just something about Hero that brings the worst out in him. And he doesn't mind it.

The Battle of Demon Highlands was one they fought in the later stages of the war, and it was a barbarous and gory battle where The Demon King's forces inflicted some of the heaviest casualties among humans, elves and dwarves alike. It was during this battle that the Demon King, in desperation, called upon the very depths of the underworld to send its wicked devils to fight alongside his men. Equipped with magic and weapons that struck fear into the hearts of a man, the devils' assaults could raze whole villages and wipe out entire regimens. It was enough to make Hero desperate and pushed him to... unsavory decisions, just so he could save the day. The only ones privy to this were the members of Hero's party, who were sworn to secrecy and never to speak of it again. Not that Xal ever cared about keeping that promise in the first place.

Remembering all of this, Xal can't help but smirk. 「I wonder what your little Goddess thinks about what you did back then?」

Xal hears Hero kicking the dust in anger, armor clattering, 「Shout your blasphemous mouth, Xalvari! Know that I still consider you my friend, and friends do not break promises made under oath!」

Xal almost chokes on his spit. Promises? He has no right to speak of such things. Hero and the wretched fools back at the court. There's no way Xal will forgive them, not after what they did to him.

Upon reaching the door, Xal turns around, revealing a face contorted into a hateful grimace. His eyes are filled with resentment, as if he's staring at the devil himself. He has become tired of the sight of this despicable dog in front of him, constantly reminding him of the betrayal after the war.

「Alright, fine then. Take her and get out of my sight, you traitorous scum!」 he hisses, turning away with disgust and puts his hand on the door handle. If giving her back means that all of them will disappear from his sight and he never has to hear about them again, then he'd gladly do so. It's not like Xal ever cared about Rosaria, who came running to him.

At that moment, the door flares open, and out emerges the princess, running.

「No! Xal, what are you saying!?」 she cries out, her face a mask of panic.

「Your savior in shining armor is here to whisk you away, get going」 Xal sneers, a hint of irritation in his voice.

But before Rosaria can respond, Hero reaches out his hand, and as if the skies are at his will, a golden light shines down from a break in the gray clouds above, the heavens themselves apparently lending their support. Rosaria and the surrounding knights and archers gasp in awe.

「Princess Rosaria!」 Hero booms, his voice deep and gallant. Rosaria stares at him, her eyes wide with surprise. She places her hand over her chest and mutters, 「Hero...」

「Come with me, back to your kingdom where we shall prosper, together!」 Hero demands.

7