Wu Jian VS Zhe Fēnglì
173 7 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While the crowd began cheering, there were quite a few people viewing who did not give such a reaction. These people studied Jian Wu like he was a foreign object. They gazed at him with sharp eyes that sized him up.

“I guess he’s not bad, though I’m not sure I see what the big deal is. He’s strong to be able to defeat two cultivators at the same realm as him, but any one of us could do that. What makes this man so special that the Lady Oracle herself favors him?”

The one who had spoken twirled his beautiful silver hair between his fingers. It was a feminine gesture that would have looked out of place on a normal man, but on this man, whose beauty could match the greatest women of the Heavenly Sword Sect, it looked perfectly natural.

Lan Xiu was the leader of the Azure Moon and the core disciple of Elder Lan Shi. Silver hair that coruscated in the light framed a face that could have been mistaken for a man or a woman. His soft lips, small nose, and the gentle curve of his jawline gave him an androgynous appearance. More than a few disciples had mistakenly hit on him, having assumed he was a woman. Most of them became shocked when they realized he was not.

The elaborate hanfu he wore still retained many of the same qualities found among disciples of the Heavenly Sword Sect, but several extra garments adorned his frame. The flowing robes that rested over his shoulders were atypical of clothing found in the Xiao Continent. Deep blue like the ocean, the fabric was embossed with the symbols of flowing waves. Whenever he moved, it gave the illusion that the waves on his clothes were also moving.

Resting against his lap was his weapon of choice--a Miao Dao. This beautifully crafted saber was long and slender, with a single edge and a curved tip. The sheathe was a light blue with splashes of dark blue and white, giving the illusion of rolling waves. Near the sheathe’s base was what resembles a fish’s mouth. It was a golden carp, a fish admired for its vibrant and colorful appearance. It was a symbol of beauty, grace, and good fortune.

“Who knows,” said the person sitting next to him. “But I do not believe it wise to underestimate him. I am sure the Lady Oracle saw something and that is why she is keeping him close. We should observe the situation more before deciding what to do.”

Where Lan Xiu’s looks were pretty and feminine, the man who sat beside him was clearly masculine. His brown hair was only chin-length and much wilder than his counterpart’s silky locks. Spikes stuck out in every direction and framed a charismatic face that looked akin to the ancient heroes of yore. His sharp eyebrows sat above intelligent brown eyes. He had thin lips and a symmetrical face. While his appearance did not inspire the same awe of Lan Xiu, many women would swoon in his presence.

His clothing was much more understated. He wore the traditional hanfu of the Heavenly Sword Sect, but the sash wrapped around his waist was a bright yellow, the vibrancy of which drew eyes toward it. What stood out about him was not his clothing, but his broad shoulders and chest, which tapered into a thin waist. Even hidden as it was by layers of fabric, his physique could not be fully masked.

He also had a weapon out. It was a liuyedao. Known as a willow-leaf saber, this traditional weapon with a curved, single-edge resembled the shape of a willow leaf, hence its name. The hilt was wrapped in black leather for a comfortable grip. The guard was designed to resemble a stylized thundercloud, with silver and blue accents that represented lightning. Its blade was hidden within a sheath that had yellow lightning bolts dancing through storm clouds.

“Do you really think there’s anything special about him, Lei Jin?” asked Lan Xiu.

Lei Jin rubbed his jaw. “It is hard to say, but I do not believe the Lady Oracle would favor him so much if there was nothing.”

“I suppose… he could be hiding his strength,” Lan Xiu muttered, eyes narrowed. “But if that’s what he is doing, then I’m curious to know why.”

“I see you two are curious about our newest disciple.”

“Brother Fēnglì! How good of you to join us,” Lan Xiu greeted the young man as he walked down the stairs and sat beside them.

“I see you are back from your mission,” Lei Jin said in greeting.

“I’ve been back for a while,” Zhe Fēnglì admitted. “However, my first order of business was consulting the Lady Oracle after I returned.”

