8. At the arcade
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Like a happy kid, Melanie walked forward looking around her, while Jacob followed her. He looked at their intertwined hands and smiled like a fool. He realized that Melanie had not noticed it. But who was he to point it out to her when he wanted to hold her hand forever?

Melanie took in the huge arcade, her eyes sparkling at the games in there. She had always found this place to be heaven since childhood. But after her parents' demise, she had not stepped into one. This was one of the famous arcades in the country and many people came here to play. Right now there were quite a few kids and teenagers busy in a game battle with their groups.

"Come. Let's go and buy our passes." Jacob said, pulling her towards the counter. It was only then that she realize that they were holding hands. She immediately tried to free her hand. But Jacob was having none of it. Instead, he held her hand firmly and walked beside her.

"We don't want you losing in the ocean of people, do we?" He asked smirking, making her heart skip a beat. At that moment, Jacob looked so charming that her heart was fluttering like a hummingbird. She couldn't hide her embarrassment and she blushed like an idiot.

Realizing that she couldn't free her hands, she went along with him towards the counter. They bought their passes.

"What shall we play first?" Jacob asked looking around.

"How about Daytona USA?" Melanie suggested looking at the two-player racing device in front of her.

"Do you wanna try it?"

"Why not?"

"Come on then."

The couple went to the racing game and took their seats. Melanie looked at the control buttons as Jacob explained to her calmly how they functioned. When the two were comfortable with the keys, they started the game. Shouts and cheers were heard when the other person took over the player in the front.

Though it was a normal match, the two played as if their life depended on it. Jacob was a pro in the game, so it was given that he would win. Seeing that Melanie was a newbie, he slowed down a little.

"If you are slowing down for me on purpose, then I am going to whoop your ass. Get going." Melanie commanded, shocking Jacob. It was the first time he was hearing her curse. He looked at her and in his momentary distraction, Melanie surpassed him.

"Woo hoo." She exclaimed, breaking Jacob's reverie. Not ready to lose the match, he buckled up and in the end, he won.

"That was great." Melanie expressed, her face blooming like a flower. Jacob could do nothing but stare at her in a daze.

"What shall we play next?" She turned to look at him already gazing at her intently. His deep eyes bored into her, making her fidgety.

"Ugh... Hello." She cleared her throat and waved her hands in front of him finally breaking his daze.

"Yes?"

"What shall we play next?" This time her voice came out quite weak like she was attempting to hide something.

"How about pinball? Let's make a bet."

"What bet?" Melanie asked raising her eyebrows.

"Whoever loses will have to buy coffee," Jacob suggested with a grin.

"Sure." Melanie agreed at once, taking a sigh of relief. She had thought the bet to be something else.

They approached the pinball machine and this time Jacob did not have to teach her the controls. It was quite easy. Jacob played first, easily maneuvering the ball missing the jackpot once. But on the second time, he hit it. He gave Melanie a proud look, making her scoff. He played for another seven minutes and the game ended.

Now it was Melanie's turn. Being as clumsy as ever, she couldn't control the keys properly although she had studied them when Jacob was playing. So, it was no wonder that she lost the game again.

"Thank you for the coffee," Jacob said pleased with himself.

"You must be. It is not every day that I buy a man a coffee." Melanie sassed as they walked towards the cafeteria.

"Then I am honored." Jacob bowed making her chuckle.

"What do you want?"

"An americano."

"One American and an iced tea," Melanie ordered as she fished out the money from her pockets. Seeing her do so, Jacob stopped her.

"Hey, hey, hey. I was just kidding. How can I allow a beautiful lady to pay when I am here?"

"Do you say this to all the beautiful ladies?" Melanie asked, looking at him innocently, though she was enjoying teasing him inwardly.

"What gave away?" He blinked making her smile. "No seriously. I'll pay."

"No way. I lost the bet, so let me." Having no choice, Jacob agreed to her wishes.

"How about this? Whoever loses the next game will have to buy snacks and you are not supposed to lose on purpose." She said with a stern face and Jacob could only nod.

"Okay."

"Great. What shall we play next?"

"How about bowling?"

"I was waiting for you to suggest it," Melanie said and the duo went to the bowling alley.

"Are you good at it?"

"You will see."

Melanie and Jacob changed their shoes and went to their alley. There were five alleys in total. One of them was already occupied with a lot of boys playing in teams. The other four were unoccupied. They went to the last one, away from the group.

"So, shall we start?" Jacob asked getting a nod from Melanie.

"Do you want to go first?" He smiled at her waiting for her response.

"It's fine. I want to see how you are going to perform."

"Okay. Then get ready to see some awesome bowling."

"With pleasure." Melanie sipped her iced tea as she looked at Jacob playing. On the first try, he knocked out seven pins. He turned to pick another ball and glanced at Melanie in pride. On his second try, he got two pins. The single pin was away from the other two making it difficult for him to get a spare. He had got a nine.

"Now your turn."

"Okay." Melanie tried the balls with different weights. She finally settled for a medium-weighted one. Though she had bowled well, it moved towards the left and went to fall in the gutter. Jacob chuckled, making her huff in annoyance. She picked up the next ball and this time she knocked out all the balls. Jacob looked at her in surprise and she shrugged in response. She had got a bonus for her next try.

Unable to accept what he had seen, Jacob narrowed his eyebrows. In his second try too, he had knocked out nine pins. However, Melanie did not have the luck she had before, she could only knock out six pins. Still, she was leading by two points.

The game went on until the last frame. By then, the winner was already decided. Melanie was leading the game by eleven points. Even if Jacob got a strike, he would not be able to defeat her. So, the last frame was played just to end the game.

"I am impressed. You are quite good at this." He praised. However, the next words he heard made him close his eyes in sorrow.

"Thanks. But the compliments will not fill my stomach. Now, go buy me snacks." Jacob could only smile at the interesting woman before him.

0