Vol. 4 Chapter 41- One Among Them
42 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Darris entered the throne room, he looked around to see if anything was amiss. He glanced at the door behind the throne and the entrance to the balcony. Both were still locked. He examined the floor, which remained spotless. He walked through the room, scrutinizing every detail, after which he sat on his throne, staring at the doors. The Equituum were waiting for his summon just behind them. But they could wait a few extra moments as Darris silently gloated to himself.

Poor Kaas…

They were a cautious lot, that they were. But that's what made Kaas so intelligent. And so foolish. Darris smirked. It was all too easy. He knew his plan would work as soon as Vir granted him mercy. Though he would have intervened had she not. All it took was a few rumors and some prodding to get him to go.

Of course, he could have always summoned Kaas and thrown him into the portal himself, but where was the fun in that? And besides, Kaas still had the power to choose. Darris had to respect that. But Kaas's ambition would be his undoing.

Before his trip to the Zeroth, when he had first desired to free Grimlow from his underground prison, Darris barely remembered Kaas. Some also-ran former Hidaar with a chip on his shoulder. Of course, that was also before his trip to Earth. And before meeting Noel.

Upon reflection, he was fortunate to have met one of Kaas's little teammates spying on him in the dark. While he didn't hold them in much regard, he had let them go. But not before they had managed to vent a few frustrations at him. Trivial things like feelings of inadequacy and other such nonsense. Darris had barely listened at the time.

But he remembered. When Noel's training became his priority, he remembered that little Ahngreel and their desire for greatness. That's when he got an idea. Sure, he would find his Equituum with the tournament, but the girl was far too weak to attempt a battle with even the lowest Four.

He had other foes planned, but what Darris needed—rather, what the girl needed were opponents beyond his control. An element of chance that would challenge the girl beyond an organized environment. This was not just another tournament. He had to awaken Noel's true potential as a warrior. And to do that, he needed Kaas to roam about Tokyo. He was a man who had everything to lose.

There was nothing like an opponent with desperation. It was something that most Ahngreel lacked. Not having a fear of death will do that to a person. But Kaas was different.

After realizing what Kaas's "soldier" had told him about Kaas's deepest fear, Darris realized he could use that to his advantage. So, he returned to the underground and struck a deal with the soldier. They just needed to get Kaas and the rest through the portal. That was all. And for that, he would give them a full endorsement.

Darris did not mind. He could empathize with their plight. Sometimes a person needed a bit of a leg up, which Darris was more than happy to give. But to trade your leader for something so simple…

His grin curled outward. Noren had played his role well—hiding in the shadows if Kaas opened the door himself or ready to open it at his call—and so had the spy.

Poor, poor Kaas.

Darris wondered how the man would feel learning that one among his beloved soldiers was a weak link who was willing to break his little chain; that there was a traitor in his midst.  

His blood quivered, and his chest ached at the thought.

Who do you think the traitor is?
  • Tykus Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ludd Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alén Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One/Both of the twins Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There is no traitor Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0
1