Chapter 269: Sanctuary
61 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 269: Sanctuary

The sanctuary was located in the eastern part of the Zerzura City and although its name gave a lot to think about; it was a small walled town like any other.

A wall several meters high that was the basic defense in case of danger and emergency drones that could be controlled by the protection system were the two main safeguards.

Aurora walked through the streets of that town.

They designed the houses in the classic style of the other villages, and the streets were wide.

Unlike other towns, the sidewalks were lined with trees giving a feeling of nature.

Right now, such a place was filled with goblins, officials, and priests preparing everything.

Registering the four and a half thousand survivors and managing their households, how they would be divided and then also being taught the basics.

Adapting to modernity was going to be the first step in assimilating into this world.

The goblins were a tribal race and did not have too many advances in their world, but in this one, things could be quite easy.

Water pipes made it possible to have water in every part of the house, cooking made it possible to heat food and refrigerators made it possible to keep drinks cool and food preserved.

There were also businesses run by priests.

While the church supplied all the necessary goods, the ‘tents’ were just a form of teaching so that the goblins could adapt to this world when they could leave.

They could not let just anyone out because in this kind of world situation where two abyssal portals had appeared, the situation was tense.

Seeing a green creature was likely to upset some people, and more so when such an individual had not adapted to modern and human society.

There was much to teach.

From adapting to their homes, generating a common sense to survive in human society, understanding rules of different places and emphasizing what is right or wrong to do.

Then would come the education that would generate a basic teaching throughout the race.

There were also quite a few problems present.

One of them was the contempt of the upper caste against the middle caste and, to a greater extent, the lower caste, which also extended from the middle caste to the lower caste.

It was true that conflict was present in every organization, but in this case they were few and to top it all they were in another isolated world.

This was no time for divisions, and they needed to create a sense of unity.

Of course, Aurora knew that such a thing was going to be difficult, and even more so when the ‘little devils’ generally had low intelligence.

Some said that these creatures were born with the intelligence of a child and while there were exceptions, the general rule was that they turned out to be less intelligent.

They had a wild and dangerous, slightly reckless nature.

Right now the lower caste was quiet and part of the reason was due to Zrag wiping out a portion of them and their former leader.

However, Aurora had read that the shamans feared that when the fear subsided, they would begin to act as they pleased.

Educating them was going to be a task that the priests and the goblins themselves would have to do methodically.

The only remarkable thing was that having a connection to another magical world as Terra nova was, many ways could be found to educate those goblins and more when on the other side, they said that there were goblin kingdoms.

Aurora continued walking around observing part of the area until she reached the central area where the square was and in it was Cardinal Brousseau, chatting with three goblins.

The first was the tall and great leader of the goblins... Zrag the ‘Savior’.

Next to him was another of their leaders, the shaman Wozikas and also present was someone Aurora knew, Zorkas the elder who had come with her from the other side of the portal.

Cardinal Brousseau noticed her and beckoned her to come closer, managing to make Aurora give a sigh inwardly.

“So, what did you think of the place?” Cardinal Brousseau asked after a simple greeting.

Aurora surveyed the surroundings calmly.

The town was large enough to settle all goblins and quite a few humans. It also had quite a few basic services and facilities that would undoubtedly come in handy.

Security was also high, not only to avoid internal conflicts, but mostly focused on external defense.

In this world, there were quite a few lunatics and fanatics and for one of them to come and cause trouble would not be uncommon.

“It’s nice. You can see the effort of those who built it. I like that they left some land open for when they wish to create buildings to their liking,” Aurora commented in a simple tone.

The empty grounds were ready for the goblins.

If they ever wished to install a building trying to satiate one of their desires, they could do so.

That meant, if they wished to have an animal kennel, a training area or a dueling coliseum could be prepared.

It was useful for them to satiate their needs because it would help them relax and adjust.

“There is not too much entertainment for us. So we may as well stick to martial,” Zrag replied with a serious nod.

Aurora met the gaze of that tall goblin that generated an imposing atmosphere and feeling.

Leading his race to salvation caused him to be shaped as an unstoppable individual and even when he wasn’t fighting, he showed that feeling.

Zrag was the representation of traveling a difficult path and overcoming all obstacles on his own.

“Zrag and Wozikas. This is Aurora Campbell. Who started this movement trying to save your race,” Cardinal Brousseau introduced and giving a half smile, she commented. “She is also the ‘Protector of Zerzura’, in charge of various matters.”

Her ‘various matters’ were rather vague, but it was the only way it could be said.

Aurora only had responsibilities when she took it on herself and at normal times she just checked what others were doing, looking for a way to help.

