The Alchemist and the Cultivator
123 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wu Jian walked down the boarding ramp alongside Mei Xilan, Youmei, and several other cultivators. The air was filled with the combined scents of saltwater, briny sea breezes, and thee faint, intoxicating aroma of elemental cultivation fuel used by airships. He had once heard someone say the fuel was liquidized spirit stones, but he didn’t know how true that was.

The dock was a hive of activity, with merchants, travelers, and crew members bustling about. Vendors peddled exotic goods and snacks while crew members prepared their vessels for departure. The lively and vibrant atmosphere contained a constant thrum of anticipation. It mixed with the symphony of sounds, from the wooden decks creaking underfoot to the gentle lapping of water against the quay, which harmonized with the gentle thrum of airships as they prepared for take off.

As he took in the sights, a group of six appeared before them.

She’s here…

A vision of loveliness appeared before him. Zhou Lihua was garbed in a beautiful gown that looked like it trapped and reflected moonlight, every slight movement causing it to shimmer. She didn’t wear shoes like normal. Her sandals left her toes free. The sandals did have an arch, however, which highlighted her wonderful calves and smooth thighs, visible as they peaked out of the slits in her dress.

Is it just me, or has she grown much more beautiful?

Zhou Lihua had always been gorgeous, but she seemed to have become even more lovely. Perhaps it was time.

Time and absence had a remarkable way of enhancing the beauty people saw in others. Just as Zhou Lihua, who had always been gorgeous, seemed to have become even more lovely with the passage of time. The lines etched by life’s experiences now appeared as delicate brush strokes of character, and the absence of her presence in his life had woven an enchanting tapestry of longing and desire. Beauty was not merely skin deep. Wu Jian now understand that.

Zhou Lihua had also noticed him. She stared at him with a longing that he believed was reflected on his own face, making him glad for his mask. He had no idea what kind of expression he had. The very thought was embarrassing.

“BIG--”

Youmei tried to run toward Zhou Lihua, but Wu Jian held her back. She looked at him in consternation. Her cheeks were puffed out like a chipmunks when it was full of nuts. He, however, merely shook his head, telling her that now was not the time.

“Jian Wu and Mei Xilan! It’s so good to see you both again.”

Wu Jian was forced to turn away from Zhou Lihua as Tang Tiantian greeted them. She looked the same as he remembered--a strong young woman with a heroic visage that seemed to have been carved from history. Her appearance had only grown more charismatic since he last saw her. He smiled, even though she couldn’t see it, and greeted her back.

“Thank you for the kind greeting,” Mei Xilan said.

Wu Jian offered a martial bow. “It is good to see you as well. I see you’ve grown stronger.”

“Not as strong as you. You’ll have to tell me what kind of training you do.”

“I’ll see what I can do.”

Tang Tiantian looked like she wanted to say more, but she would never get the chance, because someone else stepped up to them. It was an albino woman. Her hair was pure white that matched her skin and her eyes were a deep crimson. She was beautiful in a way that snakes were beautiful. She actually reminded him of an old legend about a white snake Grandpa Son once told him and Wu Meiying.

“It’s been a while since I’ve seen that masked face of yours. Do you remember me?” she asked.

“You were one of the competitors at the alchemy contest in the Zhou Kingdom,” Wu Jian said. “Your name was…”

“Lili Ling,” she introduced herself.

“It’s an honor to see you again.”

Wu Jian gave her a martial bow, which she returned, and then finally turned to Zhou Lihua. She had been silently staring at him this whole time.

“It’s great to see you again,” he said.

“Yeah. You too. I’ve missed you,” Zhou Lihua confessed.

“I’ve missed you too.”

Now that she was in front of him, all the emotions Wu Jian had been containing felt fit to bursting. He wanted to take this woman in his arms and kiss her, but he also wanted to gaze at her face for as long as humanly possible. He wanted to touch her. He wanted to take in the delicate feel of her body and the scent of her skin as he pulled her flush against him.

But he couldn’t.

