Chapter 95: Time for Rest
94 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 95: Time for Rest

A young woman got out of a car.

Wearing a black ball gown with a slit up the leg, she made everyone look because of her beauty.

Flowing black hair and a figure with curves and ‘perfect’ proportions.

With no makeup, she was a ‘goddess’ who descended into this world for the appreciation of mortals, only this ‘goddess’ had a moody expression.

Alice scanned the surroundings of the building entrance and, ignoring the stares of those near the entrance, she turned her gaze to the old man who was exiting the building.

An old man with an exercised figure that no one would realize was over sixty years old if it weren’t for his graying white hair.

“Sorry to keep you waiting Your... Miss,” said the old man, correcting himself midway because of the look she gave.

Dodging her gaze, that man pulled a ring out of his pocket and passed it to her.

When Alice put it on, her figure blurred slightly as her presence diminished by a large margin.

“You have fifteen minutes,” Alice stated in an indifferent tone.

The old man nodded like a polite butler and escorted her inside the building.

“I hope you enjoy the party, Miss,” James said with a casual smile, and noticing that he hadn’t caught Alice’s eye, he added. “We also have a snack area set up for you.”

Alice’s look reduced her grumpiness, but she maintained her nonchalance and nodded.

Without the need to take an elevator up, in front of her, a doorway appeared and the old man entered next to Alice.

An immense hall with large windows revealing the entire Zerzura City was the first thing they noticed.

Dozens of guests of all kinds were present.

From Cardinal Brousseau, the Minister of Zerzura, and General McLean, to local influential figures.

Adventurers and powerful guild leaders from Zerzura.

Surrounded by dozens of important dignitaries from elsewhere, prestigious business owners, rich and famous individuals from different parts of the world, all gathered in one room.

“James, this is a splendid party, as always.”

When they caught the old man, Alice, who was not seen, approached toward the small table with all kinds of appetizers.

Some musicians were playing tunes that relaxed and enlivened the atmosphere, giving a sense of comfort.

Conversations about business, politics, and international affairs were talked about as if nothing was happening.

However, in this lively and elegant high society party, very few noticed.

Even those S-ranks who participated could not see or notice her presence.

Her ring hid her presence from the eyes of those of no importance.

Alice had no interest in initiating conversations with most of those present, and the only thing she was present for today was her friend.

Eating snacks in a corner, Alice surveyed her surroundings.

When individuals such as Colonel McLean greeted her, she returned the greeting with a simple nod.

In cases like Cardinal Brousseau or Alima noticing her, Alice also did the same.

All without moving from her place and without stopping eating.

From time to time, some individuals gave curious glances in her direction, but Alice continued to eat.

Greeting those she should greet, ignoring those she should ignore, and revealing herself to those she needed to reveal herself to.

It was a simple task, and sporadically a few greetings arrived.

A young man who greeted her with an amused smile as if they were acquaintances.

The pervert, who when he arrived, ignored everyone who approached him to speak to him and looked around for a particular presence, then sighing in the process.

Urfin, who was greeting the dignitaries, gave a nod in her direction, however, did not approach as he noticed her expression.

At exactly fifteen minutes, Alice walked to the exit and the old man accompanying her left the conversation he was in and approached her.

Without entering the elevator, a portal was created, and they both walked through it back into the hall of the same building she had entered.

The portal led to another building, Alice could tell because of her senses, though she paid it no mind.

“Thank you for coming to make your presence known and allowing them to reconfirm who you are,” the old man said with a casual smile.

“They know who I am and don’t need to ‘confirm’ it,” Alice replied, walking in the car’s direction.

This wasn’t business that needed her presence or her approval and neither was it a visit so that her ‘servants’, like James, could see her.

“Sure, sure...” James replied like a butler praising his ‘master’ and with a smile, added. “Remember the individual who was caught stealing an egg? Thanks to Liam’s report, we have taken care of the situation and there will be no more problems.”

Alice nodded in satisfaction.

Only an idiot would try to make trouble for her sister by hiring thugs to threaten her.

First, Zerzura was strict with the laws and his treaty with magical beasts, second, the consequences were severe if they were discovered.

It was quite possible that this individual had not only lost his fortune, and they probably closed the business but also locked him up in Zerzura Prison.

