Prologue
1.3k 6 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          Nobody is born equally, for most of history that meant that you were born into a wealthy or poor family or grew up in a certain city or country amongst other factors, those however were all man-made problems. Now it's clear what it means to be born differently.

          It all started in Keikei city China with the birth of a luminescent baby, the world's first child with a quirk. From there exceptional powers began springing up all across the world, the cause was unclear, time passed and the exceptional became the norm fantasy became reality and as of today 80 percent of the world's population have these powers or as the world has dubbed them ‘Quirks’. With so many people with powers the world was in chaos for many years but from within the chaos a profession came about, one that everyone had at least as a child dreamt about becoming… a hero.

 

***

 

“Dad, can you test me real quick I wanna be sure I pass?”

“Sure Adi, hand me your notes and flash cards and I'll quiz you, who knows maybe I'll throw some question from the real world at you as well.”

My father gave me a toothy grin as he said that, always the funny guy.

“Just try and keep it in moderation dad.”

“Of course my sweet angel, daddy wants you to pass as well, I may not have gone to UA myself but I am aware of how prestigious of a school it is.”

“Thanks dad.”

 

          UA is the most famous and prestigious hero school in the world, turning out most of the famous and powerful heroes in Japan and some top heroes from other countries as well. That is where I wanna go, oh right sorry for the late introduction my name is Adeline Kobayashi I just turned 15 not to long ago and have recently moved to Japan. Although I may have some Japanese looks I have been living in American for my whole life unto a few months ago, this was because my dad lived and worked there. He is American with his parents coming there from Norway and my mom is Japanese, we lived there for 14 years as my dad worked as a pro hero , yes you heard right my dad is the hero ‘Card Shark’ pretty impressive I know, my mom while she also has a quirk wasn’t a hero just and artist. Anyways recently my dad retired and we decided that since the hero work wasn’t holding us there anymore that we should move to where my mom grew up, especially since she still has some family here.

          I was especially happy with this because my dad told me I would be able to enroll in my dream school, UA. Ever since I was taught about heroes from my school and watched some of them on TV and seen my dad’s super cool hero costume, I have wanted to be a hero, fight crime, save the damsel in distress and of course have a cool costume. That is what I am studying for. The UA entrance exam consists of three parts: A written exam where it has normal subject such as math, english, science as well as some morality and hero questions that have been taught in middle school. Next is the practical exam where we demonstrate our abilities in some way, it changes every year so I'm not sure what it'll be. Last is the interview where you sit down and are asked questions, they don't release what kind of questions and my dad wouldn't tell me either, so I am going in blind for that.

          For the written portion I feel pretty good for, I've been studying my ass off for a few months so as long as I don't have a brain fart during the exam I should at least pass. The interview no clue but the practical i should do very well, why you ask it's because I have an awesome quirk.

 

***

 

          While there has been a lot of studies done on quirks, some in those early years that were not very ethical had led to a greater understanding of quirks, from what is taught Quirks are a genetic mutation similar to some people being able to fold their tongues into a taco shape except this was much more extreme and sudden to say the least. One thing that was discovered is that if one parent as a quirk then the child had a higher likelihood of getting either the same or similar quirk and if both parents have quirks a child can either get one or a combination of both their quirks. There is also the possibility that a child with both parents having quirks being born quirkless and the opposite is also possible, then there is my case. My father has a quirk called 'Slinger'

◊ 'Slinger' it allows him to throw anything card size or smaller fast and accurate up to 100 meters away up to can throw things up to 80 mph depending on size and density. ◊

           My mother on the other hand has the quirk called 'Drawing'

◊ 'Drawing' this allows here to instantly draw anything she can see or has seen before to the smallest detail. ◊

          Now while my quirk isn't the exact opposite of their quirks it's not the same either. My quirk is called 'Runic'

◊ 'Runic' this allows me to write in runic script what I want to happen on an object and it happens, can decide how long effect lasts or delay depending on amount of information I write or the material it is written on, more information the better the results. ◊

          Not very similar at all to my parents' quirks at all, the closest being that I can remember all of my runes perfectly and write then without messing up other than that it's a true outlier but I freaking love it so much. I can't wait for the entrance exam.

42