Chapter 18 – Wrath and gifts III
439 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- POV General -

The wind was blowing from East to West on a rather calm sea while the sun was starting its daily descent towards the infinite horizon. Gradually, the perfect blue sky began to turn a soft orange, like a mirror tinting the water a different color. The view was incredibly beautiful and yet, where two ships were facing each other, no one was watching this magnificent scene.

Indeed, the confrontation that had started a while ago was continuing after a big turn of events that the naval officers were not expecting. The eight pirates they had surrounded and taken prisoner had all suddenly risen to fight. Not only had they risen, but they had shown great strength, which they had drawn from their natural gifts and energy.

Thus, the Lieutenant who thought he was executing a young Captain and taking seven pirates to be hanged, had fallen on hard times in the face of unforeseen events. Hestia had started by killing fifteen of his soldiers on her own, followed by Edward who had taken care of four. There were only ten soldiers left to fight, not counting the Lieutenant, five near Mysie and Kali, two against Lucas and three against Joe.

For the first time, the group of friends had mixed natural energy without even realizing it and could use their respective gifts in a way that was not passive. The mistake their Captain had made might not have been a mistake at all, because at that very moment, the crew would shine. No emotion was stronger than what they all felt and as one family driven by revenge, the Hysterics were determined.

On the port side stood a young man with beautiful long hair, as big as his heart and his kindness to his companions. However, this endearing side was not visible because the endearing aura he usually gave off was replaced by a much more violent and powerful one. Lucas, like all the others, was determined to participate and put an end to this situation which had started very badly for them.

"Enjoy your last moments of life because in a very short time, none of you will be around to see a new day dawn."

With a sword in his right hand and his pistol on the left side of his belt, the young man had spoken with a voice devoid of any empathy or hesitation. He too was about to kill for the first time, but that fear that was supposed to invade every human being when the time came to take a life was not there. At least not yet, because at that moment, anger overcame any rational and usual emotion.

"Let's kill him to get a promotion !"

"Yes ! Too many of our comrades have fallen !"

Not paying attention to the massacre that was taking place next to them, the two officers who were in charge of him smiled menacingly, confident of their victory. But Lucas, in spite of his anger, was concentrated and held his sword firmly in his hand, ready to act at any moment. A few seconds later, the two officers attacked at the same time, coming from both the right and the left, brandishing their weapons to bring them down on the young man.

They each targeted the heart and head as they were the vital points that needed to be reached if they wanted this to end quickly. As he was very tall, it was not difficult to target these places in Lucas but still had to be able to reach them. Indeed, a few seconds later, the pirate with the long hair slipped his feet on the deck in a way to be able to counter the attacks which arrived on him.

*clang clang*

With two precise movements, extending his arms on either side, Lucas parried the two blows with his sword and pistol, which he had quickly pulled from his belt. The iron of his two weapons clashed with the blades of the two officers, blocking them instantly. Seeing this, the two Navy men did not wait any longer before raining down sword blows on the pirate in the hope of hitting him.

The two counted once again on his size which they saw as a weak point to trap him but they were going to quickly disappoint. Indeed, in spite of his corpulence, Lucas had no difficulty in parrying each blow moving with an ease and agility that should not be possible. However it was the case and when he did not return the attacks, he dodged them perfectly.

"H-How ?"

Lucas' strength was not as great as Edward's, let alone Hestia's, but his gift made him more versatile than anyone else. Although his eyes had turned red from anger, amplifying his strength, he was still very agile. The two officers didn't have time to understand how this was possible when the long-haired pirate was already counter-attacking to end it all.

*BAM*

Suddenly tapping his foot on the wooden deck, he propelled himself towards the first man whose sword was already pointing in his direction. Tilting slightly on his right side, he avoided the blade which came to make a light cut on his cheek before arriving at full speed on his opponent. With a quick and powerful movement, Lucas sliced the officer's torso, causing blood to gush from the deep cut.

"Aaaarg !!!"

Not giving the other one time to retaliate, just as Edward had done before, the pirate grabbed the falling body of his victim before it fell to the ground. Using it as a shield, he now rushed at the second whose face showed only panic. While he fired his pistol to hit only the lifeless body of his comrade, Lucas was already reaching his level in an almost supernatural silence.

Throwing his improvised shield to the side as if it were a simple object, he stooped to swing his foot into the legs of the man mowing him down. As he fell to the ground, Lucas got up to grab him by the collar before he hit the wooden boards. Whereas the officer started to beg, the young man with the eyes colored blood did not tremble and took the barrel of his pistol under the chin of the unfortunate before shooting.

