Chapter 9 – A Bug and a Dog on board
597 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

– POV Hestia –

The thirtieth day had finally arrived, but we had all been working so hard that the remaining fifteen days had flown by at an insane speed. However, as the fateful day approached, I felt my mind bubbling with excitement but also apprehension. I had shared this feeling with the others and as our lair, our home, emptied, the feeling had become even stronger.

[It's going to get dark soon...]

So today I found myself in the hollow tree that had served as our refuge for 10 years, alone in a large, totally empty room. This place full of memories, good and bad moments, represented perfectly our departure and what we were leaving behind. However, despite all this, despite my heart and my feelings, at this very moment I felt anything but sad as Mysie or Kali could be.

I wasn't able to feel sadness let alone my tears that had never flowed after the year I turned 10. I could feel anger, disgust, joy, excitement or even apprehension more than fear but real sadness, the kind that gripped your heart...impossible. The thing in my chest was not beating for those kinds of feelings anymore, turning me more and more into a being devoid of compassion.

So, I couldn't understand what most people felt at a time like this and more than being annoyed, I was rather grateful. The big departure was to take place tomorrow at dawn, this afternoon being the last one we would spend on the island where we had grown up. As I was thinking about many things at once, two purring-like sounds coupled with roars brought me out of my reverie.

*Purrrroaaar*

*Purrrroaaar*

Before I looked I already knew who the sounds belonged to as I suddenly felt two warm, soft bodies pressed against me. Finally lowering my eyes, two familiar white and striped silhouettes appeared in my field of vision. The tigers I had found a fortnight ago were near me and rubbing against my leg as if to warn me of their presence.

"You're dying to eat meat aren't you ? Me too fufu~"

Loki and Azeil had grown up well and during this fortnight I had realized that they were not just tigers although I did not know their exact race. In this world, while among humans only a few like my friends and I with gifts could feel the ambient energy, the animals were all capable of doing so. Was this pure magic ? No, but it was part of the mysteries of this world that could not be explained.

Loki and Azeil, being two males, were now about 70 cm high and even if they were only 40 days old, they seemed to be a year old. They were now almost hip high and the more they grew, the more they seemed to change. Loki was distinguished by a small crest of white hair while Azeil had a small crest of black hair on his forehead.

This way, it was easy to distinguish them even if I didn't need it to know who was who. Even if 15 days was relatively short, I had developed a real bond with my two tigers very quickly day after day. As hunting was also my way of earning money, I had taken them with me teaching them what their mother should have, creating a powerful and natural bond.

Just like with Seth, I had this inexplicable certainty that they understood me and that I understood them, and always a little more. My two new companions also had very distinct and relatively different personalities from each other, which never failed to amuse me. Indeed, Azeil was playful, clumsy and energetic while Loki was of a calmer, more observant and haughty nature.

"It's time to go and join the others. Patience, I promise you a good feast in a very short time."

I patted their heads with both hands before moving to the only remaining item in this large room that had been our living room. It was empty because everything had been moved to our homes being in the village, sold or taken away for our long journey. The only thing that remained was an old wooden chest, large and sealed with a chain that I had sworn to myself that I would only break on the day I was about to become Captain.

"That day came much faster than I expected, didn't it ?"

*Hiiiisss*

As I spoke, I stretched my arm so that Seth could wrap him around it before grabbing the rusty chain from the trunk to take it with me. Preceded by Azeil and followed by Loki, I walked towards the wooden door that I had broken many times in 10 years before leaving. The last light of the day was dancing in the dark interior and as I closed the door I stood still and silent for a moment.

I had to join the others who were waiting for me in the small cove where our ship was located for a last meal and a very special ceremony. However, once the door was closed I did not turn away, watching the dusk slowly disappear over the big tree. As I was finally about to leave, Loki and Azeil began to growl their way south through the dark woods that surrounded us.

Suddenly, noises were heard in the bushes barely 10 meters away from where I was, allowing me to locate the intruder's position. While the tigers were still growling but attacking, I quickly took out my hunting knife and threw it without hesitation. It went straight before disappearing into the darkness and planting itself deep in a tree as a voice I had heard before finally spoke.

"W-Wait, please !"

Not wasting another moment, I moved towards the voice which I reached within seconds to discover that there was not one person but two. Between the trees with thick foliage, there were two men, one of whom had fallen on his butt from the surprise. In front of me were Doggy and Buggy whom I had met a month ago at the Raven and whom I thought I would never see again in my life.

