Vol. 7 Chapter 72- Those Who are Precious
2 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kaas had experienced rain only once before in his life. It was warm then as well, over one thousand Earth years ago. He had decided to travel a dark forest in search of a rumored beast said to have killed over two hundred humans.

Not that he cared about the lives of humans, but if an animal could have that high a body count, it might be worth facing in combat.

Unfortunately, Kaas did not manage to find the creature before Urzuran's portal forced him back to Sohaud, but he did bear witness to a powerful storm that almost made him forget about his mission entirely.

No book or drawing could ever compare to the experience of standing beneath the heavens as they opened above him and showered him with it lifedew. It was truly an awe inspiring moment.

Centuries later, that feeling was much the same. Even if the rain did have the stench of the city. The others, however, did not share his feelings.

"I hate this–!" sulked Aaska as all six of them sat beneath the bridge and watched the water pour around them. "–It's been doing this rain thing for days!" Naaro was back by Aaska's side. On the other side of the canal. Alén was there, while Kaas, Tykus, and Ludd sat together on their side.

Kaas shook his head, "Come now, I thought you liked splashing around in the rain." 

Naaro folded her arms atop her knees; Aaska did the same, "Yeah, but that was before we knew that getting wet was easier than drying off–" "–we're cold, Kaas. Make the rain stop!"

"You know I can't." As much as Kaas appreciated the rain's beauty, even he had to admit that he was getting tired of it. Rather, he was getting tired of listening to the others' constant whining. 

It was mostly Aaska and Naaro, but even Ludd and Tykus had complained on occasion.

"My invisibility doesn't work at all in this rain," Ludd grumbled. "I feel exposed." He chewed the ends of his pointed thumb, a bad habit that Kaas had thought he squashed out of the boy. One stern look from Kaas sent Ludd's thumb back into his pocket.

"It's all right, Ludd. Nobody will be walking around in this."

Tykus nodded at that, "Still, we even monitor the girl without our cover being washed off in the rain. She might be off training somewhere as we speak."

That was true. The girl had to be growing stronger every day with the help of that Brinn boy. Kaas even thought he sensed Oriander in close proximity to her at one point. If he was involved in her training in any way, she would be unrecognizable when they next saw her, let alone in less than a month when the girl would be away from the Hidaar's protection. 

And if Ludd's information was correct, the girl would be traveling to the mountains soon. Alone. Well, with a group of fellow humans, but out of the Hidaar's reach. That would be when they struck. 

Though, why Darris would ever allow the girl out of his clutches for any period of time was still a mystery to Kaas. The Hidaar had command of the portal; there was nowhere the girl could go that he could not follow. 

It was almost like he wanted someone to attack the girl. Like he knew they were here. 

Kaas looked around at the others. More than once, he had felt the seeds of suspicion grow within him.

It would not be the first time he had been betrayed by those supposedly loyal, but every time those feelings arose, he squashed them back down again. He hated the idea that any of these children would ever turn their back on him. 

He did not want to suspect any of them. It made him sick to his stomach to even think of it. Kaas looked from the twins, still complaining; to Alén, who was as silent as ever as she held a cupped hand under the edge of the bridge and let it fill with streaming water; and to Tykus and Ludd as they quietly conversed. 

They were more than his soldiers now, he had told Alén that much. But what they were…allies felt like the wrong name to use. Alén's words rang in his mind.

You are like that human…Papa…Father…

He shuddered at the notion. He was not!

But even still, he was emotionally invested in their well being. He came to that conclusion after his talk with Tykus. And though he hated to admit it, he had been invested since meeting each of them. 

He could see them as their younger selves in his mind's eye. All so small, and all seemed helpless. But there was a fierceness in their eyes that revealed their hidden strength. Even Ludd, whom he never knew as a true child. 

The boy was already well into his teenage years when Kaas had literally stumbled into him lying invisible in a huddle against a wall in the Zeroth. 

He could not see what he tripped on. All that lay on the dark ground was dirt. Kaas stared as if he expected for something to appear. But nothing. Everything was still. 

