Vol. 6 Chapter 63- An Unforeseen Development
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Haruka smiled up at Shun, eyes full of stars. Would this be the moment he would kiss her? But Shun only regarded her with his usual stony stare. She might as well not have been there at all for how little he regarded her. Meanwhile, Ryosuke, local delinquent and Haruka's childhood friend, stood just around the corner. He bawled his fists as he watched the pair gaze into each other's eyes and cursed his cowardice. If only he had plucked up the courage to follow through with that letter.

But he had gotten cold feet. Haruka had always been there for him. Always defended him when others accused him of wrongdoing. She meant the world to him. But she only had eyes for Shun. Popular Shun. Perfect, handsome Shun. And if Ryosuke did not act soon, Haruka's love for him would no longer be one-sided.

But what could he do?

Darris sighed as he closed the book. This was certainly a most unfortunate development. Not only had the letter writer been revealed, but it was the oft-misunderstood Ryosuke. Darris could relate to the boy's struggle for validation. He had a kind heart with a rather rough exterior that made him difficult to approach. Haruka was the one who gave him what he sought. Darris should have figured he had developed feelings for her.

His curiosity for what happens next was only matched by his frustration that he had just finished the latest release. Darris had blasted through the available volumes and had moved on to waiting for each chapter to be released every week. It was irksome yet deeply satisfying when he finally got his hands on the latest magazine. The other stories that shared its pages were adequate, but nothing compared to Fluttering Sakura Kiss. He could not put into words how invested he was in these adolescents and their romantic drama.

It was rather undignified to be leaning against a tree, reading as he waited for news of Kaas's dealings. The little soldier should have gotten Darris's summons and come scurrying, but it was late.

He scanned the park, but no one was among the foliage. The boy, Brinn, should arrive soon as well to give his report on Noel. As far as Darris could tell, things were progressing smoothly. Or they would be if the spy arrived when summoned.

Then he felt its presence. It was weak. Either the Ahngreel was trying to mask it, or it had little power to begin with. Darris did not care either way.

"You're late."

"Forgive me…it was hard to get away."

Darris turned impatient eyes on the Ahngreel, whose name he had long forgotten.

Or had he ever learned it in the first place? For the life of him, Darris couldn't bother to remember. Nor could he remember its gender. Honestly, it was hard to tell with Ahngreel. And ten thousand years among them did nothing to change his desire to learn. "Well, what are Kaas's plans? Anything concrete."

A shake of the head.

"Nothing?"

"No. He's being cautious…Says he's waiting for an opportunity when the girl's alone."

Darris crossed his arms. "That stubborn fool. If he doesn't act soon, the girl will outclass him. And you. You don't want to be left behind, do you?"

"…of course not." The Ahngreel's hands were clenched in frustration.

Darris smirked as he tried to summon a modicum of pity. "Well, lucky for you, that opportunity is imminent. The girl will be alone without her family, the bird, or even me to watch over her."

"When?"

"In a little over one month. The girl's class will be planning to take a trip to a mountain town. I'm planning a little something myself, but you need to ensure Kaas is there as well. If he won't choose to act himself, then I suppose I must do it for him." The Ahngreel had his chance to attack when the girl was weaker, but now it was too late. The real training had begun.

The Ahngreel said nothing, eyes fixed upon the ground. "…after I do that, you'll acknowledge me?"

"Indeed. With my endorsement, you'll get everything you've ever desired."

"What about Kaas? And everyone else?"

"What about them?" Darris waited for an answer, but none came. "After they've fought the girl, I don't care what happens to them. They could die or stay here for all I care."

The Ahngreel's face was neutral. But if Darris was not mistaken, he thought he detected a twinge of regret.

"You're not doubting your choices, are you?"

Another shake of the head. "I'm…willing to do what it takes. That's the Ahngreel way…. I am just a leaf, after all."

"Good on you," said Darris with a smile. A leaf? What was it on about?

Utter nonsense, that's what. Ahngreel were all the same. Just a little taste of glory was all it took to abandon their values. How petty, yet admirable. "Remember, make it seem as though it was his idea, just as before. Now go before you're missed."

The Ahngreel nodded and began to walk away in quiet contemplation. There was almost an air of gloom about it.

That was not his only reason for letting Kaas's soldier loose. He could sense Brinn's aura approaching. He could not let the two meet lest Brinn blab to the girl about stray Ahngreel.

The little soldier was not quite out of sight before Brinn approached. His eyes were fixed on the broad back of the Ahngreel as it disappeared. "Who was that?"

"Never you mind," said Darris with a glance at Brinn. Then he did a double take as his eyes took in his hideous shirt. "What on Earth are you wearing, boy?"

Brinn grinned as he puffed out his chest, which made the illustration of the cat on his chest stretch into a grimace of suffering. "You like it? Noel gave it to me!"

"Did she now?" Darris couldn't help but be impressed. In less than two days, Brinn had already gained the girl's trust. Or at least enough for her to impart one of her possessions. "I take it things are progressing well?"

"Oh, yeah. We're gonna start trainin' here tomorrow."

"Excellent!" At least something was going right. The girl was far too wound up for her own good. If she was to reach the next level, she needed someone in whom to confide. He had hoped that Hilqamaar would be the one, but when he revealed his true nature, Darris thought better of it. "What do you think of the girl?"

"She's a bit odd," said Brinn as he brushed his shirt until it was smooth. "But I dunno, she's also pretty fun."

"Fun, you say?" Darris's interest was piqued.

"Yeah, she has the goofiest reactions to so many things. And she's small and soft. I've been trying to find the right word to describe her. There's something about her face that I like. And her hair. How it's all shiny when the sun hits it. And those weird little bangs she has.

"And then there's her eyes. There's so much determination in them. I understand why you want me to train her…What?" Brinn flashed him a look of concern.

Darris closed his mouth and relaxed his eyebrows. "I…just…." Now, this was an interesting development. Darris knew the Ahngreel was bold. But not that bold. Very much the opposite of Ryosuke, despite their similar appearances. The volume of Sakura Kiss weighed a bit heavily in his pocket. But he pushed his feelings aside for the moment. "You're making good progress, that is all."

"Yeah? So, how long have I got to train her? "Cause I was thinking—"

"A month."

Brinn looked stunned at that, "A month?!" Then he paused, "Wait? How long is that on Earth?"

"Thirty days."

Buster's expression was blank. It reminded Darris a little of Kaas's soldier.

"Thirty light cycles," Darris added with a roll of his eyes.

"Ooooh," said Brinn with a slow nod, "That's still not very long. I can tell she has talent, but even she might struggle to keep up."

"Which is why you should spend as much time as you can with her." He once more began to feel the weight of the book.

Brinn appeared sheepish, "I'll do my best, but I kinda sorta…got myself a part-time job."

Darris blinked as he absorbed what Brinn had just said. "You what?!"

The boy did not quell under Darris's furious gaze, but he did rub the back of his neck.

"My bad."

"'Your bad?' What happened to being discreet, as I told you?"

"Uh…I was a little too eager to begin training?" He flashed Darris a grimace.

Darris was at a loss for words, especially as Brinn explained the events that transpired the past few days. Hilqamaar, this boy was not. But the girl saw something in him if her gifting Brinn a shirt was anything to go by. He supposed he should let things play out a bit longer.

Who knew? A month was a fairly long time. Some new…developments may occur. Something most unforeseen.

He felt his impatience for next week's chapter grow ever sharper.

1