Chapter 9 – Grime II
241 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Romelan, or rather, Melan strides forward, her eyes fixated on a group of adventures surrounding and harassing a timorous elf. She watches the girl's ears and hands wave in denial as she speaks frantically. Her big, silvery eyes dart from one person to the next while her round cheeks flush a bright red, visible even under the dirt covering them like camouflage.

Taking in the sight before her, Melan's mind conjures up images of a bunny being cornered by a pack of wolves. And she'll be the knight on a white horse, swooping in and saving the day. Perfect.

Checking up on her appearance once more, Melan notices the petite elf is wearing a patchy, navy blue cloak covering a worn-out, brown linen vest, a gathered, grey linen skirt with a hole in the hem on the side, and badly scratched thigh-high boots.

A poor-looking elf covered in grime and dirt from head to toe? Not an unusual sight, mind you, but in a dangerous place like this, far away from their natural habitat of the high forests in the west? That's unusual.

The bow without string fastened around her back is the usual elvish weapon of choice, along with a quiver containing several arrows, many of them having seen countless reuse. In contrast to her sorry state, the ruffians surrounding her all seem like experienced adventurers with oversized fancy armor and weapons that appear to look more like centerpieces than tools of trade.

Melan has already met several similar sights on her way around this place in the past few days. All of which she ignored. Adventurers are rarely known for their ruly behavior so scenes like these are commonplace all over the world. What has piqued her interest this time, however, are those long ears of the young elf. Rarely do you ever see one of their race express so much raw emotion unreservedly. To boot, despite the dirt and grime, being an elf means her face is still a pretty thing to look at. Her body, Melan muses, leaves a lot to be desired, however — just like a diamond in the rough, she's ready to be refined and polished. And that might just prove to be worth Melan's time. A smile spreads across her face.

Finally getting within earshot, she hears the young elf's nervous and quivering voice as she waves her arms side to side, 「Awa-wawa... Please, I already said that I don't want to!」

「Come on, don't be difficult! It'll be quick!」 a coarse voice coming from the only female in the group of three pressures the young elf as she takes a step closer. She has broad shoulders and a huge staff.

「Don't ya want to become a big-time adventurer? Join us!」 one of the males grins menacingly, letting his yellow patchy row of teeth show. His armor is the biggest among them, bulky and expansive, as if he's trying to poorly imitate the knights back in the Human Kingdom. The axe behind his back barely looks like something he could swing at all. They all have silver-colored tags engraved with the letter B hanging on strings around their necks. Their hair, messy and frizzy, with dried blood and grime on their clothes and armor complements the unwashed adventurer look.

Vile and repulsive! Melan covers her nose in disgust, barely standing the sight of them. She steps forward and interrupts the show, 「Excuse me, everyone,」 she says, voice calm and measured, 「Would you mind if I borrow your attention for a moment?」

The trio turns their heads toward her, annoyed, with their faces twisted into impatient scowls. But Melan is undaunted. She meets the young elf's gaze and nods slightly, wanting to reassure her.

「This young lady is with me,」 Melan tells them firmly, hoping this will settle smoothly. 「I would appreciate it if you would let her go.」

「Haaaaanh? Whaddya say?」 the third member, a scrawny but tall man with light armor and bronze daggers at his sides walks, swaying side to side exaggeratedly, up to her and postures intimidatingly close to her face, 「Lil' lady, dont'cha think ya' in the 'rong alley? Unless ya wanna join us too?」

The other two members, needing more time to move due to their heavy armor, are about to back him up, but the elf quickly runs between Melan and the ruffians.

「Awwawawa, p-please wait, it's not what you think! S-she's just trying to help!」the elf frantically waves her thin arms, seemingly to protect the defenseless, clueless woman behind her who doesn't know any better.

Melan chuckles. In just a second, the roles have been reversed. This elf is too kindhearted for her own good. Not wanting to cause any more of a scene, the emerald-eyed woman reaches inside her long black cloak, 「My, I hear the blacksmiths have produced bigger pieces of equipment lately, you should hurry and have a look before they are sold out,」 she remarks with a giggle as she takes out three gold coins.

The trio look at each other with greedy gazes before one of them rudely snatches the gold pieces out of her glove-covered hand, then proceeds to turn around and slink away into the crowd, the other two following closely behind.

「Phew...」 the young elf almost drops down in relief. She turns around, revealing a shy smile, 「Ah, uhmm! I'm so sorry, that was a lot of money, b-because of me... but thank you very much, miss!」 she bends in a respectful bow.

Melan seems more fixated on how the elf's ears are fluttering, drooping, then springing back up, as if her unconscious mind can't decide whether to be sorry or happy.

「Cute,」 Melan can't help but mutter. She steps closer while keeping her hand in front of her nose, blocking off the smell. She'll have to get used to this.

「Where are your companions, girl?」 she asks.

「Ehmm.. ah... my companions? That's, well...」 the girl starts shifting on her feet. Her ears have finally settled on staying drooped.

「I see how it is. I am Melan, what might be your name?」 Melan's slender eyebrows raise, and a devious smile, obscured by her hand, emerges on her face. She might just have struck gold.

「Yes, o-of course, I'm sorry!」 The girl, compelled by the formality exuded by Melan, corrects her posture and raises her modest chest. Beaming with pride, she says, 「I am Percibell, a C-rank adventurer. Pleased to meet you, Miss Melan!」

§

A little time later, Melan steps into a different tavern, where the air is thick with the scent of class and elegance — a far cry from the shoddy joint she visited earlier. The room is well-lit, the chairs looking more sturdy, draped with colored leather, and the floors are spotless, all the way to the entrance.

