Asura Realm Princess
669 4 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wu Jian was more than aware of the distrustful stares he was getting from Hou Jingshu’s three bodyguards. After saving the woman in question, he had gone on to help the three defeat their opponents. They had expressed gratitude but still cast him obvious suspicious glances.

He… well, he couldn’t blame them. A strange man wearing a mask had appeared out of nowhere. Yeah, he might have saved Hou Jingshu, but they didn’t know a thing about him. What if he had saved her to ingratiate himself into their group so he could betray them later? That was what he would have been thinking if their positions were reversed.

“Hey, Wu. Those people are looking at us like we’re scum to be cleaned from the bottom of their shoes,” Huǒ Shuchang said.

Wu Jian rolled his eyes. “Really? I didn’t notice. Thank you for stating the obvious. Whatever would I do without you around?”

“Probably brood.” Huǒ Shuchang shrugged. “But seriously, why are they looking at us like we’re the enemy. Didn’t you protect their princess and save them?”

“Try putting yourself in their shoes and maybe you’ll understand why they’re so wary.”

“I already did that. It’s not like I don’t understand. I just think they should give us the benefit of the doubt.”

“We are grateful for what you have done,” Wu Yong suddenly said. “Don’t misunderstand us. But we were just attacked by a group of mercenaries and someone from our own nation. We’re understandably wary of anyone who we don’t know right now.”

Wu Jian understood, and that was why he didn’t say anything and kept a respectful distance.

“Speak for yourself,” Yin Wuhan said. He was a big guy with a big voice. While Wu Yong and Zheng Yawen were respectful if wary, this one seemed outright hostile. “I don’t trust either of you as far as I can throw you.”

“You’ll have to forgive our companion,” Zheng Yawen said with a tacit smile.

Wu Jian shrugged. “He has a right to be suspicious.”

“If you agree with that, then do us a favor and leave,” demanded Yin Wuhan.

“I refuse.”

“What was that?!”

“Hey. Don’t shout. Her Highness is attempting to break through. Do you want to make her fail because you distracted her with your yelling?” asked Wu Yong.

Yin Wuhan growled under his breath before turning away. Wu Jian paid him no mind, but he did watch Wu Yong for a little while. He seemed to have grown up a lot from the arrogant young man he used to be. It was almost like he had become an entirely different person.

He looked back at Hou Jingshu, sitting several chih away with her legs crossed. She made several hand signs as she gathered power within her dantian. Her body glowed a bright golden color and it looked like scales had appeared on her cheeks, neck, and collarbone. He wondered what kind of cultivation method she had.

A roar suddenly shook the clearing. Everyone turned to stare at Hou Jingshu as chi exploded from her body and writhed around her. Wu Jian wondered if his eyes were playing tricks on him because the chi surrounding her looked like it had taken the shape of a serpentine dragon. He was tempted to rub his eyes.

The explosion of power caused the ground to crack, the wind to blow, and the trees around them to sway. A shockwave spread out from where Hou Jingshu sat. Everyone except Wu Jian covered their eyes to avoid getting debris in them. Wu Jian used spatial folding to simply teleport the debris away from his face.

It didn’t take long for the chi to disperse. A strange calm settled over the clearing as Hou Jingshu slowly stood up. Her body was still glowing, but it was muted now. A simple layer of gold had settled over her. Yet even that disappeared after a few seconds.

The woman they had been watching over looked different now, more beautiful. Her skin had become an even purer white, her eyes were far more clear than before, and her face seemed to have gained both a maturity and austerity that had not been there. Even her hair had become more lustrous. She looked like a queen. He was sure her figure had undergone several changes too, but he could not see those through her training gi.

Hou Jingshu stared at her hands, clenching and unclenching them, then looked up. She was smiling. Wu Jian felt himself smile as well. He was happy that someone he loved had managed to become so strong. She wasn’t much older than him, and yet she had reached the Asura Realm. Most cultivators never became this strong. He was so proud of her.

And yet…

I can’t even tell her that.

Because he couldn’t let her know who he was. He needed everyone to think he was dead so Wu Meiying’s enemies wouldn’t find him.

Hou Jingshu walked up to him, stopped just a few steps away, and performed a traditional martial arts bow.

“Thank you so much for your help. I’m not sure we would have survived without your intervention.”

