Chapter 37 – Dear Diary
225 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

– POV General –

It had been five days since the Hysterics left Belfort City and three days since the Manahime sisters began their investigation. The Cerberus was still on its way to the city of Gaze, located south of the Western Seas on the neutral continent that belongs to neither the Royalty nor the Navy. In those five days, much had changed and the crew had never been so exhausted in a long time.

"NOOO LET GO OF ME !!! Don't throw me overboard, please my dress is expensive, I don't want to get it wet !"

"Then you better swab the deck, scallywag !"

"But are you a deaf pirate or what ? I told you I didn't want to get my dress wet, what do you think will happen if I...OKAY OKAY I WILL TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID !"

This morning, it wasn't the Captain's guitar ringing through this desert of waves but the screams of a young girl hanging upside down. Achi was threatened to be thrown overboard by Lucas who had grabbed her ankle and held her over the rail. As had been the case during those days, the chores that Achi had to do were the subject of conversations that almost always ended up this way. 

"Alright then be a good girl and do as you're told, next time you'll end up at the bottom in Davy Jones' locker. Got it, fish bait ?"

 

"What...what do you mean ??"

 

"It means that you'll end up at the bottom of the ocean !"

"Tch..."

Setting the young noblewoman down on the deck again, Lucas crossed his arms, waiting to see if she really understood. Dusting off the luxurious dress she had found in the hold and put on despite its impracticality on a ship, she grabbed one of the brooms to start scrubbing. In reality, Achi didn't have much of a chore to do, but as someone who hated dirt as much as she loved money, it was still a real ordeal.

Seeing that Lucas was moving away to do what he had to do, the girl was sticking her tongue out at him, sulking but continuing to scrub. She who had always done everything during these five days to remain as clean as she could surrounded by these "dirty pirates", her plans were always ruined. Once again unable to resist the temptation, Achi stuck out her tongue again before a voice above her sounded.

"For a noble you are very wild in my opinion~"

Mysie perched on the rope ladder leading to the crow's nest had watched the whole scene and obviously couldn't help but comment. Her red hair flew in the wind with the speed of the ship, her amber eyes carrying a glint of mischief in them. As always she was scanning the horizon especially since five days had passed and they would soon see Gaze appear in the distance. 

"Wild ? Depends on who you're with, at least you're not bullying me..."

"Well most of the time I'm the one being teased, let's just say it's nice to see that the others have found a new victim. But don't get me wrong, it's a real pleasure to witness all this hahaha~"

For Mysie who was often the target of others for her hilarious and always dramatic reactions, Achi was a blessing that attracted all the attention. For the past five days she had been doing nothing but watching and had discovered the funny side of watching someone else get bullied. At her remark, the broom girl was about to retract what she had said when another caught her by surprise behind her back.

"Mysie, we have to feed the animals, it's your turn and I don't have time. I have to join the Captain and the Sailing Master so stop chattering for a bit unless you want to do it, Achi ?"

"W-well, I...I'll pass."

"I'll goooo~"

Kali the ship's Quartermaster had appeared summoning her friend to go take care of the beasts that had boarded with them five days ago. Still under the stairs, a little less fearful but still wary, the exotic creatures were content to observe in silence. For the crew, although rare, these animals were for the moment useless, but they had the hope to be able to train them and use their potential.

Thus, it was necessary to feed them and to establish a climate of trust, although Hestia was not concerned, the animals being too afraid of her for some unknown reason. So the captain took care of her two tigers and her snake personally, leaving the rest to the others. Mysie, who knew all this, grabbed a rope and ran like a monkey into the hold to get what they needed to eat and drink.

"You know, keeping your dress on only makes you uncomfortable, if you want to wear something more comfortable it's possible and much more practical, don't you think ?"

"I'd love to wear pants like all of you but the only ones you have are all dirty, worn out so there's no way I'm putting my sweet legs in that rough fabric."

Even though Achi acted like a brat most of the time, for pirates like Hestia's crew, she was actually more fun than boring. All of her reactions were hilarious and it wasn't wrong to say that the young noblewoman was playing it up a bit, appearing strangely cute in spite of herself. Kali who had anticipated this answer shrugged her shoulders smiling before moving away to fulfill her role of Quartermaster, winking.

"Sigh, as you wish, as long as you do your job the Captain won't have to slit your throat hahaha~"

"N-Nonsense !! She...she said you needed me s-since I helped a little with the map so she would never do that !"

"Who knows ? She’s insane. Anyway I'm going, I'll leave you on the deck, rub it well, the Master of Arms is watching over you haha~ if you need help go to him."

