Vol. 2 Chapter 12- Urzuran’s Will
31 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The closer they came to where the Hidaar waited, the more Azrath’s fear grew. It was as if they were approaching a mountain he had spotted from a distance. The closer they got, the more the mountain’s sheer size loomed over them until its breadth consumed them. 

Why had he ever thought this was a good idea? Even if he had Urzuran’s power for himself, he doubted his chances. But it wasn’t him who was going to fight. It was not Urzuran’s will that he fight. 

Ever since he had met Noel and found out she bonded to the hilt, he had wondered why. Why her? And why had the sword bonded to her in the first place? It was highly unusual for Eingh to behave in that way. There were stories of sentimental objects being used as talismans for channeling Eingh. One of his schoolmates used his favorite toy as a weapon that no one else could use. Another used her baby blanket to make her and only her invisible. But that was the closest connection to this phenomenon that he could think of. And it still made no sense. Noel had no sentimentality towards the hilt or Urzuranunless she really liked pens. To the point of obsession. But that was unlikely. 

The only solid theories he had were that Earth’s magic had changed the nature of Urzuran’s Eingh or that Urzuran’s will was to have Noel specifically use His power. He had not told Noel his second theory. To be chosen by Urzuran was of the utmost honor, but Noel wouldn’t see it that way, no doubt about it. She seemed to hold something against the cosmic flow, and it was obvious she didn’t want him to know why. 

That was fine with him. It didn’t matter what Noel thought of the flow; fate would guide them true. It was Urzuran’s will for her to fight. Who was he to challenge it? He would not try to defy His will again. 

But that didn’t stop the guilt from threatening to crush him beneath its foot. A thousand ifs and thens ran through his mind. If I hadn’t wanted to act the hero, then Noel wouldn’t have to fight. If I wasn’t such a coward, then I wouldn’t have felt the need to take the sword with me. If I hadn’t betrayed Emué, then where would we be?

It didn’t matter how much he regretted; he could not change what had happened. All he could do was trust in Urzuran and the cosmic flow. Whether the results were good or bad depended on one’s perception of events. 

Far sooner than Azrath had hoped, they had reached their destination. Noel had made really good timeor bad time, he thought. So, he took a deep breath and yelled at the top of his tiny lungs. As he did, he prayed silently to Urzuran with all his might. Please, Master, wherever you are, please keep her safe.

2