Another Day
42 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Another Day: 

 (Earth #8193, Ashcroft Asylum, The Narrows, New-Alexandria, 1995 A.D.)

Richard Moon lights another cigarette, staring out the window of his office overlooking the shadowed courtyard of Ashcroft Asylum. Flashes of lightning illuminate the gnarled, demonic statues that haunt the asylum grounds. The storm outside has been raging all day. Moon breathes a heavy sigh as a hellish chorus of screaming and crying begins to echo throughout the asylum, causing him to cast his gaze across the room towards the old rustic-style oak clock that sits against the back wall of his office.

“Right on time, the lights go out and the nightmares start. It’s always the same.” Moon turns his back to the window, returning to his desk. He takes another long drag of his smoke before extinguishing it in the ashtray beside him. The silence of the room is shattered by the abrupt knocking on his office door. Moon gets up and casually makes his way over to the door. He opens it, gesturing for his visitor to enter. A beautiful young woman steps in and takes a seat in front of his desk.

“Thank you for coming, Dr. Valentine. I know it’s late, but there’s something I would like to discuss with you,” begins Mr. Moon politely as he makes his way back to his desk and sits down.

“No problem sir.”

For the hundredth time Gwendolyn, it’s Mr. Moon” counters Mr. Moon with a chuckle. 

“Of course, sorry so what’s on your mind?” replies Dr. Valentine, smiling warmly.

“I am going to be reassigning three new patients to your care. The other doctors here have been unable to make progress with them, but you have shown potential. I know it’s a lot to ask, and of course, you can refuse. These men are likely the most twisted patients in this place but I have confidence in you.” explains Moon as he places the files of the three patients on the desk before him, gesturing for Dr. Valentine to take them.

“Of course sir. If you think I can help them then I will gladly do my best.” Dr. Valentine places the three folders safely into her bag.

“I know you will, and thank you. Now, why don’t you go home and get some rest? You shall start treating your new patients tomorrow. Good night doctor.” Moon stands up and makes his way over to the door and opens it once more, gesturing politely for Dr. Valentine to leave.

 

****( Dr. Valentine’s Apartment, The Narrows, New-Alexandria )****

 

As the scorched booming sky over New-Alexandria continues to pour down its frigid deluge upon the dreary city below,  Dr. Valentine finally reaches the door to her tiny roach-trap apartment. Shivering from the cold, her drenched state isn't enough to mask the beauty emanating from her. Her run-down clunker of a car finally gave up the ghost halfway along her route home, leaving her with no choice but to brave the bitter chilling rain for the last dozen or so blocks. She steps inside her dark apartment, locking the door behind her. 

The thunder reverberating outside makes whispers of the constant urban symphony of police sirens, screeching tires and sporadic gunfire. Gwendolyn kicks off her shoes and socks, allowing her bare feet to make contact with the soothing softness of the carpet, grounding her soul to the moment. The day had been a long and exhausting one, and tomorrow promised to be even more difficult, given the three new patients she would take on.

“Another day without her. Another day alone” mutters Gwendolyn to herself as she slowly makes her way into the kitchen, rubbing and bending her neck in an effort to relax the heavy tension that has taken refuge there. Don’t focus on it, Gwen. It’s been three years since she died. Focus on your work and this rut will pass.

Thoughts of uncertainty swirl around in her brain as Gwendolyn pulls out her cell phone from her pocket eyeing it apprehensively. Maybe I should... No! Don’t do this to yourself, Gwen. Don’t think about them. They made their choices and you made yours. They couldn’t accept you for who you are so forget them, they’ve already forgotten about you. She sets the cell phone down on the counter, placing her work bag beside it. Gwendolyn opens the fridge, her soaked black slacks clinging tightly to her lower body as she bends over to retrieve a nice cold beer. Gwendolyn shuts the fridge door with her hip as she twists the cap off the bottle in her hand, causing a faint cool mist to escape from the bottle’s mouth.

