Chapter 12 – Sword and departure
468 0 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- POV Hestia -

The first light of the day had appeared on the beach of the small cove west of Coven Island announcing our departure. The night had been full of emotions and for the first time the sun was rising on a brand new Captain and her crew. During the night, the first step of my biggest dream had taken place and in a few hours, Lucas, Kali, Mysie, Edward, Joe and I would set sail.

The others were gathering everything we needed on the beach before loading it all onto the little ship that would now serve as our home. Loki and Azeil were asleep by the unlit fire and Seth was curled up in the middle while I was sitting on a log right next to them. I hadn't slept all night, it had to be said that I didn't sleep much, but this time no alcohol, no woman had kept me awake.

Just knowing that I was going on an adventure was enough to keep me awake while my friends were all resting before the trip. With my mother's notebook in my hands, I thought about our first destination, which happened to be a city called Belfort. I didn't know if following the route my mother had taken a few months ago was a good idea, but it would allow us to discover many things.

In Belfort was a manor house called Kokosnuss owned by the Lord of the city where a map showing the location of a hidden island was supposed to be. My mother had been there and wrote in her diary that she had kept the Lord and his wife busy while her crew's mapmaker broke into the treasure room. Once inside, he had copied the map before they all left without being caught.

This map was supposed to lead us to a hidden island of very special dimensions, but my mother had not given any more details than that. In fact, a few passages from her notebook were missing, covered by dried blood stains that had sunk. I had decided to follow the most recent track of her ship, which by chance started a week out to sea from our island, that is : Belfort.

"Hestia ?"

While I was deep in thought, Lucas' voice suddenly rang out beside me, making me look up. Despite the ceremony, none of my friends had ever called me Captain again and for a very good reason. As long as we were on Coven Island they continued to call me by my name until I stepped onto the deck of the ship.

"All set ?"

"Yes, we can leave once the two new ones arrive."

As I had explained to my companions, Douggy and Buggy would join us in our adventures, representing a significant additional force. However, to tell the truth, all I expected from them was unlimited loyalty and unfailing helpfulness. Like handymen, the two brothers had yet to prove their sincerity and determination to me throughout our perilous journey.

I knew that trust within a crew was very important and I did not intend to treat them unfairly despite what had happened in the inn. Of course I had played with them a little, but rather than being unfair, I was going to be uncompromising and as firm as steel. I didn't care if it was going to be complicated for them because it was their choice and while I started to answer Lucas a voice cut me off.

"It shouldn't be long before..."

"H-Huuh...C-Captain ?"

The hesitant voice of Buggy, the older of the two, rose from behind me as Lucas, across from me, froze. Quickly realizing that something strange was going on, I turned around to come face to face with the two brothers. They were there as we had agreed, but these two fools were not alone because some people from the village were also right behind them.

There was David Groks, the owner of the Raven Inn, Mysie's parents, women I had previously seduced, the butcher and acquaintances of all these people. In total there must have been 20 of them and the mere fact of seeing them was already beginning to irritate me because it was not part of my plans. I wanted to avoid long drawn-out goodbyes that were totally useless to me.

A very strong urge to ask the two brothers for explanations started to grow in my mind as I remained silent. Were they so stupid, unconscious and useless as to break the first order I gave them ? These two big muscles were not going to do me any good if they were unable to follow the orders I gave. In their case they were absolute, indisputable and above all they had to be applied to the letter.

[What a waste of time...tch...!]

"Hestia...first know that Douggy and Buggy had nothing to do with us being here..."

As I was about to speak to the two brothers, Grandpa Dave stepped forward to speak, probably guessing what was going through my mind at that moment. He had apparently for some reason discovered that we were planning to leave today. Crossing my arms and standing up to face the visitors completely, I squinted before answering in a firm and exasperated voice.

"So tell me old man, why are you all here ? How did you know we were leaving today ? Tch, to think we would have curious little ones. I'll warn you right now, don't expect an emotional goodbye from me."

Nodding to Lucas, I indicated that we still had a few minutes while Kali, Mysie, Edward and Joe also approached. Then nodding to the two brothers, they rushed with their things behind me and the others to wait patiently like two soldiers. Seeing that I was finally ready to listen, the old man continued where he had left off.

