1.A Human Beginning VII
29 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Year 10, Day 167

I’m updating this diary for perhaps the last time considering the gravity of the situation. We’re going far beyond the Southern Sea to fight the approaching tundra.

Before you start to wonder, yes, I do mean the environment is literally gaining on us. When thrown into supernatural worlds, we always think about the supernatural situation we can imagine through our knowledge and imagination, not the ones where somehow your bed devours you in your sleep during a pitstop in an inn.

God damn that bed. Rest in peace Claire, you were one of the best.

We determined the source of this approaching climate is a giant turtle with an icy Domain. The animal in question is enormous and carrying the tundra on its back towards us. 

While a domain shouldn’t be possible yet for anyone, it seems it has hyper-specialized as an Island Turtle focused on this icy climate. These species are mostly pacific and live as islands that move from time to time. As they age, they gain abilities that affect their on-shell climates such as increased yield, better stability, temperature control, and others of the type.

As a creature that relies on symbiosis with the species that decide to live on its back, it’s beyond rare for one to choose to rely on an icy tundra, an environment known as hostile to most life forms.

The life forms in question that chose to live there clearly have a part in all of this as our probing revealed that they are glorified polar bears that resemble polar bears with runic markings drawn on their furs. While they didn’t respond to our attempts at communication, the spark of wisdom in their eyes and the civilization level we’ve observed proves they’re not just Monsterkind and have access to Skills. 

We suspect they’re growing beyond what the turtle can provide and started to plan an invasion using the turtle’s ability to create an optimal environment for themselves. Unluckily for them and us, they chose an inhabited coastal city, Blue Reef, as an entry point and refused to change their course even after repeated attempts. This forces our hand to act as time is too short to relocate the city.

While they are still quite far at sea, its effects have already started affecting the continent and dropping the temperature by quite a few degrees. We’ve gone from an early summer temperature feeling to fall temperature levels.

The plan is to send multiple adventurer teams at different entry points to strike and try to reach the turtle’s reverse scale at the center and strike the weak point. The turtle should stop after a few hits to it, hopefully still alive. Should it not stop, we will have the heavy responsibility to strike down such an incredible creature, a rare variant of an already rare creature.

Random thought, but considering it generates its own climate, does that count as an environmental disaster since we’re forcefully destroying a climate?

Anyway, should we not survive, I’m giving this journal for safekeeping to the current adventurer’s guild master.

If you seek information that isn’t noted in the main journal, check the backside for specific sections and addendums. I tried to condense particular sections there so they’re not bogged down by my narrative.

 

Godspeed, dear Origin Reader,

John, Technological Pioneer.

 

Shorter chapter today that is compensated by the 2 chapters it's in between being longer than usual.

As such, stay hyped for the Arc's finale tomorrow!

Until next page!

3