Chapter 2 Is This A Secret Agency Or What? Cont. 4
105 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

—KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK—

I slowly open my eyes—it feels heavy—to the sounds of knocking and moms voice.

"Rin… Rin can you hear me?"

"I closed my eyes for a moment."

I whisper to myself. How long have I been… napping? I don't think I've been into nap that long. Give or take, 20 minutes I closed my eyes.

Standing up my whole body is once again enveloped in pain. I stand before sink. I see my reflection and something I didn't expect. My eyes have bags… I wasn't crying or anything. So why?

Maybe I'm now feeling the after effects of what happened yesterday? Thanks to the adrenalin which kept me from feeling any pain. But right now my body feels like it's been battered all over. Looking at myself, expression and all, it's just depressing.

Bearing the pain I walk to the door, unlock it and open just a little so only I can see her.

"Are you okay, hun? …You look terrible."

That's a mother for you. Trying to hide my face behind the door isn't enough. Intuition, I guess. She has a gentle, caring smile on but her eyes and facial expression contradicts. Mom is really complicated to read at times and sometime easy as a book. Today looks like one of those days.

"What it is?"

Did that sound rude? I didn't mean to but I'm just not in the mood to talk right now.

"Talk to me Rin… What happened? Who did that to you and why? How do you expect us to remain calm and not worry if you say nothing to us."

"...."

"Anyway, I made a call to you teacher about skipping school today. Is that alright with you?"

I didn't have any plans of going anywhere for a few days anyway. I don't want to be seen in this sorry state. I don't want to sound paranoid but what ever that thing was might be still out there, watching. I don't want to go anywhere and try to stay low for the time being. So I guess I should thank her.

"Yea, thanks."

"… Open up hun, I want to see you."

"Not now mom. I want to be alone."

"I know. I know but…"

I sigh. Honestly, I can never say no to mom no matter how I feel. She's my mom after all and I love her, as much as she loves me, maybe more. And I don't want to see that look on her face.

I give in and and open the door… Immediately she wraps her hands around me, embracing me. It's no surprise. Mom has always been the affectionate type.

"You don't have to tell us if you don't want to but we are always here for you. And the day you are ready to speak, we will be there to listening."

Aren't they overreacting much. I get how they must feel seeing me like this, how I came in yesterday but it's only a day. Maybe it's my fault for not saying anything, I couldn't help it. Yesterday, I was practically unconscious and even now if I do say it no one will believe me.

"Yea, sure."

"We are your family and no one would understand your predicament more than us."

Huh? What exactly do they think happened to me?

"Alright."

She lets go of me.

"Alright, breakfast will be ready soon. Why don't you come down when you're ready."

I don't have an appetite. But if I need strength I'm going to have to go down eventually. Or maybe…

"Sure… but could you bring it up for me?"

I don't want to go down.

She wears a worried look even if just a little… I think I know what she's thinking. She probably thing I'm withdrawing from them. She's not far from the truth though. I just want to be alone.

"… Sure. I'll have it up when it's ready."

"Thanks."

She turns walking away and I close the door and stand before the sink again.

I have to clean myself up… I didn't get to yesterday so whiles I'm in here, why don't I?

...…

After washing down I returned to my room. It should be a few past seven by now. Orino should be about going by now.

I sit on the bed, before remembering something. Quickly, I look around to find to my dress. I may be home but I'm still confused since I don't remember exactly what happened when I returned home…

Finding nothing, I realized the possibility of mom entering my room to take my dirty cloths out and had added it to the pile. With the way it is I'd have to get a new one.

Where's my phone, though? It was still in my pocket. I hope she didn't forget to check the pockets before putting it in the washer… Then I heard mom from below.

"Rinji, I took out your dirty cloths. I left your phone in your desk drawer."

I grab the phone from the drawer… Right, it's off… I place it on charge…

—DING DONG—

A few minutes passed while I was in my room when I hear the doorbell ring.

CHIIIIIIIIIIIII… BOBOBOBO…

I, Mrs Nonako, am busily preparing breakfast, along with lunch for my family, as usual… I'm worried about my baby, Rinji. He came yesterday injured and a mess and today, he's being distant. I sort of understand how he must feel considering what he might have gone through, but what mother seeing her child like that wouldn't—overreact, even if it was a small scratch on the skin—worry?

What must have happened to my Rinji? Right now, all I can do is be there for him and cook him great meals till he is ready to speak. But, who would dare hurt my baby? If I get my hands on whoever did this, I'll…

—DING DONG—

Who could that be? I don't believe we're expecting anybody.

"Can someone get that? ….."

Orino's probably getting ready for school. Her dad would be…  um… well… Guess I'll have to go myself.

Who could be here early in the morning?

I lower the fire underneath the pans and moves towards the door wiping my hands on the apron—though it's not dirty…

I open the door only to see…

"Nonako Rinji?"

…two individuals dressed in suits standing on the porch and their car parked outside. I stop myself from looking surprised.

What is going on? Why are there cops on my porch. And they are after Rinji (?). What's going on Rinji? What happened? What did you do?

"Yes,he's my son, how can I help you officers?"

I said maintaining my composure.

"Good morning Mrs. Nonako. My name is Andou Shijo and my partner over there's Oike Mai"

The one before me said as they both flashed their badges at me.

"Is your son home?"

He continued.

"Did something happen!? Is my son in trouble!?"

I sounded a bit desperate—them being here does make me worry after all. I have a bad feeling about this. If these detectives are here then whatever Rin went through must have been serious.

[Oh, Rin…]

"Well, it's a matter regarding your son and we would like to speak with him. If it isn't any trouble we would like him to come with us to the station to answer a few questions."

Standing out here with them would cause a lot of trouble. This neighbourhood is full of loudmouths and gossips. They'd go around spreading rumors that aren't true and I don't want that…

"Mom?"

I turn to see Orino standing on the stairs. She must have wanted to know who was at the door.

"What's going on?"

Before I say anything to her, I look to the detectives…

"Would you mind coming inside for a bit?"

…Plus I'd like to dig in a little deeper if I can. I have the right to that information, don't I?

The detective looks back to his partner before looking back at me.

"Sure, I suppose…"

I lead them into the sitting area and straight to the kitchen to prepare coffee for them.

WPHIIIIIIIIII…

The kettle whistles, telling me the water is ready, as I reach for a pair of teacups in the overhead cupboard.

CLINK.

They sound when they touch the glass coaster and I turn the fire underneath the kettle off.

"Mom, you still haven't answered me."

Orino is with me in the kitchen as worried as I am. We should have expected something like this eventually. Though we aren't sure of what happened but this should have been a possible outcome… but I don't know if I'm ready to hear what they have to say. I'm sure Orino feels the same for her brother.

I grab the instant coffee tin which was already sitting at the corner of the counter and drop a teaspoon in the small fine-strainer sitting on the cup.

"What's going on?"

I take the kettle off the stove and tilt it pouring hot water into the cup and do the same for the other.

"I'm not sure myself… Help me."

I place the kettle back on the stove. And picked up on of the cup along with the coaster, a small bowl of sugar cubes and Orino takes the other upon my request.

The gentleman received the cup from me and the lady from Orino.

"Thank you."

"Much appreciated."

They both replied.

I take a seat on the sofa that is on the side of the couch to the male detective. He drops in a couple of cubes giving the stir to the coffee with the teaspoon then placing it on the coaster and takes a sip as the female detective stirs her cup after placing her cube.

"What's going on?"

1