“You’re welcome. Congratulations on your break through. It’s incredibly impressive for someone so young to reach the Asura Realm.”

Hou Jingshu beamed at the compliment, though her expression morphed into confusion seconds later. She shook her head as though to clear it of cobwebs.

“Could you please tell me who you are?” she asked. “I would like to know the name of my benefactor.”

“… Jian Wu,” he said after a moment’s hesitation.

“Jian… Wu…” Hou Jingshu mumbled several times before nodding. “That’s a good name. I… knew someone who had a similar name. I like it.”

“I’m glad,” he said. “Now, you asked about who I am. I am just a rogue cultivator. I’ve been traveling for almost half a year now, if not a little longer. However, I did grow up in the Shang Kingdom. I stumbled upon your battle and recognized you.”

“Is that why you decided to aid us?” asked Wu Yong.

Wu Jian shrugged. “More or less.”

“I see.” Hou Jingshu turned from Wu Jian to his companion. “And who is this?”

“My name is Huǒ Shuchang, and it is a pleasure to meet you. Had I known there would be a woman of such beauty in danger, I would have rushed to your aid post haste and offered my assistance. Alas, I was too late and my good friend Jian Wu already took care of these brigands for you.”

Hou Jingshu’s smile twitched at the man’s overly flowery speech. “Well… it’s very nice to meet you.”

“Speaking of those people who attacked you, was it okay to kill him?” Wu Jian gestured toward Retou Meng with his chin.

Hou Jingshu tilted her head, brows furrowed. “What do you… oh.” She suddenly smiled. “You don’t need to worry about that. You said you're from the Shang Kingdom? You should know how poor we are. We lack many of the cultivation resources that other nations have. This includes Soul Crystals. The only sect in the Shang Kingdom that uses Soul Crystals is the Saintly Sword Sect.”

“Ah. So, the Burning Hand Sect doesn’t know their core disciple was killed then?” asked Wu Jian.

Hou Jingshu nodded. “That’s right. And they won’t know for a while yet. They probably won’t even realize what happened for several months after the White Tiger Sect Ruins are sealed again, and they’ll likely assume he was just killed trying to gain cultivation resources.”

“But there is a chance they might suspect you, isn’t there?” he asked.

She cupped her chin. “Maybe if they find out I am here, but I came here incognito. No one should know I left the Shang Kingdom.”

Wu Jian felt relieved to know that Hou Jingshu was unlikely to be implicated in Retou Meng’s death. It took a huge weight off his shoulders.

But now he had another problem to deal with.

Wu Jian wanted to travel alongside Hou Jingshu, not only to protect her from danger but just to stand beside her once again. The problem was he couldn’t let her know who he was. He had to keep his mask on. While she was grateful for his assistance, it didn’t change the fact that she didn’t know who he was behind the mask.

I need to get her to trust me… but how can I do that?

He was tempted to reach up and clutch the necklace hidden under his shirt. It was the same one she had given him before she left for the Imperial Capital when they were fourteen years old, the one that belonged to her mother.

“Would you like to come with us?” Hou Jingshu asked.

“Princess?!” Yin Wuhan shouted.

“What are you thinking?” asked Zheng Yawen.

“I don’t see what the problem is,” Hou Jingshu crossed her arms.

“The problem is we can’t trust this man!” Yin Wuhan shouted, pointing a quivering finger at Wu Jian. “Just look at him! How can you trust someone who hides his face behind a mask?!”

Wu Jian flinched. He tried not to let it show with a physical reaction, but Hou Jingshu must have seen it. Her eyes were locked on him. It was only for a moment, however, and then she was staring at Yin Wuhan with the authority of a ruler.

“I appreciate that you want to protect me, Yin Wuhan. And I understand that it’s hard to trust someone we don’t even know. Please understand I’m not saying this because I think you’re in the wrong… but I do think you’re being rude to our benefactor. This man saved our lives. Does that mean nothing to you?”

The princess’s words set Yin Wuhan back. Huǒ Shuchang snickered, which caused the man to glare at him briefly, but his attention soon went to Hou Jingshu once more. “Well, I…”

“I agree with Her Highness,” Wu Yong said suddenly, stepping forward. Wu Jian was glad for the mask. It meant no one could see him gaping.

