Positive Feedback Loop (4)
110 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's hard to write like this.. It was an unusual sight to see a warrior covering themselves in bandages, especially after leaving a dungeon. Most would only leave once they leveled up to make thier efforts worth something.  So while Lyn's days were unusual, it seemed like it could only get worse from here.

"Even after a whole day had passed, there's no signs of swelling but it won't heal no matter how I use any magic."

Lyn had resorted to enduring his pain, which became easier after the stat allocation, and living with the bandages. It wasn't professionally applied by any means but it got the job done.

Without a real budget, growing warriors could request small things like Beginner Loot Crates from the ACPP to get ahead quicker. It was just one of the many ways the ACPP constantly improved the lives of their protectors. However, this wasn't enough for Lyn.

Nevermind the spell not being powerful enough to close what looked like a scratch, it wasn't having even the smallest effect after having it activated for so long. Lyn stared at his wound for a moment before finally giving up and giving in to his anger.

"Shit.. what a waste of this month's crate. Do I really have to visit in person then?" The last time Lyn wne to show his face in public his noteriety was so high that the constant stares of the public wieghed him down. In that suffocating environment Lyn eventually came up with a stockpile of these crates, instead of being able to cancel the subscription since technically he's been a beginner hunter for longer than anyone. Ironically enough the help of the ACPP only became useful when he was about the graduate from the starting levels. 

The quality is so much better than it was before.. and now I'm losing out..

In any case, Lyn planned on going back to the ACPP in person to see what they could do about the wound.  If not them, then who could? He didn't have any crazy connections to a Saint, so Lyn too took the normal path of any hunter who had a problem bigger than them. Or at least that what he planned, but..

Why are the registration lines so long for 2 minute meetings?! 

Lyn would have to sacrifice another day to treat himself. There was no telling how the queue would change if he wen't out with Sunny or Ren, so like that another 2 days of research passed before Lyn could finally get what he wanted, but something even worse would occur just the night before his meeting.

. . . 

Sunny was alone in his home. For once, the quiet atmosphere didn't seem so welcoming. 

"Haah, have I been worrying too much these days? My hands are starting to shake from the anxiety again..."

He learned to always trust his instinct when something was wrong, and the crow always had pinpoint accuracy. So why can't I tell whats up with him?

'If you ask me I think he just doesn't know what to do with his freedom. It's one thing that meticulous guy never thought about now that I look back on it'

 Through texts, Sunny realized he Ren, although less keen on the fact that there was a problem brewing, also had her suspiscions about Lyn's behavior. Chalking it up to a puppy being off it's leash for the first time though she just advised Sunny to wait and watch. 

'If it's something he hasn't come to us about, then maybe we couldn't help in the first place.'

Ren tried to get Sunny to think a little more practically about the situation but Sunny didn't want to shake his feelings again. After that night.. he's been different. Even if he doesn't show it I can't just let it be. In spite of Ren's efforts, Sunny resolved himself to check on Lyn that night.

. . .

Lyn tried to recount his day but he couldn't focus.

I tried to forget about it, but shouldn't this have healed by now after everything?

Lyn examined his hand to see a small slit on his left hand. 

"Damn it. It's starting to hurt when my mana flows through it..."

Sssss-

Trace amounts of his energy flowed out. Hurridly, Lyn stopped pushing his Life Force, and inspected himself more closely.

"Aah- what the hell?" he stared at the unwelcomed changes, groaning every second it went on.

The slit had grown bigger. 

The Life Force curse.. 

Old worries once again crept up on Lyn, but he couldn't be sure. Life Force users always seemed to be lacking energy when they had pushed themselves, but there was no precendent for something like this. Unless they leveled up, which in turn the reward bonus revitalized them, warriors would eventually fall victim to their curse. When the experience needed got too large...

There would be nothing I could do..

"But why did the system not fix this..?" Lyn anxiously checked his status window.

Name: Lyn Cypher

Magic Type: Life Force
Skills: [Beginner's Construct] LVL 3, [Mana Burst], [Spark Barrier] LVL 2
Special Items: [Aura Bead] 
Race: Energy Being [Human-Based]

Level: 3

[The slowest growth curve I've recorded since my creation. Even if you lived a sheltered life just, what's wrong with you...]

