The Challenge
162 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Time felt like it passed slower in the Heavenly Sword Sect than the real world. Wu Jian supposed that was just how it felt when you weren’t constantly on the move. He spent the majority of his time training with his master and perfecting Cleaving the Heavens in a Single Stroke.

That was, in fact, what he was doing at that moment.

Wu Jian stood before a waterfall, a massive cascade of water that stood hundreds of meteors tall, the dull roar of which echoed in Wu Jian’s ears like a behemoth. Its source was a mighty river that flowed through the entire Heavenly Sword Sect. Wu Jian knew not where the river water came from. As it approached the waterfall, it narrowed and gained speed, setting the stage for this awe-inspiring spectacle.

Standing a good distance behind him was his master, Wu Meiying, and Youmei. Master Feng Tiansheng had been shocked when Wu Meiying showed up one day to watch Wu Jian’s training. He hadn’t known that his disciple was associated with The Lady Oracle. It had been funny watching this man bend over backward to accommodate the young woman. It had been even funnier watching her cow him with a mere glance when he tried to suggest she was interrupting Wu Jian’s training.

The water’s surface rippled as he stood upon it. He was constantly having to adjust the output of chi to accommodate for the shifting water, yet it had become as natural to him as breathing now. He took a deep breath, then shifted his dominant foot forward and raised Pale Moon above his head, the weapon clasped firmly in both hands.

Chi poured from his body and into the sword, a pure golden color. It did not rage like it had before. It settled over the blade.

“He’s finally gotten used to using Sword Intent,” Master Feng Tiansheng said with his arms crossed. “Took him long enough.”

Wu Meiying tucked a strand of hair behind her ear as she played with Youmei. She smiled, and it was as lovely as a peony. “You say that, but most people take years to reach this level of understanding. It only took him a mere month. Sword Intent is difficult for those who are steeped in the understanding of another dao.”

“… I suppose that’s true,” Master Feng Tiansheng mumbled. He looked putout, probably because he didn’t like being contradicted but couldn’t say anything to the Lady Oracle.

“I understand what you are trying to do, but not everyone responds well to provocation. And even if they do, you still need to give them compliments so they know they’re improving,” Wu Meiying admonished him.

“Ugh…”

Wu Jian blocked out the conversation as best he could and focused on visualizing what he wanted. His Sword Intent became incomparably sharper as he honed his focus. He took another deep breath, deeper than the one before.

[Cleaving the Heavens in a Single Stroke]

Then he released his breath and swung his sword downward. There was a single moment in which nothing seemed to happen. Time stood still and all the sounds around them had disappeared. Then, without warning, the waterfall was split in half, from the basin where the water flowed all the way to the top hundreds of meters above their heads. Even the rocks behind it had been heavily damaged.

Master Feng Tiansheng clapped. “Nice job, brat! That was good! You haven’t completely mastered it yet, but with this, it should be combat ready.”

Wu Jian’s battle with the Azure Sovereign Serpent had been a stroke of luck. He had used Cleaving the Heavens in a Single Stroke without mastering it well enough that it should have been used in combat. After returning to the Heavenly Sword Sect, Master Feng Tiansheng had forced him to undergo rigorous training upon learning of what happened. Wu Jian had been practicing his technique every single day, over and over and over again, until his chi was exhausted and he had to be carried back home.

When he first started training, Wu Jian could only use Cleaving the Heavens in a Single Stroke two out of every ten times, but now he could perform it every ten out of ten times. That was Master Feng Tiansheng’s requirement. According to him, a technique was only combat ready when you can use it without the possibility of failure.

“You should still be wary, though,” he said. “Just because you can use it in a calm setting doesn’t mean you’ll be able to use it during combat. It still takes you a while to build up the necessary chi.”

Wu Jian nodded to show he understood. “But couldn’t I also use the same principles behind this technique to fire off smaller attacks?”

