Take to the Skies
67 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Take to the Skies:

(Earth #8189, Zorrin-Tower, New York City, New York, New-Years Eve 2012)

"Come on, we’re getting the fuck out of here. There's a chopper waiting on the roof." presses Edward to his younger brother as Ash continues to stare out the window. From sixty stories up he gazes down upon the chaotic war-zone stretched-out below him. He looks down at the burning once-great city of New York before turning to his brother, his mind filled with fearful thoughts about all that has happened over the past week. What happened? Why has the world turned upside down? it still didn't feel real to him. Explosions boom throughout the city piercing the hellish cacophony of screams and gunshots. Ash's deep sapphire eyes meet his brother’s as tears begin to fall.

"How did it come to this? Those people down there, they're all going to die aren't they?" cries Ash. Edward stares for a moment, his eyes cold.

"Their survival is inconsequential. Now come on!" Edward turns as the door to the office bursts open. Three large Zorrin-Industries guards dressed in full combat armor carrying M4s at the ready. One of them nods to Edward who responds in kind.

"Ash please, they have already breached the lower floors. We have to move now." presses Edward in a now soft, pleading voice. His little brother nods, casting one last look out the window before quickly making his way over to his brother's side. Edward scoops Ash up into his arms holding him close as a massive explosion erupts just a few city blocks away as every light in the building goes dark.

"Damn it, that explosion just took out the primary electrical station for this part of the city. Flashlight attachments on" orders Edward as his three guards turn on their flashlight attachments.

"Keep it tight and stay alert." barks Edward, gesturing for the three Zorrin-Industries guards to take point. Everything seems to stop for a moment; silence fills the air as everyone takes a second to focus on what they are about to do until at last Ash leans in close to his brother's ear.

"I'm scared," whispers Ash.

"It's going to be okay. Just close your eyes and whatever you do… don't peek" whispers Edward to his little brother in a soft yet stern voice. Ash nods and shuts his eyes tight. Edward gives the signal and the lead guard kicks open the door, launching it off its hinges. Taking point, the three guards begin leading the way steadily down the hall towards the stairway that leads to the roof. They reach the end of the first corridor taking a left turn before proceeding up a flight of stairs followed by another right turn leading up another flight of stairs. The sounds of feral screeches and moans echo through the building growing louder and louder. The subtle rumble of thousands of feet rushing towards them from the floors below echoes all around them as they proceed up the stairwell towards the roof, towards salvation.

"Cover your ears Ash" instructs Edward. Ash nods and covers his ears as the guards turn towards the sound of the oncoming horde. It’s gonna be okay. Don’t be afraid. Big brother will protect me. It’s gonna be okay.

"Light em up!" orders Edward as the first wave closes in on them causing a chaotic cacophony of gunfire to reverberate through the stairwell. The first volley drops the first wave of infected in rows as hundreds more rush towards them. Like samurai fighting in desperate defense of their beloved lord, the three gaurds lay down a constant stream of fire, dropping the infected by the dozens as they try to ascend the stairs. Head-shot after head-shot, the infected fall as thousands more join the fray until suddenly the lead guard’s ammo clip runs dry.

"Back it up!" shouts Edward, their group proceeds moving backwards up the stairway behind them as the guards reload. A second broken symphony of gunfire fills the air as more of the undead fall by the dozens. Click… Click… Down goes the lead guard as his gun hits empty just in time to make him easy prey for a sprinting group of infected. The first infected to reach him tackles him, knocking him to the ground and biting deep into his throat painting the stairs with his blood. The spilled blood lures more of the infected to turn and begin feeding on the downed guard.

"Drop frag and haul ass!" orders Edward causing the remaining guards to both let-loose frag grenades as their whole remaining group turns rushes up the res of the stairway. They reach the roof, jamming the door behind them as a passenger plane comes plummeting down out of the sky. The plane crashes with a massive eruption of fire and metal barely two city-blocks north of their position. The explosion sends a devastating wave of large shrapnel and wreckage ripping and smashing into the surrounding city buildings.

Ash opens his eyes as they make their way over to the Zorrin-Industries Combat-Chopper. They all climb in and begin their ascent. Ash shudders in terror and disgust as he looks down at the site of the plane crash only to see dozens of grotesque burning bodies flooding out of the wreckage of the crashed plane like hungry beasts, surging in mass towards what looks like a group of people stranded on top of a flipped-over S.W.A.T. Van. Ash watches as the group on the S.W.A.T. Van tries frantically to fend off the massive horde of infected swarming around them. Tears stream from his eyes at the sight of their desperate efforts to survive and protect one another knowing deep down in his heart that despite their efforts they were all going to die.

The Zorrin-Industries Combat-Chopper continues its ascent as it makes its way over the city heading north. Ash could see smoke trails from missiles and tracer rounds darting throughout the next section of the city ahead of them.

"What's going on?? Those people are fighting each other. Why are they trying to kill each other instead of working together?" asks Ash, his voice filled with mournful confusion.

"It's because they’re afraid, Ash. Fear twists men's minds and makes them monsters. They feel abandoned by God and all that they had once believed in. They know the end has come and they are afraid. They lash-out seeking to blame someone, anyone for the horrors that they now face. Blaming each other is easier because they can't bear to blame themselves." explains Edward coldly. Ash nods silently.

"Take us higher maybe, we can slip by unnoticed" orders Edward to the pilot as down below them on a high roof-top stands a man armed with an Stinger-Missile. The man takes notice of them and with a wicked grin fires another round.

"Fuck! Fuck, someone down there just locked on to us. Hold on to something." shouts the pilot as a howling Stinger-Missile comes streaming towards them.

1