Standing right behind her was Zhou Wen. She was Zhou Lihua’s attendant and the person who both saw to her needs and ensured the young clan heiress remained chaste. He had never liked this woman. She gave him bad vibes. Whatever his feelings on her may have been, the fact remained that she would not allow him to initiate close contact with Zhou Lihua. Perhaps that was the reason he disliked her so much.

“What’s this? Do you all already know each other?” asked Tang Tiantian.

“Right… we never told you, did we?” mumbled Lili Ling. “Jian Wu was Zhou Lihua’s bodyguard during the alchemy tournament in the Zhou Kingdom. We all met during that time.”

“So you knew him before I ever met him,” Tang Tiantian looked shocked.

“I am friends with Jian Wu’s… partner,” Zhou Lihua said delicately.

“His partner?” Tang Tiantian looked at him.

“I’m courting Hou Jingshu, the princess of the Shang Kingdom,” he confessed.

Tang Tiantian placed a hand on her chin and tilted her head. “Huh… I had no idea. That’s shocking, but I guess it makes sense. You’re probably the strongest person in the Shang Kingdom now.” She paused for a moment as if to take this knowledge in, then shook her head and smiled. “Anyway, you’re probably exhausted from your journey. Why don’t I show you to a place you can stay?”

“We would appreciate that,” Mei Xilan said.

“Great. Just follow me.” Tang Tiantian smiled as she began walking out of the dock. “Unfortunately, I won’t be able to let you stay in the palace since you’re not official guests.”

“That’s fine. We don’t need to stay anywhere fancy. A simple inn will do,” Mei Xilan said.

“If you’re sure. Well, don’t worry. I know a few great places. But you know, I was really surprised when I got that letter saying you were coming here and would like to speak with Master Yun Chi. That was quite bold of you. We don’t normally allow people without status to meet with him.”

“Alchemists are coveted resources for any kingdom,” Mei Xilan said in acknowledgement. “I understand you can’t let me see him without adequate compensation.”

“I’m so glad you understand,” Tang Tiantian said with a smile.

It sounded like Mei Xilan had given the Southern Tang Dynasty, or more specifically, it’s royal family, something that was worth enough to let her meet with Yun Chi. Wu Jian wondered what it was. Yun Chi was a platinum rank alchemist, one of only three in the entire Xaio Continent. That made him one of the most coveted people in the world. Cultivators from across the continent wanted to have him refine pills for them, but he was under the employ of the Southern Tang Dynasty, which meant no one would be able to see him without providing something that would greatly benefit the country.

The atmosphere in the Southern Tang Dynasty was reminiscent of the Yuan Peninsula. Perhaps it was because they were both coastal countries in the south, but they were very humid. Unlike the Yuan Peninsula, which had been devastated by magical beasts, the Southern Tang Dynasty remained an unblemished gemstone. Most of the buildings were elevated and looked to have excellent ventilation. Stilted buildings with sloping and wide eaves made up the majority here. They harmoniously blended with the tropical trees and flowers.

Tang Tiantian led them through the streets, drawing attention everywhere she went. It seemed she was a much beloved figure. Everyone waved at her like they were good friends, and she greeted them right back. The royal family, or at least, this woman, seemed to have a very close rapport with her people.

Wu Jian kept a firm grip on Youmei’s hand as they walked. She had already deviated several times, attempting to travel away from them to check something that caught her attention. He couldn’t afford to let her wander off right now. They didn’t know anything about this country and he didn’t want her causing trouble.

Lotus Breeze Inn was the place where she led them. It stood as an oasis of respite amid the sweltering embrace of the Southern Tang Dynasty’s tropical climate. The inn’s architecture mirrored the style that characterized the land, standing upon a series of stilted foundations. These supports elevated it above the ground and provided a refreshing circulation of air in the muggy atmosphere.

“This is the best inn in all the kingdom. Their food is great,” Tang Tiantian told them. “I have to leave now, but I’ll come back for dinner. We can talk then.”

“That is fine with me. I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to speak with me,” Mei Xilan said.

