Vol. 4 Chapter 35- The Zeroth
19 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So, how'd it go?" Tykus was lounging against the cave wall when Kaas entered the darkness of the Zeroth.

"Poor. Very poor."

Tykus grunted, "I can see that. Always drawing unwanted attention, aren't you, Kaas? Did you at least manage to get some useful information?"

Kaas nodded, "Not only did I find out if the rumors were true, but I've also figured out why the Hidaar was skulking around here." It would take a little time for Kaas's eyes to adjust to the darkness so that he couldn't read Tykus's full expression. But his luminous grey eyes narrowed.

"You smell like blood," he said. Tykus sounded accusatory.

"Don't worry. It's not mine. Or at least, most of it's not."

"Is that why your ear is torn to shreds, then?"

Kaas touched the wound that Vir inflicted on him. It stung a little, but his natural healing had already started closing the hole. In a few minutes, it would be gone entirely.

"If you didn't want to be caught, you should have asked Ludd to cover you up," said Tykus.

"And risk exposing his Talent to the other Ahngreel? Not a chance." Ludd was a rare find. He would not risk losing such a valuable soldier.

"Come," said Kaas looking around the area. There were a few Ahngreel around, slumped against the wall as Tykus had been. Unlike Tykus, though, these Ahngreel looked empty. "Let's not talk here. Where are the others?"

"They were back in the cave when I left."

"Very well then, let's go."

They walked together through the dark in silence. The only source of light being the eyes of the Ahngreel, who stared at the ground and could not be bothered sparing them a glance. That was the general atmosphere of the Zeroth. It was where Ahngreel, who could not reach the Second and were too afraid to face death, resided. They were lower than divers. Any Ahngreel worth something would not be able to stand the sight of them. Not Kaas, though.

While it was true that most Zeroth dwellers belonged here as they possessed weak hearts. There was a hidden strength. A select few dwellers possessed something that most Ahngreel refused to see. Kaas had been one of those Ahngreel a long time ago. But his outlook changed upon meeting the child Tykus.

After Kaas's third attempt to climb Desmortia and barely reaching the 20th, he fell into despair. He could make it out of Freelan but not for much longer. Soon, he would be outclassed by even the weakest Ahngreel. Without a will to live yet still fearing death, Kaas descended to the Zeroth to live out eternity in the darkness.

That was when he met Tykus. As Kaas sat in the dark, brooding, a child with a shaggy black mane came running up to him. He was a rambunctious boy who did not seem to realize where he was.

"Fight me, old man!" he had yelled at Kaas. The boy raised his fists.

Kaas blinked. "Old man?" He wasn't that old. Only four thousand. "Where do you get off disrespecting your Hidaar?" He stopped as the realization washed over him. He was no longer Hidaar. And he would never be again.

But the boy didn't back off. "I don't care if you're the diving Everflow! Get up and fight me. What? You scared?"

"No, I'm not scared, brat. You're not worth my time. Leave me be."

Tykus stiffened. "You're just like the rest of them, then. All those Ahngreel who laugh at me. Just because my Talent stinks doesn't mean I'm not Ahngreel!" Tears of rage formed in the boy's eyes which he hid behind his arm. "Fine! I just thought you were strong enough to take me seriously."

The boy turned to run back into the darkness, but Kaas grabbed his forearm to stop him. He was surprised to feel muscle beneath his finger. How old was this child? Eight? Nine? And yet his arm felt like it belonged to an older Ahngreel.

"Hold on, boy. Just what do you mean by that?"

Tykus looked back at him dismissively. "Nothin'. I just thought you looked strong. And only the strong take the weak seriously." 

Playing to my ego, eh? The boy was bold. Kaas had to give him that. Maybe he should go along with the kid's whim so he could teach him a lesson in proper Zeroth etiquette. Everyone down here was supposed to be miserable.

"Alright, you win." Kaas let go of Tykus and pushed on his knee to stand. Then he raised his fists. "Come at me."

The boy brightened and raised his fists in response. "I promise I won't disappoint you, Hidaar!"