That was a nice introduction, but Aurora made a serious expression as she listened to the cardinal.

She hadn’t liked it not only because of her title, but mainly because it made her seem like the savior of the entire race... As if she had done everything to reach this point.

“I only gave a request. There are other people who moved to make it happen, while another large group supported such ideas. Mainly the Church of Time and Space.” Corrected Aurora solemnly.

She was the savior?

She had only given a request to the church as she prepared to take the abyssal portal ready, to pave a path filled with the blood of her former enemies.

She was far from being a savior and she did not wish for someone to point her out as such when she did nothing.

That was why she gave a glance to Cardinal Brousseau, who only smiled.

“Still, you made the request that led to everything. Besides, Zorkas told me that you helped him and his people when you might not have. That’s enough,” Zrag said and, staring at her, he stated. “That’s why I thank you.”

Aurora’s expression became more solemn.

That tall goblin gave off a rather imposing vibe, which made his words feel all too sincere.

Even so, she still felt that uneasiness, and Zrag noticed it.

“Both races fought each other and on both sides, people died, some good and some bad. It was a war. The deaths turned out to be inevitable,” Zrag said and earnestly, he noted. “However, in that situation you not only took the initiative to help the ‘civilians’, but you also helped Zorkas when there was no need. That’s why I thank you.”

The war between the two ended up seeming to be something in vain and meaningless when they faced ‘Chaos’.

Both sides killed individuals from the other, and that was because it was a war.

Zrag, for his part, was thankful that in the midst of that war she thought about the other side and while someone might doubt about her sincerity, it all disappeared when he heard Zorkas’ story.

In the middle of an unknown place, in danger and facing a great enemy, she, instead of confronting Zorkas or leaving them aside, helped him.

If the sanctuary thing was just an initiative that got other people moving to achieve what they were all wanting, what happened with Zorkas was a test of her character.

The best way to understand a person was in the moment of stress and difficulty.

Aurora understood what he was referring to and let out a sigh.

At that moment, she didn’t think too much as she faced the large worm and its young. She simply moved as she always did.

“I understand,” Aurora replied, and giving the cardinal a glance, she specified. “Still, just a thank you is enough. I don’t want you to escalate things.”

Cardinal Brousseau’s expression quivered for a brief moment.

Aurora was not as naïve as before and knew that they were trying to find a ‘human figure’ to brand her as the savior of the race.

It was an excellent method to lessen the rancor between humans and goblins. There was no doubt about it.

However, it was a different matter if that individual was her, as she had not done much to become that figure.

It was the same with her title of 'Protector of Zerzura'.

Too many people helped and protected the city during its beginnings and even others gave their lives to bring the city to this point. To have such a title when one knew about the actions of others was excessive.

Now she did not wish to carry the responsibilities of a new title.

Cardinal Brousseau nodded in understanding.

“I hear new ‘abyssal portals’ have appeared,” Zrag mentioned changing the subject and when he got her attention, he commented. “Perhaps we are not the only ones in search of a glimmer of hope.”

Aurora’s expression became serious at the words of such a radical change of subject.

If they came from the first portal, it was possible that others came from the other portals.

For humanity, those portals caused some fear, because of the uncertainty it generated and the destruction it could cause.

However, it could also be seen from another point of view and it was possible that those who were surviving on the other side saw it as a path of hope.

Of course, it was all a hypothesis based on the other place being the same as in Zrag’s world and that the voice thought to have started the portals was the same existence that created them now.

Aurora put on an expression would be too disoriented to think about the situation and when she had the chance she retreated.

There was no doubt that the expedition members had to go with an open mind, prepared to face enemies, but also to meet possible allies.

Unfortunately, she could not do too much.

Her only contact in Europe was with the Cernunnos Academy and Elder Kernen, as for the others, they were magical beasts.

Let alone Russia.

She let out a long sigh as she took the portal back to the basement of her building.

Part of her was thinking about moving up the ranks officially, trying to see if it was possible, to such a thing would help her in the future.

Even though she knew what title they would try to give her, the benefits and prestige that an S rank generated were undoubtedly indisputable.

Still, she knew it wasn’t enough.

Shaking her head somewhat helplessly, Aurora used the portal to ascend to the room and when she arrived, she froze.

A rather pleasing figure to the eye, with long blonde hair, delicate and elegant features, was sitting on the couch in her living room next to Alice, who was reading a book.

Strangely, such a situation did not feel uncomfortable and the young woman just sat there.

“Clémentine?” Aurora hesitated with a smile.

The young woman sitting there was her former student and friend, who had supposedly been training in isolation.

0