No one could offer him a chance to get out.

To go against the city was to antagonize the Church of Time and Space and at the same time the Apicius Company, it was normal that there would be heavy consequences and even more if they attacked one of its members.

When she reached the car that was still waiting for her in the same place, Alice turned to look at the old man who was following her like a faithful and loyal servant.

“James, tell me why you invited me and used Aurora to do it,” Alice commanded and looking at the old man, added. “I don’t think it’s because my servants miss me and need to see me. It’s not business, and it’s also not to reaffirm my existence to the individuals at that party.”

Her servants, such as James himself, who was in front of her, would not miss her, and more so when they knew her character.

It was true that they supported her throughout her childhood and then subsequently until now, but that was all.

James could visit her residence, and since Aurora was there, she would have to behave herself.

Those who needed to know who she was known and there was no need to go commenting all over the place.

As far as business was concerned, James was in charge of everything and had complete and total authority to do as he pleased.

As long as he kept her interests at the top of his list of priorities, he had complete freedom.

However, there was no reason for him to call Aurora to ask her to convince her to come to this party.

James’ gaze turned serious, and he gave a glance at the people around.

They stopped acting like mere bystanders and created a barrier that covered the duo.

“That much security, is it that important?” Alice asked with her curiosity piqued.

She didn’t care that those people were maintaining security, after all, someone had to create the portal to send them to the party being held in another building.

Still, the barrier was dense enough to prevent anyone from trying to eavesdrop on their conversation in any way possible.

“Yes, it’s a classified matter, but we’ve received the report,” James replied, and quietly recounted what he knew.

Detail by detail, he told everything he knew.

Alice’s indifferent look changed to curiosity, and then she nodded with a surprised smile.

“Sounds really interesting,” Alice murmured with a small smile and then, with a serious look, she commented. “It is quite possible that it will soon be reported to the world. We’ll see what it holds globally.”

James nodded at her comment and, with curiosity, asked. “Will you tell Aurora?”

“Of course, there’s no need to keep it from her, as she will eventually know,” Alice replied in a more animated tone.

It wasn’t good news and would bring some complications, but it was interesting in its own way to her.

Besides, knowing beforehand was quite nice because they could prepare themselves.

“Take care of informing those who need to be prepared, it’s useless to hide that kind of information,” Alice ordered before getting into the back seat of the car.

“I understand, Your Excellency,” James replied, and before Alice glanced at him, the old man quickly retreated.

Alice let him pass because of her good mood, not only for knowing that news but also because she was about to return home.

The chauffeur started driving with a signal from her and Alice looked at the night city that was still partying.

The future held ‘unexpected’ situations, however, the focus needed to be on the now.

And that meant enjoying dinner with her sister.

******

Aurora when she heard the sound of the car, down to the second floor and waiting for her friend to come in.

That she looked like a young wife waiting for her hardworking husband after a long day’s work didn’t change Aurora’s mood.

Moreover...

“Welcome, my dear!” Aurora greeted as the beauty entered the building.

Alice’s expression quivered at seeing her so suddenly, and then she gave a slightly charming smile.

“I’m tired. That party was full of idiots and perverts,” Alice said, and winking flirtatiously at her, she murmured. “Everything I do for you.”

It was a tone that intermingled sigh with a hint of weariness, as if to say it was inevitable.

Although her friend’s face was quite close and her black eyes were appealing in a way, Aurora gave a smile as she saw Alice was in a good mood.

“I’ll make it up to you,” Aurora replied and, taking her friend’s hand, created a portal to head to the top floor.

When they arrived, they noticed the bright atmosphere and the dishes that filled the table.

Smilodon Fatalis meat made in all kinds of dishes and accompanied by different sauces and salads.

Great value and excellent tasting alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.

“You put in a lot of effort,” Alice muttered as her expression softened and, looking at Aurora, she murmured. “I just went to a little party. You didn’t need to try so hard.”

Aurora smiled as she saw her friend’s touched expression.

Was it because of her action or because of all the dishes present?

It didn’t matter.

All that mattered was...

“This is a thank you for sticking with me this half-year and supporting me for so long. Always being by my side through thick and thin,” Aurora announced with a soft smile.

To her, those words were not embarrassing, as they came from the bottom of her heart.