She takes a long swig of the cold brew followed by a deep sigh as she turns her head towards the hallway that leads to the bathroom and bedroom beyond that. What am I still doing here? She’s no longer here so why am I? I could transfer to another city. Gwendolyn takes another long swig as she starts making her way towards the bathroom, her mind set on a soothing hot bath. She casts off her rain-drenched coat over her old leather sofa as she passes it. Gwendolyn stumbles her way towards the bathroom downing the last of her beer as she reaches the bathroom door.

Gwendolyn peels off her soaked black button-up shirt, a slight exhale of relief escaping her delicate red lips. She can already feel her body relax even more as her feet finally make contact with the cool smooth tiles of the bathroom floor. She tosses her soaked button-up shirt to the floor, quickly joined by her drenched black slacks and panties as she fumbles her way over to the tub.

Pleasure trembles through her as she slowly submerges herself into the soothing warm waters of the bath. Sliding lower into the tub she lets herself get lost in the gentle, calming heat of the water. Her soft, slender fingers start to wander down her body, making their way to the delicate entrance of her velvet sanctuary. Yes… Yes, you need this… Just a little won’t hurt. Gwendolyn lets the desire for release take her as her gentle dancing fingers work their tender magics; she knows it will help. She whimpers with sweet euphoria as the burning electric feeling of orgasm surges through her body. Her supple bosom heaves with intensified breathing as her blood ignites. Her back arches forward and her toes curl as her pleasure reaches its zenith casting her down into the sparking afterglow. Minutes pass by unnoticed as the tingling slows to a stop and her brief moment in heaven fades. Enjoy this time Gwen, tomorrow is coming and it’s not going to be easier.

After about thirty minutes in the bath. Gwen climbs out of the tub and grabs her cozy nearby bathrobe from the wall hook. Stepping back into the hall she walks towards the bedroom door and rests her head tenderly against it as she ghosts her hands over its surface, but dares not open it. How can the door even smell like her after all this time? Why won’t her lingering presence leave me alone? She allows herself a moment, her fingers tracing the wooden frame softly, before returning to her senses. What are you doing? You know you can’t sleep in there, too many memories. 

Gwendolyn turns and instead strides over to the nearby living room sofa where her trusty pillow and blanket are already waiting for her. She lays down on the sofa and reaches for the TV remote desperate for some sort of distraction. She flips on the T.V. and begins surfing through channels, none of them satisfying or interesting so she settles on the news. More stories of Knight-Raven sightings and criminals caught followed by weather forecasts and corporate bullshit happenings.

“It was announced today that Turing-Tech Industries and Lothrin-Industries will be mutually overseeing a joint-venture in the form of a new subsidiary company known as Delphi-Tech. Delphi-Tech is to serve as a mutual research and development entity to both corporations for the betterment of all mankind.” drones some blonde dip-shit news anchor as Gwendolyn closes her eyes and lets the rambling nonsense of the T.V. lull her off to sleep.

 

 ***( Varanuchi’s Restaurant, Mid-Town, New-Alexandria )***

 

“Our news made quite a splash today. Word is Edison is pissed about our joint-venture. He really thought you were going to go with his proposal,” muses Anya as Oskar gestures to a passing waiter to refill his glass.

“Yeah, no shit. According to my secretary, when she gave him the news that I was following through with your proposal instead of his, he looked like he was about to blow a gasket” replies an amused Oskar as he gestures a ‘head explosion’ with his hands.

“With the expansive assets of both our companies we could really do a lot of global good here. Through Delphi-Tech we could change the world. With the right focus of course,” continues Anya, cutting up more of her steak.

“I assume you have said focus in mind.” quips Oskar playfully.

“As a matter of fact I do but Oskar what I am about to tell you does not leave this table. Do you understand?” presses Anya, before downing the last bite of her steak.

“Or what? You’ll have to kill me?” teases Oskar.

“I mean it, Oskar,” growls Anya, staring Oskar firmly in the eyes.

“Fine… fine. At least now I get to know the real reason you wanted us to start Delphi-Tech together” responds Oskar, leaning forward in his chair.

“Three nights ago I was visiting my parents when something happened. I got a warning. An impossible warning but one that cannot be ignored.” continues Anya, leaning in as well.