“I suppose I’ll head back too. I want to work on some of my alchemy projects,” Lili Ling said, glancing at Zhou Lihua. “Are you coming?”

“I am going to stay here. I would like to catch up with my friend,” Zhou Lihua said.

“Young Miss…”

“Do not worry yourself, Zhou Wen. I won’t do anything that would put my family name in jeopardy.”

“That isn’t what I was going to say.” Zhou Wen sighed. “I have to run some errands, so I won’t be able to look after you. If you plan on staying with Jian Wu, then please take precautions and look after yourself.”

“Oh. Don’t worry. I will do that.”

“Good. Then I’ll bid you goodbye for now as well.”

Tang Tiantian, her two guards, Lili Ling, and Zhou Wen all left. Wu Jian finally let go of Youmei. The young girl, now free, quickly raced into Zhou Lihua’s chest.

“BIG SIS LILI! I MISSED YOU!”

“Oh, my. Are you Youmei?”

“Yes! Youmei is Youmei!”

“I didn’t even recognize you. I had been wondering who you were since I saw you get off the airship.” Zhou Lihua sent Wu Jian a narrow-eyed, seductive grin. “I thought Jian Wu might have gotten some poor woman pregnant.”

“Even if I had done that, our child would only be a few months old, and Youmei is clearly much older,” Wu Jian said with a wry smile hidden behind his mask.

Zhou Lihua nodded as she stroked Youmei’s head. “That is true. Anyway, if Youmei has a human form, it means she’s at the Deva Realm now. I can’t sense her cultivation anymore.” She looked at Wu Jian. “I can’t sense your cultivation anymore either.”

Wu Jian shrugged. “Youmei and I are both at the peak of the Deva Realm.”

Zhou Lihua pursed her lips, sighed, then smiled. “Congratulations. That is quite the achievement. I wish I could say the same, but I have not been keeping up with my cultivation as you two have.”

“You’ve simply shifted your focus to alchemy. I’m sure you’ll grow stronger with time.”

Zhou Lihua was at the peak of the Human Limit Realm. The fact that she had achieved such strength despite focusing on alchemy was proof of her talent. Her cultivation base was also solid, which meant she wouldn’t face any issues while breaking through, minus the Heavenly Tribulation. He was certain she would reach the Deva Realm before too long.

“I know you are right.” Zhou Lihua smiled as she gestured toward the inn entrance. “Anyway, let’s get your living situation squared away. I can show you around the city after that.”


I'm back from Japan. I just returned yesterday. The flight was over 24 hours long and I was exhausted, but I don't want to rest. I feel bad for letting this series sit un-updated for an entire week, so here I am, updating more chapters.

Thank you for reading my story. I know it has a lot of mistakes. I’m planning to fix those during my rewrites, which you can read on Patreon as I update them.

Please remember to like and bookmark this chapter. The more readers who press that heart button, the more readers who will get to see this story. I think it would be nice if a bunch more people could join us. Comments are also really good motivation. Let me know what you thought about this chapter, or if you found any mistakes or something odd about it that doesn't make sense. I might not reply much because I work 14 hours a day, but I promise that I read every comment.

Special thanks to my Helpful Slime tier patrons: Nicholas Hackett, Ray Stapp, Nik Tesla, Mīonikoi, Connor68, Micah P, dylan taylor, Eduardo Mejia, Lord Goldmane, ShadowRevan06, Draxas, David, Damian Paradis, Jeremy Schultz, Lilboatbigsea, and Vikks Hallowhaunt! Thank you so much! You are the freaking best!

I also can’t forget to thank my other patrons. They’re the ones who made this web novel possible. My Human, Yuki-Onna, Nekomata, Succubus, Alien, and Kitsune-tier Patrons. Everyone who supports me is the backbone of my endeavors.

Read 45 chapters ahead on my Patreon!

Follow Me!

 | Check Out My Light Novels! | Brandon’s Discord | Twitter (Warning, I Sometimes Tweet NSFW Content) | Facebook | Instagram |

My artist has a Twitter!

| Michiroon |

8