Master Feng Tiansheng grinned. “Yes! Yes, you can. It seems I might have underestimated you. You figured out the secret behind this technique. Cleaving Through the Heavens in a Single Stroke is a powerful technique meant to kill single massive targets or hundreds of smaller targets. However, that’s not all it can be used for. If you’re fast enough, you can fire off smaller attacks. They lack the power of the full technique, but they’re still strong enough to damage anyone who’s cultivation is lower than or the same as yours.”

Wu Jian nodded. He had assumed as much. Having become more familiar with this technique, he realized the potential lay not just in its overwhelming firepower but also in its versatility.

“You know what to do now that you have a new technique in your arsenal, right?” asked Wu Meiying, grinning.

Wu Jian returned her grin. “I do.”

His purpose in coming here was to gain strength by honing skills he had been unable to acquire during his travels, and the best way to do that was to pit himself against strong opponents. They had already chosen their target. All that was left was to go on the offensive.

“Where is the Crimson Sword’s villa?” he asked.

“I’ll show you the way,” Master Feng Tiansheng said.

Wu Jian whistled as they reached the intimidating mountain upon which the Crimson Swords Faction made their stronghold. Mount Hongse really was something. It was morning right now, and the entire mountainside was lit up like crimson flames.

They traveled along the path, guided by the vibrant crimson flowers, which spread out like a sea of red, until they reached the first checkpoint. It was called the Crimson Bridge. A pair of cultivators wielding a standard jian guarded it. They were only at the Human Limit Realm, meaning they were grunts. When Wu Jian, Master Feng Tiansheng, Wu Meiying, and Youmei arrived, the pair stiffened, faces paling like they were staring at a monstrosity.

“Hello,” Wu Jian said with a grin. “I’d like you to deliver a message to Luo Feng for me.”

***

Luo Feng had been in isolated training ever since Jian Wu humiliated him in front of Wu Meiying. His anger at being humiliated had driven him to increase his training so he could acquire more power. He refused to let that pissant, sorry excuse for a newly initiated disciple treat him like he was a bug. Luo Feng would show that arrogant young man who the true power in this sect was. Then he would claim Wu Meiying for himself.

His training had been grueling. He had put his body through such a harsh regiment that every day it was a struggle just to sleep. His body was so sore that it hurt even when he was lying down, but it would all be worth it if he could put that arrogant young man in his place.

Just as he was about to start his training again, someone knocked on the door to his isolation room.

“I thought I told you not to disturb me!” he commanded.

“I apologize, Young Master. However, a situation has occurred that demands your attention.”

Luo Feng frowned. He glanced around his chamber, which was bereft of any decorations or adornments. One needed to remove distractions when training. All that this room had were the clothes he had discarded, his robes. He picked them up, put them on, and opened the door. A normal disciple was standing there. The young man reeled back when Luo Feng glared at him.

“Well? What is it?”

“Uh… it’s… it’s Jian Wu. He and Wu Meiying came by to deliver a letter to you.”

“What?!” Luo Feng’s glare intensified. “Are they still here?!”

“N-no… they left after delivering the letter.”

“Well?! Where is this letter?”

“R-right here.”

“Give me that!”

The disciple presented a letter from within the folds of his robes, and Luo Feng snatched it out of his hands. He tore the envelope open and quickly read the letter. His face grew stormier as he continued trailing his eyes across the contents. By the time he had gotten to the end, his face felt so hot that he could have boiled a lobster on it.

“You are dismissed,” he said to the disciple in such a cold voice that the young man couldn’t run away fast enough.

Luo Feng stormed through the Crimson Swords stronghold until he found his master. He was located in The Dragon’s Nest. He sat on a balcony overlooking a training ground, which was currently full of disciples practicing their quick draw techniques. These disciples were the cream of the crop, people who had received personal instructions from Master Zhou Zhang himself. They were not personal disciples like Luo Feng, but they were the next step down from his position. Any one of them could also serve as his replacement should Master Zhou Zhang decide he was not worthy.

“Master,” Luo Feng knelt in deference.