"No status effects.. so it's 'Energy Being' then.."

Igonring the system's quip, Lyn grimaced. There was nothing he could do about his [Race] change. Even amongst his team, the trio decided it would be best to not worry about it, but now that it's come back to bite him Lyn could only worry about it's effects beyond some phantom pain.

Would eating the bead even help if it's beyond a magic type? Lyn decided against wasting the bead for now, and slowly pushed his mana again.

Mmmph!

Lyn groaned in pain as a green glow began to eminate from the slit in his hand. No, is it more like a crack now? He felt his Life Force escaping from the wound, but the weakness he should have felt never came. His mind raced.

Do I have it easier because of my vitality? Or because my endurance stat? Why isn't my own damn body in my control, you shitty system! Even if you're going to hurt me because I'm growing, how could you let an ability kill me!? 

Any Life Force user would eventually think like this but Lyn realized he wasn't like every other warrior of his magic type. There was no record of energy beings so Lyn placed all his hope in the double-edged sword. It was all he could do.

"So then will I be okay?" Anxiously, and into the darkness of night, Lyn continued experimenting on his own body.

. . .

"Has he been training all night?" Sunny approached Lyn's door but felt his mana thickly flowing through the air before he got close.  When he reached for knob he heard Lyn shout out.

"Wait! Just give me moment! Y-you wouldn't want to walk in on my- me like this!"

Sunny, imaging the worst, froze and backed away from the door. At least he warned me.. However on the inside, the situation was more chaotic than Sunny could ever guess.

. . .

My hand!

Lyn's dominant hand was completely covered in a green glow. It was more accurate to say his hand was built like his constructs he made the night of the dungeon raid.

A shout came from the door. One Lyn recognized immediately. "I just came by to say that we won't be hunting for a while. Oh and Ren asked me say 'If you're gonna sneak off on your own, nows your chance. Just don't get caught.'" Originally, Sunny would have waited for a response but his judment clouded by the taste Ren's cooking, had him in a hurry, especially being tired after coming over so early in his day.

Shit, don't leave me Sunny!

Lyn wanted to cry out, but he had no idea how to explain the situation.. at hand. Fortuantely he stopped feeling the pain that came with the transformation but the leak of Life Force would worry anyone who stepped in the room, especially his team after what they've been through. As if to record his  struggle the system notifications he has neglected throughout the night once again made themselves known.

 

[Your total energy limit has grown!]

[Your total energy limit has grown!]

[Your total energy...]

 

More?! I just need a glove! 

Lyn knew exactly what he need to do so, shoving his hand into his pocket, he ran as fast as he could to the ACPP. 

Surely they could make me a custom order! 

New quickly through together some simply guidlines with his shaky right hand.

Fully gloved... over the wrist... mana sealing!

Life Force users always requested mana sealing. In the past, the rise of the warrior community's collective strength resulted in many Life Force users requesting mana sealing stones and to be able to legally live the rest of their lives as citizens. It was nothing new for ACPP to grant these requests, eventually even opening the opportunity up to those who weren't willing to risk their lives on the battle field just because they came into power. It was truly a path for the insane, and on that path came insane circumstances, even for the ACPP who have truly seen it all.

Lyn knew his special circumstance might be him in with the ACPP, even without the influence of Sunn and Ren, but even with that, the ACPP would welcome him in open arms. Just in case though Lyn made sure to bring something they couldn't refuse.

Damnit, if I just had some more money.. In hindsight if he asked either of his teammates for money Lyn could have kept his ace without worry, but it was too late, in his mind, to regret the past.

"Shit, wait where's my hoodie?" Of course it wasn't as if the effect of the past was equal. Lyn made sure to cover up his identity thoroughly, because even if the his small bubble of three knew of his new found strength..

If the world knew that a rookie famous for being powerless came into the power of a Calamity.. 

Lyn didn't dare tempt the same people who mocked him so many years ago... yet.

Maybe I'll loosen the cursed bandage on his left hand and unleash the Black Flame Dragon to the world, just as a treat hehe

2