"W-WAIT....not the pile of muscle, at least have Joe o-or even your Captain's two slaves watch over me that's fine with me !!! Sigh..."

Without even turning around and giggling at her words, the young woman walked away in the direction of the Captain's quarters that Achi hadn't seen for 3 days. She was too busy working, always receiving her crew in groups for additional help when they had the time. Sighing and shaking her head, the pink-eyed girl didn't realize it but had a small sad look on her face as she continued to work.

_____

While Achi Von Kokosnuss was busy sulking and scrubbing the deck with her broom, in the Captain's cabin, the Quartermaster and the Sailing Master were gathered. The others were already busy elsewhere and this little meeting was just a recap of what they already knew. Hestia was sitting in her seat looking exhausted, her hair disheveled, three empty bottles on the table and an ashtray overflowing with cigarette butts next to them.

For three days she hadn't slept a wink, going over and over again the plans they had for the coming days and what they needed. The young blonde woman didn't know why but she had had a strange feeling three days ago that hadn't left her. Everything had gone well in Belfort City, the Cerberus was sailing pretty fast in Gaze so where did this feeling suddenly come from that everything was about to get more complicated ?

"Tch, if only this kid could have been a little more specific than "everything is big there, business is great". What does that mean ? Is this an island of fat people ? Sigh..."

When she had asked Achi what was so special about the island lying in the Eldimar Sea, the girl had not been able to be more specific. It was better than nothing, but it didn't really help in trying to prepare for what might be there, which was just about everything. In a world where the ecosystem was mysterious, almost magical, filled with fantastic creatures, curses and strange things, anything was possible.

"And couldn't my mother have been more specific about this island too, what she left there, and that kid ? Oh yeah, they're a great pair !"

*CRACK*

Hestia had grabbed an empty bottle but had instantly broken it into a thousand pieces while Loki and Azeil at her side had their tails between their legs in front of her anger. Her tone was cold, scathing, indicating that she could spin at any moment, the fatigue she was showing not helping. The Captain sensed that something was going on or that what had happened with the merchant ship would happen again in the near future.

It was her instinct and Hestia always trusted her instincts and what her heart told her to do and this time it was to prepare herself perfectly. Their next two destinations were Gaze and the unnamed island and given the number of days they had been on the water, the first one would be reached. As Hestia ran a hand through her hair trying to calm down, Kali and Joe, who had been silent until now, spoke up.

"We have already made a list of what we need to go on an adventure on an unknown island, I'm sure everything will be fine. It's normal that she doesn't really know what's going on there, she's only 15 and far from knowing about politics and business."

"It's up to us to find out what's out there in any case Captain, or it wouldn't be an adventure, would it ? I did all my calculations using the navigation tools so at that level there's no problem to be had, as far as the usefulness of this talking snackpack goes, who knows maybe her gift will prove useful on the island."

At the mention of Achi's gift, Hestia turned her head to Joe with a closed face that she rarely had when addressing her friends. A few days ago, the entire crew had learned with shock that the young noblewoman had a gift, eager to know what it was and even excited. Unfortunately the excitement had been short lived when she had revealed to them what it was and that the beautiful blonde still remembered.

"You want to talk about that nimble hands shit ? Or maybe her great sense of smell that she only developed to smell money from a distance ? Honestly, I don't know how a greedy brat with hand cramps will help..." 

The lack of fatigue had taken its toll on her mental abilities and she only wished for one thing, sleep knowing that finally her friends were right. The more Hestia tried to understand, the more a headache invaded her skull being the sign that she had to stop. In this state she could spiral for all she cared so this was no time to kill herself especially since they would soon be arriving at Gaze.

"Sigh...well we'll see after all as much as it pains me to say it, we can't control everything and to push ourselves would be pointless. Thanks for helping me with the list, measurements and final checks, you can go and rest."

"Aye, but you should get some sleep too, how long until we get there Joe ?"

"About 8 hours if the wind doesn't change."

Understanding what Kali wanted to tell her, Hestia stood up from her seat before stretching making all her bones crack in rather frightening sounds. Understanding what this meant, the two of them would also get up before heading towards the door to let their workaholic Captain finally rest. The Quartermaster who was about to walk through the door after Joe turned her head to say one last thing but found herself blushing instead.

Hestia hadn't even waited for them to get out to take off her shirt and found herself standing in front of her bed with her upper body barely clothed. For the first time in a long time Kali saw what was hidden under the fabric and was speechless at the same time impressed, shocked and unable to look away as if apathetic by what she saw. The arms, the muscular back of her Captain were under her eyes making her head spin.