It must have been his imagination. He could not sense an aura or any sign of life nearby besides Tykus, who was approaching from the south. 

How odd. He must be tired from training. Kaas placed a hand on the dirt where he thought he had tripped. Again, nothing but cold earth. 

With one last look at the spot, Kaas stood and turned around to find Tykus walking toward him. His eyes regarded him with curiosity. 

"What were you looking at, old man?"

"Nothing, let's get back to the others." If Alén and the twins were not back in the cave by the time they got there, he'd make them run laps around the slime lake until they collapsed from exhaustion!

Tykus glanced at the spot Kaas had been crouching over before saying, "You're eyes must be going. Getting too old, Kaas." 

"Enough of that, my eyes are as good as ever." 

Tykus's lips parted to expose his teeth as he grinned, "You sure about that?"

Without warning Tykus's arm shot out from his side and pressed against the stone wall. His fingers were curled around nothing, and yet, that nothing let out a screech as the dirt below Tykus's outstretched hand. 

Kaas marveled at the sight as the kicked up dust settled upon a pair of thin legs squirming in all directions. Above Tykus's hands were a pair of wide blue eyes staring at them in terror. 

"What the–?" Kaas approached the newly-visible legs. How had he managed to miss such bright eyes in this darkness?

"D-d-d-d-d-don't h-hurt me! I wasn't gonna do nothing, I swear!" The voice was high and reedy, but distinctly male.

Now that he knew of this person's existence, he could detect his aura. Though it was so faint, it was no wonder he had passed it over. No one could blame him for missing it. He wasn't getting old.

He might have missed the aura the first time, but he did not miss the rather peculiar sight of dents popping into existence on Tykus's massive forearms followed by the sound of skin hitting skin as the invisible Ahngreel no doubt pounded his fists into his captors' flesh. Smaller dents followed and raked across the length of Tykus's arm in rows of four, leaving behind trails of white scratches. The Ahngreel was attempting to claw his way out of the choke hold, yet none of the scratches drew even a drop of blood. 

Tykus did not wince at all as more and more scratches appeared on his stony skin. On the contrary, he threw back his head and laughed, "What are you trying to do, little guy? You think you can do anything to me with those puny attacks?"

"They're the best I got," the other answered in a strained voice. "And I won't stop until you let me go."

Kaas stepped closer with a handful of dirt that he scooped from the ground, "Not until we're finished with you. Are you a spy? Who sent you?" If word about any of his team's abilities were to get out, they would be finished.

He tossed the dirt into the place he thought the Ahngreel's head was. Turned out he was right as it revealed a thin face with shaggy hair framing it. It was only visible in patches, but Kaas could tell enough from the face as it sputtered and spat that it belonged to someone young.

"Not a spy. Honest!" said the Ahngreel after spitting out plenty of dirt, "I'm just a nobody. A weak nobody trying to get by."

"Weak, you say?" Kaas looked the boy up and down–well as much as he could with him being half invisible. "Then how did you manage to survive this long? You're what? Thirteen?"

"I'm sixteen," he said, "And the only reason I've lived this long is because…" His words trailed into mumbles. 

"What did you say?"

The boy's words were louder but still inaudible. 

"Speak clearly!" Tykus pulled his fist back and slammed it back into the wall. The boy grunted in pain. 

"I said I'm a coward who avoids fighting." He hung his head in shame. "I'm no Ahngreel. But is it wrong to wanna live? Without fighting, I mean?"

Kaas and Tykus were silent, which the boy took as a sign to ramble on, "It's not as if I don't wanna fight… It's just I can't, okay. I'm not strong. So, I hide. It's the best I can do…Please let me go."

Kaas exchanged a look with Tykus, "You know we can't do that."

He heard the boy swallow, then sigh. "I get it. If that's what you gotta do, then you gotta do it. It's my fault for sleeping in a weird spot, anyway."