“What have you come here for? Were you not in isolated training?”

“I was, but I received a letter from Jian Wu.”

Master Zhou Zhang grimaced, barely noticeable. He had not been pleased to learn that Jian Wu had a master, especially when he learned that said master was none other than Feng Tiansheng, with whom he had a personal grudge against. No decision had been made about what to do with Jian Wu now. However, the situation had been taken out of their hands.

“Let me see the letter.”

“Yes, Master.”

Luo Feng kept his eyes on the floor as Master Zhou Zhang read through the letter. No sound could be heard when he finished, but a shifting breeze let him know that his master had stood up. He still did not look up, but he saw via the shadow, his master releasing the letter and placing a hand on his sword. He did not see the sword move. All he saw was the aftermath--the letter being sliced into thousands of tiny pieces, which drifted away on the wind.

Master is not happy… not that I can blame him.

“Like master, like disciple. That young man’s arrogance knows no bounds. I still harbored some hopes that we could bring him to our side, but it seems we will have to put this Jian Wu in his place.” Master Zhou Zhang turned toward Luo Feng, who trembled underneath his gaze. It felt like he was being pierced by a thousand swords. “You will meet him in the dueling ring. However, you will not be the first one to fight him. We will make a demand that states he must prove himself worthy to battle you, then have Bai Qiang and Hong Liang fight him. They will redeem themselves by weakening him for you.”

Luo Feng grimaced and spoke before he could stop himself. “Do you not think I would be strong enough to take him on my own?”

“Arrogant fool!” Master Zhang Zhou snapped. “Do you not know what that young man has accomplished? He defeated the Azure Sovereign Serpent on his own! Without aid! Could you do the same?”

“…”

Zhou Zhang snorted. “I thought not. Your cultivation might be higher than him, but do not delude yourself into thinking that makes you stronger. It is not the strongest but the slyest who come out on top. That was how it went when I put Feng Tiangsheng in his place, and that’s how it will be for you too. Now go! Accept that arrogant disciples challenge and informed Bai Qiang and Hong Liang of the chance I have given them.”

“… Yes, Master.”

Luo Feng did as he was told. Bai Qiang and Hong Liang were both in a disciplinary cell, a place where those who broke the Crimson Swords laws or failed to meet Master Zhang Zhou’s expectations were punished. He let them both know about the chance they had been given. They seemed eager to serve. He guessed being stuck in isolation, with no one to talk to for several months, would make anyone pliant. After that, he went back to his room, where he would spend the rest of his time preparing for the duel.


Thank you for reading my story. I know it has a lot of mistakes. I’m planning to fix those during my rewrites, which you can read on Patreon as I update them.

Please remember to like and bookmark this chapter. The more readers who press that heart button, the more readers who will get to see this story. I think it would be nice if a bunch more people could join us. Comments are also really good motivation. Let me know what you thought about this chapter, or if you found any mistakes or something odd about it that doesn't make sense. I might not reply much because I work 14 hours a day, but I promise that I read every comment.

I am rewriting volume 2 now. If you would like to help find any continuity issues in the previous chapters of STnS, please mention them in this link: STNS Problems

Special thanks to my Helpful Slime tier patrons: Mīonikoi, Connor68, return_Null, Eduaardo Mejia, ShadowRevan06, Draxas, David, Damian Paradis, Jeremy Schultz, Lilboatbigsea, Vikks Hallowhaunt! Thank you so much! You are the freaking best!

I also can’t forget to thank my other patrons. They’re the ones who made this web novel possible. My Human, Yuki-Onna, Nekomata, Succubus, Alien, and Kitsune-tier Patrons. Everyone who supports me is the backbone of my endeavors.

Read 45 chapters ahead on my Patreon!

Follow Me!

 | Check Out My Light Novels! | Brandon’s Discord | Twitter (Warning, I Sometimes Tweet NSFW Content) | Facebook | Instagram |

My artist has a Twitter!

| Michiroon |

11