"Well, well, well~ Mr. Dog and Mr. Bug."

The puppy I had trained at the inn seemed to have regained the use of his fingers, but just like his big brother, he was missing teeth. This vision made me smile immediately as the two men, so imposing, began to tremble. Only the rays of the moon were shining on us and as Doggy hastily got to his feet, Buggy spoke again in a hesitant yet determined voice.

"C-Chief !"

[Chief ?]

"T-Take us with you for pity's sake !!!"

____

- POV General -

"Take you with me ?"

In the dense forest of Coven Island, near the lair of the 6 friends that Hestia had just left, two men were on their knees, foreheads to the ground. Douggy and Buggy who had met the young woman and her friends at the Raven had reappeared a month later and for a very particular reason. Abandoning all pride, all resentment and carried by their desire for adventure, the two brothers begged Hestia who had difficulty understanding.

They trembled, throwing discreet glances at Loki and Azeil who were still growling behind their master and Seth who was staring at them with his green eyes. Hestia was silent and savoring the moment, wondering what they wanted to talk about. It was not uncommon for her to see people she had corrected in the past apologize out of natural fear, but this was the first time she had been begged to join her.

"Explain yourself."

Placing a hand on the heads of her two tigers, the young blonde woman silenced them as she waited for a clear, crisp, and precise answer. Hestia had no time to waste but their behavior had intrigued her and titillated that unhealthy side that made everyone tremble. Smiling at the sight of two proud men kneeling before her made her heart race as Buggy finally spoke up to answer.

"D-During this month when we have been healing from our wounds, Douggy and I w-we have been watching you quietly, Chief ! W-We know you plan to leave the island soon and...and we would like to come with you ! P-Please excuse us again for...for our past behavior...we'll do what you want but please take us with you !"

Nudging his brother discreetly in the same position, Buggy hurried Douggy to speak before Hestia could speak. With the same shaky voice, the man nodded before sinking his skull further into the cold earth.

"P-Pardon Chief ! P-Please Chief ! We'll do whatever you want Chief !"

The wind blew softly through the forest as the two men, as muscular as gorillas, waited with great stress for the answer of the one they implored. Hestia had listened to what they had to say but her closed face did not change expression. She seemed to be thinking, her grey green eyes shining and reflecting the glow of the moon that was gradually disappearing hidden by the thick clouds.

"Why should I take you with us when you're just two unconscious little people who can't hold their tongues ? How can you be useful ? You don't even know why we are going, for how long and where, yet you choose the last moment to make your selfish request of me. Why ?"

"B-because..."

"Look at me when I talk to you."

More than answers, Hestia wanted more than anything to see their eyes when they were about to give her an answer. As if she could read people's real intentions, their true nature, the young woman never discussed without looking her interlocutors in the eyes, whoever they were. Raising their heads while remaining on their knees, they met the gaze of Hestia who looked down on them as if they were nothing more than insects.

"W-We also come from a family of pirates like everyone else on this island and...until we met you, we...we had never found the opportunity to experience anything else. To go on an adventure with people who can survive. After we met at the bar, more than a little pissed off...I...we...how can I put this..."

"We...we were impressed and f-fascinated ! I-I know it sounds weird but...we wanted to be under you at first...then we realized you were leaving with your friends. The desire to follow you...to follow a powerful person who is not afraid of anything became stronger and stronger, so...here we are"

During their explanations, Hestia had been sitting on a horizontal lying tree with her arms crossed, Seth around her arm, Loki and Azeil sitting on the sides. Douggy and Buggy were both very serious and she could see it in their eyes and was no stranger to this kind of behavior towards her. However, although she believed what they had just told her, the urge to test them was there.

"I refuse."

In reality, Hestia thought about their words, not because she liked them as real companions, but rather for their usefulness. She wasn't the type to treat those she didn't consider close as mere people but rather as beings she could take advantage of. It was all so sudden, but the young woman was not so stupid as to not consider their proposal.

So Hestia saw not two men but two ways to get her way more easily, and it didn't matter if they were a bug or a dog in her eyes. Douggy and Buggy were both built like gorillas and were rather imposing despite their current behavior. The journey she had decided to take was not going to be easy and to flatly refuse two men without a second thought would have been foolish.

"Chief ! Please ! W-We...it's...it's been our dream since we were little...to leave...we're willing to do anything that anything will ask !"