Her abs as well as all her muscles were protruding especially since the activation of her gift, covered with huge scars as was most of her body especially her back. Yet despite this, the magnificent tattoo of a pirate ship on her right ribs and the two pistols she had on her pelvis were clearly visible. The others dotted her body here and gave her a dangerous and dominant air that was impossible to ignore.

"R-Rest well !!!"

*SLAM*

It was with a courage that she had drawn from deep inside her that Kali finally managed to move and run away as quickly as possible. The idea of Hestia turning to her while she was watching her was too unbearable and had given her the strength to leave. As the Captain watched her Quartermaster disappear, in the background she could see Achi sitting down to write in a diary making her smile before going to sleep for the next 8 hours. 

____

- POV Achi -

Venus Day - Year 666 - 5th Day of captivity

Dear Diary, 

As Hestia Hellfire advised me, here I am again for a fifth day of writing about my very first trip on the pirate ship called Cerberus. As I said, I've been on board for five days now and I can say that I've gotten to know the crew a little bit better. The Hysterics, ridiculous name isn't it ? But when I think about it, it actually fits them perfectly because they are the craziest bunch of people I have ever known.

Well, since I was a little girl I've never really met many people except for nobles who are all interested in popularity and image. I can't say I'm unhappy to have left this life even if I would have liked to say goodbye to the maid Jenny from our manor. On this ship, no one cares if I talk while eating, lift my dress or even swear like an angry father.

I'M NOT SAYING I'M HAPPY HERE ! I feel like I'm surrounded by crazy people and I might become one too if I stay too long with them. Now that a few days have passed I can even tell you dear diary how special they are. So... where to start ? I don't know, there is so much to say that I feel like I don't know what to say anymore, could it be contaminated by their nonsense ? Anyway...

Let's start with the two women under the Captain's command, Kali and Mysie the Quartermaster of the ship and... her bard ? (Note to self, ask the little pirate her real job) They are both the most friendly with me on the ship even if it doesn't fly very high in terms of respect ! But coming from pirates I must admit that I am quite surprised by the soft side that both of them can show.

Kali is always very strict with what I do even with Mysie but if I understood correctly she is the right hand of the Captain so it's normal. Mysie is probably the stupidest but also the cutest of all but that I would never tell her. Both of them are always smiling and even if they always fight for nothing which sometimes makes me cry with laughter, they seem very close, both in love with the Captain (maybe, I need to investigate).

Then there is the Sailing Master, Joe or as I secretly call him "grandfather" because of his grey hair even though he is still young. To tell the truth I don't have much to say, he is mostly busy sailing or doing weird stuff like playing chess by himself. Mostly silent and avoiding me but not as silent as the mountain of muscles with the red beard who never opens his mouth. Can he even talk ?

I haven't had much interaction with them but I'm fine with that especially Edward who is always dirty and smelly after his workouts ! Seriously there's not even a bath here, can you believe that ? If I don't die from shark bites, it's probably because of the bacteria. Anyway, speaking of sharks, there is another member of the crew who, like the others, spends his time teasing me. 

Lucas the giant long-haired freak, he is the Captain's First Mate, I don't know anything about pirate ranks so let's say he assists Kali. Always playing with his size to annoy me which always makes everyone laugh ! One day I'll get back at him, why not cut his hair in his sleep ? (Note to self, weighing the pros and cons). There are also two big guys who would be brothers but I have absolutely no opinion on them. Useless.

Finally, the craziest of all, beyond crazy, completely insane, Hestia Hellfire the Captain of this band of pirates. I... okay she's soooo cool, super beautiful and confident but she scares me. Did I mention that she has two big tigers and a snake ? Well, Hestia is even scarier than them ! But... I hate to say it but I realized that I admire her as much as I hate her for stealing my precious purse !

In fact she is simply everything the nobles hate and everything I want to be, a woman who wears pants, always says what she thinks and above all, free, strong and independent. The Captain would be perfect if she wasn't a total freak and stopped calling me "kiddo" (Note to self: get her to say my name).

Anyway, do you understand now Diary ? I left my noble life to follow a crew of pirates who spend their time mentally torturing and exploiting me ! Well, to be honest I eat my fill, I have a good laugh, I can be myself without following the etiquette of the nobles and I learn a lot of new things, I feel like I'm living a real adventure...

Actually...maybe this new life is not so bad

Achi Von Kokosnuss

12