She has learned from her previous mistake to be less conspicuous — or so she thought. Percibell trails closely behind her while slowly scanning every corner of the tavern, getting a glimple of the disapproving eyes of the other patrons. She tugs lightly on Melan's cloak, her ears drooping in shame and embarrassment, 「Umm, Miss Melan... T-they are staring,」

Melan walks confidently towards an empty table, ushering the elf along, 「Pay no attention, dear, they'll stop soon enough.」

This time it is Melan's shabby companion, who, dressed like a a cheap and dirty adventurer who just tumbled out of a dusty cave, is drawing attention. The guests look towards her, then to each other with displeasure, even going as far as whispering to the barmaids. Melan meets their disapproving gazes with a cool look, until the onlookers start averting their faces and pretending to go back to their business.

After sitting at an empty table, Melan makes note to keep a confident demeanor of someone who has it all sorted out. When a barmaid approaches them, she orders with grace, knowing what exactly to get.

「Might we kindly request a strong beer for myself and a pleasingly sweetened Hebra juice for the young lady by my side?」

Percibell's ears perk back up and her eyes shine in amazement while observing every move of Melan's graceful behaviour.

Once the barmaid leaves, the emerald-eyed woman adjusts the hood covering her head and moves her long black cloak aside, revealing her slender leg, crossing it over the other. She then inquires of the elf, 「I wonder what that was about, outside? Would you perhaps be fine with telling me?」

Percibell looks down at the table, still uncomfortable in the presence of a woman appearing so worldly. She tells Melan about the B-ranked adventurers who had pestered to join their party for a quest. 「uhmm.. I just arrived here so you know how that kinda thing goes...」she concludes.

Melan raises one eyebrow in a feign of ignorance,「Oh my, what would have happened if you joined their party?」 she asks.

「Miss Melan, doesn't know about it? S-sorry, that's not too surprising...」 Percibell apologizes, accepting it as a matter of course that a lady like Miss Melan wouldn't know about the lowly struggles of a plebeian like her. To the poor and daunted elf, Melan seems like the runaway daughter of a rich family, 'out to see the world'. She couldn't suspect that the truth is not too far off.

The elf bites her lip in a frown as she explains, 「It's obvious trickery with adventurer parties. If I joined their party they would most likely have... forced themselves on me.」

Melan gasps audibly, elegantly covering her mouth with her hand, 「Heavens... That is certainly horrible.」

Percibell nods, 「You go with them on a quest far away in a remote place, and then...」

Melan can't help but feel a sense of dread wash over her. Bar the Demon King, and a few nefarious devils from his reign still lurking around, adventurers might be the next abomination to exist in this world. True, some are honorable, but the others are evil maniacs who believe their badge gives them permission to do anything they want. The long war has only made things worse, and the Adventure Guilds are still struggling to keep them in check.

「I hear the adventurers around the lands of the Protagania races should be on better behavior. Why is a... excuse me, frail-looking, young elf like you out here in the wilds, all by herself?」 Melan asks, trying to reassure Percibell of her best intentions with a soft smile.

The elf laughs awkwardly, scratching her ear, and admits「Haha... Miss Melan is right... We usually keep to ourselves,」 she looks down her chest, staring at the shiny silver-plated badge hanging around her neck, then adds, almost in a whisper, 「But, I wanted to become an adventurer...」

The barmaid appears with two glass jugs on a silver plate. Melan points at the table, a little bit closer to herself. She continues while the attending maid sets out their beverages.

「Being a lone adventurer in this harsh climate is stupid, I can't tell whether to be impressed or feel sorry for you,」 Melan remarks sardonically, only to soon feel regret after seeing the hurt in Percibell's eyes. The emerald-eyed woman tenses up — this isn't what she's here for, she laments. She can't afford to ruin this opportunity. While trying to figure out the best way to make amends, she hears Percibell laugh halfheartedly, 「Miss Melan, you don't like adventurers very much do you?」 she asks, trying to diffuse the tension.

「No, they are loud, obnoxious, and oftentimes differ from barbarians only by haircuts,」 Melan confesses, her disdain for adventurers slipping out as if slighted personally by them. 「You'd be hard-pressed to find any of them worth their salt, and—」 she cuts herself off, realizing her mistake when she sees how miserable Percibell looks, ears drooped the lowest yet as she squirms uncomfortably in her chair.

「I-I'm sorry,」 Melan quickly apologizes. This habit of poisoning her conversations for no good reason should stop, she notes to herself. It has become a common occurrence for her lately — why? she ponders. This place and her current predicament have evidently started taking a toll on her.

「No, it's okay...」 Percibell looks up at her, a demure and helpless smile forming across her face. 「At least, Miss Melan is honest. I like that. I feel good knowing what miss really thinks...」

Melan adjusts her posture by switching the crossed legs around and takes a deep breath, preparing for a change of topic. Onto greener, more positive pastures.

「Have you ever considered doing something else, Percibell?」 she asks gently.

「N-no, being an adventurer is all I have ever wanted...」 Percibell admits, again clearly dampened by Melan's words. Whereas before she was bubbly and excited, now she seems more nervous and repressed. Damn it. Feeling guilty for her earlier harshness, Melan resolves to get things back on track. An opportunity. She just needs a single opportunity!

1