Kaas could not see the boy's arms go limp, but judging by the look on Tykus's face, the boy had physically surrendered. "Very well, then. Tykus, kill him." Even if he wasn't lying about being a spy, ensuring the boy could not speak would be the best course of action. 

He did not have the strength to return if what he said was to be believed. They would at least grant him a courtesy and drop his corpse off on the floor above so he could join the rest of the weak in the lake. They were not savages.

The sight of the twins on their feet and waving their arms in the air was enough to pull Kaas out of his memories. He stared at them in utter bewilderment as they danced in unison while rhythmically chanting together, "Rain, rain, leave us alone. Die in a hole, die in a hole!" over and over.

The twins' dance became more elaborate as they thrust their arms outward at the rain with every use of the words "alone" and "hole" as if casting a spell and, squatting and spreading their legs wide,  shuffled from side to side. 

"What are you two doing?" He was more curious than angry, but his tone still came off as harsh. 

The twins grinned at him, "Weren't you paying any attention–?" "–It's the rain dance Ludd just taught us."

Ludd flashed Kaas a toothy grin. "Yeah, so, I read in a book that humans sometimes danced to kill the rain." The boy screwed up his face in thought, "‘Course, it could've been the other way around, but we'll never know unless we try."

That sounded absolutely ridiculous, but Kaas saw an opportunity. He scooted closer to Ludd and leaned in closer to mutter, "Do you really think it will work?"

"Not at all," Ludd muttered back, "I just wanted to see if those two would do a stupid dance if I told them."

Kaas raised his eyebrows, "That right?" He watched the twins continue to dance, they seemed really into it as they swayed their hips and added the occasional spin, always in perfect synchronization.  

Even Tykus and Alén seemed to find some entertainment as their eyes followed the twins' dance. Tykus was even tapping his foot along to their rhythm as they picked up the pace.

"Rain, rain, leave us alone. Die in a hole, die in a hole!"

He heard Ludd whisper, "I taught them the words, too. Told them it was ancient Earth magic, but I really just made them up on the spot."

"They certainly look ridiculous, I'll give them that. Might also burn some of that pent up energy they seem to have in abundance."

"Doubt it," said Ludd, "More likely that the rain will stop before that ever happens."

As if the universe had heard him, the roar of the rain quieted into a shout, then a growl, and finally into silence apart from the occasional drip. 

The twins jumped up and down in celebration, whooping and cheering. "It worked! We did it!" they shouted before charging off to run and cartwheel through the grass. 

Kaas could not see his own expression, but he assumed that it was the same bemused befuddlement as Ludd's as they watched the twins flop about. Tykus and Alén were not as surprised, Tykus even began to rise to his feet. 

"They're being way too reckless! We'll be caught at this rate." He looked to Kaas for help, but Kaas remained where he was.

"Calm yourself, they won't be gone long." 

Sure enough, the twins returned within a minute, dripping with water, their brown hair matted to their faces.

"We forgot the ground was still wet–" said Aaska. "–and we're still cold," added Naaro.

Kaas smirked, "Well then, I hope you've learned a valuable lesson about running in without thinking."

The twins thought for a moment, then shook their heads together, "Eh, not really–" "–we'll probably do it again just to annoy you."

He sighed, "As I thought." At least they were honest. Kaas stood, "I'll keep watch on the girl today." He glanced at each of the others, his eyes lingered on Alén, who avoided his gaze. "Ludd, you come with me."

Ludd stood as well, "Sounds good, Kaas."

"Tykus, keep the twins out of trouble."

Tykus grunted, "I'll do my best."

Kaas knew he was asking the impossible. The twins would either find trouble or make it themselves if they were bored enough.

"And you two, warm yourselves in the sun. Be on your best behavior." 

The two grunted their acknowledgement, though he doubted they were listening. He could see the light of mischief twinkling in their eyes. Despite himself, Kaas smiled at that, which faded slightly as he saw Alén. 

"You, too."

She twitched her head, but otherwise did nothing. 

