Chapter 1
82 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It starts with a fit of rage.

 “Rrrrraaaaaaahhhhhh!” A burst of emotions ran through the first figure's body. Their legs thrust through the mist like air, but every step felt like they were pushing through sand. Their arms were tense and their hands were on the ready as they got closer to the second figure.  

The second figure with their deep sea blue eyes looked at the misty ground with a calm disposition, he made up his mind. He was not going to go back, that’s why he stood on this edge. The edge where this life started and would end.  He blinked to adjust his line of sight and as they rose he saw two hands pass his neck, brushed through his short light blond hair and took hold of his grey wings. He flinched from the immediate pain. His gaze met the expression reflecting off of the other for one last time. Gritted teeth that expressed agony more than anger and twitching heavily knitted brows that cast shadows over their eyes. 

An exploding pain arose from where his skin met his plumes. The sound of separation started to permeate in his ears, but he would not drop his gaze. He held on to the other’s arms to help him keep straight and gave them a nod to finish the job. The other’s whole being tensed up further at the sight of the man’s determination, they took one final deep breath before they lifted their leg. With high force they kicked the other in the stomach, tearing off the beautiful set of feathery wings, casting out the man from the clouds above. 

Down on earth, a goddess took a leisurely walk through a blanket of snow. Her light blonde hair stretched out miles hovering over the snow without leaving a trail and her golden brown skin emitted a warm green and yellow light, Illuminating her path. Her body was on the heavier side, but her wide beautiful long tailed light blue dress with hints of greens and pinks fit her just as lovely as it did in the summer. Her attendants back at the palace insisted she’d carried a shawl even though she felt very little cold. Her ocean blue and green eyes followed a path made by a small animal next to their little one.  With a swish of her hand she recreates the moving memories of the small fluffy creature guiding with patience their even tinier ball of fluff. When the little one would take a few hops it would find whatever excuse to stop and smell the snow. She let out a wistful smile as she remembered when her own litter reached that similar age, always stopping and exploring. She stroked her belly with mirthful anticipation as the recreation of lights continued through the open area.

A tiny beam of light lit the white powder, widening enough to be a door. Immediately upon spotting the opening an unsettling feeling brushed over the goddess. Without hesitation she looked up to a large cloud covering the indigo sky. Her suspicion was right, the clouds had opened without warning and two silhouettes cast their shadows. Her pace increased until she was bathed with the door’s light. She saw the whole thing, she knew what was happening and it made her heart race. She saw the noiseless explosion after the removal and the second figure falling. She yanked the shawl right off her back, folding it a few times before placing it over her arms. The falling figure rapidly descended towards her as the body regressed expeditiously to that of a small child. About twenty feet away the speed slowed down to a light drift and the small child had finally stopped reverting as an infant. 

The goddess wrapped the naked baby with her shawl. The baby made no noise, it just slept and she placed him over her chest. Another explosion without sound pierced the night spreading several little sparks further into the horizon. She looked up one last time to see the door close and just as quickly as it came the clouds disappeared.

Her gentle glow became brighter to see more details of the child. The little puff of hair was the exact color of her own. She brushed it back, adjusting the tiny head to reveal his mini features. Her heart grew heavy upon looking at his face. The little body gave a big yawn, the once light blond hair turned to a dark brown and as he opened his big round eyes the color of blue shifted to an ocean green blue just like her’s. She took a few broken deep breaths and held her infant tighter as tears ran down her cheeks 

 

———

 

A small red horse driven carriage was strolling through the forest. The carriage was adorned with golden stitch work and other kinds of fabric. The size of the inside fit two slightly above average human beings sitting across each other. When one side was not in use it made for a nice long leg rest. Both sides  of the carriage had two windows with curtains each  and two little sliding peek windows, one in front next to the driver and the other behind the young man.

With his head leaning on his hand, the siena brown youth looked outside the open curtain, bored. He had been traveling back to town for over a day and a half and the scenery was no longer alluring. His long ash brown curls were gathered to one side of his head so that the bouncy hair wouldn’t bother both sides of his face. The glistening reflection of the sun over the waters caught his attention. It meant he was close to home and the little rush of dopamine perks his mood. The thought of getting past the gates refreshes the landscape around him.