"Y-Yes ! You have our word, o-on our honor and our pirate blood !"

At the last words Douggy had spoken, Hestia raised an amused eyebrow at what he had just said considering the situation. She knew they were sincere but still hadn't forgotten what had happened at the inn. Getting up from the tree where she was sitting, the young woman approached the two men who had straightened up still on their knees. Speaking once again, she slowly circled around them like a tiger with its prey.

"Your word on your honor and pirate blood ? Will you do as I ask ? Will you still say that once you are on board ? Will you be able to obey like nice, wise puppies ? Do you think you will be useful to me ? How do I know you're not coming to get revenge for what happened at the inn huh ?"

Her eyes gleamed in the night and the sadistic, crazy smile that the young woman wore every time she had fun, had appeared on her face. With each of her questions, the two men nodded their heads with a determined air while they could not help but tremble as the feeling they had felt at the inn resurfaced. That same feeling that had driven the brothers to find the one who had beaten them was back.

"W-We're not trying to get revenge...our desire for adventure is much stronger than that. A...a bar fight in a pirate village is a common thing...we mean it."

"You have a point...if you mean it, then prove it to me !"

"Y-Yes Chief ! Anything you say Chief ! W-What should we do ??"

"Lick it."

Hestia who had sat back down on the tree trunk had presented one of her boots to the faces of the two men who did not seem to have understood. She looked at them with a satisfied look without saying a word, patiently waiting to see how far they were able to go for their "so-called" dream. It only took her 5-10 minutes to get to her friends so taking the time to play a little wasn't that big of a deal.

"Come on little puppies, show me how precious your dream is fufu~"

Against all odds, Buggy and Douggy after looking at each other, were still crawling towards the boot that Hestia had presented. A slight little smile that the young woman did not expect was even at the corner of their mouths. Was it because they were happily performing or because the idea of touching their dream with their fingertips was pleasant ? She didn't know and she didn't care because before her eyes, the two brothers began to lick her boot.

The sight sent shivers through her body and an even crazier smile than before spread across her beautiful and now almost frightening face. This is who Hestia Hellfire was, she didn't see two friends but two minions capable of doing anything and that was how she preferred human beings. Withdrawing her boot suddenly, the young woman began to laugh hysterically, more than satisfied with this.

"Pfffhahaha~ good boys !"

In her mind everything was already more or less decided and the idea of having the two brothers by her side for their departure tomorrow morning did not displease her. The young blonde woman knew for a fact that they didn't want to come for a revenge and knowing that they were a security in addition appealed to her. Four hands, four arms, muscles, handymen and fighters on top of that, so motivated, was anything but a bad idea.

"I see that you are indeed willing to do anything for this dream and I respect that...."

Hearing her words, a big holey smile appeared again on their faces while Hestia took back a cold empty voice. Her sudden change of behavior disturbed them, but at that moment they were much too busy looking forward to what was to come. Like two big children, their eyes were sparkling and Hestia could almost see two tails wagging behind them happily.

"...BUT I have to talk about it with the others. Although it's decided in my mind, you're also going to have to convince five other people fufu~ Not to mention that you're going to have to prove to us every day that your commitments have remained the same and that you haven't forgotten this moment."

"Y-Yes Chief !!! Thank you thank you !!!"

"You will remain our Chief no matter what ! T-Thank you !!!"

"And stop with the 'Chief' for kraken's sake ! I'm about to become a Captain, not a pastry chef from the store downstairs...tch !"

"A-Aye Captain !!!"

Sighing, Hestia finally got up whistling to wake up Loki and Azeil who had their heads resting on their paws and seemed to have fallen asleep. In an instant, the two tigers were up, startling Douggy and Buggy who were watching them out of the corner of their eyes as if to remain cautious. Returning to pick up the wooden chest she had left, the young blonde woman disappeared into the forest before giving her final instructions.

"See you tomorrow morning before the first light of the day where you know I imagine since you have been watching me for a month. Try not to be late, latecomers are useless to me and above all...not a word of this to anyone !"

"Anything you say, Chi-Captain !"

"Mmh Captain !!!"

The two brothers had leaned forward again and again as a sign of respect before running in the direction of the village to gather the things they had already prepared. As for Hestia, she had already disappeared accompanied by her two white tigers and white snake. As she headed west towards the creek, only a few words she spoke rose to the top of the trees before disappearing, carried away by the wind.

"This promises to be interesting fufu~"

16