Vol. 3 Chapter 27- Dinner with Darris
22 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Darris used the pads of his fingers to open the unlocked window.

“There now, I thought they’d never leave.”

Noel was too shocked to speak, but Darris didn’t appear to care as he continued.

“And there I was, thinking they’d stand guard over you all night. Not that it matters. Very good, though, lying to them like that. You were wise to not want them involved. I’d rather it be just between you and me. No need to involve any innocents. Isn’t that right, Noel Harmony Miller?”

The use of her middle name spurred Noel into speech.

“Y-you know my name?”

“Yes indeed. It wasn’t very difficult.” Darris paused, lifting a hand, which, to Noel’s surprise, held a slightly squashed cheeseburger. “Oh, do you mind if I eat while I explain? I haven’t eaten a proper meal in so long, and I just happened to find this in your icebox.”

 He popped the sandwich into his mouth, which looked like a slider in his hand, and proceeded to chew carefully. “Oh, my gracious, that’s delicious! Though I suppose anything would taste good after a week of no food.” There was a rustling of paper as he pulled up another one and ate that too. He held up his other hand, a black booklet between his fingers as he chewed. Her visa. “Noel Harmony Miller. Born December 19th, 1988, in Des Moines, Iowa. Have to say, you have a most unusual name. As does your brother, Daniel.” The hand holding her visa disappeared for a moment—the other one shoving the third and last cheeseburger into Darris’s mouth—then returned, holding another visa. He began to read this one aloud, “Daniel Stanza Miller, born November 4th, in the year of our Lord, 1998, in Davenport, Iowa. Now, how about that?” He lowered the visa hand again. “I could also tell you about your Aunt Jillian Carole Stillwater if you like. But I think you get the idea. It’s amazing what you can find with a little investigating.”

Noel was trembling. He must have followed her, the bastard. And somehow snuck around the house without being noticed. Noel had no idea how he had done it with his size, but he managed it somehow if he was holding their visas—which had been locked in Aunt Jillian’s desk— and their food in his hands.

“Why?” That was all she could ask. She wanted to scream. To get Jillian so she wouldn’t be so alone. But she didn’t.

Darris smirked, “Why am I here? Or why am I reading out your personal information?”

“Both.”

“So you won’t think of running away. I could always easily track you down, but I thought it would be simpler this way. Now, as I said, I have no desire to involve anyone else. This is a battle between us. However, if you decide to flee, you will have led me to the choice to kill them.”

Noel’s breath caught in her throat. None of this was real. She was still asleep in the policeman’s car.

He continued, “If you decide to tell your family and attempt to flee together—assuming they believe you—then I will kill your neighbors. Then, any of your friends, and so on and so on. See how this works?”

Darris lifted his hand again, this time containing the box of cold French fries Noel had refused to eat. He used his nails to take one out and put it in his mouth. As Darris chewed, he pulled a face, “These are disgusting. How do people eat these?” But he pulled out more and ate them anyway. “But one can’t be too choosy, I suppose.” He finished the box in less than a minute, making faces of distaste throughout. “Well, now that you understand, I’ll be on my way.” His head sank below her window. Then it reappeared, along with a hand holding the large paper bag the food had come in, “Oh yes, I believe you forgot this.” He placed the bag on her desk, which immediately began to rustle.

Darris smiled again, “Well, ta-ta for now, Noel. I’ll be waiting for you whenever you’re ready. Don’t disappoint me.”

And with that, he was gone, shutting the window as he vanished.

Noel just sat there, unable to process what had just happened. Her eyes automatically moved to the bag, which rustled as something tried to break out. After a moment, Azrath popped out of the top, muttering angrily.

“That Sah! What is he playing at, stuffing me in a bag? If I were in my original form, the things I would do to him!” He turned to look at Noel, and his face fell. “Noel. I’m sorr—I know you don’t want to see me, but Darris insisted I come back to you. Something about you needing moral support. I don’t know what he could—Noel?”

Noel had stood and moved over to her bed. She lifted her blanket, got under them, and covered her entire body, head to toe. After bringing her knees to her chest, Noel no longer moved.

She just lay there and let the storm wash over her.

3