It was no secret that Zhe Fēnglì harbored feelings for Wu Meiying; he had been romantically pursuing her ever since she first arrived in the Heavenly Sword Sect. Not only were his feelings for her known to all and sundry, but so too, was the fact that she had rebuffed every one of his advances. Some believed it was because Wu Meiying’s clairvoyance relied on her retaining her chastity, while others believed she simply didn’t like him. Most thought it was the former. After all, Zhe Fēnglì was not only handsome and powerful, he was also the son of the Heavenly Sword Sect’s sect master. What woman would not find themselves interested in a man of his caliber?

Zhe Fēnglì was the reason neither Lei Jin nor Lan Xiu pursued Wu Meiying. The three of them had been friends since they were children. There was also the difference in their strength. Zhe Fēnglì was much stronger than either of them. Even if they fought him together, he would still come out on top.

“Aren't you worried?” asked Lei Jin.

“Should I be worried?” Zhe Fēnglì quirked an eyebrow. “Do I have something I need to be worried about?”

“You never know,” Lei Jin looked back at Jian Wu. He had not left the stage since his next battle would be coming up soon. “I’ve heard rumors about how close he is to the Lady Oracle.”

“Oh! I’ve heard those rumors too!” Lan Xiu exclaimed.

The most popular rumor going around was that Jian Wu and Wu Meiying were spotted on a date at the popular Silver Moon Lily Cafe. Wu Meiying had not only removed her veil to eat, allowing everyone within to finally see her face, but she had handfed Jian Wu and even had him feed her. Lots of people claimed to be eyewitnesses, though the veracity of those rumors remained unconfirmed.

Zhe Fēnglì furrowed his brow. “I have also heard some rumors, but I would not pay them any mind.”

Lan Xiu and Lei Jin glanced at each other, sharing a look. The tone of Zhe Fēnglì’s voice was dangerous. They could tell he was jealous from the way his eyes narrowed slightly, though he thought he was hiding it.

“Well, it is just a rumor,” Lan Xiu said with a shrug.

“Yeah. There’s no telling if it’s even true,” Lei Jin added.

“Exactly. Anyway, you were talking about what makes Jian Wu so special,” Zhe Fēnglì began.

“It’s not that we’re talking about what makes him so special so much as trying to figure out whether there’s anything special about him at all.” Lan Xiu propped his left foot on his right leg and leaned back. “I just don’t see it. I mean, he’s strong, but he’s not that strong.”

“That’s because you don’t understand what made this match so significant. I don’t blame you since you haven’t seen Jian Wu fight before.”

Lei Jin smacked his left fist into the palm of his right hand. “That’s right. You saw his fights during the Power Ranking Tournament. That means you know something we don’t.”

“So? What’s so special about him then?” asked Lan Xiu.

Zhe Fēnglì smiled. “Did you know that when he fought during the tournament, I did not see him use even one sword technique?”

Lan Xiu frowned. “And? What’s so special about--”

He paused mid sentence, spinning his head around again to stare hard at Jian Wu. Amidst the mixed cheers and boos of the crowd, he stood there with the calm demeanor of a man who had already experienced a hundred battles. He did not appear to even register them.

“During this battle… he only used one technique,” Lan Xiu said suddenly.

“And it was a sword technique,” Zhe Fēnglì confirmed. “Not only is it a sword technique, but I know which technique he used. It's a technique exclusive to Feng Tiangsheng.”

“Meaning he defeated those two with a technique he only learned in the last month or so,” Lei Jin muttered, then began worrying his lower lip with his teeth.

Learning a technique generally required months if not years of practice to learn. Sometimes it took even longer, depending on the complexity of the technique. There were many factors that could be attributed to the length of time required to learn how to use a technique. This was especially true for a technique like the one Jian Wu used during this duel.

[Cleaving the Heavens in a Single Stroke]

This was the special technique of a rising star in the Heavenly Sword Sect who had his ascent cut short by the machinations of schemers jealous of his power. Yet even though Feng Tiangsheng’s glory had long passed, his technique had left an indelible impression on everyone within the sect.