A spring breeze carries a feather in its gust, dancing in circles with the leaves as its companions. Moving every which way it had been riding the wind for a very long distance. Glittering and shining within the sun’s rays reflecting light from its vane. The young man takes in the last few minutes of the remaining forest. The sheen of the flirtatious plume caught his attention. At first he thought nothing of it, a few simple sparkles were easy enough to ignore, but as the feather’s incessant flash of colors drew its distance closer his crow-like tendencies heightened. 

He couldn’t take it anymore; the single plume had successfully seduced his curiosity. He opened the door of the moving carriage and latched his arm on the inside of the door frame. He reached out his hand, setting free most of his flowing locks to whisk behind him while the rest settled on his face. He moved his head vigorously left and right to keep the leftover strands from obstructing his view. Only one or two budged while the remaining stubbornly clung on like tentacles from an octopus. The twirling feather continued its waltz just a few feet away from its captor. He had enough of his hair and swiped the rest off his face, with time on his side he snatched the free loading plume from the breeze and stumbled back inside. 

The thud of the door closing caught the old driver’s attention. His half closed eyes that had been driving nonstop since they left their previous job peeks around the corner to see nothing has changed. He shrugs his shoulders and returns back to his position. 

He drops himself back onto his seat taking a few deep breaths. He places the feather in front of his mane where eyes would be. With a red tinted glow his hair parts and moves behind his broad shoulders. He sat up right on the seat cushion, narrowing his eyes on the now bland grey thing. He placed it in different shades of light to discern its secrets. In his discovery, the vane emitted a faint green and yellow illuminance in darker areas of the carriage, but once placed under the sun’s rays it looked to disappear and the grey color would fluctuate between green to yellow luster.

“Interesting…” His actions were not in vain, his lips parted to a grin as he pulled the open curtain closed. 

 

———-

 

A young man with natural brown skin walks down the vastly long and wide marketplace of Bhedon ki Ginati. His dark brown wavy hair parted on the Left side of his face. It draped down to the sides, each side clipped with a little bead just below his eyes. They were tied back with the rest of his hair in a ponytail, except for two strands that sat in front of his ears. His big wide oval eyes filled with excitement as he looked up and down at every structure and building. 

The shops and houses were heavily designed of different cultures and times from the human world. Some structures were based on ancient Indian culture, others of Chinese, there were splashes of Greecian and modern buildings that would clash the sense of culture, but the creatures and beings traveling in and out were just as out of place making it feel like a mixed pot of everything. There were giants of different species as big as the buildings roofs and tiny creatures that were as small as a grain of rice. Different skins and glows, shapes and sizes, physical and metaphysical, human like to mythical like creatures and beings wandered down the same road. Doors, portals, carriages, feet and other methods were used to enter and exit the grounds, as the busy street entertained many with its wooden street vendors to its artisan restaurants and cafes. 

 An unfamiliar scent dominated the air. The flavor it produced smelled so good, delicious in fact that it would give even the fullest of beings a bit peckish. The young man had not eaten breakfast that long ago, but he gave a long whiff and with its savory scent had made his decision. 

He handed the vendor a piece of silver as payment for the three long slices of meat smothered in a clear brown sauce. As he reached for the food a sudden pulse transmitted through his body. He took a deep breath, to fix his composure while trying to understand what just happened. Another pulse. This time the wave came stronger, causing him to take a few steps back, stepping on loose stones. 

The red carriage that was once distinguishable in the forest was now almost identical to every other red carriage with gold decor that passed through the market. The little cart was starting to sway. Inside, the curious young man continued to inspect the feather, its glow extending no further than a candle with a weak wick in the darkest of spots. As excited as he was with his new trifle at first, the amusement had gone with no new results and he decided to put it away. 