With that, the boy charged at him and tried to sink his tiny fist into Kaas's torso, but Kaas stepped aside. Tykus stumbled past, his fist smashing into the stone wall Kaas had just been sitting against.

"Ow!" yelled Tykus cradling his fist, which began to bleed.

Kaas smirked and added insult to injury by kicking the boy in the rear. Tykus's face collided with the wall, and he crumpled.

"Hmph, stupid kid. Hope that teaches you a lesson about challenging stronger opponents."

Kaas turned and was about to walk off into the depths to find another wall to sulk against when he felt a tug on the cuff of his pant leg. He looked down to see Tykus's bloody hand quivering as he pulled himself toward Kaas.

"Wait…" he said. He grabbed Kaas's pants with his other hand and began to pull himself to his feet. "I'm not done."

Kaas had to admit this boy had caught his interest. So, he let Tykus climb his leg.

It took the boy several seconds to stagger to his feet, and when he did, he once more raised his fist.

"Let's do this. And don't hold back. I won't either."

Kaas stared at the boy for a moment before saying, "Very well."

He proceeded to beat Tykus to within an inch of his life.

For his part, the boy fought hard, though it was true that his Talent did stink. But Kaas still found himself impressed. Not by the boy's physical strength, though it was clear that Tykus possessed a tremendous amount for a boy his age.

No, Kaas was impressed because no matter how many times he was knocked down, Tykus kept getting to his feet, ready for more. It was a tenacity even some Saltabiiq did not possess. Why was a boy of such inner strength wasting away in this pit of depression?

That was when he realized the secret kept by the Zeroth. Tykus could not be the only child shunned by society. Most of the weaklings were picked off by opportunists seeking to boost their numbers. But then there were those who were overlooked for various reasons.

As he looked down at the bruised-covered boy, he saw the fierceness in his eyes. Despite his useless Talent, Tykus possessed unparalleled strength. Both physically and in the intensity of his gaze.

Tykus was nowhere near weak. He was true Ahngreel.

That was when his plan began to take form. He did not need to be strong alone. He just needed to surround himself with the strong. Strong Ahngreel who were loyal to him. And who better to make loyal servants than downtrodden children? He would be their savior—the one to take them to the top and make them Equituum, with him as their Hidaar.

It had been a long journey. Kaas had found many recruits. But all had deserted him. Either as cowards who shrank back into the darkness of the Zeroth or as traitors who thought they could challenge the floors alone. All but Tykus, who had been with him every step of the way. He had taken the words Kaas had told him on that fateful day to heart.

"You're strong, boy. But stick with me, and I can make you Champion."

Kaas shot a look of pride at Tykus, who was now a head taller than him.

Tykus noticed his glance. "What?" he said with a scowl. "Why are you staring at me like that, old man?"

"No reason," said Kaas, putting his hands in the pockets of his leather pants. "Just remembered something humorous." Tykus really was a source of pride. He showed just how much of a genius Kaas was for knowing how to pick quality soldiers. There were none more loyal, more brave, or more powerful than them.

"Well, whatever," said Tykus as they reached a boulder that almost blended into the wall. With a slight grunt, Tykus dug his fingers into the edges of the rock and pulled with all his strength. It was little effort for him to drag it away from the wall, creating a space that was just large enough to slip through, which the two did with a careful glance to check if there were any onlookers. There never were, but it didn't hurt to make sure.

Ah… At last, he was safe. Kaas sighed as he looked in relief at the cave he called home. It was sparsely decorated, with only a few blankets and a pile of clothes in a corner. And barely big enough for the six of them to sleep comfortably. Their cave was humble compared to the upper floors of Sohaud, but it was home.

He expected to be welcomed by his team as they eagerly asked him about his adventures on the numbered floors. But only the twins were there. They were leaning on each other in their usual way, reading a book together. Aaska held the front cover, and Naaro held the back. They barely acknowledged him before returning their eyes to the page.

Kaas just stood there in stunned disbelief. So much for loyal, brave, and powerful.

3