Yet this technique was not so easily mastered. It required intense mental and physical conditioning. Using this technique required cultivators to strengthen their bodies and minds to the extreme. More than that, it required someone to be able to generate Sword Intent, which was not something a random newly initiated disciple should have been capable of. There were many disciples who had been in the sect for years, decades even, who still could not generate Sword Intent. The fact that Jian Wu could meant…

“He’s a monster,” Lan Xiu muttered.

“Indeed.” Zhe Fēnglì nodded. “Jian Wu’s talent is monstrous. The fact that he could learn how to use Cleaving the Heavens in a Single Stroke within such a short timeframe cannot be drummed up to luck or fortune. Only a genius could learn such a powerful technique so quickly.”

Lei Jin and Lan Xiu looked like they had something to say, but Li Mingxia suddenly began speaking. “Wasn’t that exciting?! Did you all enjoy this duel?! I hope you did, and I hope you’re ready for more, because the main event is now coming up! Will Luo Feng please come to the arena?!”

The three young men glanced at each other, understanding that they would finish this discussion another time, and turned back to the arena. They were just in time to see Luo Feng emerge from the same entrance that Bai Qiang and Hong Liang had used.

“He’s wearing profound spirit armor,” Lei Jin said.

“It’s medium-grade spirit rank,” Lan Xiu added.

It was a full armor sweet. A crimson helmet that resembled a mythical behemoth sat upon his head, the glorious red tint glinting in the light of the sun. His cuirass was crafted from layered, toughened silk, reinforced with flexible metal plates that provided protection and freedom of movement. On the front was an elaborate design of a behemoth, a creature spoken of in myth and known for its toughness. The shoulder guards, bracers, and boots were all the same crimson as the helmet and cuirass.

“Isn’t that Luo Feng’s Behemoth Regalia?” asked Lei Jin.

“It is. That’s his famous spirit armor.” Lan Xiu narrowed his eyes. “I heard he only wears it when he is seriously confronting his opponent… which means he feels threatened by Jian Wu.”

It was not against the rules to wear spirit armor during a duel, though some people would look down on someone who did. The fact that Luo Feng wore it anyway said a lot. He, like many others, cared about his reputation. He wouldn’t do something like this unless he felt like he might lose.

“I guess we should pay close attention to this duel,” Lan Xiu continued.

Lei Jin nodded. “I want to see what Jian Wu is truly capable of.”

Zhe Fēnglì said nothing as he narrowed his eyes down at the arena floor.


Thank you for reading my story. I know it has a lot of mistakes. I’m planning to fix those during my rewrites, which you can read on Patreon as I update them.

Please remember to like and bookmark this chapter. The more readers who press that heart button, the more readers who will get to see this story. I think it would be nice if a bunch more people could join us. Comments are also really good motivation. Let me know what you thought about this chapter, or if you found any mistakes or something odd about it that doesn't make sense. I might not reply much because I work 14 hours a day, but I promise that I read every comment.

I am rewriting volume 2 now. If you would like to help find any continuity issues in the previous chapters of STnS, please mention them in this link: STNS Problems

Special thanks to my Helpful Slime tier patrons: Mīonikoi, Connor68, dylan taylor, Return_Null, Eduardo Mejia, Lord Goldmane, ShadowRevan06, Draxas, David, Damian Paradis, Jeremy Schultz, Lilboatbigsea, and Vikks Hallowhaunt! Thank you so much! You are the freaking best!

I also can’t forget to thank my other patrons. They’re the ones who made this web novel possible. My Human, Yuki-Onna, Nekomata, Succubus, Alien, and Kitsune-tier Patrons. Everyone who supports me is the backbone of my endeavors.

Read 45 chapters ahead on my Patreon!

Follow Me!

 | Check Out My Light Novels! | Brandon’s Discord | Twitter (Warning, I Sometimes Tweet NSFW Content) | Facebook | Instagram |

My artist has a Twitter!

| Michiroon |

13