An abrupt burst of light filled the small dark space. Blinded by the flash he cautiously opened his eyes to look back to a now pulsing feather. He swiftly opens the curtains on both sides, switching back and forth to each window to find what it was reacting to. On the left, only carriages and carts passed through with the other merchants' stalls so far away, it would be hard to find anything it would be reacting to. On the right, he noticed his carriage seemed to be getting closer to the beings and creatures standing or walking beside the store fronts. He quickly jumps to the otherside of the cart and slides open the little window. The old man driving the carriage was driving with his eyes closed unaware of the surroundings while the horse was following close to a pair of elf-like beings carrying a basket of fruit and vegetables. The young man looked at the embarrassment unfolding and yelled at the old man “WAKE UP OLD MAN! Look where you’re going! ” 

The old man violently woke up and pulled the poor horse by force. The big animal forced into reared hind legs slides through loose dirt. Its forelegs flail in midair uncertain where to land. At the exact moment the old man pulled on the reins, the young man’s eyes shifted back to the right, spotting a brunette falling back. Without hesitation he shoves the feather in his robe, kicks the door open barely missing a fairy-like being and jumps off the still moving carriage. His bouncy long curls once again cover his face. He swiftly brushed his hair back and ran to the brunette. Luckily time was on his side, catching the other by their vest, he pulled hard lifting the smaller body before the horse’s feet hit the ground.

The younger man opened his eyes to receive a wide chest covered in loose fitted fabric, partially revealing his rescuer’s rich dark skin. Slight shades of red flushed through his cheeks as it was his first time being so close to someone other than a select few. His timid eyes peered up to look at the man who casually picked and held him close. 

The taller man’s hooded sharp eyes shift their gaze down to his surprised wide oval ones. The fiery orange red rubies seemed to clash with his calm green blue ocean. They both stared at each other for a while before the ocean’s waves shifted away bashfully. 

“Oh, uh, um…” The younger man mumbles as he places his hands onto the other man's chest adding distance between them. “Thanks… for… saving me?” 

“My driver fell asleep after a long trip and almost ran you over with my horse. I apologize.” The ruby eyed man said flatly.

The younger man looked around and took notice of how close the horse’s leg was. He placed his hand over the horse's black mane for a few seconds and then returned his attention with an innocent smile, “ whu, you’re right, that was really close! Thank you so much for your great kindness. If you'd like….” He trailed off, eyes gravitating down to the soft pulse coming from inside the other man’s robe.

The taller being took note of the smaller one's odd reaction as they spoke. His thirst for investigation rose and he started taking notes. First their gestures, simple, but calculated, Then their facial expressions, but before he could perceive anything, a familiar faint glow radiated from their skin. His hand instinctively reaches for the feather as his eyes darts down to his clothes. It was too late; the slim fingers had already pressed it against his baron skin. The younger man’s eyes flashed white.

Darkness surrounded the area and the once busy street turned to a mirror-like round room. Faint light surrounded the man. He observed his reflecting surroundings until he came upon another glowing figure. They had the same likeness as the younger man, but a few key features seemed to have changed. His long dark brown waves were now of ash blond and the blue green ocean eyes turned to sharp deep icy blue seas. The young innocent face changed to a tired, colder and defensive one. The curious man smiled, amused, as he broke the silence. “Where are we?” 

He closes his eyes and takes a deep inhale then looks once more at the excited man and lets out a deep sigh.  With an irritated robotic voice he opens his mouth and says, “Congratulations, you have found one of my feathers.” He pauses and glares daggers at the man who was finding this all amusing. Another deep sigh, “As for tradition with my kind, I must grant you a wish in exchange for my feather. The size or scale of your wish will be met by the amount of power the featherrr…s you have attained. When ready please tell me what your WISH is and I will provide it as best as I can,” 

“A wish for a feather?” The taller man said in delight. He pulls out the feather from the inside of his robe and begins to think to himself. Hmm… interesting… I’ve never heard or met a species that granted wishes for feathers before. Is it for every feather I get or only those that we touch? Now that I think about it, if they hadn’t pressed the feather on me we probably wouldn’t have been here. He began to pace, if only they weren't a humanoid being then I could do research to find out what kind of species they are without limits. Maybe make some new discoveries along the way! BUT if I were to lock up a humanoid being I would get in serious trouble when caught. His pacing increased as he fought his inner turmoil. 

The smaller man with his straight face looks at the man pacing back and forth with disgust. He has already developed an idea of what kind of personality the other has based on the reactions he gave earlier, but he had no other choice. His impatience grew thinner. “I don’t have all day.” He said. 