"To begin with, I understood that you wanted to keep your departure a secret, but Hestia, almost the entire village knows about it despite our small numbers. Did you really think that gathering money and stuff for a ship to leave would be discreet ? Nothing escapes me, Hestia, and those who are with me are those who were most anxious to see you go. Since your secret has been discovered and we are here I..."

"Ara~ Don't get me wrong, Grandpa, I didn't think you would miss it, I just didn't care. You could well understand that we were leaving it didn't really matter, only not from my mouth or my crew's."

"Hahahaha~ you are indeed your mother's daughter, frighteningly honest. In that case, could you please give us all at least 10 minutes before you leave ?"

I didn't like the term "honest", it couldn't completely define me because yes I had no problem lying or manipulating without scruples to get my way. However, as crazy as it may sound I also told the truth, even if it could break hearts and hurt. With me there were no half measures and as I blew my breath, I gave my agreement because it was already too late to refuse and this old sly fox knew it.

"Sigh, well since you're already here anyway, do as you please. But make it quick, in ten minutes we're gone."

"Hestia wait !"

As I turned around and shook my hand with a disinterested look, taking a cigarette out of my pocket, the old man once again called me. For some reason I knew this was going to happen and that I wouldn't be able to escape the goodbye. Raising my eyes to the sky, I turned around once again. My companions were already talking to the others while David and the girls were standing in front of me.

"Can I talk to you ? And then it seems to me that these young women are here for you too."

"You are quite chatty today, old man...sigh...very good."

_____

While Joe, Mysie, Edward, Kali and Lucas were talking with the others, I was further down the beach with David and eight women I knew well, waiting a few meters away. I was curious to know what he had to tell me and as I sat on a rock nearby, I waited. He seemed to want to tell me something important if he had moved and despite my irritated expression, I wanted to know.

"Hestia...here."

Before I could think of anything, Grandpa was grabbing something on his back that I hadn't seen at first. Despite his age, he was quite tall, imposing with big shoulders and those who did not know him could easily feel oppressed by his presence. In just a few seconds, he was untying an object that he had on his back, long and wrapped in a brown cloth.

"I wanted to give you this before you left"

"What is ?"

"Unpack it"

Taking the mysterious thing with a frown, I began to gently remove the cloth that was held together by red threads. Why did the old man have something to give me ? I didn't understand and as I finished removing everything, I discovered a magnificent weapon. A sword that looked like a large hunting knife with a curved tip and an engraved wooden handle, curved in the opposite direction.

The blade was a shiny black and even without using it I knew it could cut my finger easily if I got too close. The weapon also had the particularity of having a protrusion at the guard level protecting the hand of the wielder. To be honest, it was the most beautiful one I had seen but as my eyes landed back on the handle, an "H" caught my attention.

[It's...]

The same letter engraved on my tricorn, my ring and the dagger we used for our pact...the H of Hellfire. In an instant my brain went into overdrive as owning items belonging to another family was not tolerated with exceptions. My mother would never give it to him...or maybe she would ? All I could see was that this old man had a beautiful weapon belonging to the Hellfires.

Without even thinking for a second, I dropped the weapon before pulling out my hunting knife and throwing myself at him to pull his nose out. In an instant I found myself in front of him, my knife at his throat and my eyes burning with anger plunged into his. He had moved only a few centimeters to catch the blade that I had left with two fingers and while he opened his mouth to speak, I was ahead of him.

"I-..."

"Why do you have such a weapon with you ? Speak up before I kill you for violating one of the moral rules of our village !!"

"W-Wait, I didn't break any rules, your mother entrusted it to me."

The old man held my gaze and even though I could feel his breathing slowing and his throat tightening, he answered me without hesitation. Having learned to read people's eyes, I knew he wasn't lying, but I needed more arguments to convince me. I was impulsive but certainly not ready to kill the one who had seen me grow up without a good reason. However, I wanted explanations and quickly.

"She entrusted it to you ? Nonsense. Why didn't she leave it in our house ?"

"Your mother didn't want you to find it. But... *cough cough* first could you take your knife out of my throat, Hestia ?"

"Tch !"

Pulling the blade away from his neck, a small trickle of blood ran down his Adam's apple as I tucked it into my belt before slumping back onto the rock. The sound of the waves roared behind me and the wind whispered in my ear as I waited, inhaling puffs of tobacco. Clearing his throat and gently massaging his neck, the old man continued his explanations.