Once Kaas and Ludd were invisible, they set out in the direction of the park where the girl had made a habit of visiting. Unfortunately, she was not there. Nor was Brinn. 

She was not at her dwelling either. They were not thorough in their investigation as they sensed Oriander's familiar presence somewhere close and proceeded to the girl's school. It was past time for her to be there, but there were still people wandering the halls, so it was not impossible. Not there either. 

 At a loss, Kaas and Ludd planted themselves under a secluded tree close to the girl's usual walkway. Where was she? Her trip was not for another few weeks.

"Should head back, then, Kaas?"

"Not yet," he grumbled, "Let's just enjoy the peace and quiet for a bit longer." 

They were silent as they sat there, watching the occasional passerby or bird that entered their field of vision. The longer they sat, the more dark thoughts entered Kaas's mind. He had not chosen Ludd at random. 

After a while, Kaas finally spoke, "Do you remember why I chose to spare you that day we met?"

"Huh?" The only part of Ludd Kaas could see was Ludd's wide blue eyes. "Yeah? Tykus refused to kill me when you told him to. Then he changed your mind."

Tykus stared at Kaas defiantly, "C'mon! This kid's managed to survive this long with that Talent. Imagine what we could do with that power!"

"No, he's past recruitment age," The older they got, the higher the chance of betrayal. It would be easy enough for the boy to slip away at the opportune moment. 

"It's not just because of Tykus. And before you ask, it's not just because of your Talent," he added when the inside of Ludd's mouth appeared. 

"Then why?" 

The boy had slipped from his Tykus's fingers as they were arguing. 

"Stay where you are, boy or I'll break you in half!" shouted Kaas when he saw Tykus make a fist that was supposed to be holding their prisoner. However, what little of the Ahngreel he could see had made no attempt to run away.

"You're creating a team, right?" The boy's eyes were nearly round with how wide they were. "With other strong Ahngreel, right?"

 "That is none of your concern!" said Kaas. He turned back to Tykus, who was bearing down on him. "See? Now look at what you've done! He knows too much!"

The boy spoke again, "Yeah, well, to be fair, you're not exactly keeping your voices down, are you?"

The boy withered beneath Kaas's glare, but managed to respond with, "You guys don't look like the stealthy type. I can help with that." They both glared at him. "Y-you definitely look strong. Very Ahngreel, but with my help, you could stand right next to the Hidaar and not be noticed. I have the power to suppress aura, too."

They were silent, allowing the boy to ramble on, "And if I'm surrounded by strong guys like you, I won't have to worry about dying anytime soon. It's what I like to call mutually beneficial."

The boy at last became visible. He was thin, and lanky with a mess of black hair that paled into silver at the tips. His smile was all teeth as he held out his hands to them, "Wadaya say? Teammates?"

Kaas stared at the boy. Despite his frail appearance, intelligence glittered in his eyes.

Tykus was nodding, but Kaas was more shrewd. He reached for the boy's hand and grasped it tightly. Not in agreement, but as a power move. And the boy knew it.

"Say, that's a strong grip you got there." He winced in pain as Kaas's fingers tightened even more. "Really strong…" Kaas let go and let the boy stumble back, blowing on his fingers, and tears in his eyes. 

Kaas watched the boy smugly, "If you join us, you will surrender your will to me. I am your leader."

"Of course," said the boy. 

"Your power belongs to me."

"It will." 

Kaas's eyes became sharp, "I mean it, boy. You are no longer an individual, you are part of a unit. You will train under my regiment every single day until I am satisfied."

The boy's eyes glittered. "You will? Does that mean I can become strong like you?"

"Better. It will be painful. You might not be up to the challenge."

There was fire in the Ahngreel's eyes as he stared at Kaas, "I'll do it. Anything to become stronger. I want to be strong." He looked at his hands, his brows knotting.

Tykus, who had been watching the whole exchange, chose to speak, "Didn't you say you wanted to live without fighting?"

