Vol. 7 Chapter 70- Mr. Ono
2 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ever since Darris had given her the dead officer's ID card, she had kept it safe in her drawer until she could figure out what to do with it. Only, she hadn't had any clue where to start.

She had seen the single news cast that reported the man's disappearance, but beyond that, it was as if Officer Sakuraba had never existed. Some nights, Noel would sit at her desk and stare at the little plastic card and wonder what she should do with it. Should she mail it to a police station? Or drop it off in secret? That would only bring unwanted attention, even if she pulled it off successfully. It was impossible to find Officer Sakuraba now.

His body was gone forever. Melted inside the stomach of a ginkrat. Just the thought made Noel sick. If the police ever somehow found evidence of their brother-in-arms, it wouldn't lead to anything but a dead end. Or just death if they miraculously traced his murder to Darris. 

Before, it was easy to tell herself that the perfect chance would come, which was little more than an excuse to procrastinate. But now, her chance had come. And Noel found herself frozen at the sight of Officer Sakuraba's son begging on his knees with tears in his eyes. 

"I can see it in your face, princess," Goro said, wiping his tears away, "I'm right, aren't I. You know what happened to my dad. Please, I need to know what happened to him."

"I…" Noel did not know how to answer him. What a horrible twist of fate that the one person who could ease her conscience about Officer Sakuraba was the man who had assaulted her with no remorse. Even now, as he knelt in front of her, he had not apologized for what he did. Not that she would have forgiven him. 

She looked to Buster for help, but the Ahngreel seemed to be in his own world; a million miles away.

Noel had half a mind to lie to Goro and tell him she knew nothing. But that would not bring closure for Officer Sakuraba. There was also the issue of trying to explain to him the exact nature of his father's disappearance. If she were to tell Goro, where would she start?

Luckily, she did not have to debate further as a voice cut through her thoughts. 

"Goro! I thought that was you! What're you doing to that poor girl!"

A man had entered the alley. Noel recognized him as the crepe man that they had been talking to earlier. 

Goro stiffened, "Uncle! Leave us alone! This has nothing to do with you."

Uncle?! This was creeping beyond normal fate and into curse territory. 

"The hell it does," said the crepe man marching further and stopping just short of the prone Goro, "I've been sticking my neck out for you, telling people you've change; letting you stay with us as you get your act together. And here I find you harassing another young lady. You're an embarrassment!" He faced Noel and bowed deeply. "Forgive my nephew, he's been obsessed with interrogating every foreign girl he sees. Thinks that they'll help him find his father for whatever reason."

"But Uncle!" Goro raised his head to look between the three of them, "This is her! I recognize her from–" He cut himself off.

The crepe man's eyes narrowed, "From what, Goro. Finish what you were going to say."

Goro's open mouth quivered for a moment as he tried to find the words, "From…

uh…She's the one we…"

He went silent as his eyes fell downward. The crepe man stared down at his nephew as rage creeped into his usually kind face. "You mean that this is the girl you and those idiot friends of yours attacked?" He turned sharp eyes to Noel. "Is this true?"

Under that laser-like gaze, Noel felt she had no choice but to nod. Buster seemed to come out of his trance as his eyes sharpened.

"You mean, this guy hurt you, Noel?

Noel nodded again, "At least…he tried to."

 Without another word, the crepe man raised a foot and brought it down on the back of Goro's shoulders. It didn't look hard enough to hurt him, but it did force them downward until his head pressed against the ground.

Goro gave a cry, "Gah! What are you doing, Uncle?!" He tried to push up against his uncle's foot, but the crepe man responded with another stomp.

He ground his shoe into Goro's suit jacket, "Apologize, you absolute moron! I bet you didn't think about her feelings at all as you chased after her!" 

"You're hurting me! Get off!" 

"It's no less than you deserve!" said the crepe man. "And you still haven't apologized!"

Goro continued to struggle as he said, "All right! I'm sorry Uncle!" 

"Not to me, idiot! To the girl!"

"I get it! I get it! Just get off of me!" 

At last, the crepe man's foot lifted from Goro's back. Goro took a second to raise his head, "This is so embarrassing…" he murmured. 

"What did you say?!" Goro's uncle raised his foot again, which made his nephew flinch. Then, slowly, he bent down and pressed his forehead once more to the ground. 

"I'm so sorry, princ–Miss Foreigner.What I did to you was unforgivable. I can't apologize for my friends, but I know that they're just as sorry as I am. My dad was right about me. I'm just a hopeless screw up. But I'm trying to be better. For his sake, and for yours."

He looked back up to her. Noel could see the impression of the sidewalk on his forehead. The tears were back in his eyes. "When you beat me, I realized that I wasn't as tough as I thought I was. I vowed to fight you if I ever saw you again. But after I learned my dad disappeared, I…couldn't go back to who I was. My dad spent his entire life trying to straighten me out. I just wish it didn't take him leaving for me to finally get it. I'm sorry."

His forehead returned to the ground as his shoulders shook once more.

Noel could not say that she was able to forgive Goro. But that did not stop her heart from hurting at the pathetic sight of Goro weeping in front of her. The crepe man bent down and pulled Goro to his feet. 

"That's enough of that." The man's voice was quiet. "Go get yourself cleaned up and watch over the shop. I'll be back soon."

Goro's expression was fierce, even through his puffy red eyes. Without a word, he walked past them and shoved his way through a few onlookers who had gathered at the alley mouth. 

When they had started to flock, Noel did not know or care. She hadn't done anything wrong, not this time. But she wished they would go away all the same.