*BANG*

"You paid for what your stupid Lieutenant did to Kali."

While Lucas had just killed his third man and finished his fight, the confrontation with the Hystericsl crew and the Navy was not over. Indeed, a little further to starboard, it was Joe who was facing three men. Contrary to his two companions, while the roots of his hair had become black, he was not in a fighting posture at all.

Joe stood straight, motionless, calm, the back of the long coat he wore over his shoulders flying in the wind. The three officers surrounding him could have pounced on him at any moment, but the aura he gave off dissuaded them. The silver-blond pirate may not have been in a defensive posture, but his nonchalance was frightening enough. However, it was also irritating and only a few seconds later, they decided to act.

"Are you underestimating us because you've awakened your gift ?"

"He doesn't have a gun, let's go !"

"Yes ! You dirty pirate, you'll see !!"

As the three of them suddenly rushed in from all sides, armed with daggers and swords, Joe opened his eyes just as suddenly. At that moment, the ominous aura he gave off was confirmed as his eyes seemed to move in all directions. His eyes were watching everything at great speed and for the first time Joe could feel the difference since his gift had finally awakened fully.

The strength of Hestia's companion was not in his strength, speed or agility, but in his intelligence and analytical skills. Indeed, the Sailing Master of Cerberus possessed a very sharp mind capable of analyzing every situation and finding a solution. His real weapon was his intelligence, and since his Awakening, its effects had increased tenfold, making him a true reasoning machine.

Everything on the deck of the merchant ship was happening very fast, but Joe could see everything in slow motion because his mind was working so fast. With a single glance he could predict the trajectory of attacks and with the help of tilt and speed he could predict the damage if he was hit. Of course, this was only the visible side of his ability but it was enough to finish the fight in record time.

"Wh.."

The companion of the beautiful blonde had no weapon, but to underestimate him was a serious mistake because his weapon had neither a sharp blade nor the smell of gunpowder. Clenching his fists, Joe waited for the last second, the moment when everyone was going to touch him to finally move. With a grace and elegance never seen in a fight, he avoided each blow before counter-attacking and finishing quickly.

Using the strength of the first one, he kicked his sword and it flew high into the sky before coming up behind him and twisting his neck. The second one was already coming but it was not a problem because Joe turned around very quickly and joined his two hands. With a powerful and precise blow, he slammed his fists on the head of the man who was propelled on the deck before smashing his face on the ground killing him on the spot.

"You should have stayed down like good dogs !"

Jumping a few meters to avoid blood staining him, Joe landed a little further with ease, silent and still as calm. There was only one man left, but as if he didn't exist anymore, the pirate was dusting his clothes with the same nonchalance as at the beginning. Turning on his heels after a few seconds, he hadn't taken three steps when the still-living and indignant officer shouted at him.

"Y-You think you've won that you don't even bother to look at me or fight me ?"

"It's already over."

"You son of a..."

*SLASH*

Before he could even finish his sentence, the sword of his companion that Joe had sent in the air a few seconds ago, had fallen back on his head. With gravity, the blade had sunk deep into his skull before coming out at the level of his chin, cutting his tongue in the process. The officer had been right where Joe wanted him to be, which allowed him to predict his death before he even finished his sentence.

“Told you.”

So, as the pirate walked away and the body of the unfortunate man joined the other two, more than half of the Navy had been defeated. All that remained were the eight merchants, the Lieutenant and five officers who were near Mysie and Kali. It had all happened so quickly, and to see how much the attack on the Quartermaster and the Awakening of the Crew's gifts had changed the game was almost beyond belief.

Hestia, on the other hand, was still at the end of the ship and although she did not take her eyes off the Lieutenant, she had observed very carefully what had happened. She was still seething with strength and bloodlust, but she was conscious enough not to go crazy. The Captain of the Hysterics watched patiently as she also wanted to see what her crew was capable of and it was Mysie's turn.

Hestia was ready to act at a moment's notice, faster than anyone else on this ship, but her instincts were screaming at her to wait and see what would happen. Like Joe, Edward, Lucas, Mysie had awakened her gift and was ready to do anything to protect her friend still lying on the ground. Wielding her bow, she faced five men who were approaching to kill or capture her as the Lieutenant had ordered.

"Stay away !"

The young woman stood there alone and even though she was shaking slightly, she was determined to protect the one she would consider her sister. She had never had to face a situation like this before and at this moment, Mysie was the only one of the Hysterics to feel fear. Yet she did not move, her legs trembled slightly but her arms that held the bow were as still as the calmest of oceans.