"I don't know what's so special about it, but Diana Hellfire entrusted it to me in the hopes of giving it to you personally the day you left. Understanding that this was the case today, I had no choice but to give it to you myself. I don't have any other answer to give you because I don't know any more, but it's the truth."

"I know..."

I didn't like the idea that my mother hid the existence of a weapon that seemed so...perfect, but it was the truth. What else was she hiding from me ? Was I going to discover new truths about her on my journey ? Grabbing the handle of the black sword that Grandpa Dave was handing me, I sighed at the thought. Five minutes had already passed and I didn't have the strength or the inclination to think about it right now.

"Well, that's all I wanted to give you so now I'll go. I hope that whatever your reason for leaving, you will be able to reach your goal and come back here all alive."

"Thanks, Grandpa and...sigh...sorry."

"Woow~ to think that Hestia Hellfire would thank me and apologize ! Pfffpfff~ this day is indeed very special it seems hahahaha~"

"Don't overdo it, old man, and if I were you I wouldn't laugh so hard, I don't plan to see you croak on the beach from a heart attack."

Looking up at the sky, I instinctively grabbed a new cigarette from my pocket and threw it to him. Still laughing so hard that it irritated my ears, David lit it with a big smile before starting to walk away. However, after the first big puff, the old man started to spit out his lungs, surprised by the power of the tobacco I used to smoke, giving me a haughty and satisfied laugh.

"COUGH COUGH COUGH !!!"

"Pfffhahaha~"

"Aaarg ! For the kraken's sake Hestia, are you smoking glowing lava ??"

Smiling with all my teeth I didn't answer as he coughed and walked away after throwing my cigarette on the fine sand. Seeing that he had finished talking to me, the eight women behind began to approach with tears in their eyes. Then, as David passed them, he would turn around one last time with a smile that I would not forget to tell me words that I would only understand a few hours later at my own expense.

"Oh and Hestia, save that bloody temperament for what lies ahead, you'll need it because… the pirate life is fraught with pitfalls and dangers. I know what you're like and I don't doubt your ability to be a feared and respected Captain. However, remember, there will be times when all seems lost, so...for your friends...your crew and those you've sworn to protect, never hesitate to unleash the monster within you."

"..."

"The day you have to face that wrath...release it and become a true demon. I watched you grow up, I know who you are and I know that you are probably the only one who can become a Legend like we have never known on this island. The day that thousands of voices echo your name across the seven seas, I will be there to listen."

"So don't die, old man"

"Hahaha~ I don't intend to !"

Without saying another word, David walked back in the direction of the forest without looking back once but having engraved his words in my mind. There were only a few minutes left before we left and as my friends finished, I was about to say goodbye to those eight beautiful women. I didn't know how long we would be on the ship but one thing was for sure, I wasn't going to say no to their warmth.

____

- POV General -

The goodbyes were over, Hestia had spent another 10 minutes consoling those who had come to hug her one last time. There was Chloe, Tina, Emily and many others with whom she used to spend time, married women, prostitutes, sisters, merchants...all had come. Now they had all left, all their belongings were on the ship just waiting for them to leave.

"Good ! For the presentations we'll see that later we've already lost enough time as it is with all the unexpected visitors. It is now time to leave !"

All were aboard the ship, which was standing on huge logs that would allow the crew to float it. Without further ado, once again, Hestia slipped her coat over her shoulders and put her tricorn on her head with a big smile. Seth still on her arm whistled happily while Loki and Azeil purred with pride both on either side of the beautiful young blonde woman.

"At your command Captain !”

The seven members of her crew had all straightened up instantly, stamping their heels on the wooden floor, bringing another smile to Hestia's face. Then, without warning, she ran and jumped over the rail of the sloop before landing on the sand. Her companions remained silent knowing what the young woman wanted to do and it wasn't long before they felt the ship move.

Hestia had placed herself at the stern and put her two hands on it before taking a deep breath for what she was about to do. Pushing with all her strength, the beautiful blonde alone was moving the sloop which was sliding gently on the big logs making a huge noise. The wind blew strongly as if to support them at the time of their departure and while the ship was about to touch the water at last, their adventures could finally begin.

21