A new beginning
60 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Andras blinked, he was no longer at his desk. The candle lit books replaced with brightly lit grass. A field? In the middle of a forest his quill still in hand. A weird set of...transparent Documents filled his vision.

Where am I? He pondered prior to reality setting in. Where are my servants? What happened? Why am I here? But a Necromancer is nothing if not practical. It's time to think, not panic.

First some protection, then to find shelter, explore the area and get back to civilization.
Every necromancer knows how to travel through the wilds as they are often sent to faraway lands to enforce the will of the necropolis. 

After reading the menus, Andras got down to business. Oddly, the floating papers moved out of his vision as he focused on the task at hand. He needed a guard.

Andras
Human Level 1, Unclassed
Health: 200/200
Stamina: 100/100
Mana: 1000/1000

Strength 5
Stamina 5
Endurance 5
Intellect 25

Mana oozed from his hands as he shaped it with magic. A corpse knight, the shock troopers of the Necropolis, big, strong and expendable. His? Was on the smaller side, coming in at around 9 feet tall of solid, bulky muscle. Bone materialized as it wrapped itself in gray flesh and sinew, yellow empty eyes staring out into the wilderness.

Every monster needs a name, Boden, fitting for the start of a new journey. 

Boden
Corpse Knight Level 1, Unclassed
Health 2000/2000
Stamina 1500/1500
Mana 120/120

Strength 40
Stamina 25
Endurance 50
Intelligence 3

My last memory was in my office, going through the typical bureaucratic protocols so standard among the necropolis' empire, writing a report on a pest infestation of all things. spectral rodents weren't exactly a common problem but I didn't care. It was done, I was tired and my time could have been spent on better things. 

Idly I wondered how my pet, Mort, was doing, the tiny skeletal cat kept my spirits up on many a cold night. Hopefully someone would take care of him in my absence. 

Pulling his robes closer, Andras set off on a brisk pace, Boden taking the lead at his mental command. It was time to find some shelter.

-----------------------------

The forest was dense, Untrodden aside from the few game trails. Civilization was far from near. The quiet chirping of birds filtered through the trees. It was nice, relaxing even, a much needed breather from the monotony of life and a sharp reminder that he was in the middle of nowhere. 

Leaves crunched underfoot, the sun shone on, the trees familiar but nothing he could place. Insects crawled, rodents hid, he even spotted the odd furry vulpine here and there stalking thru the underbrush. He recognized none of them.

It wasn't until evening before something tingled on the edge of his senses. The cold. haunting chill of undeath. The dead hated the living, their corruptive influence a large part of why true necromancy is barred across the necropolis' lands. Naturally occurring undead tend to come about from great feelings of malice, loss or even duty but often times just as much from lands infused with magic such as crystal mines, power stations or areas where grand spells were made and cast. 

Following the sensation lead to a hilly clearing and the remains of an old mine sitting in the dusk. There was a faint trail leading back into the forest. This was exactly what he was hoping for! a lead to civilization and shelter. All that was left was to clear out a few malicious ghosts and they'd be able to settle in for the night.

Cautiously, the giant creature and its master entered the howling cave.

1