“What do you mean impossible?” asks Oskar, taking another gulp from his glass.

“I mean ‘from another universe’ impossible. It was so strange. The world suddenly went quiet, as if nothing else existed. Dead silent. Then came a sound, a distortion… like steadily growing static. It got so loud it was overwhelming and then I heard something, a voice inside the static calling my name. Monica and I…” Oskar sprays wine from his mouth off to the side of the table in shock causing Anya to stop mid-explanation.

“Monica as in Monica Bathory. Dead girl with a passion for blood-drinking and not showing up in mirrors?” interrupts Oskar. Anya nods.

“Well shit, this story just keeps getting better, anyways continue” mutters Oskar leaning backward in his chair. Anya takes a quick drink from her glass and then continues his explanation.

“As I was saying, Monica and I looked towards the noise and there between my parents' headstones was some sort of red sparking rift. The voice was calling out to me from inside it. I approached the portal and when I did something happened. This badly injured young girl in a damaged black and violet combat suit burst out of the rift and clung to me desperately. She seemed shell-shocked. I pulled her from the rift. I’m telling you Oskar, she was hurt badly. She could not have been more than fourteen. She was frantic, terrified like she had just been through hell, you know” Oskar nods immersed in what Anya is telling him “She pulled me in close and gave me something, whispering something to me.” explains Anya, her gaze firmly on Oskar as her eyes narrow.

“And you're sure you weren't dreaming?” counters Oskar with a grin.

“I’m serious Oskar. I spend my life instilling fear in others and yet I have never seen anyone as terrified as she was.” presses Anya placing a strange silver crystalline device of some kind down on the table in front of Oskar. Oskar picks it up and examines it as he shifts in his seat breathing in the harsh gravity of the moment before turning back to Anya.

“What did she whisper to you?” asks Oskar with a new found seriousness.

“She was so weak the warning was short and thus not very detailed. She said ‘It’s coming. It’s coming. They’re gone… They’re all gone.’ After that, she passed out so Monica and I took the girl up to Lothrin Manor. She has spent the last three days lying in a coma in the Knight-Gallery Med-Bay. She seems to be stable but I have no idea when she will wake up. Tenjin was able to access the device, establishing a connection to the A.I.; Liahona. She stored herself on the device, to aid us in dealing with the coming threat. With her help, Tenjin and I have spent the past three nights deciphering the device’s contents and response planning.”  Anya finishes as she gestures to the device in Oskar’s hands.

“How bad is this ‘coming danger’ exactly? Like on a scale of bad to mega-disaster?” asks Oskar.

“How about apocalyptic” responds Anya, her tone flat and heavy with the severity of the matter.

“What kind of timetable are we looking at?” inquires Oskar downing the rest of his glass.

“Three months, according to the device."

“Shit. Well, good thing you came to me right away,” responds Oskar in a mixture of surprise and concern.

“What exactly do we know about this girl?” asks Oskar, gesturing for another refill.

“That device contains a complete profile on her, me, you, Monica and our dear friend, Anko De La Vega. According to her profile, her name is Buffy Lothrin-Bathory. Born on Earth N.E.V. 11 in the year 1981 in Boston to Jacob and Nora Millar. She is fourteen years old and is something called a ‘Super-Speedster’. Apparently, she goes by the code-name ‘Silver-Light’. Her profile says she became an orphan at age six when her parents were killed by the State and here's the real crazy part; she was then smuggled into New-Alexandria and adopted in secret by Anya and Monica Lothrin-Bathory.” explains Anya with an uneasy smirk.

“Well there’s a hell of a lot to unpack there.” counters Oskar with a chuckle.

“Wait… You said her parents were killed by ‘the State’?” presses Oskar, confused.

“Yeah and by 'State' I mean Nazis. In the history of her Earth, the Nazis won the war. So, what do you think?” asks Anya sternly.

“I think I want to see what’s on this device for myself” answers Oskar standing up and putting back on his blazer.

“Yes I thought you might.” counters Anya smiling as they both make their way out of the restaurant.

0