"That's only because I'm not strong. I spent my whole life running away. And thanks to my power, I've been able to get away with it. But, y'know, even someone as weak as me wishes they had the power to change. Even if it means I have to fight."

Kaas stared into Ludd's eyes, at the boy who had worked as hard as any other soldier, yet did not show any improvement.

"Did you mean what you said to me back then? When you told me you wanted to be stronger?" 

"You know I did." The boy's eyes found the ground. "I still do. I just wish my body weren't like this."

Kaas had seen the sweat, the blood, and the hidden tears. Ludd had been as good as his word. The universe, however, had a different plan. 

"If I need someone to crush a rock in one hand or lift something heavy, I'd ask Tykus." Kaas put a hand on the boy's invisible shoulder, which prompted his eyes to lift. "If I need someone to move swiftly or backflip on command, I'd ask Alén or the twins. They are impressive when it comes to feats of strength and athleticism. But that is not what makes them strong."

"It's not?"

"No. Does having large muscles help? Certainly, but they are strong because they are able to seize their moment when it arises. To act in their role as they are needed. And while you can't do what they can, they also can't do what you can."

"What, run away and let others fight for me?" Ludd did not sound happy about that.

"If that's what it takes. You are strong in your own right, Ludd. Without you or your blood, where would we be?"

Ludd's mood seemed to sour at that, "Is that all I'm good for? My blood?"

"No, not at all." His grip on Ludd's shoulder tightened, "I did not see your true value at the time. But at the very least, I saw the potential of value. And sometimes, that's enough."

"That's all I am, then, potential. Never contributing, always hiding."

"Not at all. I could not imagine this team without you. Without your intelligence or your insight, even your silly metaphors. Though our time together has been brief, you are as precious to me as any of the others. I want you to never forget that."

Twin trails of skin appeared below Ludd's eyes as tears washed away his invisible blood. "Me? Precious?"

"Yes. You are my strength. All of you are. Without any of you, I'd be…" Kaas's words caught in his throat. Where would he be? Who would he be? If even one of his soldiers resented him in secret, it would be the equivalent of losing a limb. "I'd be nothing. Just a fool with useless ambition. I need you."

"I need you, too, Kaas. We all do. And nothing will change that fact."

"And you would do nothing to compromise that?" Kaas's stare was hard, desperate.

Ludd was silent for a long time, expression unreadable thanks to his invisibility. Then he said, "Never."

The cynical, logical part of Kaas would scoff at his words. He must be lying. If there was anyone who would turn their back on him, it would be the boy who had everything to gain by joining the Hidaar. 

But then again, they all would benefit from leaving him behind. He was obsolete, afterall. Doomed for eternity in the lake once death finally caught him for the last time. 

And yet, a warmth filled Kaas's chest at Ludd's response. It compelled him to pull the boy close and wrap his arms around his frail body and share some of the warmth that was spilling from him. It was the part of him that he had invested into these children, training them, raising them, wishing for all their ambitions to be fulfilled. 

All of them, even Ludd, had surpassed him in strength long ago. Maybe they no longer thought they needed them, but Kaas could never again deny that he needed them. Not as soldiers, but as precious children. His children.

And if, one day, their ambitions took them on a path where he was an obstacle, the pain would be unbearable. 

But that moment was not now. Kaas hoped beyond hope that it was far, far in the future, long after he had become Hidaar. 

Despite their cozy existence here on Earth, the reality was that it would not last forever. His own ambition was too strong to be content hiding for eternity. He had promised his children that he would take them to the top no matter what. Even if that meant his own doom. 

That was the fate the universe had dealt him. It was as inevitable as Aaska and Naaro getting on Tykus's nerves. Or Alén's gloomy silence. Or Ludd coming up with another ridiculous metaphor. All of which grated on his nerves, but one in which he now welcomed. They were his leaves, after all. He would hold on to them as long as possible. 

And if it meant he could be happy with the time he had left, then Kaas was willing to push down that logical, cynical part of himself and hold his boy in his arms.

His heart swelled with pride at his ability to pick such quality children.

1