Chapter 1: I prefer to sleep (revision)
1.6k 5 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1: I prefer to sleep (revision)

Spoiler

I hope you all like the revision, it took me a bit but I think it is more fitting with the future themes

[collapse]

Slowly the rustle of the trees gave way to small birds chirping, a lovely sound, the thump of a car door and a mumbling sigh. Another day was about to begin and the lady of the house wanted nothing more… then to sleep under a nice tree.

“Lady Samantha wake up! Breakfast will be ready, and your bath has be drawn, please hurry, we wouldn’t want to miss the day, now do we?”

The birds where especially noisy today… nothing would come of sleeping in, so though groggy, the lady got up, opened her door and walked past her maid. Brushing her hand through her hair before sighing while looking at something, a mirror, one she always looked at as she left her room, it always stared back with a unforgettable figure… herself, a body she never earned.

Shaking away her thoughts and musings on her current, and past, life the young lady, Samantha, started her way to the bath that was prepared for her. She never did get used to her life, even after a year of living it. Brushing her body down with soap she looked around the bathroom, which felt more like a gym locker room that was refitted for one person, she sighed again.

“Why is it so large? I only wanted it reasonably sized.”

“Because, my lady, this would be reasonable for anyone of your status.”

“Ack! Ah uh um oh it’s you, Liana, you caught me by surprise. Sorry for scre-“

Shaking her head the maid, whom was undressed and washing up herself, sighed while saying.

“Nonsense my lady, this one should have spoken before surprising the young lady.”

Still somewhat surprised the young lady nodded slowly and turned away, hoping their maid didn’t notice her blush. She never got used to this life, the maids where all lovely looking and pleasant to talk too, but the fact she was allowed in the same areas as them never sunk. No matter how hard she tried.

“*cough* right well… just because I know why, doesn’t mean it still doesn’t bother me.”

Changing the subject back to the, to her standards, unreasonably sized bathroom, the young lady once again tried to complain about its size.

“It shouldn’t though my lady, especially since the madam and master would be mortified to hear the young lady speak of this room in such a manner. I’m certain you wouldn’t wish for such, yes?”

With a choking sound and a coughing fit the lady looked to her maid in horror, not due to coughing on spittle, but from the comment that caused such a act to take place.

“Y-you wouldn’t tell them. Right? Liana? Please?” 

In a shaky voice the young lady asked her maid, who in return only smiled. Then as if on cue a bell rang and the maid spoke as they got out of the bath.

“You’d best get dressed my lady, the food has been made and is ready to be eaten. The driver shall be called, the principal will be informed of your departure and likely time of arrival.”

With wide eyes and flustered words the young lady followed her maid, who began to dress her in the new school uniform that was prepared for the lady. 

The uniform was simple and elegant, the top was two fold, the first was a long sleeved undershirt the buttoned up near the neckline, it was white in color and had pansy entwined with snapdragon Sewn into the hem. 

The second layer was a lighter vest, it was deep purple in color and had golden trimmings. 

The school provided skirts or pants for the students, and although the young lady wished to wear the pants, which where long and gold in color with purple accents, the maid quickly shot that idea down. The long skirt was put on, with the lady bemoaning how she despised such wear. 

It was long and purple in color, with intricate design, using snapdragon and pansy in equal measure, all made in a gold thread.

There was a jacket, but it being only the start of autumn those where oft left at home. 

“Oh my lady you look stunning, I must say! Please look yourself in the mirror, you must simply see it!”

 The maid was practically glowing, her smile went from ear to ear and she couldn’t get the simple cheeriness out of her voice. The young lady, on the other hand, sighed and turned around… and sighed again, this time from how beautiful they looked, the purple skirt floated softly up from the turning, before settling down over her feet, the flowers seemed to shimmer and move as it did, and the parts not looking like a flower seemed like stars. Going up the vest kept the dignity and elegancy that was expected, and with the purple again giving off a night sky like view, with he lady’s hair on her falling to the side it was truly a sight to see, with the white it looked like a moon glowing behind the night sky and completed the look.

“I really look like this?”

A airy, almost whispered voice broke the silence. The young lady stared, mesmerized by her visage before. *ring ring*. A small bell on the wall rung and the maid snapped to attention.

“Right, the driver is ready, you should best be going my lady, wouldn’t wish to be late now.”

“Ah… yes… right.”

The lady sort of, meandered away from the mirror, still stunned, it seemed, by her own beauty. As the lady left her room the other maids in the house started stopping to catch a glimpse of the lady, the skirt flowing behind her along with her hair. As the lady passed the kitchen the cook, a not so thin woman with a hearty laugh and rosy cheeks stopped her.

“You might ‘ant to take this hon’ not right ‘at the lady goes without eatin’”

“Ah um thank you Ms. Fairchild.”

“Yeah yeah, get on girly, drivers wa’in.”

With a nod, after being handed a basket and a small bag, the young lady picked up her pace and quickly moved down the halls, only stopping to move out of the maids way. As she got to the garage, where the driver was waiting, Liana tapped the lady on her shoulder.

“Hm? What is it?”

“You’ll do fine, and I hope you do well my lady Samantha.” 

Taken aback by the simple encouragement the lady simple nodded, smiled, and thanked her maid, before entering the car. With a sigh as the door closed behind her she looked out the window.