"Hahaha~ young lady, you are shaking. Put down that bow and stop playing pirates"

The officers had not yet seen what had happened on the deck with their comrades and one of them had raised his voice in mockery. The others had followed suit with a sneer, far from feeling threatened by a trembling little mouse, gift or no gift. At his words, Mysie's grip on her bow grew stronger as she gritted her teeth, unsure if she could really defeat them alone.

Yet she didn't have to think and even though fear was present, her anger and desire to protect those she cared about were even stronger. Taking a deep breath, as if guided by her instinct, the beautiful young woman opened her mouth, not to speak but to sing. A melodious tune escaped from her lips, carried by the wind and the power of the sound she was singing under the questioning eyes of the five men.

They did not understand why Mysie started to sing, but as they started to smile again to catch her, they all found themselves unable to move. As if paralyzed, the young woman's voice was so beautiful, so melodious that they found themselves unable to touch her. The officers didn't know it, but it was Mysie's gift, like a mermaid, her voice was her weapon and although not very powerful, it was enough.

"Now !"

Hestia who was still watching in the distance had shouted a single word to her friend making her react as quickly as possible. Stringing her bow, taking advantage of the brief moment of absence of the officers who had laughed at her, Mysie fired a first arrow into the forehead of one of them, bringing it out the back of his skull. Without stopping, she grabbed a second arrow from her quiver to aim this time at the heart of the second with precision.

"T-Three left"

The young Cerberus bard had single-handedly killed two men, and the moment she unleashed her arrows, she felt the urge to vomit. She had killed for the first time, and unlike the others, this realization had shaken her with a violence she did not suspect. Yet Mysie had to go on, she had to shoot three more arrows to finish and avenge her friend as she had promised herself.

"Y-You can do it."

It was easier said than done, for her arms, which had been motionless until then, began to tremble at the thought of killing. It was natural, it was human, and she couldn't control anything being faced with these emotions for the first time. As Mysie muttered to herself, she didn't see that one of the three men had started to move again. Her gift was only powerful enough to stun them for a few seconds and her hesitation had taken too long.

"Y-You !"

The officer who was almost in her blind spot then threw himself on her armed with two curved daggers to hit her in the back.

*BAM*

However, he didn't have time to reach the young woman that a whip was wrapped around his ankle to make him fall. Mysie who was paralyzed with fear turned her head quickly towards her friend not really understanding what had happened. Kali who until now had been motionless, fainted on the ground had in turn risen, awakened by the melodious voice of her friend.

Armed with her whip and two daggers, she smiled, unable not to after witnessing Mysie's determination. She who was afraid to take a life had taken two for her life and the thought of not helping her carry the burden was her own motivation. Joe, Edward, Lucas and Hestia who were still watching the scene also had smiles on their faces, proud of the courage the two young women were showing.

"Together ?"

"Together."

Of all the Navy officers there were only three men left who were no longer in the mood to smile or even laugh. However, Mysie's trembling had stopped thanks to her friend and Kali who had not yet taken any life, was animated by the love that everyone had shown to avenge and protect her. So, suddenly, the roots of her hair turned from brown to dark red in an instant proving that she was ready.

"Mysie back off !"

She had shouted these words because the last three men were already coming on them and Kali was not unaware that in hand-to-hand combat, Mysie had no chance. Obeying her friend, whom she trusted, the young bard prepared her bow by jumping back. Closing her eyes, the wounded young Quartermaster whirled her whip in the air before swinging it at her opponents.

Kali kept her eyes closed because her gift lay in her hearing, which was much more developed than average, allowing her to hear every sound precisely. It was still in its infancy but it was enough to overcome the men who made loud sounds that were difficult to miss. Each step, each breath, each noise allowed the young woman to visualize the position of her opponents almost perfectly.

With her whip, she slammed it into faces, arms and legs, drawing cries of pain from all sides. Then, once she was sure that she had sent two of her opponents to the ground, Kali threw her two daggers in their direction before they could be stuck in their throats. As if on cue, Mysie, who had stayed behind, once again fired the last arrow that would end the fighting.

*BAM*

In less than five minutes, together, the two young women had defeated their five opponents under the proud eyes of their friends. Thus, the six companions who had awakened their gift had defeated the thirty officers who had wanted to kill Hestia and take the others prisoner. Together, driven by their anger, their desire to protect each other, and their powerful bonds, they had made the impossible possible.

Everything had not necessarily started well for them, but at that moment, the victory was clear, the Hysterics had won, leaving only the Lieutenant and the eight merchants trembling like leaves.

14