The crepe man seemed to have the same thoughts as he faced the people and bowed to them. "Sorry for all the trouble, but it's all over now. Please leave these people in peace."

After a few silent seconds, the people went about their business. The man turned back to them, rolling his eyes, something Noel had never seen a Japanese person do up until now. Nor had she seen one mutter curses under his breath. 

"Bunch of jackasses hoping to see a show. The nerve of them." He leaned against the wall and bowed his head to pinch the bridge of his nose, eyebrows furrowed. 

He said nothing, which left Noel and Buster to exchange looks. Though her expression was confused, Buster's expression resembled a lost puppy.

He opened his mouth to say something, but Noel shook his head. She mouthed the words Not now as clearly as she could. Buster got the message as he nodded and folded his arms somberly. 

She couldn't be sure why Buster had this sudden change of mood, but Noel could guess it had something to do with his revelation that death was permanent for humans. Wasn't that true for everyone?

Noel couldn't think about that right now. She was much more curious about the crepe man, who hadn't said a word since leaning against the wall. 

"Thank you for what you did. You really helped us out," said Noel with a slight bow. The man gave a start as his hand fell from his face. 

He blinked several times before he smiled at her. "Of course, Miss Foreigner. Sorry. I should probably introduce myself. My name is Ono Junbei–or Junbei Ono if you prefer. You know what, just call me Mr. Ono." He held out a hand to her. Noel stared at it.

Mr. Ono's smile faded, "What's wrong? Have you never seen a handshake before?" 

"I have," said Noel, putting her hand in his to shake, "It's just that I didn't expect it from…well…"

Mr. Ono laughed as he shook a silent Buster's hand, "Most foreigners are surprised, but I'm quite familiar with Western customs. Judging from your accent, I'd say you're from…the Midwest. Indiana?"

Noel's eyes popped, "Iowa!" Most Japanese people had never ever commented on her flat accent before. "Have we been speaking English this whole time?"

Mr. Ono gave her an odd look, "Yes? Isn't that more comfortable for you?"

She had not realized she said that last part aloud. She could feel her cheeks blushing, "Sorry, I was just surprised, that's all. Your accent's pretty good too."

"Well I was born and raised in Ohio. I even lived in Iowa for about five years with my wife. So, I'm quite familiar with the area. What city?"

"Davenfield."

Mr. Ono tilted his head and screwed up an eye in thought, "Davenfield…hm…stumped me with that one, is it near Davenport?" 

"Kinda. It's not really near anything." 

He laughed again, "Sounds like Iowa. The state that's not near anything."

This was almost too much for Noel. Not only was this man Goro's uncle, but he had lived in the same state as her. "So then, what are you doing selling crepes in Japan?"

Mr. Ono smirked at that, "What's wrong with crepes?"

Noel waved a hand defensively, "Nothing, it was just–" 

"Aw, I'm just messing with you," he said jovially, "My sister and I are dual citizens. She moved back here in the eighties, and my family followed her about ten years later." His eyes moved to Buster, "What about you, big guy? You're not from around here, and you can't be related to this one. So, where're you from? Somewhere without much in the way of manners or money like…New Jersey!" 

It was hard to tell whether or not he was joking. Buster tilted his head and glanced at Noel, who gave a slight nod. "Wow. How'd you know…" There was no energy at all in his voice. Very un-Buster. Sure, he was quieter but Noel found herself missing his enthusiasm. He was not the only one to take a turn for the solemn. 

Mr. Ono sighed and massaged the back of his neck, "Sorry, I tend to beat around the bush. I know he doesn't deserve it, but please don't think too harshly about my nephew. He's had it rough."

Noel's temper flared, "That doesn't excuse–"

"I know it doesn't. But Goro's been trying to put his life back in order–getting a proper job and all that–I'm the only family he's got left. I have to believe he can do it." He sighed again and ran his hand over what was left of his hair. "If I don't, who will? My sister passed away almost ten years ago. And with Tenmei gone… The kid needs someone to stick up for him."

Noel was silent, her rage fizzling to embers. She understood. If Goro was anything like her dad, who spent his whole life without anyone on his side, he was less evil than he was lost. It wasn't until mom came into his life that he made the effort to change.

As much as she hated the idea of Goro being in any way similar to her dad, she was glad that someone was willing to believe in him. 

As long as it wasn't her. 

"I wish you both the best." she managed to say. 

He smiled at her, "Thank you, miss–?" 

"Noel. And this is Buster," she pointed at the disguised Ahngreel who gave a quiet nod.

"Noel, huh. Well, you're welcome anytime at my shop. I'll even throw a free crepe or two as an apology for Goro's shameful behavior."

The life slowly returned to Buster's face as he smiled, "You mean, we don't have to pay money?"

"Yep, only when I say so. But–" Mr. Ono pointed a stern finger at Buster, "I want you on your best behavior next time I see you. I run a respectable business, you hear. So, I don't want to see any shenanigans like earlier."

Buster gave him a thumbs up. "I'll do my best, Mr. Oh-no." 

"Right…" Mr. Ono gave him a quizzical look, "One last thing." His eyes returned to Noel, "I don't know why he's fixated on you knowing where Tenmei is, but you don't have to indulge his delusions. Just come to me if he ever tries to harass you again, understand?" 

She nodded, "Thank you, Mr. Ono."

With that, he began to walk away. "And who knows," he said at the mouth of the alley, "You might run into my son, I have a feeling you and he would get along real well." 

Noel had no idea what that meant, but she waved him off as Mr. Ono disappeared from sight. 

1