“Hm?” The ruby eyed man stops his pacing and faces towards the blond headed man. “Oh, I have two questions.” He proclaims “One, what kind of species are you? And two, what if I don’t have a wish?”

A tone of annoyance responds back “Then I’m afraid, you're going to have to keep my feather until you have a wish, I cannot take it back until a wish is granted. As for your first question I have decided to decline to answer it.”  

“Hmm, then does it matter what I wish for?”

The blue eyes gives another sigh. “unfortunately, it has to be something you cannot do with your immediate skills” 

“Hmm, then this puts you in a difficult predicament, wouldn't you say?” A mischievous grin ran across his face.

The younger man gritted his teeth with exasperation and said,“If you don’t have any Immediate wishes, you can always summon me. By saying my name three times without interruption. I will appear anywhere at any time.” 

The man enthusiastically begins to twirl the feather within his fingers. “Alright, then I will hold on to your feather in the meantime.”  He tucks the feather back in. Silence fills the air for a moment. “Well… are you going to tell me your name?”

He took a deep breath in filling them with regret and breathed out his name with what tiny bit of fortitude he had left, “Sera”

“Sera…” the long curly hair bounced as he paced once more. “Is that also your alternate personality’s name?”

“My?! How?!” Sera was caught off guard by the question, though on second thought it really shouldn’t have been that surprising. There is no mistake in noting that his other personality did less sighing, but to continue entertaining the other in this state was becoming too exhausting. “No, you can ask him his name after he wakes up and if you meet again.”

“Mmm…Wakes up?” He asked Intrigued.

“This space takes a lot out of our body. If you would be so kind, after I exit you out of here just leave our body somewhere safe, like in a safe alleyway or something that would be greatly appreciated.” 

Leave him unconscious somewhere….No regard for his body. Said if we meet again I can get his other’s name.  Based on his reactions, perhaps he doesn’t like me? Heh, well if that’s the case, I'll take this as a challenge.”  He chuckles to himself. Clearing up his throat he says . “It would be safer if I take you back to my place, I work at a detective agency, it’s very open. I'll give you a room.”

Sera rolled his eyes, “Wherever is fine, we just need to sleep.”

“Very well. Ah, wait!” Sera’s eyes take a sharp look at the direction of the ever curious young man ready to shoot daggers at any second. “I forgot to give you my name, it’s Samay.” He flashes a smile as if to reward the other for his new fixation.

Sera lets out a bothered breath then nods. Samay watches as the ground around him starts to fill back up with the busy market.  He looks for Sera’s body and realizes he was closer than he remembered. Before the unconscious body finally becomes limp he wraps one arm around the other’s waist and his other around the neck. The weight of the body pulls the bigger man down a bit. He picked the smaller one by his legs and back, to make it easier to carry. With his hair once again sliding on his face the ruby eyes look at the sleepy one that carries two personalities, the glow that illuminated his skin was now gone and so was the feather’s placed in his robe. He hesitates to take a step as apprehension fills his mind. If he continues with this his need for infinite learning will be satisfied, but this could also just as easily become a burden. He takes a moment to reflect and decides on the former, taking him back to his carriage.

 

—————-

 

Stomach pain began eating at the brown haired man's body. He grabbed his vest as he tossed and turned mumbling about runaway food. His stomach growled louder and louder until he couldn’t take it much longer. 

“Nnnhaa!” He jumped up, sitting himself up straight. His eyes shot open and yelled at the air, “Stop running! I’m….” He stares at the unfamiliar bed, then the wide walls filled with many nicknames, small creatures in cages, and bottles the bang and rattle. Waves of anxiety and foreboding courses through his body silencing the growls from his stomach. He pulled tighter on his shirt as he realized that most of the things in cages and bottles were moving, but none of the things on the wall were making any noise. He kept his breath under control even though it was hard to breathe and nausea settled in threatening to erupt. 

“Don’t worry they’re all mostly in there because they deserved it.” A voice said from the midst of the room. 

His head swiftly snapped towards the direction of the voice causing a bit of pain on the side of his neck, but he recovered quickly as he realized how wide and tall the room was compared to where he sat and the person sitting behind the wide desk. “Oh, uh, um… h-hello…” he projected as he climbed off the bed. “Uhhhm….”