While Yin Wuhan looked like he’d been slapped in the face, Zheng Yawen crossed her arms and cocked her hips to one side. “I don’t disagree with you or Her Highness, but could I know your reason for extending your trust to him?”

Wu Yong looked uncertain for a moment. He glanced at Wu Jian, then at Hou Jingshu, before finally returning his attention to Zheng Yawen. He licked his lips.

“Well… I guess it’s instinct… mostly.”

“Instinct?” Zheng Yawen raised an eyebrow.

Wu Yong scratched the back of his head. “Yeah. I just… I feel like we can trust him is all.”

Zhen Yawen sighed. “I find your lack of reasoning disappointing, but I know that’s just how you are. I have no objections to Her Highness wanting this man and his companion to travel with us. If he wanted to do us harm, he could have done it much earlier. In fact, he could have just waited until we were already defeated and stepped in after that.”

“Well… yeah… but…” Yin Wuhan seemed to realize he had little ground to stand on, but he still refused to relinquish his suspicions.

Hou Jingshu sighed. “If you really can’t bring yourself to trust them, then why not keep an eye on them? Either way, my decision is final. I expect you to obey.”

“Yes, Your Highness,” all three bodyguards said.

Hou Jingshu smiled after finally getting her stubborn bodyguard to agree. She turned to Wu Jian and Huǒ Shuchang.

“I’m sorry. I realize it sounds like I’ve already made a decision for you. Of course, I won’t force you to come with us, but I would like to extend the offer. These ruins are quite dangerous. We not only have to worry about the magical beasts and traps located within them, but we also have to worry about other cultivators. It would be much safer to travel in a large group. So, what do you say?” asked Hou Jingshu.

Wu Jian studied the young woman who had grown so much since they were kids. She seemed much more mature now. This was the girl who had always jumped headfirst into every dangerous situation, who was so consumed with her sense of justice that she would step in front of someone stronger than herself. He still sensed a bit of that in her. However, it was clear she had done a lot of growing.

And she’s become so much more beautiful.

It went without saying, but Hou Jingshu had become an incredibly beautiful woman. Her cloak had long been discarded. Now her pink martial arts gi was revealed in all its splendor. The clothes were loose enough that it wouldn’t hinder her movement, yet he could still catch a glimpse of the womanly curves they hid.

“I would be more than happy to travel alongside you. Truth be told, I wanted to offer my services anyway… but I was worried it might arouse your suspicion,” he confessed.

“I’m still a little suspicious,” Hou Jingshu admitted, “but I have a feeling my suspicion is unwarranted.”

“Guess that means our party has expanded,” Huǒ Shuchang said with a big grin. He placed his hands behind his head. “Well, the more the merrier, I always say.”

“You never say that,” Wu Jian shot back.

“That’s just because there hasn’t been anyone who could join us until now.”

Hou Jingshu raised a hand to hide her giggle. “You two get along quite well.”

“That’s because we’re best buds,” Huǒ Shuchang said as he slung an arm over Wu Jian’s shoulder.

“I suppose we could go with that,” Wu Jian muttered.

“Well, let us get going. It’ll take a few days to reach the ruins at the center. We don’t want to fall behind everyone else.”

At Hou Jingshu’s orders, the group left the bodies of their wouldbe killers behind.


Hou JIngshu has reached the Asura Realm!

Please remember to like and bookmark this chapter. The more readers who press that heart button, the more readers who will get to see this story. I think it would be nice if a bunch more people could join us. Comments are also really good motivation. Let me know what you thought about this chapter, or if you found any mistakes or something odd about it that doesn't make sense.

Spoiler

♦__♦__♦

Special thanks to my Helpful Slime tier patrons: Damian Paradis, Dylan Suomela, Josh Lamsdale-Loyd, Lord Goldmane, Johnathan Jay, Vikks Hallowhaunt, and Gingy! Thank you so much! You are the freaking best!

I also can’t forget to thank my other patrons. They’re the ones who made this web novel possible. My Human, Yuki-Onna, Nekomata, Succubus, Alien, and Kitsune-tier Patrons. Everyone who supports me is the backbone of my endeavors.

Read 45 chapters ahead on my Patreon!

Follow Me!

 | Check Out My Light Novels! | Brandon’s Discord | Twitter (Warning, I Sometimes Tweet NSFW Content) | Facebook | Instagram |

My artist has a Twitter!

| Michiroon |

[collapse]

37