“Well… time to meet people… *sigh* I hope I can get some sleep in.”


The drive had been long, the introduction to the principal longer. Now all she was doing was waiting to be called in, all the other students had already gone inside and the teacher was starting to talk.

“Well before we get to role call,-“

Assuming that was her cue to prepare she smoothed out her dress, checked that her hair wasn’t in her face, and waited.

“- a new student at our school!”

She didn’t like how excitedly the teacher spoke, her face seemed almost beaming as she continued. Motioning for her to enter. As she walked in, she looking around she saw all the students staring at her, she didn’t like it.

“This, class, is Samantha Nort. She will be in our class for the foreseeable future, treat her well!”

‘Yeah to much enthusiasm.’ The new student thought, she didn’t see anything wrong with it, but it felt unsettling. Rather then be intimidated though she spoke.

“Hello everyone, it is nice to meet all of you. I am, as the teacher said, Samantha Nort, though please just call me Sam.”

She gave her normal introduction. She practiced it a hundred time, maybe a thousand, mainly because her mother would never let her get away with anything less then perfect… and the curse only amplified it. The teacher interrupted her contemplation saying.

“Alright, enough introductions, Samantha you can take the seat beside Nami, now role call.”

As the teacher began girls sounded off as their name was called. Walking slowly to the open seat she saw a cute girl, wearing a similar shirt, vest, and skirt as her, though with a more modest chest size, hazel eyes, and brownish black hair.

“Is it alright if I take a seat? I don’t want too be a bother so… if you wish me elsewhere do say.”

The cute girl, going by Nami, seemed confused and shook her head vigorously, 

“N-no please do! I um, I’m Nami as you heard from teacher.”

The cute girl started stuttering as she spoke. To try and make things less awkward Sam sat down saying.

“A lovely name it is, I hope we can become close friends as the year goes on, yes?”

“Uh yeah yeah, let’s get along. Hah… here!”

The teacher called the girls name as the two talked, as if finishing their conversation Sam announced herself to the teacher, and then right after, the cute girls name was called. As the class started Sam sighed, she really didn’t want this, why did she have such a horrid fate? 

‘Why must I be sat near a cute girl? And she’s nice too! Now how am I supposed to get sleep during classes I already know?’

With another sign she decided to learn for now, at least till she was left alone.


‘Hah… how did it get to this?’

Sam was left wondering why, of all the places to be talked to, the cafeteria was where she was stopped. She just wanted to rest her head while drinking her tea! Of course she never spoke aloud, after all what would mother say? She simply answered when asked a question, ate when she could, and waited for a way out. Looking around she saw, what was her name… ah!Nami sitting on the other side, she gave them a nod before sighing.

‘Please someone get me out of here…’

As if on command a voice rang out behind the crowed.

“*ahem* could all of you, MOVE! Now!”

Recognizing the voice Sam got up, waving away the other girls nearby who turned around and almost started to protect her from the voice.

“Big sis!” “Little sis! Hey there how are you!”

“I’m well. Thank you for asking, how have you been?”

The crowed looked confused, scared, then it dispersed in rapid succession, most girls seemed scared of Sam’s sister, but she didn’t mind. More time to sleep she thought.

“I have been well, School treating you well?”

“It has, thank you for recommending it. Mother will be pleased to know it meets her, ‘requirements’.”

“Haha! Good good. Right why don’t we get something to eat, and you tell me about your day?”

“That sounds lovely.”

As they spoke they walked back to the table Sam had been sitting at, where they then talked for sometime. After the cafeteria incident the day went smoothly, the day soon came to a close and she went outside, waiting for her she saw the drivers car, but the doors were closed. As she walked closer the driver came out and opened the door, inside she saw whom was waiting, she smiled before saying,

“Mimi, please sit up, I know you’re there.”

“Phooey!” Getting off the chair was a small girl in a dragon hoodie and a smile. Her hair was gold like her two sisters, but she was less developed then the other two. With a chuckle Sam entered the car, where after the door closed.

“You can’t fool me little one, but it was a pleasant try.”

“Mmm” turning her head away in a childish manner, and attempting to look displeased, she only made her elder laugh more. 

“Please lady Mimi I will do anything, but do not turn your head away!” In mock sadness the sister messed with her younger.

“Let me pat pat you! Then all is forgiven!” With a gleam in her eye the young girl instantly capitalized on the word ‘anything’

“Hah… fine…” though somewhat reluctant she did allow her sister to do it, lowering her head down Sam waited for her younger to begin. Slowly she felt it, the happy glow, the warm fuzzy feeling, the melting feeling, it all came back. She had forgotten how addicting it felt, and how time passed so quickly from it, before long she felt the feeling disappear, dissatisfied though she may be it didn’t stop her from smiling. 

“Happy?”

“Happy!”

That smile was worth it, as if a wave of joy went over her she smiled and picked up her younger sibling, the warmth from simply seeing the smile needed to be spread. Rubbing her face against her sisters she chuckled, while the younger giggled. Life was good, and Sam didn’t ever want to get used to this happy feeling, not yet at least.

Which chapter 1 do you prefer?
  • First Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Revised Votes: 40 95.2%
Total voters: 42
28