“I picked you up after you fainted on the streets,” Samay said in a clear, crisp voice. He glances towards the young man while reviewing his documents. His hair was tied up in a bun with a few strands hanging from behind his ear. 

“Huh? Oh! Is that what happened?” The young man said nervously as each small step felt heavier than the other walking towards the desk while his eyes continued to roam the room.  “I- I tend to faint when I’m really hungry sometimes. So thanks for helping a stranger like me out!” 

Samay pulls out a hidden paper under his documents filled with notes. He writes down every reaction he sees. After the events that happened earlier in the day he had a hard time believing that the young man actually thought this, but the nervous ticks he was giving made it hard to tell. He decided to let it go. “Would you like a snack?” He pushed a plate of sliced apples closer to the edge of the desk.  The young man’s stomach growled again at the sight of the fruit. “I can treat you to dinner in a bit if you’ll be patient with me and let me finish this last paper.”

“Oh no!” He took longer struts unaware of his stomach lead. “I can go get my own dinner. I wouldn’t want to be a-“ He froze as his hand was close to taking a slice. He hadn’t noticed since everything around the room was taking up most of his attention, but the giant massive bird sitting on a thick log birch turned his face pale. 

At first the bird minded his own business, but as he caught a glimpse of the young man’s expression he couldn’t help, but desire more. “My, my” the bird said with an evil grin, turning his head to the other eye shining a purple glimmer. 

“DON’T!” The young man cowered under the desk covering his head with his hand. “Don’t do it. Don’t read my mind!”  He shakingly whispered. 

“Hmm, interesting,” Samay said as he finished taking more notes on the young man. He put the pen down and pushed the chair back to stand up. He brushed the massive birds feathers to stop him from torturing the poor boy. He asked “You know about the Fabuampluavis species?” 

“Of course I know about them! My mom has two places infront of her meeting hall! Fabuampluavis are really big bullies!” 

“Hmm, I’d say you must be giving them really cute reactions, if they tease you constantly.”  He walked to the edge of the desk where he met with the jittery body. 

The bird shifts on his log and with a wicked grin he says, “He is definitely someone very easy to tease, reactions like his are always fun to watch.” He shifted his weight again to get a closer look. 

“That’s enough, Ethelind, you’ve had your fun,” he reached his hand down to the young man. “My name is Samay, this is my bird Ethelind. I’m sorry for the late introductions, but the first time you fainted and this time I needed to finish this report as soon as possible.” 

“Huh? Oh! Uh, um, my name is Enzo.” The young man looked at the hand carefully before placing his hand on the other. He stood about chin height next to Samay. “It’s nice to meet you Samay and … Ethelind. Thanks again for helping me! If you ever need or want anything my mother is the Goddess Daifa and I’m sure she would be happy to repay you.” 

The goddess Daifa she’s a level 1 ranked god, I’ve never heard of her having any children…  He asks “Were you adopted into the family?”

“No! Everyone asks me that, but I have proof she’s my biological mother!” He said pouting in defense. 

Samay was starting to feel bad at how distraught the boy was experiencing in the last ten minutes. “Hmmm, well then shall I take you to your room?” Samay said to change the subject. 

“Huh?! Room? You’ve already done enough for me, there’s no way I can ask for more!” 

“No please, I insist” Samay led Enzo towards the end of the room, opening the door. The shadows on the courtyard landscape show silhouettes twice the size of their height stretching towards the east letting the world know it’s almost night time. “As you can see it’s almost dusk, I couldn’t possibly leave someone who recently fainted alone in a hotel.”

“Woah! How long have I been sleeping?!” Enzo’s stomach growls loudly as a reminder of his hunger. “Oh, um…” he leans his head down in shame as shades of red blossoms on his cheeks. 

“Don’t worry, I made sure dinner should be ready by now, why don’t we take your belongings to the room you will be staying in?” 

He shyly nods in agreement, “…Okay then. ” He looks up at Samay and lets out a sincere smile and says “thanks!”

“My pleasure….” Samay said with a plotting grin.

 

0