There was no better friend and sister than Alice who would accompany her on anything she desired.

She was willing to do anything.

From dressing up as a heroine to save the world to accompanying her in any tiny task that required her help.

For Aurora to learn how to cook and make her an excellent meal, it was the least she could do as a return.

Alice gave a bright smile and as her ring sparkled, changing all her clothes for something more comfortable, she invited Aurora to eat.

The two dined alone as the students were probably still at the concert and, even though they were both there, the atmosphere was harmonious.

Alice praised each plate of food made by Aurora.

There was plenty of food and even though Aurora technically had little time, this was when she was in this place.

Her masters looked at her funny when she went to prepare the food in that white room, but the effort and bribery of leaving food for her were worth it.

Aurora finished full rather quickly, however, Alice continued to eat with unflappable calmness.

Occasionally giving her praise to the ‘chef’.

When Alice finished tasting all the dishes, she moved on to dessert and then from dessert to a bag of chips.

Aurora couldn’t understand how her sister could eat so much and maintain her excellent figure, but enjoyed watching her eat at ease.

After the chips, they both went to the balcony looking out over the huge, shining city.

The party was still going on and the vast majority of the buildings had lights on and in some areas, they could hear music, perhaps from recitals.

People were still passing through the streets laughing and having fun.

“You should be proud. This is all your work,” Alice announced, looking out over the shining city.

Aurora watched the city closely.

She couldn’t deny that she was pleased, but there was one point where Alice was wrong.

“This isn’t my job. It’s ours,” Aurora corrected in a serious tone.

It’s true she was here present when Zerzura was a town in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by creatures, monsters, and with an atmosphere full of fear.

At the lowest point of her life, she got up again to continue fighting and helping.

But that didn’t mean she was alone.

Alice accompanied her and stood by her side without complaining or refusing to perform any task, bringing with her other individuals who supported her task and gave meaning to her goal.

Aurora never thought that Zerzura would be created when she arrived five years ago, however, this was the result.

The efforts of thousands of people who slowly grew in number until it became hundreds of thousands built Zerzura City.

From the Church of Time and Space to the Apicius Company.

The former gained nothing even though areas like the middle east were full of demons at the time and the latter spent millions before making a profit.

Aurora drank her drink and finished it completely.

Now she had to prepare for what was to come and keep working not only for Zerzura, but for those who needed her help.

Perhaps it was impossible to help everyone, but Aurora was content to do her bit.

“By the way, James informed me of something he heard,” Alice said in a serious tone, and activating the building’s barrier to prevent anyone from overhearing, she added. “It’s about...”

Aurora’s expression trembled as she heard that news that could only be classified as ‘bad news’.

Terrible news.

“Unfortunately, for now we don’t have too much information, but I think if we searched the records we might find something.” Alice stated, noting the seriousness Aurora exuded and how she then sighed.

That information was not something that was so easily ‘heard’ and it was a heavy matter that was completely beyond her.

It was to the level that she wondered how they found out.

Still...

“It’s not something we can disrupt, and it’s not something that can be hidden either. It’s pretty safe for the churches to move and act,” Aurora surmised after careful thought.

A matter of such magnitude as this, it was likely that it would soon be revealed to the important leaders and then to the world.

No, maybe some already knew about it, that was why they got the information.

Anyway...

“We can’t intervene in ‘it’, just prepare for the worst. For now, let’s just take care of the Assault mission,” Aurora said and seeing that her friend nodded, she added. “Tomorrow, the students will meet the other teams and have training with them.”

Instead of worrying, she preferred to get busy.

“That’s for the best. There’s not too much time to organize everything,” Alice commented for her part and, frowning, she stated. “Besides, it’s a few days before the end of the month and they have to go back to the academy.”

From the look on her face, Aurora knew she was also asking about what they would be doing.

Giving a sigh for all the trouble, Aurora noticed how the group was returning, bringing some white masks from the concert with them.

“We’re just taking it one step at a time,” Aurora replied, and taking her friend by the hand, she added. “Now let’s have some fun tonight and if you want, you can come back for dinner.”

There were quite a few things to do, but thinking too much about it now would be troublesome, tiring, and inefficient.

Today was a time for rest.

 


Announcement

I've posted a new story! Go check it out!
New

1